Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Tacoma: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• jshimonjshimon Posts: 7
    O.K., today I found a toyota tacoma with a 3.0 liter...and it is a V-6! What does this mean? Is it as good as a 3.4? I have been searching for a used tacoma (good luck) but I'm too picky. I want a 4x4, 6cyl., and an ext. cab. They have been tough to find. Nobody ever seems to get rid of them! I'm down to two trucks, the 3.0 is in better shape than the 3.4, but is 3.0 too weak? Let me know what you think.
    Thanks!
  • 2k1trd2k1trd Posts: 301
    Stay with the "tacoma" model only ok??much better truck overall...the 3 liter is a stone! :)
  • What do you mean by, "...the 3.0L is in better shape." Honestly the 3.0L engine wasn't a bad engine in its day and will probably last you another 10 years or so without major problems. So long as you don't mind not having as much HP as the Tacoma, go for it! You can even use the fact that it's not a 3.4L as a bargaining point..."Well I was more interested in a more powerful 3.4L Tacoma. What kinda offer can you give me?" Nothing wrong with those 3.0L 150HP Toyota Pickup V6's in my opinion.

Be a little leary of early model 3.4L V6 Tacomas. Ask the owner if they've had problems with the head gasket (a known problem for 1996 - some 1998 models).
  • jshimonjshimon Posts: 7
    Thank you so much for all of your advice. I am going to purchase the 3.0 V-6 tomorrow!!!! I will be posting my tacoma experiences on some of the other sites. I feel bad, the owner really doesn't want to sell, but he has to. He said the spots on the title were teardrops. I am SO looking forward to my 1st Toyota. Hopefully I can get another one after my Ford dies (shhh don't tell the Ford).
    Thanks again for all the info. I have really learned a lot!
    ;)
  • I think ebbgreatdane has a valid point there. As long as you realize that you don't have a lot of acceleration available in the 3.0L, there isn't really anything wrong with that engine design. My old '85 has a 22R that put out about 95hp when it was brand new. I guess that it might break 90hp now after 200K+ miles even with the performance add ons. However, the engine is still plenty capable for a truck of its size. It will still pull more than the tire traction allows or the brakes will stop. Of course, the new 3.4L is much nicer. Why else would I shell out the cash for a new D-cab? You just have to realize the limitations up front.
  • glenn54glenn54 Posts: 23
    I was wondering if any tacoma owners with the RS3000 toyota alarm system are having intermittent problems with the doors not auto unlocking when the alarm is unarmed with the remote.
  • smgillessmgilles Posts: 252
    I have a 2001 4x4 Tacoma that is 6 months old. I noticed when waxing it last night that there are a dozen spots about the size of a pencil eraser where the paint is cracking on the hood and on top of the cab. I went to the dealership and they said it was do to (acid rain, bird droppings, etc.), so it wouldn't be covered under warranty. My color is black so there is no clear coat, anyone else have any ideas or similar problems???? I am going to meet with the rep. but I am sure I will get the same run around. I wash and wax this thing religiously! I live in Iowa, so no acid rain either. If it's bird droppings then every black truck on the lot should have the same problem. Simply frustrating!!!!!! Shane
  • eagle63eagle63 Posts: 599
    "My color is black so there is no clear coat, anyone else have any ideas or similar problems???? "

-hmmm, I'm pretty sure you have a clear coat. -doesn't matter what color your vehicle is. I'd raise heck with the dealership until they fix it. if not, go over their heads.
  • sc0rpi0sc0rpi0 Posts: 897
    Hi all.
    Does anyone know what modifications are needed to be done on XtraCab V6 2WD to bring it to the 4WD height (Basically, I want to try and modify a V6 Xtracab with manual tranny into a V6 Prerunner with manual transmission.
    Or would it not be worth the trouble, and be just easier to buy the 4WD Xtracab?
    Thanks,
    Andy
  • allknowingallknowing Posts: 866
    I haven't heard of anyone having that problem with the alarm system. Better head back top the dealer.
  • Scorpio -
    Don't bother with the mod. Honestly, the aftermarket cost of doing that doesn't make sence when you start to talk about thinks like extending the steering column and tweaking the front suspension.

You'd be better off gettting the 4X4 or Prerunner to begin with and raising those if you desire. The last thing you want to do is buy a brand new truck and FUBAR it up. The 2WD versions do not have the structural rigditity to be a Pre-Runner or 4X4 and it will never be quite "right".

John
  • I read your other post in the Ranger/Tacoma list.

My advice. Seek out the BBB (Better Business Bureau). Don't bother calling them since you'll never get through and if you do they'll never call back.

Go to their website and either use their online form, FAX them at the contact number listed or write to them. You'll have a response from them within 3 days and shortly after that the dealer will be calling you to, "....do whatever it takes to make you happy...".

Man I hate dealers,
    John
  • Thanks for the advice, but I called the customer satisfaction # and they referred me back to the dealer. The dealer called and wanted me to come in again and I said only if the Toy. service rep. would be there. So the guy came up from Kansas City and told them to repaint the whole truck. He warranted it and I take it in 3 weeks. Now I can only hope they don't screw that up. Dealers have to be the biggest parasites out there.
  • Glad to hear they are at least working with you.

Hey, are they giving you a clearcoat? Just kidding.

John
  • I have a 2000 Tacoma 4WD/Xtra cab and I live in Wisconsin. Went to turn on the heat last week and the fan works but no heat. I checked the valve going to the heater core and it is okay.

What function does the heater relay perform in the fuse box under the hood? Anybody got any ideas as to why no heat?

stout@wpr.org

=============================
  • I have a severe water leak in my 2001 Double Cab Tacoma. The water appears to be coming in on the bottom of the rear doors. For some strange reason does this only seem to happen when the car is parked "uphill" in the driveway. Did anybody have similar issues.
  • My truck is a 1998 Tacoma V6 4x4 EX-Cab with the TRD package. At around 33,000 miles, the dealer put in some new bushings in the clutch assembly because it was squeaking/binding (this was done under warranty).

I'm almost at 50,000 miles and the squeaking is worse than ever. This is the only problem I've had with this truck.

Has anybody had this problem and had it fixed? Should I expect the dealer to pick up the tab because this is a recurring problem that was fixed under warranty earlier?

Thanks in advance.

Pluto
  • I have a 2001 Taco,dbcab,4x4,TuRD.

1. Transmission will hesitate when going around a stop sign, when speed is around 2-7 MPH, when step on the gas, the truck will cause a studder. (like if the engine was too rich), this has the same problem as the IS300.
    2. Who is the dumb [non-permissible content removed] who design the location of the clock.
    3. gas mileage is about 14 mpg on the truck in 2WD, is this normal? compare to the 19/17 mph sticker.
  • I have my truck in the ocean with waves crashing from the back of the truck, the water level was at the rear door level and above periodically. no water was inside the cabin, i think this is a door gasket issue, and a warranty issue.

I find the Toyota Mechanics/dealers are not very helpful, their knowledge stops at the diagnostic computer, everything is OK when the computer says its OK.
  • Hum. The heater core is fed by the circulatory system of the water cooling in the engine via the heater core (the mini radiator that the fan blows air over to make the air hot).

Since it doesn't sound like your vehicle is overheating (meaning it doesn't sound like you have a coolant leak) so I would suspect the vent systems ability to route the air over the heater core.

Check the system that routes the air over the core, the control panel knob and the core itself. With the Fan off see if you can hear the system changing the direction of the air flow vent while you turn the heater/cold knob from cold to hot (the key will need to be in the on position but the engine can be off).

You could have a blockage in your heater core but I tend to doubt that since that only happens on older vehicles with rusted water systems.

Check your coolant levels. Is the coolant healthy looking (bright green, redish brown) or fowled (dark brown or with particles in it).

Those few things should point you in the right direction.

John
This discussion has been closed.