Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Tacoma: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• Thanks for all the info. I still think I'm pretty much set on a new tacoma though. Can't stop thinking about the limited badging!

My mother is a die-hard Chevy fan. It's not that she's so much of a fan, as that she wouldn't think of buying any other brand because of the small town relationship she has with the local dealer. She has all sorts of problems with her Chevy's, though. Even had the dealer take one back under the Az lemon laws. So I guess all manufacturers have their problems. I've seen enough Toyota's to believe in them.

But it's nice to hear other people's opinion on it. Exactly what I was wanting to hear. Again, thanks.
  • mtngalmtngal Posts: 1,911
    I've put off looking at a seat swap because I really would prefer to have AWD or 4x4 in my daily driver, and my Taco is only a 2WD. It is also a 4 banger which is adequate, I guess, but I get tired of having to downshift to 4th to make it up the steeper parts of my commute at 70 (and having little low end grunt - makes getting on the freeway at my entrance difficult sometimes). At the moment I just drive the Wrangler in when the roads get bad, rather than mess with chains at 4am (which also means that if I had a 2000 4x4 I would probably have at least 115,000 miles on it).

What other seats would fit the Taco that wouldn't require drilling etc.? Next month the Wrangler is paid off so I'll have something extra at payday to do things with.
  • Hey folks. I've noticed that in my '02 Toyota Tacoma DoubleCab v6, when I've got the O/D off and I punch the gas at around 70, the engine pulls good to about 73, then mildly cuts back (all the while the speedo keeps rising) to about 78, then the engine feels like it's at full power again. Any thoughts? Is it something peculiar with my lock up torque converter or something? Under the exact same conditions with the O/D on, the engine just keeps pulling till I let off the gas.
  • saddaddysaddaddy Posts: 566
    torque converter I believe. Nothing out of the ordinary, maybe yours is just more noticeable or something. I had all that shifting stuff explained to me once but forgot it. It really gets kind of complicated when you think about O/D, then the t/c, and then with the ECT on or off. Talk about a mess to discuss via the keyboard. Hehe, have a good one.
  • I'm thinking that the t/c is all that it is. But before I take it to the dealer and have them mess with it, I was just looking for a second opinion. Thanks, saddaddy. I was wondering, though, if anybody actually had the problem, or is it just me?
  • tsmith16tsmith16 Posts: 16
    kirbyt, there is a technical service bulletin for some tacomas that deals with this (BO 011-01 seat belt tongue plate stopper-new parts).
  • I have a 99 Taco 4x4 and the only gripe I have is that the emergency parking brake light is on even though it is off. This is the second time it has happened and seems to be a winter thing. Anyway the problem is only minor and the truck has always been a reliable truck.
  • bstoutbstout Posts: 38
    I've got my 2000 taco in the local dealership at this moment. I took the technician for a test drive and could only make it do it once while he was along. When I'm alone I can't make it stop doing it. I notice that when I wash the truck it seems to do it less. Maybe something on the under carriage gets cleaned or unplugged or wiggled from the car wash spray such as a funky molex connector. This is going to take more than a computer geek type technician to repair, its going to take a REAL MECHANIC. Something from the past!
  • smgillessmgilles Posts: 252
    Are you blowing any fuel pump fuses when these things are happening? Why I ask is because I had a Nissan that would cut out everytime I washed it. I thought it was the fuel filter so I replaced it, well it kept doing it. I eventually found that the wiring harness on top of the gas tank going to the fuel pump was shorting out, which was tripping the fuses. I know it's a long shot but I think you are to the point of long shots.

Also, have you checked your plug wires or had them tested?
    Shane: I picked my truck up Friday night and they can't find the problem. You once made a comment about cleaning the massive air flow gismo right after the air cleaner before the throttle body. The mechanic at the dealership said this component was just outside its range and that changing it probably would not fix the problem.

There are no fuses blowing or check engine lights coming on or anything other than crappy performance which makes the vehicle much less fun to drive and extremely unsafe in a passing situation.

I don't know what to do. Neither does anyone else especially the dealerships!
    Since the factory authorized dealerships are unable to help I've contacted Toyota. I want to give them every chance to repair this potenially dangerous condition. They tell me they'll get back to me before 04/17/03. They gave me a number 200304140193. I asked the Toyota Rep (Sylvia) to e-mail me a confirmation of our discussion and she does not have the ability to do that. Toyota's e-mail system is limited to inside the company only and they can not e-mail out.
    The only other thing I could think of is that you have a bad injector along the fuel rail. Let me know what Toyota does for you. Sorry I haven't been much help to you.
    Shane: Quite the contrary! You and everyone else one this board have been extremely helpful and best of all "Damn Straight!" Its great to have the support from you folks. I'll post any nuances as things move along.

I'm hoping Toyota will send out some cracker jack mechanic. You know the type, they hardly ever say anything just smile!
  • davedave1davedave1 Posts: 45
    Some time ago i posted a message about some low-idle engine noise in my 2002 4 cyl 2.4L tacoma. It now has about 9000 miles on it and on it's third oil change. Started at about 5000 miles. Thought I'd ask opinions again.
      The noise sounds a bit like a diesel but only at low idle when hot. No other problems, just noisy.
      Dealer 1 couldn't hear it (maybe not hot enough); dealer 2 could and said maybe it was a problem and documented it. Said either valve train noise or exhaust noise, maybe. Couldn't see a reason to tear the engine down at that point. No noise when the engine revs up or when cold.
      Do any tacoma owners have such 'noise' in your 4 cyls.??
      Thanks...
    Does it sound like a ticking sound..? I know the V6's make this sound at low idle and is due to the fuel injectors. Some people mistake the sound for valves or an exhaust leak. I have a 2001 and put a stethescope on it and sure enough the sound was coming from the injectors. I don't know if it is the same for the 2.4's or not, but it sounds awful familiar.
    This morning on the way into work I went to pass a hay wagon and the engine died entirely once again except this time the "Check Engine" light finally, yes finally came on! I contacted the authorized servicer who has been trying to locate the problem. He is going to call me back. I also contacted Toyota last Monday and they're going to call me back also.
    Authorized servicer called back. He's to busy to look at it again this week. I called yet another(3rd one) authorized servicer and he can look at it tomorrow (Friday) morning. Hope someone can figure it out.
  • davedave1davedave1 Posts: 45
    Thanks smgilles,
      No, the noise can best be described as the same type of sound a 4 cyl diesel like some of the vw's. When i park next to a building wall, it really echoes and is noticable.
      When i first heard it, i was looking around at the stop light for the diesel i was near! It is not as bad (rattly) as a diesel but the same low-engine noise at idle (sort of a light rumble); it goes away on the taco as you rev the engine.
      I did ask the toyota mechanic if it could be low oil pressure at hot idle and he laughed... he'd never heard of a toyota losing oil pressure.
      I do hear light injector noise, but it's a higher pitched sound, i think...
       Appreciate your's (and everyones) feedback
    I took my truck into the last authorized Toyota dealership in our area this morning and it appears to be repaired. I'll know for sure by Monday after driving it over the weekend.

Toyota never returned my call as they had promised. Not a peep!

===========================================
  • To thehitcher, I also had the brake light on issue. It turned out that I just had to top off the fluid level. It was not that low but I added to the full line and the light went out. The parking brake light and the low level fluid light is the same, but use different circuits.

davedave1, I also have the 2.4L with the ticking noise. Sounds like the valves ticking, I have a 1999 with only 18,000 miles. I figure it's not an Issue. For the most part a bullet proof engine.

Now I have a question: When I shut my truck off and remove the key, the air bag light and the gear shift "P" (auto) lights stay on. The radio also works. It's like it stuck in ACC. position. I removed/installed the battery cable and it stops for awhile. Any ideas.
This discussion has been closed.