Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Sienna Maintenance and Repair (2003 earlier)

Comments

• jeproxjeprox Posts: 466
    usually in minivans, they have tether or built-in carseat only on one side (driver side) for the middle bench. this is mainly for safety reason. if you place a carseat on the right side of the middle bench, the carseat can slide off the bench when you turn or brake suddenly coz' of the walk-space between the bench and the right side sliding door. if you place the carseat behind the driver, it's up against the left door which is more secure and this is why you only have tether's for only one side for the middel bench.

in some minivans, they have 3 sets of tether for the rear bench, some have only 2 sets, some dont have any at all! my 1999 model don't have any. sienna is one of the safest minivans out there. as long as your child sits properly, booster seat is anchored down properly... everything should be ok. if in doubt, you can always ask your dealer to check if your booster seat is anchored down properly.

as for the belt locking up, my belts sometimes lock-up when move the carseat. i just release the belt and pull gently across and its fine.

i'm 5'10" - 5'11" and don't have any problems with the visor hitting my head
  • deepandeepan Posts: 342
    my 00 has tether anchors behind both 2nd row seat(bench). However what i have done is go to home depot buy 6-8" of steel wire and use a screw that holds both ends of the wire(name fails me) in a circle. if you look underthe seat there is a metal cross bar and this wire basically wraps around it. The tether anchor clips onto this wire. Only advantage is that the 3rd row has free spce foranyone wanting to sit without getting the legs all tangled. The steel wire aint breaking.
    you can buy these belts at toys r us designed for car seat/booster seat to be used with the tether anchors. i've also seen them at canadian tire stores.

as soon as i figure out a way to use the cross bar you mentioned, i will buy the belts to anchor down the car seat properly.
  • cliffy1cliffy1 Posts: 3,581
    I moved back to my old home in Springfield back in November of 2000. I moved into the finance office here in September of 2001 after a nasty boating accident involving an anchor rope that our host Steve likes to remind me about from time to time.
  • liss31liss31 Posts: 3
    I have been reading all of the posts on the 2000 Sienna. I did not realize there have been so many issues with the model. My 1st transmission failed at 41,000 miles and now my 2nd one has failed at only 16,000 miles. I don't know what to do. They are replacing it becuase it is still under warranty but I think they should extend my powertrain warranty. This is supposed to be a safe and dependable car. Is there anything I can do? I called customer relations, they told me they can't help me. Where is the customer service they talk about? I am at 57, 000 miles and on my 3rd transmission, they want to leave me to pay for another failure after 60000. that is not right. Any advice would be appreciated.
  • duckshooterduckshooter Posts: 156
    There seem to be a lot of issues because there are a lot of these vehicles on the road! But if you look at the range of complaints, most appear to be in the annoyance level - brake squeal, rattle, seat belt tension. There are a few others in the more severe category as well, but with as many of these vehicles as there are, you should expect to find some problems here and there. Keep in mind that most folks (like yourself) only post here if they have a problem!

My advice is that you need to find out why the transmission is failing. Problems like you've had are an extreme exception - I haven't seen anything similar in here so it just doesn't sound right. Has the shop given you any explanation of what failed in the transmission? Do you pull a trailer? Your miles are a little high for a 2000 (approx 20K per year) - what kind of miles are these? I would think it wise to get at the root cause of the failure or (as you said) you may be facing it again.

Please check into it and let us know what you find.
    Thanks Duckshooter. I have asked toyota why the tranmissions have failed. They only take them out and put in a new one. They don't look to see why they fail. Yes there are quite a few miles on my van. Driving around town, taking road trips to NH (north Conway), my dad lives in the Berkshires 120m there and 120m back. I use my vehicle for everything, everywhere I go I drive. I don't pull a trailer. I did read somewhere about the tork converter being bad in my model and maybe that could have been it on the 1st tranny, but the second. I am pulling out my hair.
  • deepandeepan Posts: 342
    sienna manufactured. May-jul 00 models had issues with transmission. Just curious
    I bought the car in september of 1999. So it had to be manufactured around that time. I don't know how long it takes to make it and then get it to the dealer?
  • duckshooterduckshooter Posts: 156
    That's frustrating. But I'm sure somebody at the dealer or at Toyota corporate would at least suspect why the transmission failed. That's not an inexpensive repair.

What's the warranty on the parts/labor? One year? That would probably extend you a little beyond your current warranty.

Also - did you have any transmission service done on the original transmission? I can't recall when it's due exactly, but I think it's before 36,000 miles.
  • yamanyaman Posts: 113
    I can't recall reading about many transmission problems on the Sienna.We get our transmission fluid changed every 15k miles.Probably more than needed but paying for a new tranny is expensive.Maybe try doing 15k changes.Good luck
  • deg856deg856 Posts: 120
    "usually in minivans, they have tether or built-in carseat only on one side (driver side) for the middle bench. this is mainly for safety reason. if you place a carseat on the right side of the middle bench, the carseat can slide off the bench when you turn or brake suddenly coz' of the walk-space between the bench and the right side sliding door. if you place the carseat behind the driver, it's up against the left door which is more secure and this is why you only have tether's for only one side for the middel bench."

The reason you gave above is totally false. A properly installed carseat should stay in place and barely move even during a carsh, so there is no chance for it to slide off during braking/turning, no matter how hard you brake or turn. If you have to rely on the door/side to hold the carseat in place, you haven't installed it right and it can be very dangerous for the child sitting it in. The second row center (only with a bench; can't do it with captain chairs, which are mounted on either side with a center walk-through) is actually the safest location since it's got the most crumple zone all around it.

They put the only teather anchor on the driver side because putting the carseat behind the driver makes it easier for other passengers to get in/out from the curb (passenger) side. The manual says additional anchor can be installed by the dealer.

San Jose, CA
  • smfransmfran Posts: 432
    We still love our 2000 Sienna and only have one complaint. No matter how many times we clean the (non-power) driver's side sliding door and tracks it continues to periodically stick. We don't drink in the van so the possibility of spilling sticky juice or whatever is not possible. We've had the dealer adjust/clean/lubricate again and again to no avail. Sometimes it sticks so tight you practically have to rip the handle off to open it. Then it will be fine for awhile and happen again.
    Any thoughts?
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,968
    The Odyssey people use some special grease for their sticky sliders - Shin-itsu or something. Might try a Honda parts department for some.

Steve, Host
    thank you very much for pointing that out.
    Any thoughts as to why it is just the driver's side this happens to? Also, why would it be stuck so tight then be OK for a while? For example, It will be stuck shut so I drive to the dealer. When I get there it opens easily. It's embarrassing!
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,968
    Who knows - maybe there's a tiny adjustment issue that only shows up when some of the seats are occupied. Ok, that's a pretty wild guess :-)

Steve, Host
    some of the seats occupied, no.
    I can't imagine the seats having anything to do with the sliding door. I believe it has to be something in the latching mechanism that shifts or alters its position while driving and effects the opening of the door. Lately it hasn't gotten stuck so I'm waiting to see when it happens again.
  • dcs4dcs4 Posts: 1
    My 2000 XLS sienna has the same issue with the door. It has nothing to do with stickiness or grease. It is intermittent. My wife wanted me to take it in to the dealer. I procrastinated and now it's working just fine. Flipping the locks (lock to unlock) doesn't help. I will say it is annoying..
  • wayside1wayside1 Posts: 36
    My Windstar used to do this, although I haven't noticed it yet in my Sienna.

The problem seemed to be with the weatherstripping around the door. Under certain conditions (like if the van was left out in the sun) the weatherstripping would form a seal with the door that made it extremely difficult to open. Once you got it open, you could close it and reopen it immediately with no problem.

My theory was the heat was making the weatherstripping expand, causing it to either seal to the door (making it hard to open) or causing pressure in/on the latch mechanism, in effect jamming the door. As soon as the door is opened, the seal is broken or the pressure is relieved, and then the problem goes away.