Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2005 and Earlier Chevrolet Impala

Comments

• roderacerroderacer Posts: 311
    Well, I just bought a '02 Chevy S10 last night and will be handing over the keys to my '01 LS. I sure am going to miss that car.

Maybe a few years down the road, I will buy another one. A RWD SS V8 sounds nice.

Had to let her go as I am going through one of my young-at-heart phases and I am seeing way too many of the beloved Impalas these days.

I am still hanging out here. Love to read and talk about our fine automobile.

Cheers! Enjoy those rides!

RR
  • garypengarypen Posts: 1,482
    You're not gonna let the fact that they produced 16,748,863,547,738 Impalas last Tuesday afternoon bother you, are ya? That's a good thing! Or so I've been told.
  • Friends, thanks again for your prompt responses. After writing my original post, I went to a NAPA Garage and they diagnosed the problem as a Leaking Fuel Pressure Regulator. I had them replace the part and immediately the problem disappeared. So far, it's been a few days and there is no sight of the problem.

While they were replacing the pressure regulator, I found this on the MSN Website.
     http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/reliability.aspx?modelid=3093

I couldn't believe it. Look at the 1st item they mention for occasional problems with the 2000 Impala Engine.

Thanks again to all for your help and good will. It's good to see that others are willing to help.

Regards, Bob
    I removed the bumper cover and molding myself. But, I'll be having a friend repair the crack and repaint it, so I wouldn't be able to document the whole process. The paint and plastic repair materials were $150, plus tax, if that helps.

Maybe I'll take some digital photos with the bumper off, and during re-assembly. That might still help those that are considering painting the molding or doing their own bumper cover repair. What the heck. Couldn't hurt.
  • For the past week I kept hearing a slight squeak coming from the engine. I would go over speed bumps or accelerate quickly and the noise kept happening. I brought it to the service shop and they told me that the Front sway bar bushings would need to be replaced. They ordered the item and will call me when they get it.

Has anyone had experience with this problem? If so, what would cause this to happen?

2001 LS (27,000 KM / 16777 Miles)

Thanks!
    They can wear out prematurely, if they weren't installed properly, or if they are defective. 16K miles is not enough to wear down non-defective, properly installed sway bar bushings.
  • Hi all! I am new to the board. I have been a longtime reader though. I recently obtained a 2003 Impala LS with the Sport Package.
    Though I am no stranger to General Motors, I am an Audi and a Corvette owner also and I have noticed a few things that I would like to share.
    Comments would be welcomed.

When I first start the engine in the morning the 3.8 seems to idle roughly until I drive for a few minutes. I have let the motor warm up for at least 2-3 minutes and it does not come down below 1000 rpms until driven.

I have also noticed a slight hesitation at times when accelerating. The hesitation is not severe but a bit annoying for a brand new car.

Does anyone else have that annoying rattle sound that seems to come from the front end? Feels like something is loose. The sound is very muted but noticeable.

The car just hit 500 miles and other than a few typical GM interior gripes the car looks and drives great.

Thanks all for any suggestions or comments.
    I look forward to becoming a member of this helpful community.
  • crv139crv139 Posts: 41
    I too Just bought a silver LS with the sport package.. This vehicle has no rough idle nor hesitate. I would suggest that you take it to te dealer and have them put it on the computer to see if it is up to specs..

I agree with your comment about all the plastic interior , but I guess this is going to be the automotive standard for most vehilces.
    So far i really enjoy driving this vehicle.
  • Thanks for the info Garypen.
    funny you mention that but, yeah - all the Imp's I have seen lately fueled some of my fire. Granted, never seen a Black/Tan one other than my ex, but still... reeks of Accord/Camry.
    congrats on th ride! Take it to your dealer. The 3.8 was the SMOOOOTHEST engine I have ever had the pleasure of driving.

If you search this board, you will find threads on thr rough idle as well as the hesitation. I believe that the EGR? PGM? ECM? ... ah, the computer had to be replaced or adjusted in some cases.

RR
    Sounds like a possible ECU issue. (I think GM calls it a PCM). I had my software upgraded when I was having hesitation, and it went away.

It could also be a sensor, such as the coolant temp sensor. That might cause an improper air/fuel mix until it warms up.

A bad EGR valve/circuit can aalso cause a rough idle.
  • b4zb4z Posts: 3,372
    My engine is a little noisy and idles higher when cold then quiets down after about 45 seconds.
    I am assuming it is the choke (if cars stil have those).
    I don't believe fuel injected engines have those anymore. There is something similar inside the throttle, it's the throttle plate, sometimes reffered to as the butterfly.

On the computer controlled bad boys, the air/fuel mix is controlled by the ECU/PCM based on coolant temp, air temp, and O2 content in the exhaust, among other things.
  • I have been experiencing a creaking sound (similar sounding to a door hinge needing oil) from the front end whenever I hit the accelerator pedal from a dead stop. It doesn't happen when moving. I would like to know if any of you guys have had this and if taken to the dealer is it possible that the sound could possibly get worst? I have 20 months of warranty left and I am worried that the tech might make a relatively minor problem into a worst situation by not reassembling the parts back right.
  • charts2charts2 Posts: 618
    I own a 2001 Impala LS. Back in June I noticed one day the high idle also wouldn't come below 1000-1200 no matter how long I waited. I drove the car for a week and it was an annoyance. I took the car to my local chevy dealer, below was the diagnosis for the problem I had.

IDLE HIGH: "Inspect PCM no DTC. Inspect engine no vac/leaks. Inspect IAC motor and wire harness to PCM. FOUND BROKEN WIRE. Repair wire harness midway to PCM. Broken wire reset IAC valve inspect idle.

I don't know how the wire broke but once it was repaired no problem since. Covered under warranty.
    The IAC (Idle Air Control) is the device that governs idle speed. It, of course, is controlled by the main PCM (ECU), so the broken wire meant the PCM could not adjust the idle.

You've got a good service dept there. I think many would just give up at finding no DTC codes.
  • hvan3hvan3 Posts: 630
    scudman:
    My 2000 LS had a very very slight hestitation when accelerating at about 10-15mph. I told the service dealer to inspect the PCM. They upgraded the software, and everything is well.

regulator75:
    Teo's sister also had a bushing replaced after owning the Impala for a couple months or so. The problem went away, according to Teo.
  • Thanks all for responding so soon. I called the Dealer today and will be bringing the car in next week for servicing. I will keep you all posted on the results.

A few other thoughts:

I wish they had put a dual exhaust instead of the single chrome pipe. It would have looked a lot sportier. My GTP had dual tips and it looked great.

I really like the headlight design (noticed some condensation buildup already :)) but I would have preferred xeon bulbs. I have them on the Audi and what a huge difference.

The stereo is decent but would have preferred a Bose option. It was a nice touch in the GTP. I am not a big fan of the autotone feature.

Heated seat option is definitely nice but I also would have preferred the switches to be more visible. The Trailblazer has them on the armrests.

I find it hard to believe that Chevrolet couldn’t find a better way of designing the storage compartments in the armrest. What’s with the exposed screws?

Lots of storage but the huge storage compartment in the console is a bit much. I would have liked to see some other design. It needs something, perhaps an LCD. hmmmmmm Need to do some research.

Don’t get me wrong; I am in no way bashing. I am just happy to have found a place to share thoughts and comments. I would love to hear others thoughts and ideas. Once again, thank you to all who took the time to address my concerns.
  • b4zb4z Posts: 3,372
    You can turn the autotone feature off.