Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Are American Cars Coming Back In Favor?

2»

Comments

• bpeeblesbpeebles Posts: 4,085

I tried a 'domestic brand' once. (Dodge) After a few short years, it was leaking oil from several seals. The bumpers were so rusted they would not pass inspection. The brakes were undersized and were replaced nearly annually. The power-steering would not work below -9F. (could not turn steering-wheel).... I could go on.

GM taking the bailout (and never really paied it back...ever!!) was a BIG mistake. The inefficient megalith that they are was allowed to continue. Their products are throw-away cars after about 6 years.

I have never been a "Ford Guy" but they did NOT accept the bailout and actually have some impressive products now. Ford is the only 'domestic brand' I might consider.

Long ago (in the early 1970s) my Dad was a GM guy... but after 3 vehicles that ran like crap and rusted out in 2 years. He was done. One day, he saw a Chevy ad on TV saying that they were 'As good as a Honda'

That was the moment he declared "If they are going to compare themselves to Honda, then I am going to buy a Honda" .... He has owned about 10 Honda Accords since then. None of them ran like crap. None of them ever rusted-out,

Personally, I like VW which offers 12-year/Unliminted mileage corrosion warantee. Here in Vermont, I get free rust-repair on VWs dime.

• uplanderguyuplanderguy Kent, OHPosts: 7,494

Well, if you came back, you might be surprised. That's all I'm saying.

• anythngbutgmanythngbutgm Posts: 4,175

"That was the moment he declared "If they are going to compare themselves to Honda, then I am going to buy a Honda" .... He has owned about 10 Honda Accords since then. None of them ran like crap. None of them ever rusted-out,"

As a multiple owner of Hondas including 4 Accords myself, I applaud him for at buying cars which are built here in the States (Marysville, Ohio in this case).

Since this topic started, I've always wondered the mission:

"Are American cars coming back in favor".

Well, if you are buying an Accord in the states, why wouldn't you be buying an "American" car? And since it is one of the top selling cars in its segment (trailing with the Camry, built in Kentucky and the Altima, built in Tennessee) I'd say they never went out of favor... At least not since the 90's when the Ford Taurus ruled the roost.

Heck, I own an Subaru that was built in Indiana. surely those people building it are Americans. Surely those people who sold it to me were in America, Massachusetts to be exact... And when I bring it in for service, I'm not bringing it anywhere but here in the states. Same situation with all of my Hondas over the years.

Chrysler is owned by the Italians, are they still considered "American"? Well, for instance the Jeep lines are still built here and I've done plenty of work for Chrysler plants in Toledo, Warren and Trenton over the years. All those places are in the states so I'd say those are American as well, and judging by the increases in sales at Jeep, they are certainly favorable as well...

As far as VW, kudos to them that they take care of you up here. I've never heard of the rust repair for the snow belt but that certainly is a nice perk. I do however wish that they built more stuff here in the states. Off the top of my head, the only plant I know of here in the states is Chattanooga, but Industry insiders have told me that they are making a massive expansion in Tenn. as well as investigating other locations in the South for new plants. So I applaud them for realizing the need to invest in the Countries that are supporting their product.

But again, buying "American" has always been a pretty vague term to me...

Kudos again to your dad. Hopefully his Hondas continue to treat him well. Those folks in Ohio have been building great cars since the eighties.

• uplanderguyuplanderguy Kent, OHPosts: 7,494

See Steve's link a few posts up about 'American made'.

Everyone has a right to buy what they like. I would never tell somebody they're wrong or stupid for their choice.

• nancylongnancylong Posts: 6
    edited April 23

I feel same thing too that American cars are making strong comeback by offering lots of features and services to its customer. Obviously they are targeting for the better performance in automobile market.

• dieselonedieselone Posts: 5,650
    edited April 23

My God Lemko, that Caddy is begging to be driven! Unfortunately I'm pushing 16k on my '14 Ram Laramie I've had 8 mos. Knock on wood no issues so far.

Basically I buy what I like and if it turns out to be a dog, I get rid of it and move on. I think for the most part, most domestics are reliable now days.

My dad has an 09 Accord V6 that's had major problems, so it's not like the asian makes are immune to reliability issues.

• andre1969andre1969 Posts: 21,973

I can't remember, but are cars that have a "1" in the beginning of the VIN built in the US, and cars with a "J" built in Japan? I saw an Accord the other day that had that thing going on where the clearcoat burns off and exposes a chalky mess underneath. Just out of curiosity, I looked at it closely, and saw that the VIN started with a "1". So I guess that propagates the old stereotype about the Japanese-built Accords being better built than the US-built ones!

In its defense though, this was a fairly old Accord. Having a Ronald Reagan moment and forgetting the generation. I'm thinking it was either a '98-02, or and '03-05? So, anywhere between 9 and 16 years old. Once upon a time, we would have been pleasantly surprised if our cars were still on the road by that age! And, this car really caught my eye because it truly was a rarity, seeing one with the paint that bad. It was common from around 1987, when they started going to those environmentally-friendly paints, to maybe the mid/late 90's when they started getting them right, to see that peel-off, burn-through, etc. But since then, it seems like we send the cars to the junkyard at the end of their useful life, with the paint still shiny and showroom new.

@dieselone said: My God Lemko, that Caddy is begging to be driven! Unfortunately I'm pushing 16k on my '14 Ram Laramie I've had 8 mos. Knock on wood no issues so far.

I think I'm going to finally break the 10,000 mile mark on my 2012 Ram this weekend when I drive up to the Spring Carlisle swap meet. Oh, and today is the 19-month mark! Nothing has broken on it yet, but last year, it did stall out twice in the driveway, and twice it got stuck in 4th gear. But it's been on good behavior since then.

I just realized, this weekend also marks the 1 year anniversary of something really expensive breaking on my 2000 Park Ave. I was on my way up to Carlisle, when the tensioner for the belt that drives the supercharger self-destructed, sending shrapnel throughout the engine bay. It took a chunk out of the battery (didn't discover that until a week later when it finally discharged), and I think it took out a tire pressure sensor, because now it constantly warns me of low tire pressure, even though I've checked them all and they're fine. The mechanic replaced both tensioners, both belts, changed the oil, and did a few other odds and ends and the bill came out to around $1100.

So, hopefully the Park Ave will behave itself for awhile. It's up to around 98,000 miles.

• imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 18,201

@andre1969 said: it took out a tire pressure sensor, because now it constantly warns me of low tire pressure, even though I've checked them all and they're fine.

I don't think your PA has the internal pressure sensors. My 03 leSabre doesn't. It measures a low tire based on the revolutions compared to the other tires. So it depends on the same teeth in the wheel bearing hub where it counts the teeth to get the speed for the ABS and for the Traction Control (and the Stabilitrak). Have you reset the tire pressure computer on the DIC? Are you holding the button down until it says "Reset"?

I recall reading that the system reads the revolutions at 3 different speed ranges after being reset. Then uses that for the counts. It does work. Twice I've had mine warn of a low tire and it was down around 26. Trouble with the sealing on the chrome wheels when the new Michelins were put on last November.

You might have a wheel bearing problem with movement in the bearing. My bearings both started giving a Stability System error on the DIC always at low speed turning the wheel from one side to the other where the hub might move with the change in wheel position due to caster.

Hmm, i never even thought to just hold the button and see if it would reset. D'oh! I'll try it around lunchtime, and see what happens. I'm putting the car in the shop early next week, for the mechanic to change the oil, and give it a general going-over. I'll mention the bearings to him. Thanks for the info! With your advice and help, this Park Ave might have a few good years left on this earth, after all!

• imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 18,201

@andre1969 said: Hmm, i never even thought to just hold the button and see if it would reset. D'oh! I'll try it around lunchtime, and see what happens. I'm putting the car in the shop early next week, for the mechanic to change the oil, and give it a general going-over. I'll mention the bearings to him. Thanks for the info! With your advice and help, this Park Ave might have a few good years left on this earth, after all!

If you haven't done the complete reset holding it for 5 seconds until it says Reset, I wouldn't worry much about the wheel bearings movement causing a tooth not to be read. That would usually show up first as a Stability System misread with the tire changing position say from a right turn backing out of a parking slot to a left turn to pull down the aisle.

If you can't hear the bearings on smooth blacktop, you're probably okay there. There may be some movement in the bearing for the mode test garages like to use where they wobble in and out, top and bottom and then test at 3 and 9 o'clock. But the GM test is a straight in and out movement of over 0.05 inches meaning the hub bearings have wear. I used Timken brand which sources from China but has a two year warranty from Autozone. Actually had one start a light noise after 1.5 years. Replaced under warranty.

I tried the reset thing when I left work for the day a couple hours ago, and it went back to saying "Tire Pressure Normal". Probably driven about 20 miles since then, and it hasn't come back on. So, that seemed to do the trick, Thanks, Imidazol97!

• guido65guido65 Posts: 17

:) Oh yeah!! Americans can and do build great vehicles!

• nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,691

I still don't see many Chevy cars around here, in fact almost none, but Ford cars have totally taken off since the new Fusion was released, and then the new Focus and Fiesta.

The other American cars I see a lot of are the Chrysler 300, still popular after all this time. And now I am seeing a few Cadillacs, another brand making a small resurgence in the Bay Area.

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

• steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 40,575
    edited April 28

@nippononly said: The other American cars I see a lot of are the Chrysler 300

Assembled in Ontario by Fiat. :D

The first generation shared a lot of parts with the E-Class.

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

@Stever@Edmunds said: The first generation shared a lot of parts with the E-Class.

I have a feeling that it still does. The 2011+ models really aren't all-new, but more of a facelift.

• steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 40,575

I wish I had taken a pic of the Ford Transit Connect Wagon's content label that we test drove last week.

Assembled in Spain, French transmission, exported from Turkey (I think) to Baltimore, where the interiors are upgraded for passengers to avoid the Chicken Tax.

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

2»