Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2005 and Earlier Chevrolet Impala

Comments

• pluto5pluto5 Posts: 618
    Look at IIHS.org--small cars and minis have the worst loss ratios. You're safer in the bombshell CV. This is not a personal attack.

GM is a conservative company and you don't get the latest technology. I would take a Boeing 737 over an Airbus 300 anyday for the same reasons I would buy another Imp before a euro.
  • drivinisfundrivinisfun Posts: 372
    Pluto....yooohooo!

Show me a link showing specifics on the loss ratios assigned to the MINI.

I am waiting.
    So you are implying that BMW is paying State Farm to give premium reductions to the MINI Cooper??

LOL!
    State Farm, All State, geico, et al, all use information provided by the IIHS to adjust and assign group rates to different kinds of vehicles.

After all, IIHS is run by the insurance companies!
  • atbearatbear Posts: 322
    While I am positive that the Mini is good in crashes for a small car, I believe that this:

"On the other hand, When I got my MINI Cooper over 6 months ago, the premium started at $1,212 per year and the next 6 month renewal came down to $1,132 per year! Reason, and let me quote my State farm Premium policy renewal notice:

"The claim experience on your make and model of vehicle (MINI Cooper) has resulted in a reduction to your vehicle rating group for comprehensive and/or collision damages."

The April 2002 State Farm policy renewal notice for my 2001 Impala LS reads as follows:

"The claim experience on your make and model of vehicle (Chevy Impala) has resulted in an increase to your vehicle rating group for comprehensive and/or collison damages".

So, what does this say to you, Pluto?"

....is just due to the sheer number of Impalas on the road, and the minute amount of Minis on the road.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Careful ... keep it CIVIL.

And for gosh sakes, juvenile bathroom humor is exactly that - juvenile - and does nothing to enhance one's credibility.
    Says to me that you are paying three times as much to insure your mini as my Imp so get thee to the mini cooper thread where the debate is why a mini cooper is better than a miata!!!
    Betcha it's exciting to drive on '95 with an Imp on your mini's [non-permissible content removed]--is that how you get your kicks?
  • atbearatbear Posts: 322
    While I am positive that the Mini is good in crashes for a small car, I believe that this:

"On the other hand, When I got my MINI Cooper over 6 months ago, the premium started at $1,212 per year and the next 6 month renewal came down to $1,132 per year! Reason, and let me quote my State farm Premium policy renewal notice:

"The claim experience on your make and model of vehicle (MINI Cooper) has resulted in a reduction to your vehicle rating group for comprehensive and/or collision damages."

The April 2002 State Farm policy renewal notice for my 2001 Impala LS reads as follows:

"The claim experience on your make and model of vehicle (Chevy Impala) has resulted in an increase to your vehicle rating group for comprehensive and/or collison damages".

So, what does this say to you, Pluto?"

....is just due to the sheer number of Impalas on the road, and the minute amount of Minis on the road.
  • chevyrog1chevyrog1 Posts: 20
    hey
    havent posted in here in a long long time. I have 100 miles left on my warranty and my car has been to the dealer 3 times for the ticking sound when turning the steering wheel in a slow moving parking maneuver. It is scheduled t go back on thursday for a fourth attempt at getting it right. I need help from the group on what the TSB # that refers directly to the engine cradle/rack mount brackets that suspect is what it is in my case. Teo if you are out there I remember you were particularly knowledgeable on this topic. I appreciate the help in advance guys.
    Rog
  • jbk5jbk5 Posts: 26
    Man, I wouldn't feel comfortable driving my 75+ mph commute in a Mini. I don't care how good the safety rating is. I'd feel like I was in a go-kart.

I know, if I got hit by an 18-wheeler in my Monte Carlo I'd probably be screwed too, but yikes! It's ok though... I have Onstar. ha ha.

Which leads me to something I've been wondering about. I just renewed my Onstar membership. Has anyone here continued their service past the free year? I'm just curious. I had problems last summer with the light on the mirror turning from green to red once in a while but its hasn't happened since last fall. The system worked fine when the light was red anyway.
    "Betcha it's exciting to drive on '95 with an Imp on your mini's [non-permissible content removed]--is that how you get your kicks?"

Ummmmm, Actually the Impala can't keep up with my MINI...1,000 pounds lighter and quick precision handling and road manners make it a much more agile car.

Ah!The typical American mentality...Bigger is better!

So Pluto, so far you haven't been able to refute any of the facts presented here. I am still waiting.....
    I didn't renew my Onstar subscription after the 1 free year expired. Nice service but a bit too overpriced in my opinion.
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Posts: 2,287
    And I consider the current Onstar radio ads which market by using fear both offensive and shameful. Especially the one where the woman has been hurt in a collision and wants the advisor to contact her husband after emergency services...you hear her after her husband asks if she is okay say "No, my head hurts sooo bad."

Marketing by fear. Sheer desperation. And unnecessary. Onstar is now profitable. Finally. And then they do this.
  • tommy42tommy42 Posts: 70
    Go to www. impala hq.com. Go to news&TSB
  • regfootballregfootball Posts: 2,166
    from what I have read, the mini is a very stable car, like its glued to the road.

small does not always mean unstable.
  • b4zb4z Posts: 3,372
    Never thought we would comparing a mini to an impala.LOL.

Mini insurance costs are low now due to the demographic of the Mini buyers.
    Well educated, excellent incomes, age, etc. All factor into it.

Fast forward 3-4 years when moms and dads are buying these now used cars for their 16 year old kids.

They will start wrecking these things like all teenagers do, and you will see the premiums go up 10-20%. I guarantee you.

My insurance is with Prudential(no longer writing auotmotive) and my premium is right at $1200 a year with liability only on the '87 IROC, but full coverage on the Impala.
  • rbb2rbb2 Posts: 70
    Enough with the Mini vs. Impala talk. Both vehicles have their positives and weaknesses. They are entirely different vehicles that have different purposes. Why bother compare the two? Do any of you think you are going to convince the other that you are right? Let it go and lets keep to the subject of JUST the Impala.

All you Mini lovers go somewhere else and start arguments - we all agree you have the most wonderful, great, special cars in the world and we are all jealous while the Impala is cheaply made and a waste of money. Satisfied? Now go away!!!
    Hmmm, yea but the problem is that I also happen to be a 2001 Impala LS owner.....
  • nosirrahgnosirrahg Posts: 870
    Maybe you could carry your Mini in the trunk of your Impala as a spare!!!!!
  • b4zb4z Posts: 3,372
    We have talked about it for 4 years now. And finally someone has done it, and posted pics.

I think my navy Blue beauty would look good with body color mouldings.

http://www.clubgp.com/newforum/tm.asp?m=659862&p=1&tmode=- 1&smode=1