Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Who is going to fix it?

13»

Comments

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,520
    yeah, more like 15%--that's about what it would take to install it.

AC might mean little to you but it may mean a lot to the next buyer.

• andre1969andre1969 Posts: 21,896
    Are the power windows and seat factory original, I wonder, or were they added on later? I'd imagine that both would be EXTREMELY rare on a low level car in 1955 like a Chevy. In fact, I don't think Plymouth even offered a power seat until 1957! However, in those days Plymouths were paired up in dealerships with Dodges, DeSotos, and Chryslers, so they tended to keep Plymouths a bit cheap on purpose, I think, to encourage you to move up to a pricier brand. Chevrolet didn't suffer from that handicap. Even though GM would rather you move up and buy something more expensive, at least the Chevy dealers were usually stand-alone.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 17,621
    I don't care so much about the lack of A/C and the carburetor doesn't bother me much either. He says it gets around 12-14 MPG.

Fintail, on Sunday August 18th at the Triple XXX drive in in Issaquah they are having their 14th annual 55-57 Chevy show. It'll probably be there if you want to see it.

The owner is pretty casual about selling it. Won't put a For Sale sign on it etc.

I know if I waved 40K under his nose I'ld own it.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 17,621
    Yes, those options were pretty rare but so were Nomads.

A/C was first available on Chevys in 1955 but it was something like 450.00.

On a 2800.00 car, that was a LOT of money. Power Windows and seats were considered by many to be totally unnecessary and "one more thing to break"

People were more conservative in those days.

Most people saved their money (gasp) and paid cash. If the financed it was for 24 months.
  • fintailfintail Posts: 33,563
    I think power seats were kind of a premium item maybe even up into the 80s or later. Thinking back to the cars I remember, I remember the Tempo in our family had a power drivers seat - but the Ciera didn't have any. I don't think the S-10 Blazer had them, my uncles early basic Taurus L didn't have them, but my mom's GL did. The old T-Bird had them of course, but I bet they were standard. I think even in some modern cars, you'll only get one power seat.

Easier to save and pay cash then no doubt, when the relationship between wages and prices of cars, housing, education, healthcare, etc was a lot different than now.

I'll be out of town or just returning on the 18th, but there's another show a week before, the local MBCA event, held up in Mountlake Terrace. I'll be around for that.
13»