Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Tahoe Door Lock Problem

Comments

• So how did it go with the dealer
  • I can't believe that GM has not called a recall on this because it sure seems like they get a heavy amount of complaints but you know they won't unless we go straight to the US NHTSA

I know I have small children and if they attemp to open that door which does not work while driving this will cause I big deal for them. They go out too often. I can't afford to pay every other year nor can I afford to have an accident with my children.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,064
    hcrossing,
    Let us know if you would like for us to check into this further. We can be reached at socialmedia@gm.com (please include your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and a summary of the situation).

Sarah, GM Customer Service
  • buzzr1buzzr1 Posts: 2
    I have a 2008 Chevy Silverado crew cab. Last month I spent $500+ to have the front driver and passenger electric door locks repaired. Two weeks ago the rear passenger side door lock also failed. Now the rear driver side lock is balky.
    buzzr1,
    Was this work performed at a dealership? If so, and if you would like for us to follow up on this, please contact us via email at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and a summary of the situation).
    Sarah, GM Customer Service
  • crazyhorse4crazyhorse4 Posts: 1
    edited March 2013
    I've had 2 fail on a 2008 Suburban, one failed under warranty, one failed a few months after my warranty expired. I fixed myself.

I wouldn't pay a dealer $100 to tell me the latch was bad for this common problem.

For you do it your selfers, the repair is not that bad, latch part is about $115 shipped, takes about 45 minutes to do.

Tools needed:
    Pick tool to remove access panels to bolts
    10mm socket (3 bolts)
    Pry screwdrivers (for door panel separation)
    Needle nose pliers (inside door hand clip removal)
    T27 torx (latch removal)

My latch part numbers on a 2008 Suburban (you should always check with VIN lookup)

Front Left: 25876386
    Front Right: 25876388 (Warranty Replacement)
    Rear Left: 25876391
    Rear Right: 25876392 (I Replaced)

And here's a great video set to watch on the repair:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgf0S6x0-lM
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCbufraxXto

Cheers.
  • It appears that this is a universal problem. I have replaced every door lock on my 2009 Yukon Hybrid. Love the truck, but that is very frustrating. Especially since I drive a lot and the warranty is out. Roughly $250 bucks a door. Seems like this is poor design and should be handled by GM.
  • At the dealership right now and they are perplexed. It consistently make a noise that sounds like a grinding gear when changing from gas engine to hybrid. It is coming from the front right side of the vehicle. They have never experienced this before and don't know how to fix it. It happens every time so it is not like they can't replicate the issue.
    I am sorry to hear that you have had a frustrating situation @09yukonhybrid. I can assure you that we take your feedback very seriously and use is to continuously improve our vehicles. Without you there is no us. Please email me at socialmedia@gm.com if there is anything I can do:-)

Crystal-GM Customer Care
  • elvis56elvis56 Posts: 3
    Well, I bought the 2008 tahoe for my wife, she loves it. I personally think the new chevrolets are the nicest looking vehicles on the road. I had been searching the forums and doing my homework before I bought it. Its got just under 90,000kms (canada) and has been ok so far. It does eat a bit of oil with the 5.3, and usually only on the highway. Well last night we went to the store and when I tried to get in the passenger side of the truck, I nearly tore the door handle off. The door was locked, but the truck was running so the door should have unlocked. Wont work with any switches or key fob so guess what, actuator is toast. My factory warranty is up in 1 month so Im going to call the dealer today and see if its covered. I have an aftermarket warranty that may also cover it so no big deal but I hope this is not a sign of things to come. I am currently looking at getting an avalanche and dont want these little ongoing problems.
    Hi,

Sorry you are having problems with your door locks. Luckily you're still within warranty, and under normal circumstances your warranty should cover that issue. Please keep me updated after your visit to the dealer. Feel free to private message me if you have any other questions or concerns.

Amber N.
    GM Customer Care
  • I have a 2008 Chevrolet Tahoe. It has had door lock problems on 3 doors. It was repaired under warranty and a few days after warranty. It has been a major problem! It is a problem again! Each time it happen's the driver side
    back door is always invoked! I have two young granddaughter's I have on most
    days picking up and taking to different activities. The lock on the back door is a safety problem! It stays unlocked when I lock the Tahoe or it locks and we can't use the door! We ride with the door in-locked, dangerous for child, or locked and can not open it. A major concern in a fire or wreck! Seeing all of the folks having
    a problem Chevrolet needs to recall or just fix this problem each time it comes in.....Otherwise do it if it was brought in during warranty!
  • nate2013nate2013 Posts: 2
    I have a 2009 Suburban. Driver door started acting up intermittently quite a while back. It has gradually worsened and other door locks acting up now too. Went to dealership today and driver door, front passenger door, and rear passenger door all need replaced. Multiple instances of multiple locks failing on the same vehicle indicates a design issue or faulty part, not within the usual expectations of repair for vehicles that are 4-5 years old. Replacement is expensive, especially when you multiply the repair costs by 2, 3, or even 4 repairs!
  • I have a 2005 Tahoe and yesterday I astarted having trouble with the door locks. When I hit the button on the keyless entry only the front doors will lock or unlock and even when I use the button on the drivers door the back doors and the tailgate will not unlock. Could this purely be a problem with a bad fuse or transfer circuit? It seems that this Taho has two, one for locking and one for unlocking, but the front doors still work. This is a safety issue I would think because the tailgate can only be opened/unlocked in this way as there is no key hole in the tailgate.
    Hi nate2013,

I can certainly take a look into your issue. Can you private message me your full name, address, phone number, Vehicle Identification number, and approximate mileage on your vehicle please? My email address is socialmedia@gm.com "Attn Crystal" in the subject line. I look forward to hearing from you:-)

Crystal L. - GM Customer Care
  • I just recently discovered a problem with our recently acquired Yukon's door locks and see here that it seems to be a more widespread issue. It currently is effecting 3 out of the 4 doors.... the rear passenger door is the only one functioning 'properly'.
    I've seen a lot of questions on this board about is GM going to do anything about this in way of a recall, etc. Well, are they? It seems to me there is a defect that could effect safety in several cases.
  • I took my 2008 chevrolet Tahoe in this afternoon! They don't seem to know there is a problem even though previous service came up on their computer screen! I also carried copies! The customer service agent had me wait while four in front of me were taken care of. That would not normally be a problem for me. The ladies and I got into a conversation about the wait. We all had the same guy. There were 2 others customer service agents sitting there doing NOTHING. My turn The Agent says, This will not be covered. You owe $174.44 today. For us to verify if there is a problem." We had just stood out at the Tahoe with him pointing out more lock problems to me. The point GM/ Chevrolet need to official address this PROBLEM! Waiting to see how it all turns out! 731-735 I hope you had it easier and had good results!
  • btaneybtaney Posts: 2
    Ive had my Tahoe for less than 2 years (purchased used from dealership) and I've had 3 of the 4 door actuators went bad. The dealership wants to charge in $120 each to just take apart the doors and look at it! What a joke! I've always dreamed of being a Tahoe owner but having these issues and the lack of service from Chevy has been a nightmare. This is just one of the issues I've had. The dash board cracked out of no where by the passengers side airbag and the radio back light burnt out as well. For what I paid for my Tahoe I can't afford the repairs!
  • Hey btaney I feel your pain. I have a 2008 Tahoe Hybrid. My door locks went bad too and received no help either, but I must say if you work with the girls from Chevy that will reply to your post. My dash cracked in almost the exact same spot. After providing my info a district manager contacted me and scheduled an appointment at my local dealer for the service manager to inspect it. A few days later the dist. manager called me and informed me that the service manager ordered a replacement dash and Chevy will cover all the cost. I was kinda shocked, but very satisfied with the outcome. Wish you luck.
    Hi btaney,

Could you please email us at socialmedia@gm.com ATTN: Amber. We'd like to assist you in seeking some type of resolution with the issue you're having with your door locks.

Amber N.
    GM Customer Care
  • mpotmpot Posts: 1
    I have an 08 tahoe with 53,400 miles on it, within the last week I have had three out of four door lock actuators stop working. I thought I would look online to see if anyone else had this problem, Its depressing to see that so any people have had the same issues. I can understand parts failing but when 2,3, & 4 actuators fail at the same time and its obviously a inferior part that should never have been put into a $50,000 vehicle. Now I have to spend $125 for each failed part plus the labor at $100 an hour I am not very happy at this point especially after just spending $500 for another problem. Does anyone know if there is a way to test the actuator to see if it is bad and its not some other issue? Its no wonder people buy Toyota's and honda's :mad:
  • btaneybtaney Posts: 2
    Hello,
    I purchased a used radio online because my current radio's backlight went out. Can someone advise on how to unlock the newly installed radio?
  • ed114ed114 Posts: 3
    I also have a 2008 Tahoe. Even though I only have 26,000 miles on it, it is out of warranty, and of course my rear passenger door lock actuator failed right after the 3 years were up. In the period of time since then, I have seen hundreds and hundreds of posts in this forum and on others from Chevy buyers experiencing the same issue. Well, now it is two years later, and I would have expected Chevrolet to issue a recall for this by now, as it really could be a life safety issue if a child were in the back seat and the door could not be unlocked. But no, nothing has happened so far. So, based solely on this, as it is now time to start looking for a new vehicle, Chevy will not be considered. In fact, as the fleet buyer for an electrical contracting firm, I doubt I will be looking at Chevrolet for our next round of vehicles. Very disappointing, as the the Tahoe is one of the best vehicles I have ever owned (had a 2004 before my current one). And Chevy trucks have performed very well in our corporate fleet. We have an excellent relationship with our local dealer, I speak with the owner directly, but this becomes a matter of principle. I wonder how many others have made the same decision?
  • dlowery693dlowery693 Posts: 1
    I have a 2008 Avalanche LT that is also having the drivers door lock actuator issue. It only has 26,800 miles on it. It has also picked up a cold start knock which the dealer says is normal. Like others on this thread my bumper to bumper warranty has ran out even though the mileage is low. I am going to Atlanta this weekend and am honestly considering taking the title with me and trading for a RAM.
    Hi dlowery693,

I'm sorry to hear about the problems you are experiencing with your vehicle. Have you spoken with your dealer about the door lock repair?

Amber N.
    GM Customer Care
  • I have the lift door lock issue. Has been this way about 2 years. I emailed the GM customer care people that post on this forum and they are not helpful. The response is: there is no recall, you are not under warranty but I can assist you with finding a dealer. I have to wonder if the poor part is an intentional money making scheme. I have never been a big fan of class action law suits but this is a safety issue when kids in the 3rd row cannot be accessed through the back door if needed in an accident. What is the point in having a SUV if you get your groceries locked in the back and there is not even a way to open it with a key. Chevy/GM should be ashamed.

I am getting rid of my Tahoe and the many issues it has started having since the week it week out of warranty and never buying Chevy/GM again.
  • buzzr1buzzr1 Posts: 2
    I spent over $700 on repairing all 4 locks on my 2008 Silverado. Chevy did help on the last 2 locks, charging me $100 per lock. In spite of the help, I am soured on GM and will never buy another GM product. My next truck will be a Ford.
    nomorechevysok,

I do apologize you are experiencing this concern with your Tahoe. Each case is handled on a case by case basis. In order to assist, you would need to get into the dealership so we can fully understand the cause of your concern with a diagnosis. Then the process is to work towards a resolution.
    We are here to be of assistance to our customers. I am sorry if you did not feel helped when you contacted us earlier, and hopefully this will help clarify the way we approach these situations. We look forward to hearing from you, though we understand if you should choose to take a different course of action.

Erica Tiffany
    GM Customer Service
  • So I just purchased a 2009 chevy tahoe hybrid with 58000 miles on it and noticed that the passenger side door is not locking or unlocking, like most others posting in this forum. This is my first cheverolet and i'm quite discouraged by all the aparent problems that plague their vehicles. I plan on taking it to the dealership soon, but am sure that without a recall, I will be out of luck. Unfortunately, I'm also cursed with the cracked dash issue.

Jason
    Hi greendisease,

I am sorry to hear of your issues with your Tahoe. I would like to research this for you. Can you private message me your full name, address, phone number, Vehicle Identification number, and approximate mileage on your vehicle please? My email is socialmedia@gm.com "attn Crystal" in the subject header. Look forward to hearing from you.

Crystal L
    GM Customer Care