Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2005 and Earlier Chevrolet Impala

Comments

• regfootballregfootball Posts: 2,166
    good luck on your 50mph trip. Hope you don't get too many sneers from other cussing drivers passing you thinking you are one of those older drivers who frequently drive Impalas and tends to go 20mph below the posted limit. Just don't hike the drivers seat way up and by all means don't wear those massive squarish sunglasses with the green tint.
  • b4zb4z Posts: 3,372
    Did a 25 mile drive last night on a secondary road with the cruise at 58 mph.
    DIC read between 39-43 mpg the whole way.
  • shrubsshrubs Posts: 22
    It's an 2003. We took it out last night for some fun!

>What year GTP did you get? Congrats!!!
  • atbearatbear Posts: 322
    Well reg, you've just lost all credibility by going out and flaming instead of responding with any substance...

shrubs, congrats on the new GTP, I hope you love it!
    Who is DIC and how does that DIC guy read your gas mileage.

Must be nice to have DIC in your car, whatever it is. Are there any other cars you can get DIC in.
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Posts: 2,287
    It's the Driver Information Center. And if you owned a GM car or were even remotely interested in one, you would most probably already know that!
    how does DIC help handling, braking, or acceleration.
    reg, are you joking or really don't know? Driver Info Center.... you know, tells you the outside temperature, compass direction, how many gallons of gas left in the tank, average speed, average mpg, let you know whether you're low on fuel.... it doesn't do anything for handling braking or acceleration....... It's just the Driver Info Center (DIC)
  • nosirrahgnosirrahg Posts: 870
    reg doesn't know DIC!!!!!!!
    LOL. funny. I guess you guys get all excited about having DIC in your cars. You just need to have DIC.

Haha, but again, how does DIC improve handling, braking and acceleration.

Admit its a gadget. Those things never give correct mpg anyways. Best way to tell mpg is to divide your miles by gallons used when you fill up.

I don't need DIC but you all seem to.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Okay, let's just move on here. The DIC provides some information, period, the end. Yes there are other ways to obtain that information, but so what? You seem to be amused by the acronym itself - how juvenile.

There isn't any need to come in here to just be sarcastic.

And some of you need to remember that if you don't feed the trolls, they won't have any reason at all to stick around.
    I didn't even recognize what he was doing.... guess I'm just a little too mature... oh well..
  • drivinisfundrivinisfun Posts: 372
    My '01 LS has the "DIC" (Overhead Trip Computer) from factory. In terms of the Compass and exterior temperature readouts, the device is generally dead on accurate based on my experience.

As far as the readouts for fuel consumption, average speed and instant fuel economy, I have to agree with Reg, these are not very accurate and I believe these readings have a considerable margin of error.

However, having said this, when I ordered the car I still wanted to have the DIC as a driving aid to help me quickly determine average fuel economy, miles to empty etc. I was not expecting a 100% accurate measuring instrument as I know that auto trip computers are not typically known for their dead on accuracy.

Also don't forget that the DIC option also includes the automatic self dimming rearview mirror and the incorporated Homelink remote garage door opener controls both of which are very valuable options to me.

Still, my Impala has managed to deliver 34MPG at 70MPH using 89 octane fuel based on manual MPG calculations.
  • crosley4crosley4 Posts: 295
    Now that is funny.
    Ordered 4 new tires from tirerack.com Friday morning and they arrived at my doorstep an hour ago.
    I will install 2 fronts tomorrow and have it aligned then install the rears later.
    Also get a free Palm Zire with the order.
    The tires were very highly rated on both noise and ride comfort.
    They are Michelin Harmony S rated. $106 apiece and $10 each for shipping.
    Cool! What's a Palm Zire?
  • Hello guys, aside from Impala HQ, where can I find a list of Technical service bulletins?
    Thanks
  • rbb2rbb2 Posts: 70
    "Still, my Impala has managed to deliver 34MPG at 70MPH using 89 octane fuel based on manual MPG calculations."

Check out this article. You may be wasting your money on 89.

http://www.freep.com/money/autonews/gas3_20030403.htm
    I put 2 of 4 new Michelin Harmonys on the Impala this morning.
    My initial impressions are that they are an improvement over the Goodyear GAs.
    Remember I still have 1 GA on the LR and a RS-A on the RR.
    These new tires are quieter. Enough so that I am aware of the engine and wind noise.
    I am also aware of road noise from the rear tires more than before.
    They also ride better. On small bumps and expansion joints the impact is dulled.
    Over big bumps they are only slightly better.
    I think I also picked ups some cornering which I wasn't expecting.
    They also look better. The sidewall appears to be taller due to the tread design.

Will put the 2 rears on soon and let you guys know how they turn out.