Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Sienna Maintenance and Repair (2003 earlier)

Comments

• Sienna 2000 le, 53k miles, dealer tells us the ABS actuator pump needs replacing....$1779.00!! I am a very cautious driver, have never had an instance where ABS came into play. I think the dealer is trying to rip me off,anybody ever have a similar problem??
  • smfransmfran Posts: 432
    Brought my 2000 Sienna LE to my dealer for an oil change and sticking driver's side slider. Sometimes the slider would be so stuck it would not open, then it would work after some time passed; other times it would work fine for days only to get stuck again. After they found remnants of an orange soda spill under the cup holder with seepage into the door track, they cleaned and lubricated the tracks and mechanism and it now it opens and slides like brand new. They thanked me for being such a good loyal customer and sent me on my way; only charging me for the oil change.
  • Just checking out the thread and I must have missed your inquiry the first time.

Yes, you can go longer than 5K with M1 oil but I just want to have an analysis done by Blackstone before moving beyond 5K - just being cautious although if I went a little long I wouldn't be sweating bullets.
  • deepandeepan Posts: 342
    I infact took it to the dealer nearly couple of yrs ago and they said it was design intent. Go figure. This is the only vehicle that i have driven with this "feature". I have chked a few other sienna's and its there. I hardly notice it now but it was a spot of bother initially.
  • I tend to agree with "Thewolverine". Any good Synthetic should last more than 5k miles. I've been running anywhere from 5k-8k per half year on my family's cars with Mobil 1 (5 cars in the past 8 years).

However, with the Sienna allegedly having higher running temps and people complaining about sludge (in the past), 5k miles is just a conservative figure that I chose. Between spending $4-$5 per quart of oil or going through the aggrevation of having to prove that the oil changes were done and then having to wait for an engine replacement or rebuild, it is just cheap insurance.
  • dtownfbdtownfb Posts: 2,915
    Since youwere only 10 days over pj15, I would make a call to the district or regional manager and explain the situation to them. $1200 is a good bit of change and it is only 10 days over. Also was this a certifeid used vehicle? If it was then the powertrain is covered for a longer period of time. I wouldn't pay this bill so easily. It's aworth a shot to make some more phone calls. The news can't get any worst.
  • I have a 2003 Sienna LE and am encountering interference when using a store bought OEM TV/VCR combo. I get a high pitched whine from my 12 volt plugged in device that increases with engine RPM's when the device is being used. I do not get this interference when using the same device in my Tacoma or Camry. I have tried all three power outlets in the Sienna.
  • jp123jp123 Posts: 1
    The power passenger door warning light shows that the door is open and beeps when I go from Park to Drive. The door is shut. I have taken the van in 3 times for this. The warning light will come on for a few days and then go away. The door will also open and close all on its own when I have just started the car. I have to turn the power door off to get it to stop. They told me nothing is wrong. They clean the connectors and it works ok then it starts up again. Has anyone else had this problem?
  • deg856deg856 Posts: 120
    Not a real problem - just an FYI: Got a lemon-sized dent and some associated scratches in the right corner of the front bumper. Replacing (parts and labor) the bumper took 3 days (only 2 days were needed if the bodyshop had gotten the right bumper from the dealer the first time around) and cost $900. The bodyshop writeup guys said the cost for rear bumper (painted) replacement would be similar.

San Jose, CA
  • lsaclsac Posts: 22
    I had installed OEM RS3000 on my 98 Sienna. The manual tells how to turn on/off Piezo, auto lock/unlock, passive mode, valet and etc. I assume most OEM alarms do have both active and passiave modes. When I bought my 95 Maxima in 94, besides OEM alarm, dealer had insisted to install a passive alarm.
  • lsaclsac Posts: 22
    I had read some problem regarding erratic alarm behavior. I figure it is similar to garage openers. Some openers may open itself with no reason. It may happen in the night. The next morning, it is like "did I forget something last night?". In that case, reset openers and add remote back to openers' memory. Same could be done to car alarm, but security ECU is so deep buried and involves some amount of labor.
  • Has any heard of a spark plug breaking in a Sienna leading to damage requiring a new engine?

In addition I have an extended warranty that Toyota refuses to honor saying they don't cover spark plugs. However, all the research I've done says that engine problems with fuel ratios, pre-ignition or detonation lead to spark plug failure. If that's the case then the engine caused the spark plug to brake and then caused the damage. Any advice on how to deal with Toyota would be appreciated. By the way my Toyota is a 98 with only 60K miles.
  • sbisssbiss Posts: 9
    Anyone experienced any brake issues with their Siennas? I am not talking about squeaks, but about rusted caliper slide bolts. When I changed the front pads, I practically had to pound out one caliper slide bolt. Apparently water had intruded and rusted the bolt. My dealer acted like this was not uncommon, other than it being a bolt on the passenger side front wheel, instead of the driver's front.

In case you are wondering, the symptoms of this problem are very similar to a warped rotor, as this is usually the result of the caliper not moving freely.
  • My wife has a 1997 Sienna with 48,000 miles. For the past year or so she says she hears a small clunk, clunk, clunk when applying the brakes. Most noticeable at lower speeds. Sound APPEARS to be coming from the right rear. A new set of tires at 46,000 miles didn't affect the sound either way. Any ideas or suggestions as to what would cause this sound and what the cure might be? Thanks.
  • cied2cied2 Posts: 3
    Iv'e been noticing more Siennas (since it happened to mine)with that telltale big dimple in the corner of the rear bumper. This no doubt happens because of the lack of "postive feel" when backing up and hitting another object. In my case it was a fire plug that I just kept slowly backing into. My cars with metal braced bumpers never presented this problem. I am of course very careful now with the Sienna, however, I do consider this to be a design flaw which resulted in undue damage to my vehicle. Does anyone else feel as I do? Is Toyota doing anything to give their bumpers positive feedback to the driver? Finally, is there a fix for these ugly dimples that is relatively cheap? Thanx for any and all responses.
    I've posted regarding this design flaw in the past, and even mentioned it to the service department at our dealer when my wife barely tapped a tree while backing up and pushed in the corner of her bumper. No one ever acknowledges that a design flaw exists. I have seen countless Siennas and Camrys as well as other Toyotas with a pushed in rear corner bumper. The design flaw is that there is no reinforcement behind the bumper in the corner area. Wherever the bumper is straight, there is a white reinforcing material behind it. The way my dealer fixed it (at no charge as a courtesy) was to remove the bumper and apply heat to the area and "pop" it out. Short of that, it is expensive to replace the bumper.
  • jasdmwjasdmw Posts: 118
    Unfortunately, all new vehicles produced for the NA market have the same bumper design. What you see on the outside of the vehicle is a called bumper cover, a faux facia that looks good but doesn't protect anything. The actual bumper is generally a piece of high density styrofoam mounted behind this cover, but located in the center of the car. They do not wrap around like the bumpers of old.

I too have noticed cars with damaged covers, but these are not restricted to Toyota. It's not a design flaw. The cause of it is more in line with the vehicle operator. I had a similar occurance with my '92 Caravan. Just came a little too close to a curb. Easiest way to remedy the dent is to heat it slightly with a hair dryer and push it out from behind. Easiest way to prevent the dent is to avoid the curbs. You can install an aftermarket sensor system to warn you of impending obstacles when backing up. I'm sure it will be available on the '04's. Ford is putting them in the front bumper covers on their next model year vans in addition to the rears.
  • my 2k sienna le was also the victim of my backing into a concrete column (luckily not another car) crunching the drivers side rear bumper, dinging the metal below the tail light and destroying the outboard lens.
    The bumper has a 2 inch cut in it from the steel support underneath;
    With some patience you can take the cover off (i did it in about 15 minutes). It is held on by a bunch of plactic fasteners that are reusable (push the center of each fastener in about 1/4 inch to release the fastener, pry out the fastener from the edge; install: reset the center to be 1/4 inch ABOVE the surface of the fastener, press fastener into the mounting hole, then tap the center flush to attach the fastener), and 4 10mm bolts ( two under the lift gate, and one under each rear wheel well - use a 12" extention to get to these under the back edge of the wheelwell liner)
    I popped it off, and in a soft grassy area to avoid scratches, stepped onto it from the inside and popped it out) Reinstallation was easy.
    The cut in the plastic and some scratches are still there; just got a bumper sticker.
    good luck
  • ahujasu - I have also had a similar experience. My 1998 Sienna, perfectly maintained with factory maintence, has also needed a total engine rehaul after apparent spark plug faliure.
    Regardless what jasdmw states in post 2283, The design of the bumper is flawed. There should be reinforcement behind the corners to avoid the disproportionate damage that occurs by slightly hitting something at less than 3 MPH.
    I have seen this result in other vehicles but in a much higher percentage of Toyotas; particularly Siennas.
    Of course damage is avoided if the "vehicle operator" doesn't hit something. Unfortunately these things do happen but the bumper should absorb the impact.