Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2005 and Earlier Chevrolet Impala

Comments

• tpkentpken Member Posts: 1,108
    Semi retirement at 40? And with the market in it's present roller coaster mode? I surely envy you!!!!

But if you're looking for places to visit - you certainly need to take a New England tour, particularly if you have not been here before.

Send me an email - I would be glad to give you some pointers.

Ken
  • teoteo Member Posts: 2,508
    I think the Impala is the only car in its price range that offers this nice feature. Is not even offered on the Camry, Accord, Taurus or Intrepid.

One item for the 'wish list' is that I would like to see an automatic electronically controlled dual zone climate system as offered in the Buick Regal. That's a perfect combo.

But for now, the Impala manual dual zone climate control settings have proven to be effective and a marriage saver :)

The other day I was talking to a guy that sells at at Lincoln-Mercury store...he was bragging about the Lincoln LS having standard dual temp zone climate controls....when I told him that the Y2K Impala also offered the dual zone controls, he simply couldn't believe it.
  • dewdrops38dewdrops38 Member Posts: 41
    Its a base. I wasn't going to shoot for anything more than what I already have. I guess the benefit is, I had my car for 1 1/2 years and put 20,000 miles on it and still cruising until my new car is built. So, a base for a base. All I changed is the color :-)

Frankly, I wish GM said I HAVE to get a Navy Blue, because having to choose a color is never easy for me. I thought, Navy with the blue interior? White with the blue interior? My son wanted Silver, I already have a Black one, I just got rid of a "teal" (on the green side)conversion van, so I didnt want green, and the others just aren't me.

The Carmine and the Black will look nice side by side :-)

I posted a while back that I "won" so to speak, you must have missed that post.
    Lets hear it for New England ~
    :-)
    Yes I did miss your "Victory" post...can you give us some details of what transpired on your Trade-Buyback case?

By the way, the Dark carmine is a very nice color.

When are u getting your new baby?
    is anybodys guess. They say 4-6 weeks, so I suppose 4-6 weeks from Monday. For what its worth, my dealership put "Priority" on it.

Unfortunately, what GM said they were going to do in arbitration was an out and out lie. So, basically I lost at arbitration. I rested and then took on the big dogs again. I had an attorney. I did not pay him one red cent, GM did. Ohio lemon law is firm. The attorney did the legwork, I had everything documented from day one. It was easy. The hard part was finding another car which was a royal pain in the a**. My friends and mother couldnt understand where the "joy" went in my winning and being able to just "pick out" another car. For one thing it HAD to have the build date after 11-00 etc etc. My 2000 base package was hard to duplicate. If I went up in options, the price went up, which in the GM settlement, stated, any "upgrades" (other than the year) were to be paid out of my pocket. Like I said, I wanted nothing more than what I already had, especially out of pocket expenses. I have my title, my vehicle is paid for. So, an even "swap". Painless, and in writing, "not a dime out of my pocket", not even for mileage. My attorney prides himself on the "little guy" NEVER having to put money up front either. GM paid him too. Too bad they tried to snow me at arbitration. But, after a regroup and a comeback, I finalized this mess.
    Feel free to ask specific questions. I dont mind. I may have left some things out of my post. Its always hard to rewrite history :-)
    Finding a replacement car from the dealer's lot was also another royal pain in the neck. Dealer's order a very low volume of LS models vs. base models (10 LS and 30 Base sedans). Many times the cars come either with the wrong colors, equipped differently (One has the trip computer and cloth seats but another one has leather seats, no trip computer and no spoiler)...but indeed it can get pretty hairy.

After months going back and forth I had finally agreed to settle on a 2001 LS Sandrift with leather/1SB and spoiler. The goon sales manager sold the car on me in despite of the fact that the car was already on hold and part of the transaction buyback. It was practically impossible to get the same car with leather, so last week I was notified that a new '01 Sandrift with build date 04/01 was configured the way I wanted it including the cloth seats. I said I'll take it and please hide it from the sales manager 'cause I am sure he will sell that one too even if it is on hold. My service manager took the keys of the new car out of the safe machine in the showroom and now keeps them in his office until the deal is completed.

I was almost settled in getting the leather seats but I always preferred the cloth upholstery and that's exactly what I wanted it.

These cars fly out the dealer's lots and it is very hard to get a hold of them, specially LS models.

Again, congrats in your victory and enjoy your new baby when it arrives!
  • discgolferdiscgolfer Member Posts: 72
    I, too, have noticed a lot more impalas lately. I work in Lake Forest, and live in Fountain Valley. Silver LS, Moonroof, Tinted windows. I am very happy with my impala....
  • jons01jons01 Member Posts: 59
    If you choose a Taurus over an Impala, I wish you good luck, but based on my experiences over the last ten years with TWO taurus' (sedan and wagon), I would not risk buying another. Both vehicles were "money pits" Fortunately, I had an extended warranty on the wagon. The sedan required about $2500 in repairs and I never knew when the next breakdown would occur.

Before I bought my wife her 2001 Impala LS, I test drove a Taurus - mostly out of curiosity - and was not at all impressed. The transmission was jerky and the car lacked the great ride and feel of the Impala. I won't mention all the other advantages of the Impala over the Taurus, but am positive that I made the right choice.

I sold both of the Taurus' and hope that I will have better luck with the Impala. Buying a new car is a big investment, and I am sure that everyone on this forum wishes you well on whatever decision you make.
  • bdimebdime Member Posts: 130
    By roady do you mean you are working the race or sleeping on the road.? This will be our 9th year in a row to Indy and we have a great time- try the breakfast at the American Legion across form the track. We camp out and enjoy a leisurely weekend. Last year was the first for us to listen to the drivers on their radio frequency- worth the money! Sorry for the side trip folks.:)
  • hvan3hvan3 Member Posts: 630
    00Impala:
    I know for sure that GM is offering 0.9% financing for Impala (at least in the regional area). I have seen television ads and classified ads since beginning of this year. The promotion is still going STRONG!

My father owns a Camry LE. Let me tell you, once you drive the Impala LS, you DON'T want to drive a Camry. Camry is SO underpowered. The suspension springs are like rubber bands.

discgolfer:
    Hey, I work near the Irvine Spectrum. I shop at Fry's in Fountain Valley frequently too. Next time I see a Galaxy Silver LS in the Fountain Valley area, I'll wave to you. Hopefully, it's you! LOL! I also have a Galaxy Silver LS.
  • this_is_nascarthis_is_nascar Member Posts: 199
    Is anyone aware of yellow replacement bulbs for the fog lamps?
  • timbotimbotimbotimbo Member Posts: 15
    Has anyone with a moon roof equipped Impala experienced any problems? I'm seriously considering buying a new Impala with a moon roof but don't want to do so if I'm at a much higher risk of additional problems.

Thanks!!!!!
  • leonjaksonleonjakson Member Posts: 1
    Hey,
    I'm 21 years old and I own a 2000 Impala LS, black.
    Its loaded. Except for leather I hate leather.
    I've been trying to find a way to upgrade it but I can't find anything. Except a K&N air filter and adjustments I made myself I'm stuck. Does anyone know of anything I can do?

I have about 210 horse power and do 0-60 in 6.5 sec.
    But I want more. I also own a Camaro that is FAST so I want the same for my Impala.

And for the guy that asked about the moon roof, I have no problems with mine at all.
  • timbotimbotimbotimbo Member Posts: 15
    Has anyone with a moon roof equipped Impala experienced any problems? I'm seriously considering buying a new Impala with a moon roof but don't want to do so if I'm at a much higher risk of additional problems.

Thanks!!!!!
  • 00impala00impala Member Posts: 474
    We may wait until 2002 Models come out, Right now we are just looking, I'd prefer a BASE Impala and a Great LOW interest Deal, then we would have 2, But with the Gas prices creeping up we may park my LS in the garage and Car pool in the Cavalier for a while, We both drive the same direction to work but I go 10 miles farther and we work about the same shift, so I may Use the Cavalier up a little before we sell it, '99 with 15K No sense in wasting wear and tear and Miles and Expensive Gas on my LS if we can avoid it, That way we can use my Impala for the Weekends and it will stay squeaky clean in my Garage. Don
  • shaminoshamino Member Posts: 60
    I think there is something wrong with my moon roof. Everytime I go over speed bumps or broken pavement going slowly (5km/h)I hear A LOT of creaking and popping noises that seem to be coming from the roof. Or somewhere slightly behind the drivers seat. It is bugging the heck out of me, but I haven't had time to bring it into the dealer. Either it has come loose, or some other thing is wrong.

timbotimbo: Might as wait for 2002 models, since there are probably some more improvements going to be implemented to the car. Things such as: better sound insulation, some cosmetic changes, and more stuff that you don't see but will defintely make the car better!
    Or if you want to get a 2001, wait till Christmas time, and you will save a bundle!!
    We waited till Christmas to buy our 2000 LS and saved LOTS of money!!
  • shaminoshamino Member Posts: 60
    Got this straight from the edmunds site..

>2003 Impala and Monte Carlo (Large Car)
    >A freshening for these two platform mates is >scheduled for '03 (with the possibility of a >supercharged V6 or a shoe-horned LS-1 V8 >sporting SS trim), before both gain a complete >redesign when they move to GM's new mid-lux >platform for the 2005 model year.
  • fathertyriciusfathertyricius Member Posts: 116
    I have the 2001 Impala LS with the moon roof and I love it. The moon roof works great and is a joy. The only feature I dont have in my car is the heated seats. The heat in this car gets hot enough, and works really well. I love this car very much.
    Hey- I noticed t-shirts at the dealer for Monte owners (it's likely a Nascarthing but I still like it) but I don't see shirts for the Impala folks- just the polos (for the Canadian folks that's a golf type shirt- not a turtleneck)I think I'd like to see some good looking Impala type shirts- how about the rest of you? (This should stir up
    some interesting discussion!) ;)
  • sweetpollysweetpolly Member Posts: 99
    I use my sunroof every day and I have no problems with it.
  • sweetpollysweetpolly Member Posts: 99
    Took my car back to the dealer yesterday (along with a number of printed pages from this group with different suggestions noted for the hesitation problem). They kept it overnight, so, I'm renting a car today. Will let you know what happens.
    I admire your patience in dealing with the hesitation problems!

If I were in a similar situation I would already have done everything to get GM to buyback the car...

Good luck and keep us posted.
  • cookie01cookie01 Member Posts: 369
    Hunter (by the way) is from Arizona... (which helps to know if you're handing out travel tips).

I'm going to guess you may have already visited the Northwest, but if not...COME ON UP! and drive your LS, it's an amazing drive if you take the right route.

Spring is beautiful here. We actually get a real spring. Flowers, Rain!, budding trees, bird singing (and waking you up at 5 a.m...).

At 40 you can still take advantage of amazing moutain sports (climb, ski, drink spiced coffee..hehehe) and we've got the beach only a few hours away from Portland. Seattle is also a very cool place. Lots of fun and great shopping.

I still don't see very many Impalas on the road around here. About one a day. On Sunday I saw a galaxy silver and the original tan (what was the name again?) side by side heading down the blvd. First time I've EVER seen that here.

P.s. Love my moon roof. Use it a whoppin' three months out of the year.
    I spent a few months there years ago (At Ft Lewis) and while they talked about all the liquid sunshine the weather was actually very nice. The coastline is actually rainforest and is beautiful in most all seasons. I'd also invite Impala owners to check out the Midwest- We have lots of stuff to do and see too! (Chicago is anything
    except boring!)
  • impalaboy2001impalaboy2001 Member Posts: 117
    I'm gonna be taking my 2001 Impala LS to some track in Pensacola this Sunday. SCCA is having this program for all kinda drivers, and once you get there, they inspect your vehicle and put you in a class to race with. They'll have a bunch of cones laid out on a runway and everyone has to compete for time. I'll let you guys know how it goes. FYI, I haven't had any problems with my sunroof since I got my Impala, but the tracks sould be lubbed everytime you get an oil change.

Chris
    Good luck on the SCCA race and let us know how the Impala LS behaves when pushed to the limit...Should be fun!

Cheers
  • this_is_nascarthis_is_nascar Member Posts: 199
    Let us know how it goes. I have a co-worker that raises here in the Delaware region. He's always asking me to take my LS on the track, but I've been fearful to do it, not wanting to "push" the car that hard. I'd be curious to hear how it goes for you.
  • roderacerroderacer Member Posts: 311
    I think it is cool that many of the Town Hallers here have a part in the 2001 Impala brochure. I picked one up a while ago and everytime I see a post that says "...page ##..." I pull out the brochure and take a peek.

GM - Chevy in particular, seem to have a grasp on the PEOPLE that purchase these cars. That counts for a lot in my book.

TGIF
    RR
    How is that Impala behaving? Having fun?
  • discgolferdiscgolfer Member Posts: 72
    Timbotimbo... No problems with the Moon Roof. I use it about 300 days of the year. I wash my car almost every weekend as well...
    I just ordered the LS this past Tuesday. So I have a grueling 6 weeks of waiting and reading about how much fun all of you are having. That's OK. I think it's gonna be worth it!

Thanks for asking!

RR
    Want to clear this up before everyone thinks I am an idiot.. I know - too late :)

I know road is spelled.. well, ROAD. A while ago, I did some motorcycle roadracing and I wanted to use that as my handle, but I was beated to it. Hence, roderacer became the nickname.

RR
  • jeffreyw1jeffreyw1 Member Posts: 145
    dewdrops38: Congratulations on your settelement won against GM. Are you going to be able to get a new car with under 100 miles on it? I believe that you are going to be happy getting a new 2001 Impala.

teo: I saw a new sanddrift metallic 2001 LS near the place that I work at and I must say that is a very nice looking car. Didn't you say that your new 2001 Impala LS is this color? If it is, you got a beauty! Enjoy your new LS.

May all have a great weekend driving or racing your Impalas.
  • hunter39hunter39 Member Posts: 375
    Well lets see... I have family in Oregon that I haven't seen in 10 years so that's a definate possibility Cookie, the wife enjoys trees (not many here in the Sonoran desert) and I do too as long as they are cut into lumber (I'm a woodworker). I spent a week in the Whidbey Is. area in 1984 and it rained 6 of 7 days in late August. Chicago sounds like a fun time, I wouldn't mind going there again ( I went to school at the Great Lakes Naval training center in the late 70's)but was too young to appreciate all of it's many attributes.

I'm not working the Indy race, just a spectator and me and a buddy will be driving from here in Phoenix, I believe it's 2500 miles roundtrip and we'll be going in my Impala. He got a new Ford Focus but that's not going to happen! Will this be the longest roundtrip reported here on the Edmunds site for Impala owners? Anyone go further?

Hey Ken, I lived in Rhode Island for 16 months in the early 90's and enjoyed NE very much, I have In-Laws who live out on Cape Cod and visit them every few years (They visited here a couple weeks ago so our turn to go back). Hey thanks for the suggestions folks, sounds like you all have things about where you live you enjoy. I hope to get a chance to "Go for a drive" more this year.
    I'm really excited- I know this will seem petty but-- The windows in my Impala will still go up even after the key is out of the ignition. the old power windows had to at least have the key in and turned to acc. - if you forgot to put one up when you are exiting the car you had to put the key back in and turn it- I can still put
    the Impala window up even with the key out! I know that's a stupid little thing for some but for me this is great!
    Concerning the CD changer, I received via UPS today the 12 disc cd changer from Chuck Hutton Chev. That's all I got, no cartridge (which I think cost 60.00 not cheap) and no plug that will allow you to have some flexability on where you place the unit not to mention no hardware either, so far a disappointment...
  • cookie01cookie01 Member Posts: 369
    It's not silly! I love that feature. Basically the battery remains "on" until you open the doors. This is so great when you notice one of the kids left the window down. Or if you'd like to hear the end of a song before you head off to do whatever. It really shocked me the first time it happened and I still have passengers who will say something like "Hey, the radio is still on.. do you need to turn that off?"
    very funny. Almost as funny as people who (even in 2001) will tell you your lights are still on when I can't think of too many cars over about $12,000 built since 1998 that don't have automatic turn off for the headlights.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Hi folks

As I mentioned a little while ago, we are changing the names of some of our discussions to drop the various "Part" indicators.

Now that we have moved to our new platform, we no longer have the requirement to stop and restart discussions after the numbers of posts exceed a certain limit. Since this discussion can continue as long as anyone wants to talk about the Impala, there is no longer a need for the "XI" that has been included in the discussion name. Down the road, that could confuse our newer members so I have removed it. I altered the name of the original Impala discussion in the Archives to distinguish it from this one.

Pat
    Host
    Sedans and Women's Auto Center Message Boards
  • kenbuzzkenbuzz Member Posts: 99
    Hunter: That's odd, because when I asked Kim whether the Changer included a cartridge, she confirmed that it did. It is possible that there are two part numbers... one for the changer alone and one for the changer/cartridge/installation hardware? What part # did you order?
  • kenbuzzkenbuzz Member Posts: 99
    Looking forward to the snapshots. My Sandrift/Leather LS is due in the last week of May.
    I almost got into a Sandrift/Neutral leather '01 LS....but the idiot sales manager sold the car on me even knowing the car was on hold. That one had a build date of 12/00.

It was impossible to locate a car configured this way.

Now I am getting a Sandrift/Sport Cloth (Neutral)....its great! I much prefer cloth to leather just because I live in a very hot and muggy climate. I am also saving up the extra $625 that GM charges for the leather seats. Everything else is included except the sunroof and cassette tape for the radio (CD only this time).

I hear ya, its hard to wait for a great car!

Enjoy!

PS:: Yes the Impala has the "Retained accessory power" feature that keeps the electrical current running for 10 minutes after removing the key from the ignition. After 10 minutes it times out and shuts off. Also if any door is opened within the 10 minute time out period, the power will also shut down automatically.

I also have grown very accustomed to the "Twilight Sentinel" automatic headlight feature. I never ever touch the headlight dash switch for anything. Most people think on parking lots that I leave my car with the lights on!
  • duraflexduraflex Member Posts: 358
    Just got back from a 1000 mile trip averaged 32.6 MPG at 64 MPH on BP regular.

QUESTION - My headlights were taking about 20-25 seconds or so to come on when entering tunnels and 20 - 25 to shut off when reentering the sunlight.
    Is this the norm???
    Kim hasn't gotten back to me as yet which is unusual since she usually is very prompt. I ordered the part number 25708970 which is listed as "player" She boxed it up in another box and shipped it to me, it looks as though she never even opened the first box to see what was inside. I'm going to call her again.

Dura, my lights do the same thing here about 30 seconds to go, but seems longer to go off, never timed them.
    Those reaction times sound pretty normal to me.

Welcome back.
  • frankb7frankb7 Member Posts: 18
    Folks,

I am going to buy a 2001 Impala, and am looking for some advice. I want a base because I need a bench seat, equiped with all AS options & Leather, and the Tape/DC radio( no sunroof, no power passenger seat). Ken Buzz was nice enough to do the analysis for me a while back. Here is the scoop. One dealer said I would have to order it. Priced it at $24.7 Sticker, $22.8 cost to me.
    Another dealer I visited said he might be able to find the car, since before the 2001 AS was available, many dealers ordered loaded base models. Anyway, he found a few within a 50 mile radius (much to my surprise, maybe dealer #1 did not do his homework). So, two questions: He said he could sell me the car for $23.3 ($500 more than dealer#1). When I asked him about the dealer incentive ($750), he said yes, and that that is what he was making on the car. He said if I wanted to order it from him, he would meet Dealer#1's price of $22.8. He also intimated he might go as low as $23K for the existing car. One of the reasons he gave is that he has to reimburse the dealer that has the car for having it on his lot for 51 days, etc. Is $23K a good price for this car? Second I is the build date that we look for. When I asked him, (he found four of the cars equiped the way I want, in four different colors)he said the longest any of the cars were on the remote dealers lots was 51 days, which he said means you can add 20 or so days to that to get the approximate build date, which he agreed to verify prior to my purchase. My I is, what is the build date I should look for to avoid some of the problems discussed here.
    Sorry for the long winded letter. Help Ken or anyone else.

Frank
  • hvan3hvan3 Member Posts: 630
    Here in Irvine Chevrolet, you can get a base Impala (MSRP for $20,225) for $17,995 with 0.9% financing. An Impala LS can be negotiated for $23K easily!

If you're going to pay a base Impala for $23K with all the LS options (except bucket seats), you might as well buy an LS. One thing you can't get from a fully loaded option on a base Impala is the custom matching paint on the bottom side moldings. From a distance, this is how you can determine a base Impala from an LS. Aesthically, it makes a big difference on the appearance.

Buy the LS!! Just my opinion.
  • frankb7frankb7 Member Posts: 18
    Thanks for the input Henry. I need the base for the bench seat. Need to be able to seat six on occasion. I would get the LS, if I could get the bench.

Frank
    Assuming that the quote you received from both dealers is on a '01 Base Impala loaded up the ying-yang (Sunroof, leather, 1SC Package, front bench) perhaps the $22.8 quote would be reasonable. If the car doesn't have sunroof, power passenger seat or the premium stereo (Radio/Tape/CD steering wheel controls), then I would estimate that quote to be a bit high. I would bulge for $22k even, if that's the case. The Impala sells quite well in comparison to similar GM breathen, so I am afraid you will need to haggle a bit harder with the dealer to get to a reasonable price. Get acquinted with the actual factory invoice price of the Base car configured the same exact way you want it. Add to that amount 3% dealer profit (Typically the norm)and that should be the fair price to pay. Don't pay more than 3% dealer profit at any given time. The Impala sells well but it certainly it is not a hot popular car like a VW Jetta...at least you have more room to bring the price down.

A loaded Base Impala can easily approach the price of an Impala LS model. But if you absolutely need/want the front bench, I can't argue with your choice. If you don't need/want the front bench, you are much better off getting the LS model instead. (Some cosmetic touches, nicer wheels, spoiler, tachometer, fog lights, cabin air filter, OnStar etc).

Good luck in whatever you decide.