Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Sienna Maintenance and Repair (2003 earlier)

Comments

• It's been a while since I posted here.

My Sienna has 60,000 mile, 2001 it will be 4 years old in April. I have not flushed out my brake fluid. The brakes are fine. The car still has the factory brakes good service so far I would say.

I think changing your fluid depends on the driving you do. City driving or some type of hard driving. This is not my strong point so for me it's done with the brake job I will need at some point.

On the transaxle though I have changed the fluid three times.
  • You can always check the National Highway Safety Transportation Web site. They have a ton of stuff out there on all cars sold in the US. Most of what I look for are recall campaigns, TSB, and problems people write in about. Gas tank who knows?? Also, comes in handy when buying a car.
  • lsaclsac Posts: 22
    My 98 LE has just reached 68k mi and the differential is making noise. It started light clicking like fan blade touching something during acceleration in all directions. Coasting is fine. One mechanic guesses possible missing teeth in differential gear. Another one says loose differential gear. I tend to believe loose gear after living with thise noise for nearly 1k mi. It is getting louder these days. I have that extended transaxle warranty and my VIN is included.
  • dashmandashman Posts: 2
    I am experiencing the same problem. Did you ever find the problem?
  • jasdmwjasdmw Posts: 118
    Wow, you must have dug through the archives for this one! I must have posted a question about a dash rattle years ago.

Simple answer, no, never did find it or get it fixed. To be honest, the Wife drives the van 90% of the time. I am driving a smaller car to work now, so don't spend as much time in the van as I once did.

Let us know if you get it fixed and what it could be.
  • cbatterscbatters Posts: 2
    Nearly identical sounds from our 1998 with 87K miles. (Makes rumbling sound whenever the vehicle is moving and gets louder at higher speeds.)

Never towed a trailer and fluid was changed at 65K and looked fine.

First round with the dealer - they said it is NOT covered under the slipping / no-movement 100K warranty. Still waiting to hear back from Tooyota Motors USA.

Any updates from your side?

Clint
  • cj55cj55 Posts: 1
    I have a noise in the right front end of my 98 sienna, 130K. It started around a year ago. dealer said it was the tires, replaced tires, still have the noise. it is getting louder, especially when taking corners, and at 35 - 50 mph. any suggestions as to what is making the noise?
  • deepandeepan Posts: 342
    I thought most Toyota engines were non interfering ones but i heard this one is. Can someone comment on this.
  • nathanmnathanm Posts: 8
    I have a 98 toyota sienna the check engine light came on at around 115,000 miles a computer scan at the local parts store said it was a shift module in the transmission . anyone else had this problem and if so what is my best course of action? can this be repaired at home in my garage or is this something internal on the transmission? thanks for any help.
  • liorkliork Posts: 1
    i got a Sienne 2001. at one of the snowing morning i use the front heat to defreeze the windshield. i use it for a long time (40-50min). i wasn't driving that car the same day however at the evening i notice a crack all over the front windshield (and it wasn't a 'star' type that may lead to a stone or other hit - just a crack line..)

I wonder if someone got any experience getting a crack due to heat of the windshield? I can't think of any other idea how could that happen as the car was standing at my house road access all day...
  • richlewrichlew Posts: 1
    JNCTECH,

thanks a bunch for the tip. Resetting the fuse worked for me too. I'll see how the van behaves from this point on. have you gotten the check engine light since? I wonder if our symptoms indicate that there is no problem with our oxygen sensors? Any insight would be appreciated.
  • ace01ace01 Posts: 2
    I just purchased a 2000 XLE and have the same problem with the driver's side power window. (Funny how this never happened when I checked the vehicle before buying it).
    Once it is all the way down, it takes its time to close fully, does in within a few minutes.
    Did you ever find out the problem? Or anyone in this forum?
    I have read switches were replaced, is this switch accessible and where can I buy one?
    Thank you.
    i can cetainly say what you experienced is true. I had an old Camry and a small stone chip basically expanded across the windshield. There was one moment when i saw this happen. (maybe a couple of inches). I try and use defrost/floor mix so as to reduce this phenomenon. i beleive there mightve been a stone chip to start things off.
  • davenowdavenow Posts: 171
    ...most likely you got nailed, and you only took notice when it started to propigate...

IMHO -
    sorry to hear your bad luck...
  • freebirdfreebird Posts: 77
    The power window motor needs to be replaced. I think it is around $250 for the part. Takes about a hour to replace it.

Sooner or later it will get stuck in the down position. Of course, if it is not raining when this happens you can count yourself as fortunate.
  • rocky007rocky007 Posts: 3
    yes all u have to do is change the a/f sensor on b1 s 1 and clear the light by either taking the efi fuse out or disconnecting the battery cable for awhile or with a diag tester jus remember that on v6 3.0 siennas the #1 bank is the one in the back not the front
    you might check the outside rain cowl that is what it usually is but sounds like its on the inside
    no the v6 3.0 engines are not interference engines but the new 3.3s and the 03 and up 3.0s are interference
    i was told by a dealer/rep on another forum that the sienna engine was a interference one. i will have to clarify this. isnt the 03 engine the same one as previous yrs with slight modifications.(i.e pcv etc)
  • ace01ace01 Posts: 2
    Thanks for the info.
  • sosososo Posts: 1
    Dear Sienna owner,

We own a 1998 Sienna and are having "sludge" troubles. Can you provide me more info re: engine sludge warranty?
    Thanks so much,

Going nuts in Chwk, Steve
    the engine sludge warranty is for 8yrs unlimited km as long as you can show them that regular oil changes were done you should be fine.
  • scoti1scoti1 Posts: 676
    Yes, the sludge policy (I don't think it is really a warranty, per se) is for 8 years, unlimited miles, but you must show proof of reasonable maintenance. For the Sienna, it covers 1997 - 2002 models. At one point, Toyota was accepting proof of one oil change per year as reasonable, but since the manual is a little stricter than this, I am not sure what current policy is. The 8 years is from the date of original purchase from Toyota and is transferable to future owners. It is to cover all costs including incidentals, such as a loaner or rental car while yours is in the shop. For the letter sent by Toyota to all owners of the subject vehicles, you can go to http://www.autosafety.org./article.php?scid=&did=566
  • cbatterscbatters Posts: 2
    Same whining noise but the local dealer / Toyota rep say it is not covered under the 100K warranty which covers slipping / no movement - not whining differential.

1998 Sienna LE - 86K miles - ATF changed at 60K - was still nice and pink. Fluid with 27K is less pink and more amber in color but certainly not brown.

Sendfing in an oil sample to document conditon of oil and transaxle problem.

Any suggestions / insight on why yours was covered and they are gioving me a had time. (Numerous posts seem to indicate the only way to get service is to scream!)

Clint
  • Against my better judgement, I should have known not to buy power sliding doors - Just asking for repair issues. My 2001 Sienna XLEs Driver side sliding door stopped working a few weeks back. Knowing that the motor(Power control unit) was ridiculously expensive, I was thankful to discover that the thin cable that pulls the door closed had snapped, and nothing was wrong with the motor(Fully tested). The loose cable however did cause the opening cable to get damaged/tangled as well, So I realized all that needed to be replaced were the 2 cables(Can't be that expensive right). Come to find out that Toyota will not sell me just the cables, but wants me to replace the entire power control unit(Even though nothing is wrong with it), for a cost of $1050. Talk about a ripoff - I refuse to pay that for 2 simple cables that should cost under $30. Cannot believe Toyota will not sell those parts separately. The Power Control unit is made by Delphi systems who supplies most of the Power Sliding Door Units for the auto industry, and I have tried calling them with no luck of talking to anybody(As they only deal with the manufacturers).

Overall, I have to tell you that my 2001 Toyota Sienna XLE which only has 57k miles on it, has been the biggest disappointment as far as quality - The van has had its share of issues(most covered under warranty), not to mention the sludge defect. Overall, it just doesn't feel as solid as other vehicles I've owned, that I will most likely never buy another Toyota again.

Sorry to rant, but anybody have any ideas on my door cable issue. I know many people have had to replace the power door unit on these models, so there must be extra cables floating around somewhere other than Toyota.
  • jkwanusjkwanus Posts: 1
    check engine light
  • My 01 Sienna has had the following problems:
    Rear vent window almost fell out and had to be repaired
    Front driver's door bolt keeps coming out - door makes loud cracking sound when opened
    Excessive tire wear
    Brake problems - shimmy with braking, I am taking it in tomorrow for this (again)
    Driver's side power window motor replaced when car was about 2 months old because stopped working
    Right now the brake issue is my biggest concern. Does anyone know if this is covered by a technical service bulletin? I am not keen on spending a lot of money on this apparently common problem. The van does have 97,000 miles on it. Other than these problems it's a good van.
  • Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,018
    This article may be helpful for you.

Getting Some Lemon-Aid From Your Lemon Maker

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

• snowheresnowhere Posts: 1
    I got a crack in my windshield from a quick change in the temperature.