Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2005 and Earlier Chevrolet Impala

Comments

• nosirrahgnosirrahg Posts: 870
    If you're looking at used Impalas, there's something to be said for buying a one-owner used car versus a rental/fleet car. I've had NO interior problems at all (other than the light bulb that illuminates the passenger side temp control, and the "TRAF" button on the radio). And exterior-wise the only problems I've had have been self-inflicted (backing into my own truck one day didn't help!! :blush: ). If the interior/exterior looks abused, you can bet the oil hasn't been changed religiously with Mobil-1!!

If you're worried about driving in snow, find a 3.8 Impala and give it a try; we don't get much snow here, but with the traction control that comes with the 3.8, I've passed Merecedes going uphill in the snow who were struggling to make it, and I effortlessly cruised around them.

Biggest noise problem with these Impalas seems to be tire related, so if one you drive sounds particularly loud check the tires to see if they're a very agressive (or very worn) tire. Admittedly my dad bought a new GMC Sierra crew cab which I drove last weekend, and it seemed much quieter than either my Chevy or my Honda. Whether that's a factor of it being brand new, or whether all GM vehicles in general have improved since the 2000 model I don't know...I know given a choice for road trips, my family far prefers my Impala over our '03 Accord - it's quieter and far more comfortable. The only reason I ever drive the Accord is every weekend or so to go top it off with gas for my wife, fortunately the nearest gas station is only a mile away!!
  • sc00bssc00bs Posts: 87
    I will have to hunt down a 3.8L (they are extremely rare beasts around here it seems, lol). I was just very sad when I drove them because I had loved driving that rental car back a few years ago. Thanks for the tips I will keep those in mind.

I have found a few Grand Prix's with the 3.8L engine and may have to test out one of those (I did notice that the GP has more options than the Impala, but im one who tends to say the more options the more problems, lol).

My other option was actually going to be a Honda, lol. Do you find that your Honda is more, the same, or less reliable than your Chevy?? I like the GM's because they seem more spacious than the Honda's but... its worth asking about.
    The Honda only has 35k miles versus the Impala's 93k, so not an apples to apples comparison in terms of reliability. The Accord (an '03) has had some brake pad problems, and we also had a problem with one of the windows squealing...both problems have been dealt with by the dealer under warranty, but I wouldn't say either was resolved to my satisfaction. I suspect the Honda will prove to be more reliable than the Chevy in the long run, but on the other hand I paid about $2k less for the Chevy and got many more features (V6, traction control, dual zone AC, etc.) than on the Honda.

I personally can't get comfortable in the Honda. Leg room is fine, but it's hip & shoulder room where the Impala really trumps the Accord. I've got the bench seat/column shifter in my Impala, which really opens up the car in terms of leg room and such; I feel very confined in the Honda.

Other quibbles about the Honda...the steering wheel mounted radio/cruise buttons don't light up as they do in the Impala, which makes it VERY difficult to use these at night (especially if you're accustomed to driving the Impala, and you THINK you're adjusting the volume when you're ACTUALLY increasing the speed on the cruise control of the Honda!!). As much as I thought the Impala sunroof looked odd the way it pops out of the car, I think this may actually be a better design because when the sunroof is closed, it sort of works like a cork to keep water out. The Honda sunroof drops inside the roof, and we think it may have leaked in a recent deluge (didn't see any water, but the car smelt very funky for a few days afterwards). Seats are much more comfortable in my Impala too; part of that may be due to the power seat adjusters on my Impala that allow me to raise/lower the front and back of the seat separately, whereas the Honda adjuster just moves the whole seat up and down. My Impala interior (gray cloth) has held up better IMHO than the Honda (tan cloth). The Honda seems to show dirt/stains more, and I think it will probably look pretty ratty by the time it reaches the mileage I'm at in the Impala.

Finally, we haven't been impressed with the gas mileage of the Accord 4-cylinder. Overall it only averages about 2-3 mpg better than my 3.8 Impala in basically the same types of driving conditions, which for the added power/size/comfort/safety of the Impala seems worth it.

I've had my Impala for 6 years now, and even though I'm officially at the point that I could justify trading it for something else, I can't bring myself to get rid of it. My plan now is to drive it at least two more years, partially in hopes of there being some better drivetrain alternatives from GM (hybrids).
  • sjf17xsjf17x Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Impala LS. Recently I've been noticing a constant humming noise only when the car is accelerating and or at a constant speed. The RPMs fluctuate from what I can tell as normal, but the more acceleration there is the louder the noise and it only lowers as the car is coming to a stop. The tires are less than a year old and are kept at right pressure. Possibly need to be rotated but I'm convinced it isnt the tires themselves. Havent taken it in to a dealership yet. Just had the catalytic converter replaced about 6 months ago. Havent noticed any problems with the drive of the car.. just the noise. Any thoughts?
    Check your power steering fluid level...I had a similar problem, which I thought was a transmission noise, but I found if the car was moving and put into neutral, the pitch of the sound changed with revs of the engine, not the speed of the car. Fortunately my only problem was low power steering fluid; once that was topped off the problem was solved.
  • jhavignjhavign Posts: 20
    I have a 2000 Impala LS and the gas guage is going crazy. When I called the dealer for a gas tank sending unit, I was told that it was a complete unit with the fuel pump and everything for over $400. Anyone else have to change this?
  • I have the same problem with my 01 LS. I have not had the repair done. I just zero out the trip odometer and keep track by mileage.
  • Have your converter checked. GM should pay for it, they are aware that there are problems with it.
  • Same issue here on a 2002 Impala with 58K miles. Any feedback on the fix?
  • Hello!

Could anyone advise me as to the best and coolest running thermostat to use in my 2004 impala 3.4???

THANKS! Wheelgunner!
  • sgavettesgavette Posts: 1
    I have 2001 that had the same problem Ordered the sending unit from GMPartsDirect.com. Cost $88.00, shipped, and took about an hour to change it. Part number from them is 89060197.
  • dcngodcngo Posts: 14
    I have a 2000 Impala. The thermometer in my trip computer is not show the correct outdoor temperature. Outside temp. is high 80F, and the thermometer reads mid 60F. Other functions, such as compass, are ok. Does anyone know how to fix this problem? Thanks for your help.

-dn
  • hoyukanhoyukan Posts: 1
    I have about 44k miles on this car .and now it will not start
    if I dont put my foot on the gas and I was geting about 30mpg
    and it has drop to about 20mpg. someone told me it was the idel sensor .anybody know whats wrong with my car
    (no check light on dash)
    thank :confuse:
  • I just purchased an 03 Impala with the police package and though the vehicle runs great it averages only 17 mpg. It has 75k on it and I do not even no where to begin to solve this problem. Any help would be great!
  • charts2charts2 Posts: 618
    The Police Impalas are a little different then the civilian cars. There are a couple hundred pounds heavier to start with. They have heavy steel wheels, full sized spare tire in the trunk and are equipped with heavy duty alternator, rad, additional coolers for oil, transmission etc. I am not certain but I believe the roof of the car has two support sheet metal pieces under the headliner that civilian cars do not. They also have a higher ratio rear end that saps mpg but increases acceleration. I believe its 3.29 to 1, where the civilian cars are 2.92 to 1. That alone makes a difference in city driving mpg.

For a car that been through a lot of idling and high pursuit runs in its life, I would suggest you change the spark plugs, check and change the air filter. That might help a little.
  • jhavignjhavign Posts: 20
    Where is it located? Is it part of the fuel pump? Thanks, sorry for the slow reply, haven't been online for a while.
  • Thanks for the info that helped. I changed the plugs, checked the air filter and though the vehicle show no codes when you rev it up(which I did not do until after I changed things) in park at around 4500 RPM it is cutting out real bad, almost like a fuel restriction. It also seems that its pickup is average at best(my wifes base 04 Malibu does just as well) but when you punch it while in gear it runs ok(does not seem to cut out like it does in park. Thanks again for any help. :confuse:
  • charts2charts2 Posts: 618
    Another issue many 2000-2004 Impalas had were clogged catalytic converters. The police Impalas were more prone to this then civilian cars because of the amount of idling these cars were subject to. This caused per performance and lowered MPG. GM has extended the warranty on the catalytic converters to 7 years for 3800 V6 Impalas. Might be something to check out.
  • Just bought a 2003 Impala LS with the 3.5 engine with standard features, and paid $8000.00 for it. Private one owner, excellent condition. Everything looks good and it drives well. No accidents. What should I be aware of as far as future trouble? I hope to have none, but that is too wishful. Thanks.
  • Not much to worry about. Just from experience (2000 Base and 2003LS) I have found a short list of common problems that dont affect everyone, but are still common to this model....
    1. Brake Rotors sometimes Warp (on every car, but often with Impala)Make sure when a wheel is removed from car, it is put back on with nuts torqued at correct lbs. force.
    2. ISS Click when turning Steering Wheel. Not a killer, but annoying.
    3. LS Model has a 3800 Series II engine in model year 2003, so Manifold Gasket leaks happen, Antifreeze leaks can happen within engine if your gasket gets old and cracks.
    4. turn signal Flasher relay is actually enclosed within the Hazard Switch on your dash. When it dies, replacing the Hazard button assembly is quick work.

Anyone else add anything?