Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2011 Ford Edge

Comments

• steverstever Ex Yooper, just arrived in New MexicoPosts: 40,550
    Welcome back Lateralg - just as an aside from old conversations, I think the Ford bashing around here (shoot, around the country) has eased a lot in the last couple of years.

You didn't mention the Flex - that one interests me because it has some minivan qualities. And I like "square".

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• akirbyakirby Posts: 7,690
    Hey Gary - Steve has immortalized you in an Edmunds guide. The issue of blind spot detection came up in the MKX thread.

The Zen of Adjusting Your Side Mirrors

To paraphrase CarSpace member Lateralg, your car’s rear quarter panels aren’t a threat. Why should you be looking at them in your side view mirrors then? If you are like most drivers, you are still aligning your side mirrors the “old” way.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,695
    I remember seeing your posts, although I am not sure on what forum.
    Speaking of SST, I think this is New :surprise:
    It's about 50 miles from me, so I have not taken a look at it.
  • steverstever Ex Yooper, just arrived in New MexicoPosts: 40,550
    edited September 2010
    immortalized you in an Edmunds guide

That's a nice way of saying I stole his stuff. Thanks. :D

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

po-tay-to, po-tah-to....................
  • Does anyone know if the 2011 Edge has turn signals in it's side view mirrors. I couldn't see it in any pictures and I saw someone blog where they said " I wish they had them". If not............What's up Ford?.......get with the program. Also, "host", any idea when Edmunds will be doing a test drive for the 2011?
  • roho1roho1 Posts: 317
    What program? Hardly anyone uses their turn signals anymore, especially here in Florida. :(
  • robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 7,818
    Does anyone know if the 2011 Edge has turn signals in it's side view mirrors.

It's not mentioned in the specs. The Explorer is getting them.
  • I'll let you know Monday when I pick mine up.

The '11 Edge does have a really cool turn signal feature: Move lever to first detent & release. Lever returns to neutral position, and turn signal flashes 3 times. It's named "Lane Change".

I drove an Edge 3.5L this week at a Ford affair for employees & retirees at Dearborn PG. Very quiet, nice ride, excellent handling, and unexpected stunning acceleration.

Ford also provided the Toyota & Honda "equivalents" for us to drive. I rate the Edge as the clear overall winner.
    The '11 Edge does have a really cool turn signal feature: Move lever to first detent & release. Lever returns to neutral position, and turn signal flashes 3 times. It's named "Lane Change".

IIRC, this has been a Volvo feature for years. Glad to see Ford offering it.
  • m6userm6user Posts: 2,998
    I haven't seen them in any of the Edges that have been reviewed by the auto writers and I've read a lot of them. Pretty sure they are not.
    That is a nice feature. A lot of Euro cars have that. In fact the new 2011 Kia Optima has that feature as well. It's getting a lot more common.
  • mtnman1mtnman1 Westerville, OhioPosts: 383

The 2011 Kia Sorento has had that feature all of 2010.
  • No turn signal mirrors. No vented seats either! Two bad omissions in my opinion. Especially for the Limited and Sport trims. I would expect these things at this price point.
  • I just test drove an 2011 Ford Edge today and my neck still hurts from having my head forced forward by the head rest. I am 5' 8'' and do not have neck problems. I could not position the seat and head rest to get this problem to go away. I had to sit with my back off the seat to avoid the head rest. :(
    I read an auto writer's review that mentioned the same problem with the headrest. Who wants to drive long distance with their head bent forward? This is such a crucial item. How do others feel about their headrests?
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 14,458
    might be from the volvo lineage. But, not just them anymore that has seats with headrests that really jut forward.

It is part of the safety system (keeping you from getting whiplash), but you are correct that it can be uncomfortable for some people, since they are not normally adjustable

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (daughter stole that one), and 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again)

All new cars have similar headrests - it's a new safety requirement. Leaning the seat back usually helps. Some people reverse them or bend the posts back. I think the new Explorer will have adjustable headrests - might want to check them out.
  • It takes about 1 minute to reverse the headrest to a more comfortable position. I don't see a downside to the change if the height is set appropriately.

There are two releases for the support rods. One is for vertical adjustment, the other for removal. Depress both releases to pull headrest up and out.

BTW, my 2007 Mazda CX-9 has similar headrest configuration & hasn't been a problem in 3-1/2 years of use.
    I am seriously considering the '11 Edge as my next vehicle and most of the reviews I've read where the seats were mentioned have given them rave reviews for comfort. However, I did read the one that mentioned the uncomfortable headrest and then this recent poster. I've sat in cars at auto shows that have the headrests slanted too far forward for my liking and it was very offputting.

That's why I'm interested in your reply. If it is easy to just reverse that would be great but how does it look. Have you done it? The headrests appear slanted on one side and to reverse them it seems that it would look a little strange. Plus I'm sure they were designed from a safety aspect so would reversing them affect the ability to protect materially?

I'm sure someone will say, "well, why don't you just go drive one and see" and that makes some sense but I just like to research as much as possible prior to a test drive to not waste everyone's time.
    Blame the IIHS. They came up with the whiplash test about 3 years ago and no automaker wants to fail their tests now.
  • roho1roho1 Posts: 317
    Well, I had to look up IIHS. Interesting to note the Edge didn't make their top safety picks for 2010. Is the Head rest a new design for 2011?
    Well, I just got back from my local Ford dealer after sitting in a new '11 Edge. I found the headrest to be no problem at all. I adjusted the seat fairly straight up(straighter than I would normally have it) and didn't find a problem. When I put the seatback in the position that I think I would normally drive it was absolutely no problem.

The only thing I can think of is the people that find the headrest intrusive must drive with their necks bent back or with their heads constantly resting on the headrest. If that's the case they may not like it. But for the other 99.9% of us it is just fine. Much ado about nothing IMO.

As far as the '11 Edge. I liked it a lot and it has a lot of features going for it. However, there is still a vast difference in the feel of the materials and quality of the leather, soft surfaces and switches and such versus the old Infiniti SUV I drive now. I don't expect the Ford to be the same as the Infiniti but I was hoping that it would be a little closer. Still a very nice vehicle that I could get used to and is still on my short list.
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 14,458
    first car I ever noticed this with was a Volvo XC90. I liked it (almost like having my head in a catchers mitt!), but I also like to rest my head on the headrest anyway (something you can't always do).

I found the XC comfy, but it hit my wife wrong, and she partly ruled it out for that reason.

Actually, the bigger drawback (to me) was the darn things are so big and obtrusive that you can't see past them to look behind you.

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (daughter stole that one), and 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again)

• qthqth Posts: 25
    There is a huge gap between headliner and front glass. Anyone checks the gap between the headliner and back glass? I do not believe Ford quality is job 1.
    but I also like to rest my head on the headrest anyway

BTW, they aren't called head rests. They are head restraints - designed to restrain the rearward momentum of your head in a collision.

Head rests are pillows on your couch and bed.

:)
    Isn't headrest just short for head restraints? ;)
    I guess one could make that assumption.

The way I look at it is a mis-positioned head restraint can be a head rest because one's head will rest on top of it when one's head snaps back at high velocity.

Head restraints should be adjusted so the head strikes it - well head on - at a 0 degree vertical angle. The head snapping back beyond that can lead to injury.
    FYI, it was a lame attempt at humor.
  • I don't know how tall you are but as I mentioned in my original post I am 5' 8''. My husband at 6' 1'' was not bothered by the head rest but sitting next to me he could see the problem it was causing me. We did try turning it around but then the backward angle would have allowed whip lash. I mentioned this problem
    because I test drove 6 new cars in the small crossover class this weekend and this is the only one that I had this problem with.

I agree that the Edge had plenty of good features but the discomfort from this head restraint would prevent me from buying. Maybe women under 6' are not Ford's target market for this car.