Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2005 and Earlier Chevrolet Impala

Comments

• garywgaryw Posts: 116
    Anyone have an update on the delivery date...still late summer?
  • b4zb4z Posts: 3,372
    Saw it in a TV comercial last week.
    My '01 Impala LS turned 2 years old June 1st. I now have over 41,000 miles on it.
  • hvan3hvan3 Posts: 630
    Today, after 2 years and 4 months, I have finally paid off my loan on my 2000 Impala LS!! Woohoo!

With slightly over 34K miles, this car still drives like a dream.
  • bearmerbearmer Posts: 37
    Makers and dealers share the cost of advertising because they both benefit. This is true in other industries, too. It's always been called cooperative advertising. A few years ago somebody got the bright idea to list it as an element of the cost of the car and make the customer pay it. Sometimes the salesman doesn't even mention it until he gives you the pen to sign the contract. Heating the building is a cost of doing business, too, but he doesn't ask the customer to pay for his share (yet). Cooperative charges aren't billed by units sold so the dealer's yearly bill is fixed no matter how many cars he sells.

I've talked to two kinds of dealers, those who don't try to collect it and those who treat it as sacrosanct and act astonished that you should even suggest that it's bogus. When you talk to one of these be sure he understands that what matters to you is the final cost and his fee can take him out of the running against dealers who don't charge it.
  • drivinisfundrivinisfun Posts: 372
    My '01 Impala LS is also already paid off. I took delivery exactly 26 and a half months ago. 21,100 miles and still drives great. Will be going to a new home sometime this month.
  • pluto5pluto5 Posts: 618
    If you don't pay the advertising fee they will make it up somewhere else like by selling you an extended warranty or charging a titling fee.
  • bearmerbearmer Posts: 37
    Well, I agree that the dealer will figure out how to make a profit on the sale but the fees matter if you are trying to bargain based on the invoice price.

The invoice is the sum of the wholesale prices for each item on the factory window sticker. To that, add the full destination charge. When somebody buys a car for $300 over invoice it means just that. No paperwork handling fee, floorplan fee, advertising fee, window etching fee, preparation charge, market adjustment, or whatever else he tells you is part of his cost. If you pay invoice + $300 + a bunch of fees he makes a windfall.

I think somebody can do okay by getting a couple of Internet quotes, then walk into a few showrooms and compare the "driveaway" price of each one. That's the true bottom line of the contract. One may be honest enough to list the invoice and his $300 margin. Another may tell you he's selling it for $100 under invoice then add $400 in fees. Either way the price is the same. I like the first kind of contract (and dealer).

There' one more element of pricing worth mentioning. The dealer gets a refund of 3% of the MSRP (not including destination charge) of each car he sells at the end of the quarter. It's called holdback. This means that he can sell the car at invoice and make a profit. But it's really a discount on the interest he's paying GM to finance his total new car inventory. I don't know if it shows up as revenue on his books.
  • mard22mard22 Posts: 4
    I recently purchased a 2002 Impala LS and have a whole lot of road noise and a wheel noise when turning. Dealers keep telling me its the tires causing this. Has anyone had this problem
    All 2001 and later w body cars have additional wheelwell liners to lower the road noise.
    For instance my 2001 Impala is significantly quieter than my '99 Intrigue.
    Which tires do you have? Are they cupped? Or worn abnormally.
  • mard22mard22 Posts: 4
    I have Goodyear eagle tires
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Posts: 2,287
    When I replaced my original Goodyear Eagle tires with Dunlops, the noise level dropped substantially on my 2000 LS. Even my mother, who is partly deaf and not all that observant about things car-related, noticed right away!
  • tgp1810tgp1810 Posts: 112
    So what are the current incentives for both purchasing and leasing. I do get the GM employee discount - if that makes any difference.
    Try the Michelin Harmony's. I replaced the Goddyears on my Impala with them and they are noticebly quieter.
    Got to tirerack.com and get the reviews from fellow drivers.
  • Is that there are no less than seven, yep count 'em 7, base prices for the base Impala for the 2003 model year.

I've been looking to replace the Sihouette I have as a company car, and have been researching the Impala.

Starting off the model year, the base standard vehicle price (before destination charge) has gone from:

and the last I've seen is 21160 just today.

That's a $695 price increase since October. I don't think the General is giving us back the coinholder and floor mats in the increase either.

Also, there has been at least one bump up on the destination charge from $630 to $660 this year.

When you run an invoice on Edmunds or anywhere else, you need to be sure the base prices match. I believe Edmunds only posts the latest one.

This can bite you if you are looking at an early model year car using today's invoice prices. What you think is 100 over invoice may actually be closer to 1000 over!

I'm afraid by the time I'm ready to buy later this year, the base price may be over 22k.

Mikey
    That's why Edmunds also lists the retail price. IF the retail prices don't match, the invoice prices won't either.
    I am of the belief that GM has basically lost their mind.
    The price increases continue unabate adn the rebates continue unabated.
    The cars are clearly not worth what they are asking for them.
    Why not decrease the MSRP by 2 grand and run the occasional $500 rebate or low interest loan.
    Because with the higher stated retail price, one can qualify for loans that you couldn't otherwise. Also, some people want that rebate in their pocket, and mistakenly believe it is money from heaven (they get to pay it back as part of the loan).

Also $3000 off sounds ever so much better than a price that is $3000 less. Human nature.

Chrysler started this back when it was near bankruptcy. Iacocca: BUY A CAR, GET A CHECK.

It was years before it stopped.

This time, note that the alleged foreign manufacturers are NOT having to do it. Only the Big Three are racing to the bottom. It may well take one or more of them to the brink of bankruptcy before it is over.
  • drivinisfundrivinisfun Posts: 372
    And the never ending rebates and free financing are affecting the residual values of these cars. GM needs to realize this one way or another. While I think the Impala is a terrific product in many ways, but the resale value of this car is quickly deteriorating and it is sad to think that only after 36 months of service all you can get back is about 37% to 40% of original MSRP.

Message to GM: Stop being the "Walmart" of the auto industry. Stop killing the resale value of your products with rebates, free financing and never ending fleet sales. Let your products stand on their own merits and quality not on fire sales!!
  • to justify a new one. I'm seeing 02 base Impalas advertised for 11k with about 20k miles or so. Rentals I guess.

They're looking like a better alternative than new. Especially since I drive 40k miles a year.

Mikey