Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2011 Ford Edge

Comments

• akirbyakirby Posts: 7,690
    The 2011 Explorer seems to be much more competitive with the JC than the Edge would be.
  • I really like the new '11 Edge, especially the Sport. Further investigation though, and HIDs are not available on the Edge's most expensive trim. It's available on the SEL, but not the Sport. Only halogens for the Sport, and HIDs optional on the SEL. I wonder why Ford did this...? Not much of a dealbreaker, I can go aftermarket, but would have to wait until factory warranty runs out. What do you guys think? :)
  • robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 7,816
    Actually, they're only available on the Limited model. I'm guessing the focus groups showed people willing to pay extra for them on the luxury model but not on the sport model.
    Since the sport comes with the same 3.7L engine as the MKX I think it was done to differentiate the MKX from the Edge Sport.

No need to wait if you really want to upgrade to aftermarket HIDs. The only danger with aftermarket HIDs is if you fry the smart junction box. It won't affect anything else. Just make sure you get a reputable brand.
  • Thanks robr2 and akirby. It is the LIMITED and not the SEL. Confused the trim levels">. I was doing a quick comparison and couldn't understand why HIDs weren't offered on the Sport, which is fine. I have aftermarket HIDs in my other car now. Work flawlessly. Definitely will get some from a reputable company, IF i get the Sport Model.
  • fsu_seminole1fsu_seminole1 Posts: 12
    edited December 2010
    Couldn't edit my last post, missed the 30 minute window. I looked up the bulb type for the Edge and it uses H1R2 (high/low) bulbs. Definitely something new. I havent crossed referenced them yet. The Edge will have to be out for awhile to get more info on aftermarket kits.

EDIT: Also the HID equipped Egde models use D3S also new to me. I'm used to D2R and D2S, and so forth. Definitely going to research some more. Any more info will be gladly appreciated. Thank you!
  • samnoesamnoe Posts: 731
    As expected, Consumer Reports had a review this month from the new Edge & MKX, and while the like the improved driving dynamics, they will NOT RECOMMEND neither model, due the overwhelming interface of the touch screen(s). They say it's not safe, and no matter which way you control the system, even verbally, it's more cumbersome than a simple dial on a knob.

And I must agree. While I do love technology and all the cool gadgets today, I think it is way overdone in a MOVING VEHICLE. It's just not the right, or safest place to implement such technology, period. It's enough what we already have, it's difficult enough not to be talking or texting or emailing while driving, no eating or drinking, why complicate us even more with such a "intuitive" system? That's too much while driving.

And in general, what was so wrong with the tried-and-true actual buttons and knobs? It was the easiest to use, even with gloves, and served its purpose perfectly well. Why mess with a proven tech? I mean, this is actually an answer to a question no one asked! It's like making my toilet with a touch screen and all I need is to swipe down on the screen in order to flush, or just press a button to activate the voice command and say "FLUSH"!.. That would be very funny, but it's useless. No one needs it! And so is the complicated interface in the car. Leave the complicated interfaces for the high-tech gadgets, where it belongs, not where it is not safe to use. But that's just my opinion, and you may think different, of course.
  • m6userm6user Posts: 2,997
    I totally agree. I wrote almost the same thing CR said after I went and looked at the 2011 Edge when it first came out a coupld of months ago. I love tech too but having two or three ways to do the same thing is simply too much redundancy. Being able to push a button, say a command(hopefully one the system understands) to change temp is very Capt. Kirk-ish but is no better than turning a knob......just cooler I guess. Someone replied to my earlier post that having mores ways is good because if the first one breaks you still have another way to change it. These things are all wired together so I don't think that is really a plus. To me these things are a technicians gold mine down the road after warranty.
  • merckxmerckx Posts: 565
    The touch screen is easily avoided on the SE model....
    It's also optional on the SEL. It's only standard on the Limited.
  • lateralglateralg Posts: 929
    Has anyone verified that the cross traffic indicator really works?

Mine does not. I can be backing from parking slot into the path of a vehicle of any size, at any distance, and travelling at any speed, and get no warning of any nature.

BAH!

BTW is there a Sync forum? I could search I guess, but I need to go work on my video camera stabilizer.
  • Have it checked by your dealer. Mine works perfectly-warns when cars or individuals approaching.
    What's the nature of the warning? Sound, light, ??
  • steverstever Ex Yooper, just arrived in New MexicoPosts: 40,540
    edited February 2011
    Here you go:

Ford Edge SYNC Bluetooth SiriusXM Audio Questions

Must be a pretty intuitive interface judging by the lack of recent posts.

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Steve, The only thing I saw on that thread was the possibility of a loose fuse. Did I miss something?

I do get audible signals as I'm about to collide with an object directly behind me. The beeping increases in frequency the closer I get. Is this what I should be hearing if a vehicle approaches from the side?

IMO the whole of Sync, My Ford Touch, and the Nav. system has non-intuitive interface, as well as documentation that strongly suggests that insufficient resources were allocated toward making the systems user-friendly.

Ford better get with it toward making the system(s) usable, else the reputation of the much-ballyhooed system will suffer ... a lot.

The 2011 Edge is my fifth vehicle with OEM nav. system. I rank its user-friendliness near the bottom. I take my Garmin 1490T with me to do the serious stuff.

I say this as a loyal retired Ford engineer.
    Did I miss something?

No, but a Sync fan may still be subscribed to it if you want to post over there. I haven't played with it but I thought most of the reviews were good. And it was helping Ford sell cars.

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Maybe it's only confusing for old retired people? ;)
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,693
    It's always a good idea to check out multiple sources for information.
    'BlueOvalNews' might be a good place to visit.
    In case anyone things I was being nasty - that was a joke between old friends.
    No doubt about it.
    A reporter is interested in speaking with anyone who is willing to share their recent (last 6-9 months) experience with ANY of the following systems: adaptive cruise control, collision warning/crash avoidance, blind-spot warning, pedestrian detection, self-parking, Ford MyKey or MyTouch, Ford Sync's cloud-based voice-activated features (directions, weather, sports, stock quotes, movies, restaurant/hotel info, etc), in-car on-demand ipod downloads.

If you are interested in commenting on your experience, please reply to pr@edmunds.com no later than 5pm EST on March 16, 2011 and include your name, state of residence, the model year of your vehicle and your phone number.

Steve,

I attempted to email the following to pr@edmunds.com but it was rejected.

1) Adaptive cruise control: My vehicle not so equipped.
    2) Collision warning ... ??
    3) Blind spot warning: Of little or no value. Doesn't give warning until front of an overtaking vehicle is beside rear of my vehicle. Please note that "blind spot" is the result of improper outside mirror aim.
    4) Pedestrian Detection: My vehicle not so equipped. (Unless it's supposed to be part of the cross-traffic warning, which is malfunctioning on my Edge.)
    5) Self Parking: My vehicle not so equipped.
    6) MyKey/My touch: Nice features, but I'd like fob to be much smaller ... credit card size.
    7) Voice-activated features. Inadequate, inaccurate owner instructions, combined with poor voice recognition, and web site that values form over function could kill this app. Voice commands are spread over several pages of owners' manual.

This needs, at least, a downloadable , editable list of all voice commands so owner can create his/her personalized list for quick reference while on the road. Expecting the owner to find within the manual which of the 16 pages contains the command needed is unrealistic. IMO Ford failed to provide the resources necessary to produce easy-to-follow instructions. In summary: An excellent system with instructions written by the three stooges. (This is not a slam at those who wrote the instructions, it's directed at those who failed to provide the necessary resources.)

As it now stands, after living with this system for 6 months, I still find it much more distracting than the "features" of my previously owned Mazda CX-9.

8) In-car on-demand ipod downloads. I have no interest in this.

Gary Schwartz P.E.
    Michigan & Arizona
    2011 Edge
    We "camouflage" the at sign in email addresses to try to foil the spambots. Can you try again and hand type in the pr at edmunds.com? Unless there was some other reason it was rejected - maybe we think you are a spammer. :shades: Thanks!

Steve,

I must have made a mistake on original attempt, although I haven't detected what it was. Second attempt got through, and I got a phone call in response.
    Only a Ford dealer can diagnose it so what did you expect Ford to say? Take it to another dealer and get the real problem diagnosed. It has to be the steering rack.
  • ccpbrunoccpbruno Posts: 1
    My point exactly akirby, I did take it to a Ford dealer the first time it happened, supposedly they fixed the problem. But guess what, it happened again. I am not risking my family’s life a third time, because some ford tech says it’s fixed (just like the first time). I want Ford to replace the car with the same. If not give me my money back. I would understand if it was the AC system with problems, I then would not mind going back ten times. This is more of a serious safety issue. There are people’s life’s at stake!
    There are good dealers and bad dealers and unfortunately Ford doesn't have much control over the bad ones. Take it to a different dealer and at least give them one shot at fixing the real problem. You're not getting your money back just because one dealer misdiagnosed the problem.
  • coasterguycoasterguy Posts: 25
    Hello. I have been reading in here for a while. Lately I have been shopping and I am sorta in between a new Grand Cherokee and the New Edge. I like them both but, really do not need the off road abilities of the new jeep.
    I am somewhat afraid of the MFT drama. I also don't like that you cannot get a loaded EDGE without MFT.
    Am I gonna regret the EDGE. Looking at a Black edge Limited with 20" chrome clads and most options....
    Anyone, anyone??? Thanks
  • bdymentbdyment Posts: 548
    I have had my 2010 Limited AWD for about a year now and it really is one of the most enjoyable vehicles I have ever owned. Only complaint, kind of a gas hog in city driving. Highway mileage is fine. I have the 20" wheels and Platinum White colour. Sharp looking.
  • coasterguycoasterguy Posts: 25
    Though I am a little afraid of MFT issues. I am picking up my Limited tonight. Black on Black 302A and 20" Chrome Clads. I am excited to get my first Ford. No more imports. This is HUGE for me.