Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Tahoe Door Lock Problem

Comments

• kiawahkiawah Posts: 3,666
    Nope, don't work for GM, or any other company in the automobile industry.
  • dezbdezb Posts: 14
    Logging your complaints on this forum is the right thing to do. This lets the owners of like vehicles know what problems are being encountered. I have actually been contacted by GM regarding my post and they have been following up w/ me to make sure that my problems have been addressed by the dealer. DO NOT LET ANYONE advise you not to seek help and be heard. As far as the door lock issue, yes, it should be a recall issue! I have had other issues also. I own a 2008 Tahoe which has been at the dealer 4 times in a thirty day period. They had to replace an actuator in my rear door, install a dyode chip (not sure about spelling on that), fix the rear AC vent and replace an Onstar chip. My dealer told me that ever since GM changed the electrical system in '07 there have been numerous problems. One more time back to the dealer and I am trading in my Tahoe.
  • dezbdezb Posts: 14
    I don't agree with your response. When you purchase a vehicle, a GM product for example, you purchase based on reputation and research. I own a 2008 Tahoe, which has had numerous issues from the start. Why did I choose this vehicle? I also own a 2000 GMC Sierra, which now has 165,000 miles on it and still runs like a tank. I purchased my Tahoe based on my good experience with my pick up. I did not purchase an extended warranty on my pick up and never needed it. I did purchase an extended warranty on my Tahoe, but only because of the great deal I got on it. When so many vehicles are having similar issues, it is not a matter of warranty, but the quality of the vehicle itself. My issues arised during my manufacturer's warranty, but it appears several people had issues just after their warranties expired. This should be a recall issue and all stems from the reconfiguration of GM's electrical system. It is not the fault of the buyer if they could not afford--or chose not to purchase an extended warranty. These issues are things that should not go wrong within the first 5 years of a vehicles life. How many new cars have you purchased?
    edited July 2010
    So then this repair is covered for you under warranty.

I typically always buy new. Thinking back over 40 years, I can think of only 4 vehicles that weren't new, and I do all the maintenance and repairs myself on our 'fleet' to keep the family mobile and pass the vehicles down.

If you want to take up a cause, jump on the fuel pump, instrument cluster stepper motors, or transmission problems. They are much more prevalent and expensive to repair than door locks.

For what it's worth in regards to door lock solenoid problems, I've had a failure on a Mercedes, and 2 on a Chrysler MiniVan. One failed window regulator motor on a Corvette, so I've been into a couple doors before.
  • 1st @ 37k, 2nd @ 41, and 3rd @ 49k.

What I find interesting, is that while I believe that GM is not legally responsible to replace them outside of warranty (yet), they aren't providing reasonable solutions to the problem.
  • excellent point!!!!! why stop the money machine????? replacing your locks every few miles is no solution at all, especially after the warranty has lapsed.
  • Not sure why GMC fails to take action for a clear safety danger. My child managed to open the door from a faulty lock while in motion from a stop light. Good thing he was buckled in which was the only mechanism that potentially saved his life. Also, the potential for being ejected from a vehicle in a car accident from unlocked doors is significantly higher than a locked door. The death rate is also much higher.
    My suggestion for every single person who has experienced this issue would be to file a complaint and request a recall through www.safercar.gov. Log it as a safety complaint to ensure a real response. I would also recommend writing your Congressman who has an obligation to address these issues and will inquire with GM directly.
    Last thing, while everyone is focused on door lock actuators going out, this is only part of the known problem. The source of the problem is known by GM, which is a pattern failure in the wiring harness which causes failure of the actuator. GM does nothing because safercar.gov has not mandated a recall. So, why would GM replace these parts when they are making lots of money, and helping dealers make loads of money in parts/service fees?
  • I have been buying new Chevy trucks & SUVs every 3 years since 1995. I previously owned a 2005 Tahoe and now have a 2008. Since buying the 2008 I have had the transmission seal go bad and two door lock actuators go bad. I am now needing to have my driver door lock actuator replaced again!! No more Chevy products for me. I'm trying another brand. :mad:
  • Nomoretahoes, did you have any problems with your 05 Tahoe? I'm thinking about buying one soon....
  • I did have a problem with the steering on the 2005 Tahoe which started when I first purchased it. I didn't notice anything but my husband did when he drove it. The dealership did fix the problem and I don't remember anything else wrong with it. I did like the 2005 better as far as storage space. It had room under the back seats for storage and I could also store a tool bag between the 2nd row seatbacks and the folded up 3rd row seats where that isn't possible in the 2008 model.
  • bboozebbooze Posts: 34
    For what it's worth I had this lock issue on my '08 Tahoe Hybrid. All four locks essentially failed at the same time. Took it into the dealer and ultimately they did not charge me to replace all four of them. Said they would have been $400 otherwise. Of course the story they told me was that the "fought tooth and nail" with GM to cover this cost but apparently this is an identified issue with GM that they are willing to take care of free of charge.
  • I am very glad for you. All of mine went out at the same time and I didn't get anything!
  • Hi, I have a 2008 yukon hybrid that we have been having major engine issues with for months now. My vehicle has 76000 miles on it and II have taken it to the dealership probably ten times in the past 6 months. It goes about 1000 miles and we start seeing white smoke coming from tail pipe and sure enough it is very low on oil. They keep saying it is leaking gaskets and the problem is fixed only to find that the problem just repeats itself again in a couple of weeks. I am truly at my wits end and am wondering if anyone else is having oil consumption and engine issues. I also have had the problem with the driver door automatic lock quit functioning but that is miniscule compared to engine troubles. I love this car and hate to get rid of it but I feel like I am going to have to before my 100,000 power train warranty runs out. I wanted to try a later model yukon hybrid to see if the kinks have been worked out but I am truly scared to after dealing with this issue.
    edited November 2010
    Lookup "Mariah" in some of these GM Suburban threads, she's a GM Customer Service rep who regularly monitors these forums for unusual/lingering problems. I'm sure she'll have you open a trouble ticket w/GM, and want to contact you. Check for her ID (gmcustsvc) on a couple responses to problems.

With that many repairs at the dealership, I'm sure they'll want to make sure they get the right regional tech's looking at it to figure out what the root cause of your problem may be. You're wasting time, and GM is wasting money with all these prior repairs, so I'm sure they'll want the heavy tech supports looking at it.

MIght have a cracked head or block, or something very unusual. Burning both engine oil (oil is low), and radiator coolant (white smoke).
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,184
    Lookup "Mariah" in some of these GM Suburban threads

Mariah seems to have moved on and now the CSR is "Christina". But it's the same "gmcustsvc" member name and same contact link at that Profile.

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,068
    hmkinms,
    Has the dealer performed a oil consumption test? Can you please e-mail me with a run down of your issues, VIN, current mileage, involved dealer, and complete contact information including a good number to reach you at? I would like to look into this further for you.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • Just had to have 3 of 4 lock actuators replaced last month on my 08 Tahoe. RF Pax side started acting up them DR rear PAX side went bad. Took it in (still under warranty 30K miles) They replaced both known bad ones and they said the DR side was bad also so replaced it. Did it under warranty, no cost. Problem is when they go bad you cannot open the doors from outside (except for DR which is keyed) and must raise the lock bar from the inside. Kind of a hassle to have the open the doors from inside all the time. Anyway they all seem to be working now. Lets hope they last. I think GM should also do a recall.
  • I know I am preaching to the choir, but what is wrong with GM and these electrical issues? We are out of warranty and the driver rear door lock does not function. While we were under warranty we had many other lock & window problems that we had to take to the dealer MANy times before they did anything. This was on top of other electrical issues - rear venting system and radio. We also are now taking the car back to have the moldings replaced for the 3rd time b/c the original paint failed and the dealer can't replace them correctly. We will be trying to replace the acutator ourselves b/c I certainly don't trust them to do the repair nor do I want to pay them.

This was our 2nd Suburban and we only buy American, but I can tell you that we will not buy another GM car as they obviously have issues that they are not resolving. What if it was a braking issue - would they treat it the same way they are treating this one? I am so fed up I am considering crossing the line and buying a foreign car.

To anyone who still is in warranty, get any little issue fixed and get rid of your Suburban while it still works!
  • For the most part, I love my 2008 Tahoe. I currently have 63,000 miles and it is in good working order ........except for the fact that 3 door lock actuators seem to have gone out in 2 WEEKS. Has anyone had a similar experience? PLEASE HELP
  • Lots of people have had issues all at various mileages it costs approximately $400/door to fix- unless you have a warranty.
  • Same issue here too. 2008 Tahoe, passenger door actuator just went out at 55k miles. Has GM acknowledged that they have a reoccurring issue here?
  • After posting glowing reviews on our 2008 LTZ a little flag reading "Expired" must have popped up out of the dash 2K after warranty period. The driver doorlock stopped working then a couple of thousand miles later the rear passenger stopped working both were repaired at GM dealership at a cost of over $800.00. After leaving the dealership the same rear passenger lock stopped working again, it was repaired at no additional charge. If they were going to try and charge me, I was going to drive it through the front of the Showroom. Well two weeks ago the battery died, and yesterday the rear driver side doorlock stopped working. I guess it's a matter of a couple of weeks before the front passenger goes. This is our second Tahoe and fifth GM truck, unless GM faces up to the problem it will be our last GM product. I'm in the Agricultural Business here in California and most Farms use White late model Chevy trucks. I visit a minimum of fifty farm accounts a month and each have several trucks. My dissatisfaction with GM will have real reprecussions.
    edited January 2011
    Seems like a discussion with the sales manager of your local dealership is in order.

Worst case, a magnetic sign which states the facts.... "replaced my 4th door actuator" wouldn't cost much to make up. Heck, the Ford dealer might even kick in some assist bucks.
    gregaf3,
    If you would email me your VIN and current mileage i will look into recall information for you.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • Hello Steve,
    I have purchased 4 Tahoes from Chevrolet in the last 10 years not to mention, my employer also provides chevrolet trucks to those who require them. Since writing my previous request for info regarding the door lock issue, the door moulding paint has begun to fail ( fade severely). When I noticed, I again went to my local Chevy dealer and asked if they would kindly resolve the paint issue. The response I received was sure ...... and here is our estimate to repaint this for you. I was dumfounded. It is clearly a defect in workmanship. When I contacted GM Customer Service, they responded by saying......it could be an enviromental issue. ???????? REALLY?. My only recourse is to stop filling GM's pockets with money. I WILL NEVER BUY OR DRIVE ANOTHER GM PRODUCT AGAIN. As we all know, Tahoe's sticker price is not for the faint of heart and I have bought 4 of them. you would think they would help loyal customers instead of driving them to imports. Tomorrow I will be purchasing a ML 350......not another Tahoe!
  • That sounds about right as far as Chevrolet's "great" customer service!!... Then we'll have the customer representative on here ask you to waste more time by sending her the vin #.... What a joke!!! Guess they'll just wait for the government to bail them out again....
  • I have a very nice LTZ Chevy Silverado 2008. Only 34K miles on it. My power door lock stopped working today. Sounds like I am going to cough up about $400 bucks to fix a known issue. Funny thing, I traded a Kia mini van for the truck and the Kia had the same issue. I know I will buy a Ford next time. I don't see the point of giving Chevy more money for a known issue. Only 34K miles and already having issues................... really sad!
    edited February 2011
    Well on Monday, I had to replace a failed seatbelt connector & pretensioner on our Ford. With over a million miles of driving on our family vehicles over the years (all makes and models), never ever had to replace any defective seatbelt parts. Unbelievable to me that a brand new part, with all the electronics and pretensioner, was only 130 bucks. Figured it would be 300 when I was heading to the dealership. "I believe" that across the board, parts are generally of a lesser quality than they were 20 years ago. We all love that we can buy a new vehicle for as little as they are, those lower quality parts and labor are the reason.

I suspect that would have been a 500 repair to have the dealer do it, since have to take the seat out of the vehicle and apart. (Did find a quarter, and some old cheerios for lunch, though).

So I don't know that Ford will necessarily be any better for you.
    nevcity1,
    Can you please send me your VIN and current mileage? Please refrence this post and your problem. I look forward to your response.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • I'm a long time Chevy truck owner but this latest problem has me questioning my decision! My latest vehicle is my 2008 Suburban. At about 35,000 miles the first door lock went out but it was covered under the warranty. Now at 44,000 I have two others out! I guess it's just a matter of time before #4 goes. Can anyone suggest how to get this fixed without spending $400 per door? My wife is not happy about climbing over seats to open the doors for our 3 year old! Thanks in advance for the assistance.