Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Who is going to fix it?

Comments

• fintailfintail Posts: 32,890
    Watch those B-J auctions from back in the bubble years to see that, indeed. Those with more money than they know what to do with.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 17,347
    Well, you can get your money back but probably not!
  • MrShift@EdmundsMrShift@Edmunds Posts: 43,633
    Like the guy who paid $110,000 for a restored Austin Healey 3000 last week? It's a superb resto, better than new and all that, but still -----you put that car for sale on the Internet and you'd be lucky to pull $85K seems to me.
    I have a good customer who has two 3000 Healys that have been restored.

These cars have been restored, these aren't 100 point cars nor are they Trailer Queens. They are both drop dead georgous and only a real professional judge could nitpick them. They will jump in one of them and think nothing of driving to San Diego from Seattle and back.

If they get a tiny rock chip it isn't the end of the world.
  • andre1969andre1969 Posts: 21,578
    If they get a tiny rock chip it isn't the end of the world.

That's the main reason I'm a bit reluctant to get my DeSoto repainted. Right now, if it got a chip here or a scratch there, I'm not going to have a fit over it. But once I got it repainted, I'm afraid it would worry me to death.

I wonder though...once I get the car back from the mechanic, since the seats will be re-done, should I get some of those clear plastic covers for them like what old people put on their furniture? :P
  • martianmartian Posts: 220
    JC dropped their old car parts lines years ago..I remember looking at thier catalogs, and wondering how many carburators for a 1936 Ford they sold...or brake drums for a '55 Peugeot!
    I wonder if their business decision reflects the fact that there just isn't any interest in these old heaps anymore? Meaning that the guys who liked these cars are in nursing homes (or graveyards).
  • lemkolemko Posts: 15,067
    Heck, I recall seeing replacement grilles for 1940s Pontiacs, Chevrolets, Fords, and Buicks in the J C Whitney catalog back in the 1970s.
  • texasestexases Posts: 5,423
    You used to pretty much be able to build a Model A (at least the sheet metal) from parts in some of the older JCW catalogs, IIRC.
    That's the problem---you can STILL build a Model A from catalogs, and the parts are way better than JC's stuff. A lot of JC parts were pretty cheesy (speaking from experience). I remember once ordering a headlight rim for my 49 Chevy coupe and it felt like it had been made from an Italian TV dinner tray.
    Wow...THREE YEARS since this thread died as they usually do given enough time.

Still looking for the right old car at the right price.

A guy I know has to sell his beautiful 1955 Nomad. It's been "updated" with a 350 engine and a Turbo 400. It's Gypsy Red (orange) and white. Other than a set of Crager Mags and raised white letter tires, it's bone stock.

He will sell it to me for 40,000. Any opinions?
    edited July 2013
    I'd put correct looking wheels and tires on it, it's not 1978 anymore. Otherwise, sounds cool, but it would need to be really nice.
  • oldbearcatoldbearcat Posts: 161
    I had a friend that sold a 55 Sedan last year that was much as you described the Nomad. He got $43K for it.

Regards:
    Oldbearcat
    Yeah, at that price it would have to be a pretty nice retro-rod----not necessarily trophy-winning show quality, but certainly without any obvious needs, and all the workmanship would have to be top notch. (quality components, no mickey-mouse attachments or jury-rigs, etc).

The most important thing with retro-rods is to DRIVE them before you buy--some of these rods look great but drive like crap because they were not well thought out; for instance, some are built with absurdly stiff suspensions and bushings, and the ride is brutal; others drive well but the noise and heat level is unacceptable; some look great but rattle like a washing machine because none of the window-work was done; some are over-cammed and are ornery in traffic.
    I realize that most people think the "upgrades" that have been done are a big plus.

Personally, I wish it still had the 265 with power pack and the Powerglide it came with but that's me.

I think all of the changes are reversible if someone wanted to go that way. I wouldn't remove the dual master cylinder for safety reasons.

This car is a knockout when it comes to looks and although I haven't driven it, it seems to run well. The owner took it on a long road trip last summer.

I have to admit, I think the Crager chrome wheels are dated but they do give it a good look. I believe the owner still has the original wheels and hubcaps.

It even has power windows and seat! Very rare options for that year.

It did have a Wonderbar radio before it was pulled out and sold for big money. He didn't cut the dash but it has a modern CD unit in it now. A good thing, I suppose.

Still thinking.....
    Is this a FI engine? Does it have AC? With wheels and caps, and if the cosmetics really are wonderful, it might not be a bad deal. Couldn't purchase one with needs and fix it up like that for the same money.

Shame about the radio, I'd find one to put back in. I think there are modern units that kind of look old for American cars of that era, too.
    AC and FI would be almost mandatory at that price.
    No A/C and no Fuel injection.

A couple of years ago he told a funny story. he was somewhere in (I think) So. Dakota on a two lane highway stuck between a slow moving line of traffic.

He couldn't see what was holding things up so when he had a chance, he jumped on it and passed three cars. In front was guy dressed in white, riding what he thought was a Honda 90.

As he passed the Honda at 100 MPH, his fan somehow connected with the radiator!

As he pulled over, he looked back and the guy on the Honda was no longer dressed in white. He had turned green from the coolant!

The radio already has been replaced with a modern unit. No damage to the ash was done.
    Still, I see ones in Hemmings or 65,000 that aren't as nice.

But...anyone can ask anything
    $65K would be knock-out, drop dead, gorgeous show car with every imaginable goody on it. No AC is a big discount on a retro-rod. The lack of FI is okay, but suggests a lower level of build. Carburetors are stupid, fuel injection is smart.
    No AC isn't a killer in Seattle - you won't need it often, but I anyway would want FI. However, these might make good negotiating points, deduct 10-15%?