Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GM BuyPower - your comments welcome

SylviaSylvia Posts: 1,636
edited March 19 in Pontiac
Have you used GM BuyPower? What was your experience?

Comments

• Back in August/September, my wife and I finally got serious about buying a minivan. We decided we wanted a Pontiac Montana, so we went to the local Pontiac store, where we met Elvis. (I'm not kidding, that was his name!!)

Since his store didn't have anything we wanted, we asked him to attempt to locate a van that met our needs. He was less than enthusiastic, I think, so I took matters into my own hands, and looked into GM-Buypower.

I was quite impressed, mainly because of the search features that showed actual dealer inventory and actual stickers, so I could tell if the vehicles I was finding really had the equipment we wanted.

We ended up buying a van at a dealer 4 hours away from our house!!! I found the van and the dealer through GM's site, contacted the dealer via that site, and worked out pricing over the phone.

Truthfully, it was one of the best buying experiences ever!! (my 8th new vehicle)

I give high marks to GM's internet efforts.
  • amos7amos7 Posts: 6
    I like the feature that allows you to em-ail dealers without disclosing your em-ail address.

I just used it to buy my '01 Malibu.
  • I am a Gm Buypower manager and that neat little trick is most likely costing a customer $2000 in additional rebate unless he checks his message board. I have no idea why customers do not want to helped by a salesman. Simply check out edmunds and take every word as gospel.
  • I am not bitter but when customers use the autonomy of the interned to insult and be rude I get a kick out of it when it costs the customer!
  • estoesto Posts: 136
    The ability to search dealers' inventory online was fantastic. I wish all manufacturers had as
    comprehensive a service as BuyPower!

I ended up buying a used '99 Astro AWD van in September, but it was via the BuyPower person.
    My communication with this person was very low-key and he was VERY helpful. The buying
    experience was very pleasant. I give the BuyPower service a big thumbs up!
  • rroyce10rroyce10 Posts: 9,359
    If your brother in laws..next door neighbor...is the site manager....either get him to at least pass high school....or go to "Best Buys"....and find some 21 yr old computer freak....and let him re-develope it....Gosh what a mess......click option s-roof- whole new page...click colors-whole new page..etc..(and you have to do this... before the site crashes )....I now you guys cant get your stuff together... If you want to see how it's done.... Check out Acura, Ford/Lincoln, Volvo, VW...or are you guys too bz ...trying to figure out what line to drop next....?
  • rroyce10rroyce10 Posts: 9,359
    That site is extremely slow.....and crashes consistanly....I dont' know about Mac's...But I'm On DSL....with the P 3 chip...733 processor..and all that kinda stuff ( most i don't understand ) the only thing...it just doesnt seem to work...or complete the program...I probably go on 150 different sites a week and never get a problem....and I alway's get the same lock in..Maybe it's just me...
  • I tried to search dealer stock for a Camaro Z28 in accordance with the site's selection process. What I got was a list of every Camaro in stock. Did I want to check each one to see if it was a Z28? No! Am I annoyed? Of course!
  • leadfoot4leadfoot4 Posts: 593
    I'm interested in purchasing a new Corvette. I know that they are not stocked in large numbers by any of the dealers, so it would be convenient if I could "view dealers' inventory online".
    I realize that my computer skills aren't the greatest, but every time I've tried to do that by clicking on the "view inventory" icon, all I get is a list of the local dealers. Is it just something I'm doing wrong, or is this "feature" completely useless. I remember there was a GM television commercial that showed some potential customer all "wowed out" because he was able to locate a car this way, but I sure can't.
    It sort of makes me question why I'd want to buy a car from a company that can't even get their web site working properly.
  • agt_cooperagt_cooper Posts: 202
    leadfoot4,

you're almost there. Once you have the list of dealers, you'll notice a line that says "Select a dealer below to find your customized vehicle." What this means is, click the dealers name and a list of inventory at that dealer matching your criteria will display. If they don't have any matching cars, they'll display a message to that effect.

Good luck!!
    Thanks, I sort of overlooked that step.
  • ls1v8ls1v8 Posts: 34
    Can dealers opt out of the network? I was playing around and looking for dealers I know to be in the GM dealer network. But There nanes did not appear in my search.
    I found the same situation to be true, also. It seems that the dealers must have to request to be on the site.
  • isellpotiacisellpotiac Posts: 122
    must also have a qualified GMBuypower manager in order to be online. It was a 2 day training session put on by JD Power and was informative.
  • vadpvadp Posts: 1,025
    I don't have sponsors. Is there a way to get around that requirement?
    Thanks.
  • sonjaabsonjaab Posts: 1,057
    Sorry you must be a GM employee or family to
    get the deal . Or if you worked for a GM supplier
    Or you work for a GM dealer. Ask some folks in
    your family maybe somebody does.... you might
    luck out somehow.....They are taking almost
    5000 off the price of my new truck. But they
    cost a lot anyway.....Geo
  • kkollwitzkkollwitz Posts: 268
    and I got a $500 GM owner loyalty discount in addition to the GMcard rebate. So if you already have a GM product, you may get a loyalty discount, too.
  • Located the exact color and options we wanted with the inventory search, got a prompt price quote as requested, were cleared for GMAC financing, and bought the vehicle 10/22/01. The BuyPower Manager was the business manager, who was friendly, knowledgeable, and a pleasure to deal with. The system can be a bit cumbersome and slow, but I like the inventory search and being able to see what is available. May even switch to GM when it comes time to replace my Ranger (00, replace every 5 years) based on the purchase experience.
  • mirthmirth Posts: 1,212
    My wife used BuyPower to purchase her Alero last year. What surprised me was how many dealers responded by email. She ended up with a great price and incentive financing. Of course, her email to the dealers was polite, not "you have one hour to respond or you'll lose out on the privelege of selling me a car." ;-)
This discussion has been closed.