Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Tahoe Door Lock Problem

Comments

• dezbdezb Posts: 14
    Well, it is official...my Tahoe is a lemon. I purchased it new in 2008 and have had nothing but problems. Very frustrating. We have owned both Chevy and GMC trucks with no issues. I will never buy a Tahoe again, and now thinking that perhaps Chevy does not make them like they used to and time to try a different maker. The first 2 years my car was in the dealership more times than i can count. It had to do w/ an Onstar module that was going out and kept leaving me stranded. It only took them 12 or so visits to figure it out. Then I had some major interior cosmetic issues, the rear AC, and now my door locks! I just called the dealer and left a message to make another appt. They ARE replacing the door locks, because I am not playing the game again. My warranty will be expiring soon. I am going to be contacting the Consumer Protection Agency, 20/20, MSNBC, and the local news. I think this would make a great story. I suggest that others follow suit. If you are having trouble getting your vehicles properly fixed, you need to act.
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Posts: 1,964
    dezb,

I'm glad to hear that your dealership will be taking care of the door locks for you! Please keep us updated on how the repair goes, and if we can be of any assistance let us know.

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • ac2011ac2011 Posts: 1
    After months of issues with our 2008 Tahoe, our car lost power this morning and nearly ran us off the road. We are just thankful our 2 year old had already been dropped off at daycare. It started with the car going dead time after time again, and has now gotten to the point of the car losing power while the car is in motion. We have taken our car to 2 dealerships, both of which are lacking either the knowlege or interest in accurately diagnosing the problem. Three weeks ago we paid $800 to replace an electrical component that was supposed to correct the problem, and surprise surprise the problem has gotten even worse. We don't know day to day when (as it is no longer "if") we are going to get stranded. Now that this has become a safety concern we are to the point of seriously considering litigation. My husband has been in contact with a gentleman at the Chevy Corporate office, who has tried to be helpful, but now that our safety is at risk we need more than helpful advice. We need someone to take ownership of helping us identify the problem. The car is out of warranty, so playing the "guessing game" is not an option for us. We need a competent, knowledgeable repair team to diagnose the problem so we can get this fixed.
    ac2011,
    Do you already have a case number (71-**********) from your interactions with Chevrolet? If not, we're able to set up a Service Request for you as well.
    Please get in touch via email: socialmedia@gm.com

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • tripltripl Posts: 3
    I'm sorry to say that I took my car to power Chevrolet today superstition springs ,Mesa Az as requested by gm social media to diagnose my 3 door lock actuators not working. The parts cost 75$ and they refused to fix them without charging my 750$. I have personally purchased 2 brand new chevys from this dealership in the last 4 years and Chevrolet , Gmac, GM would just not do what's right for their customers. How many more parts must fail before power chevrolet superstition springs and Chevrolet make it right for their customers?
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,081
    tripl,
    I apologize for your frustrations. Can you please send me an email with your VIN? I would like to look into this.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • ralph1172ralph1172 Posts: 3
    I can't believe all the posts I've read. I too have had 3 of my door locks fail and that is only the tip of the iceberg. The trim piece around my drivers window pulls out everytime I roll up my window. My dash board is literally crumbling. I thought it was a crack until further inspection and it's like the plastic or whatever the dash is made of is crumbling. I can't believe how cheaply made my Tahoe hybrid is. I have been a Chevy owner for several years now and this will probably be my last. $50,000 + for a lemon is bad business. Funny thing is, all but one of the door locks happened after my warranty expired. Chevy you need to issue several recalls on the 2008 Chevy Tahoes and probably other years too. We, The Taxpayers, bailed you out and now you stick it to us. Thanks
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,081
    ralph1172,
    Thank you for taking the time to post your concerns. Can you please email me directly at SocialMedia@GM.com with your VIN, current mileage, dealer of choice, and contact information? I look forward to your response.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • melcar79melcar79 Posts: 1
    I have been reading people having the same problems with this. I am too having these problems, doors not locking or unlocking, heat blowing when the a/c is on, the list goes on. I was wondering if you have gotten anyware with GM or with the CPA. I bought the car last year in an attempt to get my 6 kids a seat 5 of which are toddlers and now the door locks don't work.. Very frustrating. I taking your advice and going to contact the CPA.
  • vincesegvinceseg Posts: 9
    edited May 2012
    I got a 2005 Tahoe with low miles thinking what a great deal I was getting. Already over 2K in repairs with < 500 miles on it. Would be more like 3500 if it wasn't for the warranty I got.

So both rear door actuators happen to go bad at the same time but they claim it's not an electrical issue, and they aren't covered. To the tune of $900 getting the parts at cost.

I will never buy Chevy again (told myself that last time) and will make sure I tell friends the same.

What a joke it's obvious this part should be recalled and covered for all the people with the issue on all years.

Good old american quality. :(

Hopefully there will be a class action lawsuit forthcoming since GM obviously won't address this obvious design flaw/issue.
  • I found this forum doing a search on our 2009 Tahoe LT after we began to experience several problems all at once! It just blows me away that there are so many noted problems i.e. door locks, battery issues, AC blowing hot air and more... And Chevy has yet to do any recalls when it's obvious that there are faulty issues in the vehicles they are manufacturing! This is absolutely insane that an automobile that is only 3 years old 65,000 miles has a battery that continues to go dead without any warning for no reason (single mom with 2 kids under age 7 dead battery on 5 different occasions since October 2011)but yet battery is ok, 2 out of 4 doors lock but will not unlock, and the A/C blows hot air randomly! And the dealerships want to charge for everything but the true fix!
    Good morning ndavidson74,

If you haven't gotten in touch with us already by email (socialmedia@gm.com), please send us the following information as we would be happy to look further into this with you:
    Your name/Edmunds username
    Phone and address
    The last 8 of your VIN and current mileage
    The name of your preferred dealership

Kind regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • luckie19luckie19 Posts: 3
    Hmmm I had the expect same prob. A/c would blow hot air and i would mess with the temp knob till it kicked back on but it stopped doing that. My battery died the same time yours did in Oct. 2011 with only 36,000 miles on my 08. So I sucked it up and bought a new one. Know a third door is giving me the locking issue. But GM cust serv set me up with my dealership to get this fixed at no charge. Just waiting to take it in. I hope they also replace the 4th door lock before this happens again.
  • ferfridayferfriday Posts: 6
    I am sooo glad to know I am not alone... I love the ride and look of my Tahoe but I will probable never buy another Chevrolet product. Ever. It was under warranty when my door locks on the driver side and back driver side quit working. Had to crawl over with my baby at daycare to get out bc the door handle wouldn't work. Took it to the Chevy place they looked at it bc it worked when I got there. Charged me over $100 told me to bring it back if it messed up again and they wouldn't charge that fee but found nothing wrong with it. So when it did I took it back, was told it was an Actuator and it would be $500 to fix it bc my warranty had expired, even though it started bf my warranty was up. My dash is cracked in two places. My drivers side vanity mirror has been replaced once and is cracked again. I have had my tahoe sign on the front replaced twice and the gold is still peeling out of the inside. My steering wheel is peeling and the airconditioner buttons are losing all of their color as are the chevy signs on the rims. Worst of all, I was about to trade it off and as i was driving home last week it starting flashing "stabila track off" and "traction control off" and making an awful noise. I pull over and it is coming from the motor. Took it to my mechanic and he said is the lifter, camshaft and who knows what else. He said it was a major issue with the Tahoes so he calls the local Chevy place to check for a recall and they inform him that Chevrolet is well aware of the problem but would not be issuing a recall because it is not a safety issue!!!! I strongly consider me and my 5 year old being stuck on the side of the road a safety issue. He also informed me that they have 2 electrical recalls on my truck that I wasn't even notified about!!!! It infuriates me to pay that much for something and it not even hold up or be backed up by the company that made it. Its ridiculous and they have lost my business. I have owned a Mustang, a trailblazer and a Tahoe. I loved my car and had zero problems with it...wish I could say the same for the other 2. :mad:
    ferfriday,

I'm sorry that you have had so many difficulties with your Tahoe; if we can look into this further with you, please send the following information to socialmedai@gm.com: your name/Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your involved dealership.

Again, I am sorry that there have been so many concerns on your Tahoe. We look forward to hearing from you!
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    I sent an email with all of the information.
    erfriday,

Great! We will be back with you soon. I just was re-reading my post and see that I typed out our email address incorrectly. It should read socialmedia@gm.com

I apologize if there was any confusion on this!
    Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    The service dept a Freeway chevrolet has not returned my calls. I have left a few messages for Raul. I will be calling again today. Since I had taken it back so many times for different issues, I think they are avoiding me. I will be asking for the service manager today.
    dezb,

If we can be of any assistance as you seek to get your door locks taken care of you, please send the following information to socialmedia@gm.com: your name/Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 digits of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your involved dealership. My coworker Christina, who answers inbound emails from Edmunds, will assist you further.

All the best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    You may want to have the dealer check the Onstar module. I also had issues with my tahoe not starting and the dealer kept insisting it was the battery. They replaced it, but still was getting stranded. After several trips to the dealer (at least 12), it was FINALLY diagnosed as the Onstar module Once they replaced it, the issue stopped. When it comes to warranty work, I have found that the dealers will try the least expensive solutions first. I have a feeling that they knew what it was all along. Unfortunately, they wasted much of my time and gas.

I am just really disheartened with Chevrolet. They used to be such a great company. I am all for buying American, but can now understand why people go to foreign makers. If Chevy would just recall the known issues and get it overwith. They should realize by now that saving money by not recalling and fixing the known issues is costing them return customers. I have a 2000 GMC truck that I love, it is a tank. BUT, I will never by a new Chevy product again until they make things right. I will be trading in my Tahoe next year. My extended warranty is getting ready to expire and I do not want to put the money into something that I will get no return for.
    With all of the issues I have experienced with my 2008 Tahoe, I am tired of dealing with it. I am now set up to take my Tahoe in for doorlock issues. This, combined with the stalling/not starting related to the Onstar module, AC issues, dash crack, door handle, visor and whatever else is just too much. Fortunately, this is the one time that I purchased an extended warranty. I have never needed one before, but something told me to get it when I newly purchased the vehicle. I feel for those of you that are stuck paying for repairs, when GM knows well about the issues, but refuses to do recalls. I have filed a complaint w/ the FTC, which is Consumer Protection. You can also file at: https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/

I have also sent the following to several national news agencies. Complaining does little, you must take action if you wish to resolve the issues that you are experiencing.

I am writing to your organization in the hopes of you reporting the story of one of our nation&#146;s largest automakers and the issues that they are not addressing at a cost of thousands, if not millions of dollars to the consumers. Chevrolet has several known defects that they refuse to issue recalls on.

These defects include door locks, electrical issues, and vehicle not starting or stalling, there has even been several lawsuits filed regarding defective speedometers. These issues are occurring in the Tahoe, SUV Hybrids, Yukon and Suburban models. Many of these issues have been taken to the dealers to be addressed while under warranty. If they could not replicate the issue, it is not fixed. Once the warranties expire, they will fix them, but at a huge cost to the consumer. Chevrolet knows of these issues and has GM representatives monitoring the Edmunds forum. I complained about the first issue I experienced after purchasing my new 2008 Tahoe, where I was left stranded many times because my Tahoe would not start, the GM representative sent me a gift card for a year of free oil changes at the dealer. The dealer is 26 miles from my house. I had taken in my Tahoe at least 12 times before they finally diagnosed the problem as a faulty Onstar module and replaced it. This was only after I threatened lemon law. Since then, it has been taken in for AC issues, dashboard cracking, interior falling apart…I can&#146;t remember what else. It has been a nightmare. Now I am trying to get the dealer to call me back regarding faulty door locks before my extended warranty expires.

On Edmunds forum site, there are 520 reports of faulty door locks, 3,150 issues reported with the 2007 and newer Tahoe and Yukon models, 6,469 issues reported with the Tahoe in general, as well as thousands of other complaints.

My hopes are that you will do a report on this to expose the issues and force GM to fix the many defects that consumers are paying for.

You can access the forum linked directly to these issues at http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/WebX/.ef015d4/.

If you have any questions, you can reach me by email at xxxxxxxor by phone at xxxxxxxx This is a nationwide problem.

Thank you,

Desiree XXXXXXXXXX
    I have sent you several emails about what the mechanic told me yet I haven't received a response. I see all of these problems with the cam and lifters on here and no recall. I do not want to pay $3500 to have the motor fixed when it is a known chevrolet problem and they choose to do nothing. If they will fix it I will have it taken to the local Chevrolet dealer. I called them and they can't do anything until they hear from you. I need to know what to do. I would appreciate a response since you solicited that I contact you.
    Thanks for the link. I filed a complaint with the FTC. Mine has had all of the same problems. Sitting now in the shop due to cam shaft and lifters. I can let everyone I know that Chevrolet will not back their product and to never buy one. About half of my family own chevrolets but will not when I am done. Think I will take out an ad in my local paper and call my local radio and news stations and let them know. This will not go un-noticed. :mad:
    Good morning,

I am truly, truly sorry that your emails have not been responded to! My coworker Christina generally responds to emails from Edmunds, but perhaps it has not gone through. Would you please try my work email address: sarah_grace@gmexpert.com?

Again, I apologize! Thank you for your patience as we work though this.
    Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • vincesegvinceseg Posts: 9
    Sarah,

I had an open SR with GM "Customer Service" with the 800 number that was posted and they did absolutely NOTHING to defray the costs.

The next disaster is now that passenger temp control backlight is out and they inform me you have to replace the whole unit instead of just the light? WTH kind of garbage is that? 300+ bucks for a blown light. I don't even think that was installed at the dealer.

GM is horrible, from a service and quality perspective.
    Hello vinceseg,

Thanks for getting in touch; I'm sorry that you aren't satisfied with the result of the SR. When we evaluate a case for cost assistance, there are multiple factors we have to take into account. What was your case number? We'd be happy to review the case.

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    Great, something else to look forward to. I cannot believe all of the issues that are going on w/ Chevy vehicles. It is like someone sabotaged the assembly line. The dealer ended up replacing both of my rear locks, they were both bad. My service guy did admit that the majority of vehicles that are brought in for service and/or warranty issues are Tahoes and that there are many known issues, but Chevy will not recall since there is not a safety concern. I think a vehicle that leaves you stranded can be a safety concern. All I know is that once my extended warranty expires, the Tahoe is getting traded in. I am not keeping it.
  • matty72matty72 Posts: 1
    I just upgraded from my 2003 Tahoe to a 2008 Tahoe. I didn't do much research as my 2003 Tahoe was awesome! I am about to upgrade my 2004 GMC Denali, but am re- thinking after all the problems I am having with my 08 Tahoe. Here is a list:

Driver's side door lock only unlocks and locks about half the time. It seems to try to open when I push the remote button, but just can't get enough power to go up or down. Sounds like reading this forum this is a universal problem. Will a Door actuator solve the problem? if so, how much is that costing?

Next problem is the tire sensor won't go off. All of my tires are inflated. I have 22's on them so a dealership said it's cause they have too much air in them. Lot's of my buddies have 22's and none of them have issues on their tire sensors! I have taken it to two tire shops and both of them say the sensors in the tires are fine, so it must be in the computer and that's not a cheap fix. Anyone know of a solution to this, or had this same problem?

3rd problem, and most worrisome is that when I turn my tahoe on the battery indicator is just above 14 volts, but then as I drive it slowly starts going down, all the way down to about 10 volts. It hasn't died on me yet, but i'm pretty worried it will. I have read on here it could be all kinds of things from the alternator not charging the battery, to the battery cables being bad. Anyone have any suggestions before I go fishing for the answer?

You would think these somewhat minor problems like the door actuator and tire sensor light could be fixed easily. I don't understand why Chevy doesn't do a recall on the actuators??

I really want to upgrade my denali but I might have to look elsewhere.

Thanks for any and all help in advance.

Matt
  • daveportdaveport Posts: 5
    The front passenger electric door lock on my Tahoe will not unlock and can't open the door to fix the problem. When I use the remote to unlock, you can hear the mechanism in the door working but will not unlock.
    Hello Matt,
    I'm sorry that you're experiencing these three concerns with your Tahoe at the moment. If we can look into the door lock actuators, tire sensor, or the charge concern, please send the following information to socialmedia@gm.com: your name/Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 digits of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your involved dealership.

All the best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service