Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Tacoma: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• pb2themaxpb2themax Posts: 471
    It seems weird, but I do think that the 4cyl has more oil capacity than the V6. But I have heard that some engines seem to require less than the listed number of quarts. The V6 is supposed to hold 5.5, but sometimes 5 quarts fills it up, including the oil filter. You should go with whatever the dipstick says.

Here is some info for a 4cyl '05/'06 Tacoma.

This info is via Amsoil.

2006 TOYOTA TACOMA 2.7L 4-cyl VIN Code 2TR-FE

BOSCH SPARK PLUGS
    All submodels

Plug......NA

LUBRICANTS & FLUIDS
    Engine Oil
    No recommendations
    All Temps......5W-30
    Manual Transmission,.....GL-4
    All temps......75W-90
    Synthetic Manual Transmission and Transaxle Gear Lube 75W-90
    Manual Transmission,.....GL-5
    All temps......75W-90
    Severe Gear 75W-90
    SAE 75W-90 Synthetic Gear Lube
    Automatic Transmission,5-Spd.....WS
    Automatic Transmission,4-Spd.....TIV
    Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid
    Differential, Front .....GL-5
    75W-90
    Severe Gear 75W-90
    Differential, Rear .....GL-5
    Above -18°C......90
    Severe Gear 75W-90
    SAE 80W-90 Synthetic Gear Lube
    Transfer Case,.....GL-4
    75W-90
    Transfer Case,.....GL-5
    75W-90
    Severe Gear 75W-90
    Fluids
    Power Steering Fluid.....AF3
    Torque-Drive™ Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATD)
    Brake Fluid.....HB
    Clutch Fluid.....HB

CHASSIS LUBRICATION
    Two-wheel drive
    0 Fittings, 0 Plugs
    Four-wheel drive
    8 Fittings, 0 Plugs..........LM
    Series 2000 Synthetic Racing Grease
    Synthetic GHD Heavy-Duty EP Grease
    Synthetic Multi-Purpose Grease NLGI #2

CAPACITIES
    Engine, with filter..........6.1 quarts[1]
    Cooling System, W/ MT Initial Fill..........9.2 quarts
    Cooling System, W/ AT Initial Fill..........9.1 quarts
    Automatic Transmission, Total Fill
    A340E..........13.0 quarts
    A750E..........12.0 quarts
    A750F..........12.0 quarts
    Manual Transmission, 2WD..........5.5 pints
    Manual Transmission, 4WD..........4.6 pints
    Differential, Front..........3.2 pints
    Differential, 2WD EX Prerunner Rear..........7.0 pints
    Differential, 4WD & Prerunner Rear..........5.9 pints
    Transfer Case,STD..........2.1 pints

1. After refill check oil level

TORQUES
    Oil Drain Plug.....28 ft-lbs
    Manual Transmission
    Fill Plug.....27 ft-lbs
    Drain Plug.....27 ft-lbs

SERVICE INTERVAL
    AMSOIL Product Recommendation and Drain Interval Guide (g1490)
  • pb2themaxpb2themax Posts: 471
    This is for a V6

2006 TOYOTA TACOMA 4.0L 6-cyl VIN Code 1GR-FE

BOSCH SPARK PLUGS
    All submodels

Plug......NA

FILTERS
    Oil Filter......EaO57/SDF57
    Air Filter......46888
    Fuel Filter......NS
    Trans......NA
    Trans......NR

LUBRICANTS & FLUIDS
    Engine Oil
    Grade 1......API*
    Series 2000 Synthetic 0W-30 Motor Oil
    SAE 5W-30 Synthetic Motor Oil
    SAE 5W-30 XL Synthetic Motor Oil
    All Temps......5W-30
    Manual Transmission,.....GL-4
    All temps......75W-90
    Manual Transmission,.....GL-5
    All temps......75W-90
    Severe Gear 75W-90
    Automatic Transmission,5-Spd.....WS
    Automatic Transmission,4-Spd.....TIV
    Differential, Front .....GL-5
    75W-90
    Severe Gear 75W-90
    Differential, Rear .....GL-5
    Above -18°C......90
    Severe Gear 75W-90
    SAE 80W-90 Synthetic Gear Lube
    Transfer Case,.....GL-4
    75W-90
    Transfer Case,.....GL-5
    75W-90
    Severe Gear 75W-90
    Fluids
    Power Steering Fluid.....AF3
    Torque-Drive™ Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATD)
    Brake Fluid.....HB
    Clutch Fluid.....HB

CHASSIS LUBRICATION
    Two-wheel drive
    0 Fittings, 0 Plugs
    Four-wheel drive
    8 Fittings, 0 Plugs..........LM
    Series 2000 Synthetic Racing Grease
    Synthetic GHD Heavy-Duty EP Grease
    Synthetic Multi-Purpose Grease NLGI #2

CAPACITIES
    Engine, 2WDwith filter..........4.8 quarts[1]
    Engine, 4WDwith filter..........5.5 quarts[2]
    Cooling System, W/ MT Initial Fill..........10.0 quarts
    Cooling System, W/ AT Initial Fill..........10.0 quarts
    Automatic Transmission, Total Fill
    A340E..........13.0 quarts
    A750E..........12.0 quarts
    A750F..........12.0 quarts
    Manual Transmission, ..........3.8 pints
    Differential, Front..........3.2 pints
    Differential, 2WD EX Prerunner Rear..........7.0 pints
    Differential, 4WD & Prerunner Rear..........5.9 pints
    Transfer Case,STD..........2.1 pints

1. Except PreRunner
    2. PreRunner & 4WD

TORQUES
    Oil Drain Plug.....30 ft-lbs
    Manual Transmission
    Fill Plug.....27 ft-lbs
    Drain Plug.....27 ft-lbs

SERVICE INTERVAL
    AMSOIL Product Recommendation and Drain Interval Guide (g1490)
  • i noticed on my drive out to salt lake city from albany new york that by gas milage was 16 mpg. when i got to wyoming i had to downshift on level terrain to maintain 70 mph. finally when i got to utah and have driven up and down the canyon a few times i have noticed that my front discs are extremely hot after the drive up the canyon...its about 10 miles and the brakes are never used. the truck seems unusually slugish, but only on the drive up or after i have been driving it for a while. after it has been sitting for a day or two the peppy feel comes back but returns once the engine gets hot. my mechanic at home and a guy here says i need new calipers because they are locking up, but it seems that if they were to lock up, they would stay locked up instead of returning to a normal feel. could the problem lie in the master cylinder or the check valve? i have touched the rear drums to see if they are warm and they are not. any suggestions as to what the problem is would be great. im hessitant to buy new calipers because i spent 400 on new plugs, motor vac, drive train lube and a bunch of other stuff to get the mileage up before my trip only to find that that was not the cause of the terrible mileage.
    thanks for the help
    Bob
  • sugarman1sugarman1 Posts: 92
    i find it very hard to call any toyota truck a turd especially after i owned a 1983and 1995 4x4s which were like trucks on steriods,but 02-04 tacomas that dont start on a regular basis would fit that bill,what gets me is i invested in the truck 25 grand,hard tonneau 1grand,husky floor mats 75bucks,custom seat covers 150bucks,trd air filter w/cleaning kit 80bucks,synthetic oil changes mobil 1,amsoil severe gear 75w90 in the axles and transfer,replaced the t-IV in the tranny,detailed the sheet out of the exterior with top grade products only to be defeated by an stinkin little intermittent starting problem that nobody can trace :cry: And will have to pony up a few more thousands for a hopefully well running 05-06 taco of the same xtra cab trd style,sometimes life sucks but i always thought that i could rely on my Toyota truck to never let me down well maybe because its an 2004. :sick:
  • I've got a 2001 Tacoma 4WD, Automatic. I'm getting a growling noise only over 55 & under 70 mph. I took it to a local shop & they couldn't find the problem. It does have all terain tires. Any ideas?
    dear fitz you'll have to give us experts a little more input to your growling problem other than off road tires,such as have you been greasing that rear axle u joint and checking the rear differential fluid during routine maintainence? More than likely it is the aggressive offroad treads that give alot of highway noise. but sometimes when you use exxon gas its like putting a tiger in your tank :) ;) :surprise:
  • ustazzafustazzaf Posts: 311
    i noticed on my drive out to salt lake city from albany new york that by gas milage was 16 mpg. when i got to wyoming i had to downshift on level terrain to maintain 70 mph. finally when i got to utah and have driven up and down the canyon a few times i have noticed that my front discs are extremely hot after the drive up the canyon...its about 10 miles and the brakes are never used. the truck seems unusually slugish, but only on the drive up or after i have been driving it for a while. after it has been sitting for a day or two the peppy feel comes back but returns once the engine gets hot. my mechanic at home and a guy here says i need new calipers because they are locking up, but it seems that if they were to lock up, they would stay locked up instead of returning to a normal feel. could the problem lie in the master cylinder or the check valve? i have touched the rear drums to see if they are warm and they are not. any suggestions as to what the problem is would be great. im hessitant to buy new calipers because i spent 400 on new plugs, motor vac, drive train lube and a bunch of other stuff to get the mileage up before my trip only to find that that was not the cause of the terrible mileage.
    thanks for the help

First of all, no matter weather you use your brakes or not, the rotors are going to be hot because the pads ride against the rotor because of design. There is not necessarily pressure against the rotor. Now, you mentioned lack of power in Wyoming and Utah, especially the hills in Utah. I would guess that the sensor that adjusts fuel/air mixture is belly up. Both Wyoming and the mountains around SLC have high altitude areas.
  • pecaspecas Posts: 9
    Sounds to me like you need to change mechanics. The dealer should be the guru of tacos, but sadly, in many cases its just not the case.
  • jpr_71jpr_71 Posts: 10
    Has anyone had any problems with Indigo Blue paint chipping? I just noticed quite a few chips in the clearcoat directly in front of the rear wheel wells. My truck is only 8 months old with 8,000 miles and has been driven on paved roads 99% of the time. This damage shouldn't exist this early in it's life...I hope my dealer corrects this problem!!!
    these gurus at the dealership i bought the truck at had to contact the head swami in california to get an answer to my problem which is second service bulletin for a gas tank extension which wont work either based on the fact that others have gone through this, intermittent 03-04 taco,with no answer to the problem after 2 service bulletins were performed to address the problem. :confuse: these guys are strictly by the book,if the manual says replace this part they replace it with out thinking of the input that i give them and what is happening when the truck is in my hands. its hard to find old school type mechanics who are hands on checking voltage,making sure of the ground wires,tracking down the problem in an orderly step by step fashion till eventually the problem is right in thier faces. :surprise:
  • g8trh8trg8trh8tr Posts: 1
    Does anyone know where I can get instructions on how to program a key fob for a 2005 Tacoma? I am looking to buy a used fob off of Ebay so I don't have to pay the outrageous price the dealership is asking but I need to figure out how to program it or it is useless. I went to the dealer and they want $115 dollars for a new programmed key fob. Any input is appreciated.
  • Does anyone know which brand of tonneau cover allows you to use the rail system in the bed.My friend just installed a Truxedo on his,but basically has lost use of his system now.I saw some great prices on the internet compared to what my local Tuck shop has to offer.
  • it is not the fuel mixture. when i was driving down to salt lake city from evanston at 3am i had to downshift to maintain 70mph. this section of I80 is a steep downhill grade and i put it in neutral and the truck slowed to 15mph b4 traffic caught up to me.....any other ideas?
  • Same problem with my 2005 Tacoma DB Cab. They changed door seal, windshield rubber seal where wipers are located. Finally fixed by removing windshield and completely replacing seal around the windshield. Been quiet for 3 months and counting.
    ive posted a couple messages about my tacos extended cranking to turn over engine and had tsb EG-042-04 for upgrade neg. battery terminal done and the truck got worse than ever with bad starts and engine not turning over correctly,just picked up truck from dealer for tsb EG052-04 R&R suction tube assembly which is an extension into the fuel tank and have immediately noticed a stronger engine crank and positive start for the first time since ive owned truck :) i was predicting the worse because ive read in other toyota websites people whom had both tsb's done and still werent satisfied and traded in thier trucks for others. But i say to you again ive have immediately noticed a much stronger crank with smoother turnover,not the weak uncertain extended crank it once had,i will be watching the truck like a hawk and if i notice any stumbles in starting or if it reverts to it old ways i will post. i hope this is the last of the starting problems and am keeping fingers crossed because i thought i would get rid of the truck and take my lumps because i didnt want to have a truck acting like this. hope this helps all 03-04 owners who are dealing with this problem and dont like it all :blush:
  • lesj1lesj1 Posts: 1
    I just bought a '06 Tacoma and cannot find any repair or maintenance manuals for it. What, if any, are people using if one is a DIYer? Helm inc, Clymer etc. doesn't even have one listed. Is the dealer going to get my maintence work. :confuse:
  • aelliottaelliott Posts: 1
    I had the same thing on my '05 tacoma. The noise was coming from the exact spot you were talking about. I took it to the dealer twice, and on the second time a solution arose. While it was in the shop Toyota put out a TSB concerning the noise. It actually IS coming from the bumper to frame mounts. All you have to do is call the dealer, let them know you are having the problem, they will order the parts (3-4 days), and it only takes about 2 hours to fix. Mine goes back next week for the new parts install. Hope this helps. Good Luck!
  • I have a 2005 Toyota Tacoma and it is getting horrible gas mileage. The sticker said 22 MPG Highway I can only get 17 if I am lucky. This is a new truck I just bought last year I cant figure out the problem. Anybody having the same problems? Please write back. Thanks
  • ustazzafustazzaf Posts: 311
    If your brakes are causing it to do that kind of drastic braking, the rotors would be glowing and smoke would be rolling off. Also that kind of heat will boil off the grease in the front wheel bearings. You are headed for a major problem very soon if it is the brakes. It would have to be the calipers on both sides sticking or you would have a massive pull. I would say to pull off of an exit if possible and jack one tire at a time to see if there is resistance.
  • juffajuffa Posts: 2
    In December I purchased an Access Roll-up Cover by Argi-cover, inc. I purchased it thru realtruck.com and it is an excellent cover for my '05 Double Cab w/ 6' bed. I can use the factory rail system and I love it, it even has adjustable tensioners to keep the cover nice and tight. A great way to go!
This discussion has been closed.