Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Tacoma: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• rocklarockla Posts: 12
    I got a 06 taco, four doors sr5 automatic 32000km on it. I have been toping up the power steering fluid ever seance I got the truck. Went to the dealer and they did not see any problem whit it then.
    I was driving it last week and got a massive oil leak from one of the seals of the rack and pinion got it towed to the dealer and they replaced it on warranty told me it was a first time they saw that. Ever noticed that the original power steering fluid from factory is not dextron III . It’s a clear oil.
  • rocklarockla Posts: 12
    Any body know how do I check my auto transmition oil level??
    Dont see any dipstick on my 06 v6. can anybody help me?
  • woofwoof Posts: 27
    I'm wondering how many have noticed the poor shift patterns of the 05-06 Tacoma's auto transmissions? Issues: hunting for gears, downshifts when going downhill, slow to downshift when more power is needed, many unnecessary shifts, "shudder", rought shifts, etc. These issues have been documented on tundrasolutions.com. Many have reported to Toyota and have requested new software and assitance to fix. BTW, if you drive mostly on level roads, you probably won't experience this.
  • You obviously had a steering rack end seal leaking inside the bellows boot,so nobody could "see" the leak, untill it became so bad it blew out.My '99 taco x-cab (88,000 miles now) never had to have a drop of p-s fluid added so far, what happened to toyota quality? got me.Lucky yours "failed" before it was out of warranty.(if it "had" to fail that is)
  • What some folks don't realize is that when a valve face and seat wears, the rocker arm to valve stem clearance can be reduced, eventually resulting in the valve not sealing tight enough when closed, which will result in valve burning due to the torch-like effect of the heat of combustion leaking past it. I have heard of 2.7L taco engines making it way past 150-k with no valve adjustments, but it is risky going that long without having valve clearance (non hydraulic lifter type)checked, and adjusted if needed.
  • tokyojoetokyojoe Posts: 13
    I had a similar problem with the power steering system on my 06 Taco SR5(2.7,access cab,4AT)at 2000 miles only 2 months after the purchase. Originally I noticed the oil level in the power steering reservoir was low and put some ATF(dexron III-red stuff). I kept putting for about 2qts, then power steering went out but there was no leak. But I realized the two rubber boots connected to each end of power steering unit at the bottom were both swollen up. They were holding the 2qts as well as the original oil. Local Toyota dealer kept my Taco for 2 days and replaced the whole unit under warranty. Yes, I noticed that the original oil in the reservoir was a clear one but the oil the dealer put was the same red stuff that I had.
  • jfigueroa1jfigueroa1 Posts: 209
    Good Day,
    I work on marine engines and for what I had seen,
    for the out board engine steering some people will use regular red hydra/ different
    red= a few $$ a quart
    clear seastar hydra= 20.00 a quart.
    maybe factory invest a lil more on high end oils thinking the part will not fail, and oil will be good for many years.
    dealers need to save $$.
  • jmueseljmuesel Posts: 2
    I had a similar problem. At first I thought it was the fuel pump cutting out or just out right failing. However, before I tried replacing the $200 fuel pump, I tried replacing the fuel-injector relay. What happened is when the vehicle would heat up, a crack in the relay would expand causing a short in the relay, in turn shutting off the fuel injectors. Also, on the hot days when the truck would sit in the sun, the relay would again heat up and the relay would short out. I replaced the fuel injector relay for something like $60 and the truck has run ever since. My relay was located, I believe, under the steering column in the cab right underneath the dashboard. You might want to check that location from Chilton's Manual or another automotive technology book.

Best of luck to you.
  • jmueseljmuesel Posts: 2
    I had a similar problem. At first I thought it was the fuel pump cutting out or just out right failing. However, before I tried replacing the $200 fuel pump, I tried replacing the fuel-injector relay. What happened is when the vehicle would heat up, a crack in the relay would expand causing a short in the relay, in turn shutting off the fuel injectors. Also, on the hot days when the truck would sit in the sun, the crack in the relay would again heat up and the relay would short out. Once the vehicle cooled off, the crack would shrink and the relay would work again. I replaced the fuel injector relay for something like $60 and the truck has run ever since. My relay was located, I believe, under the steering column in the cab right underneath the dashboard. You might want to check that location from Chilton's Manual or another automotive technology book.

Best of luck to you.
  • seranikoseraniko Posts: 27
    are they self cancelling on 06 taco?
  • dustinmdustinm Posts: 1
    I just bought a 06, and I want to mount my old tool box from my 90's taco into my new one, the only problem is the bed is plastic. Does anyone have any ideas on where to find the slide rail mounts for tool boxes?
  • nmtaconmtaco Posts: 4
    I have a 2005 Tacoma Regular cab 2.7/automatic and it stalled on me in the intersection today for the first time. I have less than 14k miles on it. It has never done that before and is currently at Toyota now. I got it started only to keep stalling out on me, I pulled to a Valvoline for them to look at (just in case it was something minor, like the battery cable, etc.) but had to get a tow truck. Good thing too because I'm 9 months pregnant and can go into labor any minute! I am hoping that they will fix the problem, or else I can never trust the vehicle again! "Go toyota", should be more like "Go Walking"...If you can think of anything else that it could be (it was only 85 degrees today) I would appreciate it!
  • nmtaconmtaco Posts: 4
    I got a call from Toyota today, they have to replace my entire fuse box. They were very surprised because they have never seen this needed for a new truck with so few miles...Anyway, at least they found out the problem and will fix it...Has anyone else experienced such a problem on their new Toyota??
  • farmer3farmer3 Posts: 21
    I have an '02 tacoma 4-door 4wheel drive that has been leaking water. When you turn, it spills over either into the driver or passenger floorboard (the water is freezing cold and it sizzles. It like sloshes around when you turn and seems to "spill" out in the floorboard). We had an exceptionally hot summer, although I did not drive the vehicle much. Anyone know what the cause might be?
  • any luck finding a toyota manual ? The starter or selonoid seems to have gone bad in mine, I tried to pull out the started but you cant unless you drop the tranny or brake lines. I have 96 tacoma, 2.4 4x4 a dealer told me it is uusally the connetions on the inside but i can pull it out to work it.
  • seranikoseraniko Posts: 27
    check the drain tube from the a/c evaporator...might be disconnected, should discharged outside the cab.
  • I have a 2006 Tacoma 4.0 AUTO TRD Off Road 4door short bed. When I leave a stop the vehicle shakes or shudders. This happens from about 3 to 10 mph. The factory suggested replacing the drive line but that did not work. Has anyone cured this or had the problem? Thanks mfrancko
  • farmer3farmer3 Posts: 21
    Thanks Farmer3. Used a coat hanger the first couple of times. Stick it in the drain hole from the engine and the water just pours out (I could feel something a little weird w/ the coat hanger like something was opening up? Thought that did it, but several days later it filled up again, and again. This time I took the rubber drain thing off --geez that thing is rather big --how could it get clogged??? I could find nothing. Removing the plastic pan that originally hold the water before it goes through the rubber tube, looked very complicated to remove and more than I wanted to get involved in (aka --eff it up!). Could it have been some air bubble, or something. I stuck the hanger in the plastic part (w/ a hook) but of course I could feel nothing or remove nothing. This is weird. We'll see...?

T
  • On my 06 I couldn't find any screws.Do you know how to remove an 06?
This discussion has been closed.