Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Tacoma: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• msibillemsibille Posts: 275
    If all that went bad was the fron wheel bearings (i.e. no damage to hubs or spindles) it shouldn't have cost an arm much less a leg. The brg sets purchased directly from a parts house would likely be less than $50 total. (maybe as little as $20)

From your post typos, it's difficult to tell, but if what you're saying is you had 117,000 (117 thousand) miles, then it is likely not a vehicle design issue. Bearings likely were repacked (or neglected) in one or more front brake jobs (where the brgs should be inspected, lubed, etc)

Most common failure is due to bad seals, which should have been replaced w/ the brake job. Bad seals allow grease out and water and contaminants in.

I'd look into who/when the brake work was done.
  • I had a Cressida before and it had the same problem as you have. The fix was to replace the fuel pump. Hope that help.
  • bdog2bdog2 Posts: 1
    I have a 96 Tacoma 2wd 4cylinder auto trans with 240K miles. I bought it a couple years ago with about 180K miles so I don't know the history of repairs. For the past few months it has had a difficult time shifting into overdrive. It seems to be ok when the engin is cool but after a while of driving, for example, if I slow down on the freeway and it down shifts and then I speed back up, it gets stuck and won't go back into overdrive. Sometimes if I pull over and start accelerating again, it will kick into overdrive. It seems to be shifting fine otherwise. Does anybody know what could be wrong? Someone told me to change the ATF. What do you think?
  • MY DASH RATTLES ON MY 2000 TACOMA ON THE PASSENGER CORNER HOW DO I STOP IT
  • Some nut case (lightly) spray painted (gray on my black 2003 tacoma). anyone have an recommendations on how to remove without ruining the finish? or how to find someone to do the work? thanks!
  • joe_jjoe_j Posts: 1
    Is there any way to have my 2006 Tacoma make a beep or a noise when I lock or unlock using the keyless entry feature?
  • At 65,000 or so it is time to replace the frnt brake pads on my 2003 tacoma 2wd p/u. This is the first vehicle that I've owned with ABS, and I was wanting to know if the process is any differnt. I've done this many times on older cars and trucks....and just pressed the caliper piston back into the caliper, forcing the brake fluid back up the system to the master cylinder. I don't want to destroy any high dollar ABS parts. so........ What can you tell me?
  • Any competent detailer should be able to buff it off. If you hurry, a petroleum based wax will probably dissolve the paint. The longer you wait, the harder it'll be to get off!
  • Billbeau, What exactly do you mean by axlewrap? Can you explain in laymen's terms what it is and why it causes the bumping?

I have noticed that if I put the automatic transmission into neutral before I stop at a light, I get no bump. Does that imply it's a transmission problem, or could this axlewrap still be the issue?

Any help is appreciated. Morgan 5
  • I have a 2006 Tacoma 4 cyl. 5 speed 2 WD that idles at 2500 as soon as I turn the key on and stays there for about 20 seconds, also between 4th & 5th gear with the clutch depressed the rpm goes to 3000 then drops back to 1500 after I shift. The dealership is telling me this is normal. I find that hard to believe. Any ideas?
  • "I have a 2006 Tacoma 4 cyl. 5 speed 2 WD that idles at 2500 as soon as I turn the key on and stays there for about 20 seconds, "

Many new vehicles of many brands do this. My '05 V6 Toyota, and my neighbor's '05 Hemi Ram have similar startup behavior. The Ram sounds like an F16 when he starts it.

It's something to do with emissions. AFAIK, The goal is to warm up the engine faster.

The delay between shifts is a little strange. I'd give it a few miles into break-in and see if it self corrects.
  • I have a 2005 double cab with an expensive ARE cap on it. It leaks around the tail gate where there is a gap you can put your fingers through around the tail gate locks. Toyota says thats normal?? I am fixing it myself using some weather stripping around inside of the tailgate. Who builds a truck with such huge gaps visible from inside the bed that lets water into the bed of the truck?? Its almost like they left it so water can run out in addition to running in! :mad: :confuse: :surprise:
  • I LOVE my 05 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Off Road Pkg. But lately it is making a clicking noise when it is running. My dealer says maybe it is the fuel line? Not sure how that would be true. It doesn't do it all the time, and I know it's not serious, just annoying. Anyone with the same?
  • ustazzafustazzaf Posts: 311
    I have worked on brakes for the last 20 years. I can't speak for the Tacoma specifically, having never done one, but the ABS is normally attached to the hub assembly. You shouldn't even touch anything even if you remove the rotor to have it turned (not recommended unless you had pulse problems). I would be gentle pushing the piston in though. I never blown a master pushing in a piston, but it could be expensive if you did. But as I said, I never blew one, so if you use reasonable restraint, you will have no problem. One more thing: Make sure that if you remove hardware (clips, backing plates, etc..) you reinstall them or install new ones. They are there for a reason.
  • On a sunny day with the sun to your rear you can look and see the gaps. I was rather taken aback with this as I have owned two other Toyotas and never saw daylight around the tailgate. And I wondered about you guys who put tops on. But I have yet to read anything about this leaking. Does the weather stripping work when you close the gate?

B
  • I have the dubious distinction of having the only 05 Tacoma in entire world with an intrusion alarm that goes off erratically at any time of day when it is set. This is a fact according to Toyota. I have had this problem since March 05 when I picked up my truck. The dealer has taken extraordinary measures to fix it: replaced the computer; replaced each of the four door lock mechanism; tested it; returned to me on three different occasions as this work progressed through those stages and it still goes off.

And the funniest part? I was at the starting line of a 10K race on a Saturday morning in August and the truck--parked 100 feet from the starting line--went off! The announcer who was trying to announce the race on the PA stated that someone's truck was "whining for daddy." I didn't move. I had a race to run and I wasn't about to tend to this problem then. The REAL kicker is that the salesman who sold me the truck was in that race too. Everyone saw my TACO with lights flashing and horn blaring. He commented to a friend of mine: "We are going to have to fix that damned thing!"

So now I had a witness. Anyway, this is December and Toyota has finally decided to cut the mustard and install a whole new alarm system and totally disable the one in there now. I should have that work done this week. The service manager has been in a full-court press on Toyota for 6 months as they kept ignoring him by telling him that they have never had this problem before. He persisted by telling them that they weren't helping him any by their inaction and cheap comments. I have to say that I am quite happy with my dealer as they have struggled with the company to do something about this.

B
  • pecaspecas Posts: 9
    My used tacoma pre-runner 2.7 4cyl. just died in stop and go traffic. It would turn over great (new battery) but would not start. after 10 minutes I finally got it started and took it to the nearest shop. They checked it out for two days and could find no problem at all. The ECM printed no codes and I've been driving with no problems at all for two days. This is driving me nuts. Anyone had this type of problem?
  • pecaspecas Posts: 9
    I had the same problem on my 2000 pre-runner. I pried the padded dash up a little where it meets the windshield and slipped a small piece of foam rubber underneath and let it back down.This fixed that problem. I still have some noise on the passenger side when I hit a bump, that I have not located. The Engine control module is located behind the glove box and may not be sucured as it should. I bought my truck used and its had a fairly hard life.
  • ustazzafustazzaf Posts: 311
    I would say that Toyota's alarm system is not one of their best efforts. Mine has only went off once that I know of when no one was around in the 3 months I have had it. My 02 Tundra alarm would arm and disarm without having a clicker within a half mile. But, everything has a few flaws. Still love my Toyotas.
  • dilemma, i'm here in a small Mexican Town and do not have access to a diagnostic computer or Toyota Dealership.
    My 2002 Tacoma PreRunner D Cab 69950 (yes) Miles has started acting bad. The check engine light is on (though sometimes only flashing) and the truck sounds like it wants to explode at 50mph (coughing and poor handling, shaking). My suspicion is Fuel Pump, but I'm no genius, so I'm seeking any reccomendations that I can relay (in very bad Spanish) to a mechanic here, if anyone can help, Please!!!
This discussion has been closed.