Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2011 Ford Edge

124»

Comments

• akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    The LS, Aviator and Expedition all had problems repaired under warranty. Only the Aviator was serious - new head.

If you look at the facts ALL new vehicles are fairly reliable. The worst one today is better than the best one was 15 years ago.

There are exceptions and Ford has had problems with specific vehicles including MFT. But you can't say one brand is better or worse than another based on anecdotal evidence.
  • m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    But you can't say one brand is better or worse than another based on anecdotal evidence.

Exactly. Which is why the rating outfits seek hundreds or thousands of owner's experiences and compare the averages to get rankings. I used to buy mostly GM and a few Ford. When I compare the repair experiences I had with all those vehicles(which on the most part liked/loved them all) there is no comparison to the 10, 9 and 5 year old Japanese products I now own. I really just can't believe how many recalls and warranty repairs there were with the GM and Ford products over the years and then out of warranty repairs which I accepted while assuming that it was "normal". Well, I discovered it was not normal for the Japanese brands. While I would love to buy a Ford or a GM(had a couple of Chrysler products too but not impressed at all) again, I am gunshy.

I've had about 22 GM products and 6 Ford products so I think I've got some pretty good history and knowledge of the brands. I realize that things have changed recently but not ready to chance it quite yet.
    You should ask the folks that had Toyota engine sludge problems or Honda transmission problems or Toyota Tacoma frames that rusted IN HALF whether they're perfect or not.

JD Power is the best source for quality data. Ford is not perfect and has had issues but the others aren't perfect either.

If you don't want a Ford then don't buy one.
    No need to be offended. That happens when one gets so invested in one brand. I realize all brands have problems including the problems you mentioned. I'm certainly not saying any brand is perfect. You related your experience, I related mine.
    I just hate it when someone uses anecdotal evidence to make sweeping conclusions about an entire brand - good or bad.
    I agree with that. Those surveys of "one" are not applicable to others or to a brand but they do apply to us personally when a stark difference is noted through actual first hand experience over many, many vehicles.

The reason I have the Edge bookmarked is because I was seriously looking at it at one time but can't get over the user interface with the controls. I hate the mytouch stuff and I like vehicles loaded and it's impossible to stay away from it when the vehicle is loaded. I realize it and sync has been improved and improved but I want nothing to do with those type of capacitive controls. I also looked at the new Escape but can't get over the styling or the lack of storage cubbies in the dash and console area. I hate using my cupholders for everything but drinks. :sick:
    I don't blame anyone who has had a problem with a vehicle for not buying another one.

I realize MFT has bugs but I haven't heard anyone who didn't like the controls. What is it that you don't like?
  • avery1avery1 Member Posts: 373
    I had never had a Japanese brand and after hearing rave reviews bought a 1999 Lexus RX. Wonderful car in many ways but it had several major issues. There was the sludge in the engine problem. There were many, many complaints about this problem and after years they extended the warranty to cover that but it was diagnosed in my car after the warranty extension. Fortunately the diagnosis was wrong. There was also the early failure of transmissions that they didn't address. Cost me $4700 for a new transmission at 110,000. (My brothers Chrysler van went through 3 trannys in the same time frame.)

Before these Lexus problems surfaced I bought a Toyota Sienna to replace an Aerostar. Again, a great car in many ways. But there is a premature failure of the sliding doors with hundreds of failures noted in the thread here on Edmunds. Usually the fix is about $1800. After years of complaints Toyota has finally issued a warranty extension that covers some of the failures. It isn't so much the problems that surface it is how the company deals with them. I have not been satisfied with the Toyota way of dealing with them.

So I sold the Lexus and bought a Volvo XC 60. So far so good after 18 months but will see.
    Trying to fine tune an adjustment seemed diffucult. It's like those old radios where the dial just nevers seems to hit the station right. Kind of a silly way to explain it but that's the way it seemed. After a lengthy test drive the sync voice commands just couldn't get it right on so many tries that I gave up and so did the salesman. He said there must be somethning wrong with that particular car I was testing. Maybe they should be test driving one that works, ya think?? Anyway, it may be something over a lot of time one could get used to but I just don't want to spend $40k and have to learn that much. There were a couple of other little bugaboos in the driving experience that didn't feel right to me but that is probably very specific to me and may not bother others at all.
  • conkevconkev Member Posts: 7
    I totally agree with what you are saying. I have been a loyal customer to Ford for 25 years. I think their new body styles and technolory are cool/cutting edge. I too would love to buy a new Ford Edge, but, based on my past experience with Ford products and the ratings and reviews on the Edge, I bought the Lexus RX 350 AWD instead. Mywife is happy, so I'm happy.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    A reporter would like to talk to owners of Ford cars and trucks with MyFord Touch. If you fit this description and you’d like to talk with the reporter, please send daytime contact info to PR@edmunds.com by 4 p.m. Pacific/7 p.m. Eastern on Tuesday, September 11, 2012.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• char4char4 Member Posts: 2
    Last night whule I was in the car and trying to exit the panic alarm started- when I pressed the panic button it wouldn't turn off. A message came on the dash to start the car and the alarm would turn off but when I tried to start the car it wouldn't start. When I opened the car door the alarm would start again, the message came on but again I couldn't start the car to turn it off. Mu husband who was standing outside the car was able to turn it off with his remote. Is there some sequence which is required to stop the alarm if you are in this situation? This is a 2011 Edge Limited.
    Maybe you hit the door lock on the remote which armed the system and it went off when you opened the door from the inside without unlocking it and disarming it first. It happens a lot, especially if you leave the kids in the car and lock the doors then they decide to open the door.

Try hitting the lock/unlock button on the remote first, then the panic button if that doesn't work. Could have just been a glitch.
  • tazerity1tazerity1 Member Posts: 1
    I ordered this car right from the plant when they came out. I have now 53,000 km's on it and everything on this car is perfect, Sync works great and android phone and music no problems. I am really proud to drive this car and would definitely recommend to anyone. I wish all my cars in the past worked as well as this one does.

Cheers

Tom
  • bigk3bigk3 Member Posts: 1
    Hmmm. Not sure I get what the complications are with MYFORD TOUCH. I spent 15 minutes today in a Ford Edge Limited and it was very easy going thru MFT. Everything worked fine for me and I had no problems manuvering thru the system. Sync worked fine also but granted I watched a YOUTUBE video the night before and the syntax you use matters. Sounds to me like you had a broken salesman.
    Also spent time in an Audi Q5 with MMI and WOW you want to talk about complicated. That one will take a learning curve. Maybe if I had an Audi video that one would have gone smoother too though?
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,253
    I think you can buy a sun visor with homelink built into it as an accessory.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • builder2builder2 Member Posts: 7
    edited February 2013
    In the Edge brochure it clearly mentions "active grill shutters" in the description of the "tech" on the Ecoboost Edge. I have this and see no shutters. Am I missing something here? I mean on the Escape they are prominent yet on mine I see nothing. Design change?
    It's always been somewhat of a mystery as to which models got them and which didn't. Seems like it changed and didn't necessarily match the brochure.
  • babbs3babbs3 Member Posts: 50
    edited February 2013
    For Steve (Host)
    My new 2013 Edge has those horrible spots (just like the 2011 Escape I just turned in) In the past I was able to remove the spots from the Escape but the next day after getting the Edge I had a lot of spots of which I can not get out. I have read the sad stories of others taking their cars to the dealers and the results have been almost worse than when they took them in. Why won't Ford listen to us and STOP using those recycled products that cause these stains (just water). Can someone grab Fords' ear? This is the 3rd Ford I have had in 2 1/2 years and I am pretty sure I won't buy anymore. Help
  • bdymentbdyment Member Posts: 573
    I have not seen this problem re: Edge line. Two of my friends have Edges with cloth and no compaints. We have a 2013 Edge Limited, but it has leather. Perhaps you should consider the leather option in the future.
  • anabelanabel Member Posts: 21
    I purchased a 2011 in March. Ford Edge Limited. Wondered about the issues with the electronics. Sync system, Radio electronics, Bluetooth issues? Looking for a forum for this vehicle.
    So you're looking for a Ford Edge forum? Hmmm......