Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

30,000 mile scheduled maintenance

2»

Comments

• podpod Posts: 176
    edited September 2010
    Many cars have a screen filter "in the tank" to catch any large particles. Most "fuel filters" are outside the tank as the principal filter against small particulates. In my last car I decided to change it at 140K miles just to learn how to do it. The Mercury Sable had no symptoms and changing the filter (which was black and sooty) made no difference since there were no power issues at full throttle. Toyota has done away with scheduled fuel filter changes on the new models and regard it as a lifetime part. I think the gas supply is much cleaner these days than in olden times and it is likely that any interval shorter than 50K is unnecessary. The symptom of a clogged filter is stuttering power on heavy throttle applications. It is an easy part to replace and usually located along the passenger-side rail about a third of the way to the engine compartment. They are inexpensive and easily replaced in about twenty minutes so no economic or engine harm from changing it as frequently as you wish. Barring a load of bad fuel it probably is not a necessary routine maintenance item. Some sites recommend more frequent replacement if the car is used in dusty, dirty environment but I can't understand how that would affect the fuel filter. Air filter certainly but dust doesn't get into the fuel supply so I don't understand this recommendation.
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Posts: 3,855
    I don't think they are easy or cheap to replace when they are part of the fuel pump, such as the design Ford has apparently used.

The last time I replaced a fuel filter was on a 12-13 year old Windstar. The reason for replacing it was that the metal housing had corroded and gas was leaking out as a result.
  • akirbyakirby Posts: 7,622
    That's a good reason to replace it......
2»