Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Tacoma: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• cplamb1cplamb1 Member Posts: 1
    I was driving down the Interstate yesterday and did something I had done many times in my 2006 toyota tacoma v6 4x4 longbed but this new beast caught me by surprise and I wondered if it was typical? I was in the slow lane approaching a car (Cruise set at 65) in front of me and was unable to pull to the fast lane to pass as a car was approaching from behind in that lane. I "released" the Cruise to slow down by blipping the lever towards me and then when the car was past me I pushed up on the lever to resume my speed, pull out and pass. I was originally going about 65 slowed to about 50 and was "resuming" to 65. The truck gradually began to increase speed but when it hit about 55 all of a sudden it down shifted about two gears and the engine revved to about 3500K+ (in about 1/2 second) and I felt like I was in the Daytona 500! I blipped the cruise again so that it would release and I used the accelerator to get back up to speed and then reset the cruise. Is this normal for the new 5 speed? Startling to say the least! Thanks!
  • tokyojoetokyojoe Member Posts: 13
    I need your advise on which tonneau cover fits my 06 Tacoma's 6ft bed(2x4,4cyl model,Access Cab with the factory installed bed rail system)as I'm so confused because many seem to fit one without the rail system(but all 06 models come with the rail systems).
  • fredj2fredj2 Member Posts: 1
    I just had my 2000 tacoma (2.7L; 120,000 miles) in to Toyota to diagnose the check engine light and was told that the exhaust valve on #3 cylinder was tight and the engine needs a valve job ($2,000).

Please let me know how you ended up resolving your valve issue. Anything that you wished you had done different?

Thank you. Fred
  • nolammnolamm Member Posts: 1
    Try the Access Roll-Up Cover made by Agri-Cover, Inc. It fits without any clamps or drilling and incorporates the rail system so you can still use the tie downs. The cover rail securing bolts use the existing holes for the rail system. I have it on my 06 Taco and it works and fits great. Get many compliments. Only took about an hour to install. Also has a lifetime warranty. Can be opened with one hand and ribs are intigrated into the cover. If you check the photo gallery on their website you can see what one looks like installed on a Taco.
  • ustazzafustazzaf Member Posts: 311
    It is typical of the Automatic Toyotas in general (maybe other models too). I found that out with my Tundra too. The cruise doesn't believe in getting up to speed slowly. Years ago the cruise would pull the throttle down a little bit and either hold it there or cut the cruise off. The Toys just keep pulling until speed is achieved, even if it means shifting down a few gears. Where I really noticed the shifting was in the mountains with a trailer in tow. Scared the crap out of me the first time. Used to be that the cruise would kick out when the speed dropped about 4MPH. Tundra just pulled harder. I found that I had to kick the cruise out on hills and use the pedal to accelerate rather than the cruise. Hit resume when you get within a couple miles per hour. I solved the problem (if it is a problem) by getting a stick. Can't blame the cruise. You say you want to go 65 and it is going to get you there (or hold you there )as quick as possible. Comes with the drive to put smaller, more efficient engines in vehicles.
    An inch and a half at 31K is certainly not acceptable. I am going to assume that you mean the steering wheel moves that much with the engine running with no movement to the tires. The easiest way to find the problem is to have someone sit in the truck and turn the wheel back and forth real slow (just to the point of tire movement) with the engine running. What you want to watch is the rack assembly (bushing play will allow the rack to move left and right). There should be zero movement. Also, watch to see if there is steering wheel movement with no response at all from the racc (internal racc problem). Look at the tierod ends at the wheel also. One may have movement. Again there should be no play. If all else fails, jack the wheel by the lower ball joint and by the frame to see if either wheel has play up, down, in, out, anything that may be loose. At 31K, the dealer is just hoping you will limp through 36K so they will get paid better to fix the problem. Granted, the dealer gets paid by the manufacture for warrantee work, but they don't have to answer for their repairs to a knowledgeable rep if it is not warrantee repair. It is no different with Nissan, Ford or Hyundai. There may be a quarter inch play in 6 different parts that are all within limits, so the factory refuses to pay the bill. But add all the minor defects up and you have a big problem. The dealer can charge you for them and fix your problem. I think your problem is the racc mount bushings though, and they should be replaced under warranty if they are bad, and they will not show up as bad until you have the wheels on the ground putting pressure on it while turning. If you are in the Tacoma area I would be happy to look at it. Otherwise, good luck!
    Nolamm, thanks for your advise. I thought the Access is one of the best in soft covers. However, only Access's "Literider" or "Limited Edition" models seem to fit mine. According to AutoAnything.com site, Access's original "Roll-up" cover fits one without the rail system but as you know all 06 Tacos come with the rail system factory installed. That's why I'm confused. Please let me know which model yours is and its approximate weight. Also advise if the gas mileage improved.
  • njm8506njm8506 Member Posts: 2
    I have a '96 Tacoma that will not restart if 1) I've driven it for more than half an hour; and 2) it's about 85 degrees or hotter outside. It acts like it's flooded when I try to start it. Eventually it will turn over but it takes some work. The dealer can't figure it out. Any ideas?
  • njm8506njm8506 Member Posts: 2
    OK, I'm not a mechanic so this is probably a simple question. I drove down the street with the emergency brake on a few times and the light wouldn't go off. I took the truck to the dealer and he said it needed to be replaced so I said fine. About 5 days later I hit a bump and the brake light came on again. I took it back to the dealer and said what gives? He said they only replaced the cable on the right side and not the entire thing. That was not my understanding of what happened. The mechanic came out and said that the truck is 10 years old and that the cables were all rotted underneath there. He said eventually the e-brake would go. Well last night it went. Trouble is, I think it broke in the "on" position. I drove the truck this morning and it drives weird and smells weird when I turn it off.
    Dumb question -- Can I drive like that anyway until I get it fixed? What's the worst that could happen?
  • seranikoseraniko Member Posts: 27
    anybidy had added afteramrket cruise control kit on their taco's? I have an 06 that i'd like to use the audiovox ccs100 kit, but i need the instructions. help. thx.
  • rocklarockla Member Posts: 12
    I got a 06 taco, four doors sr5 automatic 32000km on it. I have been toping up the power steering fluid ever seance I got the truck. Went to the dealer and they did not see any problem whit it then.
    I was driving it last week and got a massive oil leak from one of the seals of the rack and pinion got it towed to the dealer and they replaced it on warranty told me it was a first time they saw that. Ever noticed that the original power steering fluid from factory is not dextron III . It’s a clear oil.
    Any body know how do I check my auto transmition oil level??
    Dont see any dipstick on my 06 v6. can anybody help me?
  • woofwoof Member Posts: 27
    I'm wondering how many have noticed the poor shift patterns of the 05-06 Tacoma's auto transmissions? Issues: hunting for gears, downshifts when going downhill, slow to downshift when more power is needed, many unnecessary shifts, "shudder", rought shifts, etc. These issues have been documented on tundrasolutions.com. Many have reported to Toyota and have requested new software and assitance to fix. BTW, if you drive mostly on level roads, you probably won't experience this.
  • 1fasthorsie1fasthorsie Member Posts: 16
    You obviously had a steering rack end seal leaking inside the bellows boot,so nobody could "see" the leak, untill it became so bad it blew out.My '99 taco x-cab (88,000 miles now) never had to have a drop of p-s fluid added so far, what happened to toyota quality? got me.Lucky yours "failed" before it was out of warranty.(if it "had" to fail that is)
  • 1fasthorsie1fasthorsie Member Posts: 16
    What some folks don't realize is that when a valve face and seat wears, the rocker arm to valve stem clearance can be reduced, eventually resulting in the valve not sealing tight enough when closed, which will result in valve burning due to the torch-like effect of the heat of combustion leaking past it. I have heard of 2.7L taco engines making it way past 150-k with no valve adjustments, but it is risky going that long without having valve clearance (non hydraulic lifter type)checked, and adjusted if needed.
    I had a similar problem with the power steering system on my 06 Taco SR5(2.7,access cab,4AT)at 2000 miles only 2 months after the purchase. Originally I noticed the oil level in the power steering reservoir was low and put some ATF(dexron III-red stuff). I kept putting for about 2qts, then power steering went out but there was no leak. But I realized the two rubber boots connected to each end of power steering unit at the bottom were both swollen up. They were holding the 2qts as well as the original oil. Local Toyota dealer kept my Taco for 2 days and replaced the whole unit under warranty. Yes, I noticed that the original oil in the reservoir was a clear one but the oil the dealer put was the same red stuff that I had.
  • jfigueroa1jfigueroa1 Member Posts: 209
    Good Day,
    I work on marine engines and for what I had seen,
    for the out board engine steering some people will use regular red hydra/ different
    red= a few $$ a quart
    clear seastar hydra= 20.00 a quart.
    maybe factory invest a lil more on high end oils thinking the part will not fail, and oil will be good for many years.
    dealers need to save $$.
  • jmueseljmuesel Member Posts: 2
    I had a similar problem. At first I thought it was the fuel pump cutting out or just out right failing. However, before I tried replacing the $200 fuel pump, I tried replacing the fuel-injector relay. What happened is when the vehicle would heat up, a crack in the relay would expand causing a short in the relay, in turn shutting off the fuel injectors. Also, on the hot days when the truck would sit in the sun, the relay would again heat up and the relay would short out. I replaced the fuel injector relay for something like $60 and the truck has run ever since. My relay was located, I believe, under the steering column in the cab right underneath the dashboard. You might want to check that location from Chilton's Manual or another automotive technology book.

Best of luck to you.
  • jmueseljmuesel Member Posts: 2
    I had a similar problem. At first I thought it was the fuel pump cutting out or just out right failing. However, before I tried replacing the $200 fuel pump, I tried replacing the fuel-injector relay. What happened is when the vehicle would heat up, a crack in the relay would expand causing a short in the relay, in turn shutting off the fuel injectors. Also, on the hot days when the truck would sit in the sun, the crack in the relay would again heat up and the relay would short out. Once the vehicle cooled off, the crack would shrink and the relay would work again. I replaced the fuel injector relay for something like $60 and the truck has run ever since. My relay was located, I believe, under the steering column in the cab right underneath the dashboard. You might want to check that location from Chilton's Manual or another automotive technology book.

Best of luck to you.
    are they self cancelling on 06 taco?
  • dustinmdustinm Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 06, and I want to mount my old tool box from my 90's taco into my new one, the only problem is the bed is plastic. Does anyone have any ideas on where to find the slide rail mounts for tool boxes?
  • nmtaconmtaco Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2005 Tacoma Regular cab 2.7/automatic and it stalled on me in the intersection today for the first time. I have less than 14k miles on it. It has never done that before and is currently at Toyota now. I got it started only to keep stalling out on me, I pulled to a Valvoline for them to look at (just in case it was something minor, like the battery cable, etc.) but had to get a tow truck. Good thing too because I'm 9 months pregnant and can go into labor any minute! I am hoping that they will fix the problem, or else I can never trust the vehicle again! "Go toyota", should be more like "Go Walking"...If you can think of anything else that it could be (it was only 85 degrees today) I would appreciate it!
  • nmtaconmtaco Member Posts: 4
    I got a call from Toyota today, they have to replace my entire fuse box. They were very surprised because they have never seen this needed for a new truck with so few miles...Anyway, at least they found out the problem and will fix it...Has anyone else experienced such a problem on their new Toyota??
  • farmer3farmer3 Member Posts: 21
    I have an '02 tacoma 4-door 4wheel drive that has been leaking water. When you turn, it spills over either into the driver or passenger floorboard (the water is freezing cold and it sizzles. It like sloshes around when you turn and seems to "spill" out in the floorboard). We had an exceptionally hot summer, although I did not drive the vehicle much. Anyone know what the cause might be?
  • ghstridrghstridr Member Posts: 1
    any luck finding a toyota manual ? The starter or selonoid seems to have gone bad in mine, I tried to pull out the started but you cant unless you drop the tranny or brake lines. I have 96 tacoma, 2.4 4x4 a dealer told me it is uusally the connetions on the inside but i can pull it out to work it.
    check the drain tube from the a/c evaporator...might be disconnected, should discharged outside the cab.
  • mfranckomfrancko Member Posts: 2
  • mfranckomfrancko Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2006 Tacoma 4.0 AUTO TRD Off Road 4door short bed. When I leave a stop the vehicle shakes or shudders. This happens from about 3 to 10 mph. The factory suggested replacing the drive line but that did not work. Has anyone cured this or had the problem? Thanks mfrancko
  • farmer3farmer3 Member Posts: 21
    Thanks Farmer3. Used a coat hanger the first couple of times. Stick it in the drain hole from the engine and the water just pours out (I could feel something a little weird w/ the coat hanger like something was opening up? Thought that did it, but several days later it filled up again, and again. This time I took the rubber drain thing off --geez that thing is rather big --how could it get clogged??? I could find nothing. Removing the plastic pan that originally hold the water before it goes through the rubber tube, looked very complicated to remove and more than I wanted to get involved in (aka --eff it up!). Could it have been some air bubble, or something. I stuck the hanger in the plastic part (w/ a hook) but of course I could feel nothing or remove nothing. This is weird. We'll see...?

T
  • vramirezvramirez Member Posts: 3
    On my 06 I couldn't find any screws.Do you know how to remove an 06?
    Can someone tell me step by step how to remove my stereo to my 06 tacoma?
  • 5swords5swords Member Posts: 1
    So here it is, please help in you can. I have this 03 Tacoma and this past week it was taking a couple of cranks more that usual to fire up. one day it just died out like the battery wasn't strong enough so i tried to change the battery and the other battery didn't fit so i put the old one back in and just charged it up. During that time I blew the 120 amp fuse in the process and got that changed and now it starts up BUT now it has no power the gas pedal does little to the RPM's and shifts harder than normal. Is there something like a fuse or relay that is doing this? Oh yea the check engine light is now on too.
    hi, you got to pry out the tempurture controle unit bellow the radio , the srews for the radio are at the back of this unit. sent me your email and i can send you detailed pictures of it. or I can post them here but dont know how to attache them.">link title
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516

We are doing some reorganization of topics here, in an effort to make things a little more focused and easier to follow. For those of you who regularly read this discussion, we invite you to check out the new focused discussions here at the Toyota Tacoma Group. We would like you to use these discussions first, based on your particular question or comment, and use this only if you genuinely can't find something appropriate - or just drop me an email if you think a new discussion is needed.

Thanks!
    kcram - Pickups Host
    I tried that and I didnt se any screws. This website wont let me give out my e-mail. Can you explain it all in detail. Thanks
  • jimmyg4jimmyg4 Member Posts: 1
    I have a '01 tacoma. The brake solenoid went out that allows you to push the shift button on the shifter, I now have to use the small manual release button next to the shifter to shift gears (of course I found this out the hard way, at the worst time, while trying to pull my boat out of the water on the launch ramp!).

Question - My brake lights do not work now. Is the problem related? All fuses are fine, parking lights work, running lights, back up lights, all are fine, just no lights when I hit the brakes. I can live with the manual shifting, but can I get my brake lights back??

Thanks!

jimmyg4
  • mikefm58mikefm58 Member Posts: 2,882
    I've got an 04 Tacoma with 25K miles and the heat shield started rattling. Dealer says the weld is coming apart and that it's all part of the catalytic converter, but is covered on warranty. So much for Toyota quality.
  • tacoman05tacoman05 Member Posts: 37
    It's probably the switch for the brake lights themselves, should be under the dash near the pedal. The shifter is wired in such a way that if it doesn't sense the brake lights on, it won't allow you to shift out of park.

I haven't had this problem on my Taco, but I had a Ford a few years back with the same problem and that's what it ended up being.
  • marc20marc20 Member Posts: 1
    I bought this 92 toyota tacoma its been in the garage for a month to get the front breaks to bleed... the mechanic replaced all the break lines... put in a re-built master cylinder(if had 2 of them now) and replaced the valve pump...weve tried everything and still no luck.. if you have any Suggestions or experienced this problem as well and know what the problem is PLEASE let me know!!!!!
    THANKS
    My advice is to get a new mechanic. Getting brakes to bleed is not rocket science. There are a few things that can cause squishy pedal if that is the problem, but a week is even excessive.
  • camp26camp26 Member Posts: 7
    I have a 2006 tacoma access cab 4X4 TRD and mine does the same thing. They too tried the drive line switch but it didn't do a lick. Their solution: LEARN TO LIVE WITH IT....
    Let me know if you find a better solution.
  • mikefm58mikefm58 Member Posts: 2,882
    " I've got an 04 Tacoma with 25K miles and the heat shield started rattling. Dealer says the weld is coming apart and that it's all part of the catalytic converter, but is covered on warranty. So much for Toyota quality. "

I took the truck in yesterday to have the catalytic converter put on and the problem turned out to be a simple clamp on the exhaust. My dealer is an idiot.
  • mammyratmammyrat Member Posts: 1
    I had the same problem with my 96 2.4 tacoma. It was worse in the summer, started and ran fine in the winter, no codes. I unplugged the air intake temperature sensor (sensor in the side of the air filter) and no more problems. I went to get a new one but toyota wants $70.00. I told them to keep it. It pulls a code now but runs great.
  • guestguest Member Posts: 770
    Is it me or is the V-6 tacoma dip sticks hard to read. I check the oil on a regular bassis and have a hard time getting an accurate oil reading. I even thought the dealer over filled my oil, took it back, they showed the level as being right on. Went home checked it again. Looked to full or couldnt read it???
  • bgrovebgrove Member Posts: 3
    I had requested some help earlier about this unusual feeling after stopping in my 2003 Double Cab Tacoma. My truck felt like it hopped after releasing the brake at an intersection light. I finally had to take it in to the dealer for a recall and I mentioned this to them so that they could check it. What I found out is that there's a grease zert on the very back of the drive line past the tranny. I had it filled with grease and it cured the problem for about a month. I'm now starting to feel it again, and I'll have to get under there and re-fill it. Other posters have mentioned this before and this is just to reinforce this issue.
    Mine is '06 Taco with 2.7 engine but I have the same problem in reading oil level on the stick. A streak of oil always exists at one side of the stick well above the right amount range when I pull out the stick. When I put the right amount of oil according to the manual, the dipstick looks like overfilled. By the way, did you know that my smaller 2.7 engine takes more oil(6.1qt) than your V6(4.8qt)?
    I originally thought that was a typo but it was not. When I poured 4.8qt of oil the dip stick end was barely touching the oil. Although it's still hard to read the level on the stick, 5.5-5.7qts of oil seems to be the right amount for my truck.
  • cpl1171cpl1171 Member Posts: 1
    I own an 06 4x4 dc lb taco with auto transmission and have noticed the same issues you have discussed here. It seem like it doesn't know what gear to use because it keeps on shifting gears when your driving. Before I bought this truck I test drove a prerunner and did not feel anything like it. I wonder if toyota has a fix for this.
  • marcusxmarcusx Member Posts: 22
    "By the way, did you know that my smaller 2.7 engine takes more oil(6.1qt) than your V6(4.8qt)?"

Does anyone know why that is? Shouldn't the V6 take more oil...

-M
    http://www.TacomaWorld.com
  • helitacohelitaco Member Posts: 3
    hey there
    check my comment # 2003 here.
    It's a slip joint causing the problem, easy fix, just keep greasing
This discussion has been closed.