Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2005 and Earlier Chevrolet Impala

Comments

• larryfllarryfl Posts: 214
    Well, we took the plunge on Friday. My wife is currently showing off her '02 Navy Blue LS with sunroof, leather bench, cd/cassette, steering wheel radio controls and an additional preferred package or two.

The car had 6 miles when we took the test drive. After a trip to Universal studios on Saturday it now has about 230. It seems like a very nice car and my wife is thrilled.

We paid roughly $150 over invoice, got a fair wholesale trade-in on the old ford minivan and choose the preferred financing over the $2002 rebate.

While the salesman at our local dealership was very good, it still took FIVE AND A HALF HOURS to do the deal! Amazing. As much as I love to horse-trade, I HATE sitting around dealerships for hours twiddling my thumbs waiting to finalize the deal we had all agreed on hours before and take delivery of the vehicle.

Oh well. It's done and we're happy. Thanks for everyone's input. I'm looking forward to a lot of good information from this board!
  • dgonzalez13dgonzalez13 Posts: 110
    Interesting option. I have a 2000 Base Impala with 40K miles on it, after an oil change Friday it rides smoothe as the day i bought it last May 2001. I have the bench and love it for long trips or the rare 6 passenger situation. the car rides like a dream, and most people new to the car seem to ask how expensive it is to go out and get one. As far as the little negative comments on build quality and detail, though there must be some truth to those comments, I am happy with the car i have. no problems with quality, ride, power, or handling. Just wondering, how do you like the leather bench? (to all who have that option).
  • teoteo Posts: 2,508
    Leather bench has been an option on 2000 and 2001 Base Impalas. You could also order the leather front bench seats with the "Halo" LS headrests as well.

Front bench seats became an option on the Impala LS for 2002.
  • b4zb4z Posts: 3,372
    Congrats on the new car!! Mine is the same color.
  • roderacerroderacer Posts: 311
    CONGRATS !!!

RR
    Congratulations on your new Impala LS!!!!

So now who gets to drive it more? Already fighting over the keys? =)
  • garypengarypen Posts: 1,482
    Congratulations! Is it a boy or a girl?
  • night_owl1night_owl1 Posts: 760
    I hope you didn't spray the foam into the void space behind the wheelwell. It will trap water and could lead to rusting. I've seen it happen on the older cars.

I have not heard anything rattling back there, though.
  • larryfllarryfl Posts: 214
    dgonzales13: The LS comes standard with the console and buckets. The bench seat is apparently a no-charge "option", but to get it, you have to order the leather (don't ask me why) and that's NOT a no-charge option. We wanted the bench because - with 5 in family and my Aurora already w/ buckets and a console - we needed the occasional 6th passenger capability.

b4z: Nice color! The LS is a nice, good looking car. The wife's definitely "styling".

Teo: For now, the Aurora wiill work for me. (anything to maintain the peace in our happy home) :-)
  • cabellocabello Posts: 101
    I need to change the fuel filter. Does anybody that has done this remember and maybe have some tips? Thanks for your help
  • garypengarypen Posts: 1,482
    Don't smoke while doing it.
  • Many happy miles of driving ahead. The LS is a great car. I have mine for a little of a year with 15000 miles on her, and she purrs. She grows on me everyday. Mine is a 2001 Galaxy Silver with many options including sunroof too. Goodluck!!!
  • hunter39hunter39 Posts: 375
    My suggestion would be to have something ready to catch all of the gas that it holds, it is a very easy install though and for the life of me can't fi8gure out why the dealership charges upwards of 50.00 for it. The filter cost was 9.99 at AutoZone (Fram)and it will be easier to change if you can lift the left side of the car, as there isn't that much clearance and it will be easier to get at. An open ended wrench and a pair of channel locks worked best for me. Just be careful of the gas, it holds half a pint at least plus whatever might be in the line.

Oh by the way, I have an extra set of "halo" pleather headrests around if anyone needs them(grey)...
  • No problems till yesterday. When I started my '01 Impala (3.8) in the morning, the "Low Coolant Level" light came on. I checked the level and noticed that it was correctly at the line for a cold engine. I drove the car and the light went out several miles later. The same occurrences happened each time after starting the car yesterday and today. The light would come on at start and go off after some driving. This morning, it took 15 miles in the morning for the light to go off. After work this evening, the light went out after two miles. I called my Local Chevy Service Department and explained the problem. The technician first asked me if I had ever changed the oil. I told him that I had changed it at 3,000 miles and I reset the computer at that time (the car is now at 6,000 miles). He then mentioned something about a sensor perhaps going bad (If I heard him correctly I think he said a leveling sensor).

I'm bringing it in on Friday for the service department to check it out. Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Otherwise the car had been great and a lot of fun to drive!

John
  • 00impala00impala Posts: 474
    cabello....Prior to un-doing the Fuel Filter, Remove the Gas Cap to help alleviate any pressure,(Very low to begin with but none-the-less it is there) I know there is a kind of air valve type thing on the Fuel Line at the Fuel Rail as it leads to the injectors (has a Black Cap over it) that you can depress and that lets the pressure out of the Fuel line, but in the same vain, you can just remove the cap. That is what I did and it was a Snap.
  • Been reading up on the new Pontaic GTO for 2004, which is actually the Holden Monaro and I'm gonna be gettin rid of my Impala LS when GTO's start production. I need a bigger engine and the Gen III 5.7L will do it for me. Looks like the car will sell around $32,000. I also heard some rumors that The Impala will be replaced by the Australian Holden Commodore. Is that right? http://www.holden.com.au I can wait for that Monaro. I already fell in love with it from just pictures.

Chris

Http://members.cox.net/2001impala

• nosirrahgnosirrahg Posts: 870
    I backed the rear wheels of my Impala up onto my set of ramps when I changed my fuel filter, which provided plenty of room to move around under there. Even after removing the gas cap, I still had a pretty good spray of fuel initially; is there not any other way to relieve pressure on the system? I know on my old ('84) Buick, I used to have to disconnect something (maybe the fuse for the fuel pump?) and then try to start the car, which would burn the fuel in the line; but I don't know if there's a similar trick for the Impala.
    It could well be a faulty Coolant Level sensor; however, have the dealer check the upper mainifold intake gasket for actual coolant leaks as well.

If indeed there is a leak coming from the upper manifold intake, you'll notice a strong Coolant smell coming from the engine bay after shutting off the engine. If this is not the case, then it might be just replacing a defective sensor.

My '01 LS is almost 1 year old and ZERO problems to date.
  • brettcabrettca Posts: 34
    Thanks for the advice on the moisture retention, although fortunately, the area was so large up there I could tell it wasn't going to work when I tried squirting some up there and stopped, so there is not enough to retain any moisture. I thought I saw a TSB or a production date change that referred to the rear fenderwell modifications.

Brett.....
  • night_owl1night_owl1 Posts: 760
    The inner fender was changed from 2000 to 2001. There is an issue of the 2000 inner fender collecting rocks, debris, etc. There is a TSB to replace it (check out the News and TSBs page on http://www.impalahq.com/). The only problem is that the rear molded splash guards have to be modified to fit.