Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2005 and Earlier Chevrolet Impala

Comments

• jkohanjkohan Posts: 9
    I have an 01 Impala LS and have had problems with the rotors. I am thinking about getting an 04 LS, but was wondering if Chevy is still having problems with the rotors?

What are the majority of the comments about the 04 SS? Was thinking about that one too. Does the SS take premium unleaded? If so, then that one is out of the question.

Has anyone out there gone from an 01 LS to an 04 LS and if so, was there a noticable difference in the two cars or was it no big deal?
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Posts: 2,287
    The SS does require premium unleaded.

And for those of you who will find it grand, today I found out I need a tie rod on the front right side and wheel bearings on the front left, all to be done on Tuesday. At 157,950 miles.

Still not at all displeased...

And I never had ANY problem with the rotors on my 2000 Impala LS...
  • b4zb4z Posts: 3,372
    Had my right front bearing replaced at around 45K miles.
    Cost $550. Was not happy.
    Supposedly the 3 failure items on Impala cop cars are wheel bearings, transmissions and suspension parts.
  • bsappbsapp Posts: 21
    Hello: It's been some time since I've posted but I have a situation with my 2002 LS in Bronzemist. First of all, the car has been troublefree and a joy to drive. It has a little over 17,000 miles on it and when I put on brakes to slow down from speed or to stop, the front end shakes and the steering wheel does as well. Are my rotors warped? The car has never been abused or wrecked and I've never even hit a large sized pothole with it. The tires rotated every 6,000 miles, proper air is kept in the tires. If the rotors are warped, has anyone had experience with this and is it something that the warranty will cover. I have a service appointment on Tuesday and I would like to know if this is something they would willingly replace for me under warranty or am I going to have to argue about it. For what its worth, it's a small town dealer and every car I've had since 1993 has come from this dealership.
    It's time for me to replace my mother's car so I am going to give her my Impala. It's too good a car to trade. I like its looks especially in Bronze Mist. I am going to take another chance with Chrysler and get a 300 Touring. I drove one the other weekend and its a very,very nice car.
    It certainly does sound like warped rotors. Normally, turning/replacing rotors is not done under warranty, but you never can tell!

Good luck!
  • trucker50trucker50 Posts: 148
    John I appreciate your previous posts about my quiery's about replacing the stereo and all the unnecessary hassles that go along with it....man I long for the days when you could just replace the stereo without worrying about all that other crap.
    I too love my 2000 Impala though and after 61,000 miles have done nothing but routine maintenance and replaced the tires(just now needing new pads and rotors)....
    Was wondering about your interest in the new Ford 500. Will you be buying one as soon as they come out or waiting a bit to see of there are any bugs in the new model. I've been thinking about one myself and since I can get one on the A-plan may be taking the leap....
    I also can get one on the A plan. Given what is going on with my Impala, my travel plans, etc., I will take the risk of buying a Five Hundred when they come out...Perhaps I will upgrade/trade to the larger engine when it comes out, but I put 30-40k miles a year on a car, so I can afford to do that, though I will take a huge bath if I do.

I am also interested in AWD. I would have gotten a 2005 Legacy GT, but I am very unhappy with the virtually unusable back seat--you cannot insert foot, toes or anything else under the front seat backs! As for the Impala, perhaps I might be interested when the next version comes along.

I must also confess a tiny part of me is ALMOST interested in the Buick LaCrosse, but the huge trunk, big back seat and AWD of the Ford will probably send me in that direction. I MAY wait til the LaCrosse is at least available before buying the Ford. (And all my friends are trying to convince me to merely buy an ex-rental Grand Marquis/Crown Vic---an option but for the fact I can't stand the unsporty ride and bouncing, poor braking and huge exterior size...yet a back seat not even as big as the Impala's in my subjective view).
  • tsjaytsjay Posts: 4,591
    A whole lot of the service you get depends on your relationship with the service manager at your dealership. It sounds like the way you purchase all of your cars at the local dealership they would want to keep you happy.

I have a super relationship with my GM dealer in the town where I work. I have bought umpteen cars from them, and I have made it clear to them that the reason I keep coming back is because of the way I am treated in the service department. The service manager has done me lots of favors over the years. You would be surprised by how much disgression those guys have regarding warranty work.

I appreciate my service manager so much that when I bought my Impala back in December, I asked that he would be given the "bird dog" fee of $50 for the sale. The bird dog fee, for any who may not be familiar with the term, is the referral fee given to people who send a customer to the dealership, if that customer buys a car.

So, by all means ask that the rotors be replaced under warranty, and if they do it for you, let them know that you appreciate it.

Good luck.

Tom
  • bsappbsapp Posts: 21
    Well, had my service appointment today and my brake rotors were warped. They turned them and the service order states a shim was added also. The whole work order was taken care of by the warranty. According to the service manager, the measurements they took, I'm presuming with the brake pads were very good, so they took care of the rotors for me.
    I am very pleased with this dealership. I know the owner and just about all the staff. They know me on sight and that's important to me. Also important too, is the way I treat them back, never ugly or demanding and I believe that goes a long way too.
    I mentioned earlier I was interested in a 05 Chrysler 300 Touring. The dealer where I got the Impala has a new 2003 Seville SLS that never sold. They offered it to me today for $33,000. Originally it stickered for $48,000. I'm thinking very seriously about this car, I like the Onstar feature that GM has in its car.
    Anyhow, I can report a positive resolution to my brake rotor problem.
    Bill Sapp
  • skuuterskuuter Posts: 144
    Bsapp,

That price is right in line with a used 2003. How many miles are on this car? I think the only possible consideration would be between the 300's RWD vs. the Seville's FWD. If that's not an issue, the Seville is a lot more car, especially if it's unused. Plus the Seville will have the next gen. Magnetic Ride Control.

I'd assume you'd have the full factory warranty? If so, I'd offer them $32K and jump on it.
  • hvan3hvan3 Posts: 630
    Last week, I rented a 2004 Impala base model. I must say, the quality of the 2004 Impala base is much improved than my 2000 Impala LS. The 2004 base acceleration and braking seem to be better than my 2000 LS. The door (when closing) has a better sound installation as well.....
  • kennethkenneth Posts: 13
    In the last 11 years I've owned 2 Lumina's and 2 Impala LS's. No problems with any of them. My current Impala has 1 year to go on the lease, but I'm hoping GM will come out with an early out incentive, since I've got 34k on it and I don't want to have to buy an extended warranty. I've been looking at other car makes and models but I can't find anything that gives me the same value for the money as the Impala. There isn't anything I dislike about the Impala, but I wanted something different. So, I'll probabably get another one (my third).
  • tsjaytsjay Posts: 4,591
    Your words are reassuring, since I am a new Impala LS owner. Got mine in December of 2003.

Actually, it's the wife who drives the Impala, and I will just drive it occasionally.

I am very impressed with the car so far. If you scroll up the posts a ways, you will see the post of mine regarding the killer deal I got.

Tom
  • danzigdandanzigdan Posts: 50
    I think GM has been putting pansy (my friend's words) rotors on their cars for awhile. A friend has a 97 or 98 Malibu he has owned since new and that was one of the only qualms he had with the car. When I acquire my Impala if I have problems with the stock rotors I think I'm going to go with the heavy-duty Raybestos rotors another Impala enthusiast recommended.

My 97 Camry slightly warps rotors fairly quickly as well. I think it's aftermarket crap mixed with ABS that does the Toyota in.
    My first rotors lasted 130,000 miles, and they were the GM ones....
  • fredvhfredvh Posts: 853
    Will there be a 2005 Impala? I might be interested in this vehicle if it comes with driver AND passenger side airbags. I just do not know why they only put the driver's side airbag in the current Impala.
  • pluto5pluto5 Posts: 618
    The side airbag only protects the torso. You need side curtain airbags to protect your head. Judging from GM's past behavior, you probably won't see them in the Imp until they do a major redesign, for 06?
  • gweilogweilo Posts: 118
    Haven't been here for a while. Just wondering if the Impala issues have been cured.
  • zx3for_mezx3for_me Posts: 26
    Hmmmm maybe My interest in a new Impala has come alive again...with the GM loyalty cash it comes out to a 4k rebate...nice..my wife just bought a Vue so that rocks!

ABS worth the extra money? Waffling on it...wondering if worth the extra cake with discs all around
  • hvan3hvan3 Posts: 630
    YES! ABS is definitely worth the money! I've used ABS on a few occasions.