Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2005 and Earlier Chevrolet Impala

Comments

• patpat Posts: 10,421
    You also should stop by Real-World Trade-In Values on our Smart Shopper board. There are a couple of very helpful dealers hanging out there who are happy to give their thoughts.
  • drivinisfundrivinisfun Posts: 372
    I personally would never trade my '01 Impala LS with 20,300 miles in pristine showroom condition for any of the GM minivan triplets. There is no secret that the GM minivans are obsolete vehicles with substandard reliability, quality and safety.

GM in Europe sold for a few years the U-body minivan under the Opel Sintra brand/model designation and it was so bad that GM had to pulled it off the European market. Interestingly, GM continues to sell the U-body sedan in Europe (albeit in lower quantities) under the Chevrolet Transport name but given the bad rap the Sintra got I would not be surprised if GM is having a hard time moving these dinosaours overthere. In fact GM has an excellent minivan not sold in North America called the Opel Zafira, which I have seen many times there.

If your needs call for a Minivan, you are better served by the Chrysler products (If you must have an American brand name) or the clearly superior Toyota or Honda products.

The Impala boasts superior build quality, reliability, safety and durability because, unlike the U-body triplet minivans, is built in Canada, not in the outdated plant where these vans are made.

I also would never trade the 3800 Series II V6 engine for a 3.4L V6 180HP version. No matter how you cut it or slice it, the GM triplet minivans are outdated, cheaply built and in need of a serious redesign.

It is too bad because the U body minivans are not ugly and seem to be very functional. My problems with those vehicles begins with the run of the mill powertrain, the poor build quality and the substandard safety.
  • Hello Everyone !
    Today, I purchased a 2003 Impala LS in Berry Red with all option's except XM Radio, Sport Package, and Sunroof. With various rebates I paid about $24,200 for it. I am looking forward to driving this car and participating in this forum. I have read some of the posts and find you very knowledgeable about the car. I will be a frequent contributor to the forum. The last Chevy I had was a 1978 Caprice Classic Coupe that I used in college. It was just amazing how many snacks you could fit in that trunk. I also have a 2000 Buick LeSabre Limited which I love to death, (42,000) trouble free miles on it. I have been posting on the LeSabre forum since I bought the car. I bought the Chevy from the same dealer. Hoping to get to know some of you as time progresses.

Neil
  • atbearatbear Posts: 322
    Also, mrpoetryman go to www.clubgp.com and register over there too... alot of us participate on both forums.
  • rbb2rbb2 Posts: 70
    Enough of the bashing of the minivans. Some of us have them and are very happy and don't have all the issues you seem to indicate. Besides, this is for Impala posts. And the fact that you expect someone to get a refund based on your post (#11815) is just ridiculous. Are you so full of yourself that your opinion means that much to someone else?
    Today, exactly 2 years ago, I took delivery of my '01 Impala LS (4/2001 build date).

Car still looks pristine showroom condition and it is still tight and solid as a drum.

car has 20,300+ troublefree miles, still has original brakes and tires. It has been obessively maintained with 3K mile interval oil changes and 6K mile interval tire rotations. Engine air filter, PCV filter and air cabin filter all were replaced by the 15K mile service interval.

Car has been extremely reliable and dependable. Only problem I have experienced is the warped upper plastic manifold intake, replaced under warranty, by the 18K mile mark.

Really nice car all around. paint job, fit and finish are excellent. Zero rattles or squeaks...this car feels like a bank vault on the road.

I am selling it in a few months as I already have a new 2004 MINI Cooper 'S' on order for October delivery.

Whomever gets this car next will be buying an absolute "cream-puff" and one of a kind '01 Impala LS.

I have 1 year left on the basic 3 year/36,000 mile warranty.

Great car all around and highly recommended.
    I am not bashing Minivans in general. I personally don't like them but I can see why so many families prefer them for various reasons. At one point in my life I owned a 1987 Ford Aerostar XL minivan, so I am not stranger to them.

I do have a problem with the substandard build quality and safety of the Ubody GM minivans. There are so many choices when it comes to Minivans and the GM triplets while practical and relatively decent looking come at the bottom of the pack.

But to each his/her own.
  • pluto5pluto5 Posts: 618
    Where's the power steering resevoir on the 3.8 engine? Heard popping noise from under the front end once when turning the wheel at low speed--is this a concern? Thanks.
  • jbk5jbk5 Posts: 26
    Behind the engine on the passenger side. It's kind of low and hard to get to. Use a flashlight and you'll see the cap.
    Where is it in relation to the alternator? I looked with a flashlight and still didn't see it. Thanks.
  • jbk5jbk5 Posts: 26
    Practically underneath it.
    Thnaks, I never thought of looking underneath the alternator. At least changing the oil is easy.
  • blueheartblueheart Posts: 24
    Hi all, I'm looking for the site address for the repair of the intake manifold problem.
    Thanks
    Try here: http://hometown.aol.com/naioa/home.html

and here: http://www.clubgp.com/newforum/tm.asp?m=681219&p=1&tmode=- - 1&smode=1

Please send an email to GM about the intake manifold!, and feel free to join the NAIOA if you own an Impala! Thanks

Drew
  • blueheartblueheart Posts: 24
    I will follow up on a letter to GM, but does anybody know where I can get a metal replacement?
    Once again thanks
    You can't.... that's why we are writing the letters demanding one! Thanks for your help..
  • colie74colie74 Posts: 42
    I just got mine replaced under warrenty and was told I got the new redesigned one. Not sure if that means a metal replacement or just a different design. The guy sorta drew me a picture compairing the two and what is fixed on the new manifold vs. the old. So I am assuming it is being done. Maybe (especially if you are paying for it yourself) just ask that they replace it with the new ones. If you would like the phone number to the dealer to speak with a service manager about getting more info or a part number, just let me know. What type letter should I submit since I supposedly got the new manifold? To recall it? That is what should happen, people shouldn't have to pay for this repair if it happens out of warrenty. I am less than two months away from my warrenty expiring, I am soooo greatful I found this website so I was able to keep any eye out for the problem and sure enough, at 21K miles, low coolant light comes on and coolant in the driveway!!

Anyway,the new part is being used, demand it from your service manager. My service guy seemed to know exactly what the problem was, like it was no new news to him!!

Take care
    Nicole
  • mrpoetrymanmrpoetryman Posts: 38
    Thank's for the update, Nicole. Glad that you got the new type of Manifold. Thank's for keeping us updated on the forum.

Neil
  • mrpoetrymanmrpoetryman Posts: 38
    I picked up my new 2003 Impala LS on Tuesday and it drives like a dream. My favorite feature so far is the auto volume control on the radio. How could anyone live without it is beyond me. It was built in 12/02. I love this car.

Neil