Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Sienna Maintenance and Repair (2003 earlier)

Comments

• edwardh5edwardh5 Member Posts: 130
    Sounds safety related - you should report it to NHTSA.

Possible cause is prior wheel rotation by someone else using an air impact wrench - those easily put out 300 ft pounds
  • fischdafischda Member Posts: 272
    Did you do the rotations yourself? What failed? Did the studs (posts) snap off? Or did they get stripped? Did the nuts break in two? Even if your torque wrench was bad, you'd have to be Arnold Schwartzenegger to break studs. And an impact wrench that put's out that much torque would be pretty huge too - most are set around 100-125 ft. lbs.
  • katokatokatokato Member Posts: 3
    Thanks Leslieldf for your response.
    Ye,s my car was manufactured in 07/99.
    The diagnostics did indicate the P0770, I asked the service manager and he confirmed.
    The new transmission I had installed over my Thanksgiving vacation is the *good* transmission, this was verified by the service manager.
    He called Toyota and they have a case opened up on this reoccurring problem.
    Toyota had him run additional tests. Toyota recommended that a shielded wire be installed, thinking that for some reason the code is being set incorrectly (bad wire?). They flushed my transmission and said all looks good.
    I got the service managers cell phone and was instructed to call immediately if the check engine light comes on. He also asked me to come back for a check-up in one week.
    I guess time will tell.
    I also asked reported the car is pulling to the right so they did an alignment, surprisingly they didn't charge me for it.
  • 1846618466 Member Posts: 46
    I have a question about the proper drain procedure when changing the fluid. I have the Toyota shop manual for the Sienna and it states nothing about draining fluid thru the differential drain plug.(read some posts about removing this plug). It just states remove the plug on the transmission pan, drain fluid and install then add 3.7 quarts of Dextron III. Any input would be appreciated.
  • bob57bob57 Member Posts: 302
    Wow, I hung out in the Mazda section too much. You "Tranny, Pilot, etc., people definitely have all the fun.
    Out of curiosity, are the major transmission failures (seemingly, from what I've read)) concentrated in the northern part of the US or are some of you in the south? I'm in Texas and haven't heard of (limited, of course) of any Sienna friends having the same problem with the transmissions down here. I have a 2000 Sienna, low miles, and very happy with it. I also have a 2001 MPV, again, low miles, and happy with that one too so far (my wife won it!).
    She loves her Toyo and so do the 500 soccer kids she hauls around - mud & all. One complaint - I'm scared to take a trip in it for fear of falling asleep since it's so smooth. Not that the Mazda is a jitter bug, but the Sienna is a much more "refined" van.
    BTW, we purchased the Sienna because the Ody's were priced waaay too high and the dealers don't budge an inch. My Toyo dealer has probably called me 10 times asking if I'm happy, any problems, etc. I took it in for a rear window wiper replacement. They fell all over themselves, said it was under warranty, and sent me on my way with a new one. No big deal but I wonder if Chrysler or Ford would do that...? Hmmmm.
  • upthecreekupthecreek Member Posts: 2
    edwardh5 and fischda - thanks for the responses!
    The main problem has been nuts breaking in two, but several studs have also been "stretched" and/or broken. A local mechanic (that I trust completely), and a Toyota dealership, have been the only ones to work on the van. They blame each other for damaging the studs and nuts. Toyota replaced all ten front studs and nuts (costing me $291.55) a couple of months ago. (The machinist said the nuts on the front would logically fail first since they are under the most pressure).
    When the van was taken in for another oil change and tire rotation two weeks ago (and under my direct supervision) a nut on one of the rear wheels broke - under 90 lbs of torque!
    This looks to be a continuing problem. :-(
  • roberts12roberts12 Member Posts: 2
    Having problem with passenger sliding door (not power) sticking when first attempt to open. Been to dealer twice. Says road sand and salt causes probelm--worse in winter. Dealer has seen this in a lot of Siennas. Any suggestions?
    upthecreek - I simply am astonished that a lug nut broke under only 90 ft. lbs. No way! It's got to be defective parts - no other explanation. Even if you torqued them at 150 they shouldn't break. Let us know if you solve the mystery.

roberts12 - a month ago we had a sticky passenger's sliding door. Lots of snow, slush, sand and salt here in Dayton, OH. So I've been washing the van every week (an automatic wash with undercarriage spray) to keep the junk off the frame and body. Voila, no more sticky door.
  • cblake2cblake2 Member Posts: 53
    "Roberts12," if you research the archives on the Sienna van, you will find numerous "sticking sliding door" posts. We had the problem so badly on our '99 van that we were using two hands to pull the door open. I know several others here who have had the same thing happen.

What did Toyota say? It said that the sticking door was the result of spilled drinks. It has told countless others that this is the problem. Interesting that it is winter and now the culprit becomes snow and salt. What does it tell those in the south? At any rate, it is an owner problem with these explanations when in fact, the problem is very common. If I were you, I would not accept that theory until proven.

Charlene Blake
    cblake@erols.com
  • pilot13pilot13 Member Posts: 283
    If you take your Sienna to the dealer and show them the problem, and if your van is within warranty, I'm sure they will make an effort to correct the problem.
    An alternative would be to take the van to a reputable collision repair shop and request a diagnosis and estimate to correct it.
    Sticky side doors on vans is a fairly common situation and can usually be corrected with either minor adjustment or lubrication-or both.
    The only advice you will get from Ms. Blake will be to "Look real hard until you find someone to support my position that all Toyota products are worthless, and then get back to me with that evidence".
    Good luck with your Sienna--it's a great product!
  • mitchelledmitchelled Member Posts: 4
    Could buy a Senna for this reason!

Now way to fold up the middle row of seats if the front seats are all the way back! Dumb and is the main reason why I wouldn't buy a Sienna....bought an Odyssey instead!
  • chusochuso Member Posts: 1
    I just got my 2001 Sienna a week ago. The whole time I have been openning and closing the power sliding door using the "Keyless Entry" feature. Yesterday, when trying to close the power sliding door manually, I just realized that it took a good force to "yank" the door out of its latch and then the door will automatically close by itself. Pulling the door handle alone will not unlatch or activate the closing action. I have seen it on the Honda Odyssey that you only need to pull the door's handle and the door will be unlatched and close itself. The Sienna's left sliding door (non-powerred) will unlatch if the handle is pulled. Can some Sienna owners confirm if they experienced the same thing?
    Thanks,
  • 2muchmoney12muchmoney1 Member Posts: 4
    my 2001 will open AND close by itself , what kind of bull is posted here , sounds like alot of people who bought Hondas regret it now , CONSUMER REPORT now reports TOYOTA is the MOST reliable van on the market
    Just thought I'd stick my $.02 in at this point, and say "Amen" to 2muchmoney1's post.
    Isn't is curious that JD Power essentially says the same?
    Just a thought, but perhaps some of those Toyota Bashers out there with those horrendous tales of woe, are predominantly idealists who expect all things to match their concept of what's perfect in life. Perhaps what they need is an exorcism to rid their Toyota products of the demons which seem to have possessed them?
    (Just kidding!).
    Thanks to 2muchmoney1 for some good news for a change.
  • enetheneth Member Posts: 285
    No manufactured product is 100% perfect, 100% of the time - and if you're the one who gets the defective Toyota, all the statistics in the world don't matter.

That said, your _odds_ of getting a defective Toyota Sienna are far smaller than they are of getting a defective Caravan, Voyager, Windstar, etc. So while you can't eliminate risk, you can reduce it.
    Your point is well taken, and a valid observation. My remarks about Toyota bashers were more directed towards those chronic complainers who seem to have exprerenced every problem in the book (And some which aren't there yet!) with all the vehicles they've ever owned, and who now own Toyotas. I think you know who I mean.
    As an aside, did you ever hear the analogy about the three kinds of liars----Liars, Damn Liars, and Statistics?
  • cblake2cblake2 Member Posts: 53
    Some time back I had the inner tie rods replaced on my van after hearing whining with left turns. Now, the power steering noise is louder and occurs with turns right or left. The noise is loudest on start up. Originally, I was supposed to have the entire rack and pinion replaced, but then I was told it would not be. My question is, has anyone had the inner tie rods replaced only to go and have the entire rack and pinion done later? If so, did it resolve the problem?

This week I had a scary occurrence with the ABS. There was a mere dusting of snow on the ground (the non-sticking, powdery variety). I was traveling very slowly up to a four-way stop and applying steady, constant pressure to the brake pedal (I did not stomp on it or pump it). My wheels locked rather abruptly and I heard an awful grinding sound. After this, I proceeded to slide through the stop sign with my foot all the way down on the pedal!

Needless to say, it causes me concern. I do not think that the ABS needed to be activated in this case, but even so, the wheels locked making the situation much worse. I was lucky that I could coast and avoid hitting anything in my path. Had I been going faster, this would not have been the case.

I have seen posts from others about grinding brakes. I'd like to know more about that. I have had the rear brake drums replaced once. I hear a "thump" upon braking when backing up at times now. Could others comment about any unusual brake occurrences? One Avalon owner spoke about hydroplaning through a small amount of water....this sounds like s similar reaction of the ABS to me. Perhaps it is a sensor problem?

Thank you for your response.

Charlene Blake
    cblake@erols.com
  • siennastinkssiennastinks Member Posts: 3
    While returning from a vacation in Florida, the transmission on our 2000 Toyota Sienna went out. Our van was towed to a dealership in Ft. Pierce where it still remains. Those of you who have had tranmission problems--how long did it take for your replacement and did anyone tell you that the replacement transmission has a "fix?" There was also another 2000 Sienna at the same dealership which had an Ontario license plate. I suspect the same problem, although they wouldn't admit it.
  • zsurferzsurfer Member Posts: 7
    In response to 576:

My van was towed in to Ann Arbor Toyota on the 2nd of January with failed transmission. I was told that the "new" transmission would be ordered and my van will be ready in a couple of days. Well couple of days later (on Jan 04), when I called to check on my van, I was informed that the transmission was on backorder and my vehicle will not be ready until Jan 19th.

And also by the way, the transmission is not going to be new but a factory remanufactured.

So I ended up driving back to IL in the loaner provided by Toyota and will be returning to MI to pickup my van once ready.
  • iforgotitiforgotit Member Posts: 11
    Pilot13, why don't you give it a break and keep quiet unless you have something constructive/informative/supportive to say? Not everyone has been as fortunate as you to receive a perfect Toyota. People should be able to post their concerns here without your bloody permission/approval. I've owned a Sienna since March '98 and by your standards I am a "Toyota Basher with horrendous tales of woe". Well, here is my woeful tale then. My Toyota is not perfect like yours. I brought it back to the dealer 3 time to fix a dash squeak, once to replace the front pads and rotors at 3000 km, three times to have a steering pull corrected, twice to fix the sliding passeger side door, once to fix the sliding driver's side passenger door, odour from A/C, squeaks from sliders, squeak from drums, stuck lock button on slider, etc. I tell them not to rotate my tires anymore since if they do, the steering pull problem will reoccur. All this back and forth to the various dealerships has cost me a lot in time and lost wages and also quite a bit of stress. Also, not every dealership is as understanding and accomodating as yours, some dealers simply refuse to do anything for you, so more time is spent taking it to a different dealership.

Put yourself in a "Toyota Basher's" shoes. Imagine, if you could, that you owned a Toyota with a myriad of problems which required countless trips to the dealer to be repaired. Imagine the dealer telling you that a perceived problem is "normal" when you know it is not normal. Imagine your tranny breaking in the middle of no where leaving you stranded by the side of the road. Why don't you refrain from bashing those with legitimate complaints and concerns about the quality, or lack there of, of their expensive vehicles? It really isn't called for and doesn't add anything to your credibility.

Btw, the name of this form is Toyota Sienna Problems, not Toyota Sienna Love-in. If you don't like the "chronic complaining" then don't read them!
  • yu4yu4 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1999 Senna EL. Bought it at Dubbin Honda, CA. The transmission went out at 9K-10K on Why 5. It's a good thing I was able to drive back to my home town to get it fixed. I am waiting till I hit 18k-20k to see if the transmission will go out again. For those of you who would like to purchase a Toyota Factory Warranty, go to www.toyotawarranty.com. They have the best price so far for a true Toyota Dealer Factory Warranty. It is $900.00 for the 6yr/100,000k (Platinum). I'm planning to buy one. It's unfortunate that dealers are not willing to offer people with the free extended warranty. I think I will contact the National Traffic Safety Administration as well. I agree with Ray that all Sienna owners should file a case with them. It may lead to what Firestone is going through (cover up). By the way, Sienna's do come in Firestone tires. I have always owned Hondas, but when I decided to buy a van, the Odessey had a six months waiting list, so I decided on the Sienna because it look nice. This was my first Toyota and will be my last. I wrote this on my new car survey to Toyota and of course, never heard back from them therefore, they will never hear from me for a new/used car again.
  • slesssless Member Posts: 10
    I love my 98 Sienna and all-in-all it is fabulous. The little things that have gone wrong, sliding door doesn't secure open, brakes make horrible noise and grind, rear door relocks itself if not opened fast enough (all the others stay unlocked) and the material on some of the headrests keeps coming apart. I would definately buy another Toyota and the Sienna has really held its value, which is a real plus. What I don't like is dealing with the local dealership, so much is "normal" to them when I know these problems could be fixed. And now with some vibration at 65mph, they again can't find anything wrong. I'm moving on to a Lexus is search of the more perfect vehicle. It's always a gamble.
  • quichemanquicheman Member Posts: 4
    Hi all,
    First posting after purchasing my 2000 Sienna back in May. I've have several annoyances, all thankfully small.
    1. Power Slider squels like somebody is skinning a cat.
    2. ABS light comes on intermittently (dealer was unable to locate problem).
    3. Brakes make a cracking/clunking sound when applied in reverse.
    4. Biggest concern: When lifting off the accelerator, a slight hesitation can be detected... it feels like the parking brake is on. At first I thought it might just be high drag coefficient, until I noticed it is correlated with a precipitous drop in engine speed (down to 1000 rpm) and then it shoots back up. Again, dealer can't seem to find anything wrong.

Anybody else experience any of these?

Thanks!
    quicheman@home.com
  • dardson1dardson1 Member Posts: 696
    Although I don't have many miles (3k) on my Sienna, I've begun to understand all the praise for Toyota (never been a Toyota driver as I found them a bit over-priced, under optioned, and a little short in the fun-to-drive department). I've had no problems so I could change my mind, but so far, it's good...not perfect but very,very good. I think I've read that review a hundred times....Toyota's are not great at anything, but very, very good at everything. It's no sports car but surprisingly nimble for a 4,000lb hauler. It's not the quickest thing I've driven, but it's plenty fast...especially considering it's size and weight. It's not beautiful but it's kinda cute in a no-nonsense kinda way. It rides like a car, drives like a car, but hauls as much "stuff" as my gigantic 11mpg Expedition and gets 18mpg to boot. The high-end stereo that comes with the XLE isn't the very best factory sound I've had, but it's darn good. It's amazingly comfortable, absolutely smooth, and totally quiet, which makes for a very "easy" driving experience. Toyota doesn't make cars you fall in love with....but they make cars you fall in deep "like" with. It reminds me of my 68 VW Bug....a bit plan but unbelievably well put together.
  • rjsforjsfo Member Posts: 13
    The transmission replacement that I got from Dublin Toyota, CA took a week to order and install. I will have to ask the Service Manager, Dave Rocha if it was a remanufactured or new unit. The Fremont Toyota dealership who sold me the Sienna was about to give me a Platinum 6 year / 100K Platinum at no cost, but backed out on it when their Service Manager left the job. The Toyota Customer Assistance Center (TCAC) couldn't get the dealer to cooperate and honor the verbal agreement or do anything from their perspective. Instead the dealer said they would sell me a Gold Plan at their cost of $580 or a Platinum Plan at $720, take it or leave it. The Service Manger said "I don't have time to waste with you on this, there is no negotiation." I said forget it. Why should I have to pay for covering the failure of a manufacturing defect when the Sienna has been regularly serviced by them and I am paying for that already as well as all future scheduled servicing? From the responses of others on the Town Hall, the owners are made to feel like it is their fault and they have absolutely no recourse for restitution. Escalation to executive management, formal arbitration and use of the legal system are my next steps in the campaign to get Toyota to take notice and ultimately responsibility for their lack of action.

Like yu4 did, I wrote letters to the dealer and the TCAC telling them that this was the first and last Toyota I will buy. For a premium mini-van at the $30K price point, the quality and level of customer service should be much higher. I put the safety of my family at stake when this happened at freeway speeds. When the transmission and torque converter were replaced the mechanics performed an invasive procedure that required them to disassemble and reconnect a whole lot of engine components, cooling, emission and electrical systems. Two weeks ago I wrote that engine check light came on and the charcoal canister was leaking. The SC Toyota dealer wouldn't tell me why it was leaking just that it needed replacement. Highly suspect that this would occur so suddenly with only 13K miles on it.
    Ms. Blake got some flak about the authenticity of the dozen or so problems she claims to have experienced with her van. She also got a whole bunch of really objective and helpful advice from knowledgeable people who really tried to help shed light on these problems. However, she rejects all of this, and continues to flog the"Toyota Plot" theory in every topic in Edmunds, not to mention a host of other sites; i.e. Complaint Station, Lemon Aid, and so on.
    When the heat from Town Hall challenges to her theories gets turned up, she goes to the Complaint Station and appeals to her fellow theorists to lend support to her Town Hall postings.
    Shortly thereafter, an underwhelming show of support from 5 of the CS group shows up in this Topic. Impressive! Behold The Power of the Pen!
    Most certainly, there are bound to be problems with Toyota products. As stated earlier, statistics,if nothing else support that fact for any manufactured product. Statistics compiled by a half dozen of the leading auto pollsters also show that Toyota is consistently at the head of the pack in quality, reliability, and customer satisfaction.( Even the Lemon Aide author supports that--Read it--he puts Toyota in the Rcommended category).
    Now, if this is the Topic to air those complaints, so be it. But why do these complaints have to be aired in every Toyota related topic in the Town Hall--Especially when those complaints are consistently accompanied by an implied "Toyota Plot" theory with only one objective---Let's gang up and "get" big bad Toyota?
    In spite of the impassioned pleas for sympathy toward Ms. Blake's cause, there are millions of completely satisfied Toyota owners out there--who are loyal to the product, and who recognize that companies like Toyota are largely responsible for the much better quality we see in all automobiles today.
    I say again to those who have had problems with their Toyota (or any other make), if you are being honest and straightforward with your service dept., you have nothing to fear. However, if what you seek is only that solution which pleases you, yer gonna be in in trouble right from the git go! Credibility in seeking redress for any complaint is the first rule.From what I see in a lot of this anti Toyota stuff is that truth was the first casualty, and everything went downhill from there!
    Suggestion: Try the honest approach--first with yourself, and then with the Toyota service person. It really works!
    I happen to agree with a lot of what pilot13 says. While I recognize anyone's right to air ANY opinion or thought, I have been following these postings and have found patterns of discontent with certain individuals. Several complaints seem to be legit, but several others I'd put in the nitpicky column. These people think something is wrong if they hear/feel ABS working, or notice a strange sound coming from the steering pump (when it's only saying, "it's damn cold today, give me a minute to warm up." And then it's off to the dealer where their entrance is met by uneasy service managers who think "oh no, not you again."

I'm not saying this is the hard truth, just what I suspect is the case. To that end, I've always had good service from any dealership, any maker, I've dealt with. Why? Because I always treat service managers and mechanics with the same level of respect I'd give to a medical doctor. I never accuse them of trying to rip me off, and if their service fees are high, I politely state that I'd like to shop around - they can repect that. I've even had people recommend I not have work done I'm contemplating because it would be too expensive at their dealership.

Just last week I took my '99 Sienna (33K miles) in to the dealer and showed them the post and latch that was rusting on one of the sliding doors. The service manager said, "Hmm, I've never seen that before - looks like something may have been spilled on it." I told him I kept the van very clean, and while the door works fine, I'm concerned with the possiblity of future failure. He ordered the parts, and the work gets done Friday.

This is common sense people. Don't go in there with the attitude that these guys are trying to cheat you out of your warranty or rip you off with expensive work - they pick up on that and feel right away that you don't trust them. Rather treat them as professionals. Don't start with, "this door doesn't work, and I want you to fix it right!" While this is what we all want, the right way to ensure you get it is by saying, "I've got this concern with my door, and I'm hoping you can help resolve it for me."

Bottom line is simple, people will do more for you when they feel you recognize their worth and treat them with pleasantly and with respect.
    Fischda, you've said it better than I can.
    Isn't it interesting that so much of our society "Cops Out" of one- on- one arbitration of disputes and instead, always relies on a third party to intervene on their behalf? An old friend of mine said it well many years ago--"Whatever happened to people talking to each other?"
    As noted in some of the horror stories told by Ms. Blake & Co., owners have visited a variety of dealers to correct a perceived complaint; others have written nasty letters to their dealer swearing off Toyota products forever; still others have phoned or written Toyota management with uncomplimentary remarks, etc.,etc.
    Boys oh boys, talk about burning bridges! No wonder they get negative reactions and no satisfaction!
    What would most people do under the same circumstances? Probably the same thing---shut the door in their face!
  • sgergensgergen Member Posts: 155
    If your wheels "locked" then you have a problem...ABS is "anti-lock braking system".

Living in Minnesota and dealing with ice and snow 6 months out of the year I hear the ABS quite a bit on all of my vehicles.

It will make a humming/grinding/clicking noise when it activates and you'll feel the pulsation in the brake pedal. Sometimes, you'll just keep going and it'll feel like you're sliding or your wheels are locked up but in reality your brakes are activating and deactivating many times per second. Your wheels will continue to turn when the ABS is activated, this allows you to steer the vehicle (a big plus over "locking them up").

The ABS activates when wheel lock is going to occur.

Hey "iforgotit" - lose the attitude!

Scott
    Cblake - did you notice your ABS light flickering when you slid through the intersection? It's not uncommon for brakes to consume enough brake fluid after around 30K miles to cause a low pressure situation - and this makes the light come on while you drive (which it shouldn't). If your tires were locked, it meant your ABS was not operating at all - this is rare. Check the master cylinder resevoir and add fluid if needed. If you were low, this will improve performance a little. ABS assits the average driver in achieving shorter stopping distances, it doesn't mean it keeps you from sliding at all. You can certainly still blow through a slick intersection.

pilot13 - let's have lunch and tell our waiter, "the service here sucks, and I'm never eating here again - now get me a bowl of soup that's actually hot!" How many people in the kitchen do you think would spit in our soup?
    I would be bitter too if my tranny bit the dust. You are obviously past bitter, because I don't recall trying to "sell" anything. I only said I was happy with my Toyota. And I have commented on such issues as ABS, sticky doors, etc.

What are you here for anyway Hapiii-less? Is it just to moan about your problems, or are you looking for information and ideas? Have you thought of treating your situation like you were out of warrany and finding out how an independent garage goes about getting a new toyota tranny? There are many ways to get results. My earlier post spoke to one method of simply being nice and respectful to people. Obviously that's something you are way past.

So why don't you check the attitude, pal? You're not doing yourself any favors.
  • eomckameyeomckamey Member Posts: 26
    Here is what National Toyota provided to me.
    ================================================
    The vehicle must be running and the fluid will be hot. Please follow all
    precautions and service procedures in the repair manual. A factory trained
    technician follows the procedure below when filling the fluid on the 2000
    Sienna.

1. The transmission fluid fills the transmission and differential through the
    same dipstick tube. In order to drain the proper amount of fluid you must drain
    fluid from the trans pan and differential.

The fluid needed to fill the transmission is 3.7 quarts. The proper procedure to
    do this is to fill the 3.7 qts, then let the engine idle. After the vehicle
    idles the trans fluid will need to be added again through the dipstick tube (.8
    qts) . to fill the differential to full capacity. To verify that the
    differential has fluid slightly remove the plug to verify trans fluid present.

National Customer Relations
  • whitenerwhitener Member Posts: 3
    *Update* Well like I said, I took my 99 Sienna to the dealership and explained my concerns about the noise that I felt was coming from the transmission and being a Mechanic for 35 years I knew exactly what was the problem, but did not offer any suggestion to the noise. The service writer immediately scheduled a test drive, now keep in mind, this was at 4:30p.m. Monday, and originally they wanted me to bring it in the next morning but called me back and ask if I could bring it in sooner and we obliged. The service advisor opened and closed the door for my wife (score) and preceded to tell us exactly what his intentions were while test driving our van and ask us to remain silent so that he could listen for the problem that we had mention. we exited the dealership and went 1 block and he turned his head and smiled and said "Yep" your right, "It's the transmission, he continued for about a mile then returned to the dealership, within minutes the service manager "Mike" came over and introduced himself and explained that Toyota has in fact had some problems with a certain number of transmission in the Sienna, and that this transmission will have to be replaced, he also explained that the replacement transmissions normally takes about 7-10 days to get and might take longer depending on the demand at the time.
    The service team quickly produced a beautiful
    2001 red Camry for my wife to drive to work until the van is ready. Well, lets not pass any judgement either way lets wait and see what happens to this van. Will the van be repaired properly, will it be on time, will it be a "Remanufactured" transmission, will we have to pay to have the torque converter replaced at our cost, will it have any leaks or other items of concern after we pick it up, what will the warranty status be after the repair? According to the dealership they will call when the transmission arrives and then give us a set date as to when we may expect the van to be ready.
  • danadana Member Posts: 36
    After reading this and some other Discussions, I felt it necessary to remind some of you of the Terms of Use agreement when becoming a member of Town Hall:

"I agree to disagree in a civil manner should I take issue with the statements of another Town Hall participant or any Edmunds.com, Inc. Editor or content contributor. I understand that civility and respect underlie the success of an on-line community such as Town Hall."

Please "Play Nice". Debate is one thing...personal attacks on one another is unacceptable.

Thanks for your cooperation in maintaining the standards of Town Hall by adhering to the Terms of Use agreement.

If you have any questions, please feel free to email me.

Thank you,

Dana S. Livingston
    Manager, Community
    Town Hall
    Edmunds.com
    dlivingston@Edmunds.com
  • debbandebban Member Posts: 2
    [Apologies for the previously garbled message. Strange spell checker.]
    I bought my new Sienna LE on February 2000.
    We drove to Las Vegas from Sunnyvale over this Christmas break. While returning from Las Vegas, the transmission failed. Actually, it would drive on gear 1, but beyond that we would hear a grinding noise.

The van had 8000 miles on it. Its with the dealer in Las Vegas. [We returned to Sunnyvale in a one-way rental]. They said that "some solenoids in the transmission get burnt when the temperature reaches a certain level". They have agreed to replace the transmission.

I am presuming that the replacement would be a new transmission. I haven't considered that it could be a remanufactured one.

I also own a 93 Camry. It has performed beautifully for us (over 90K miles). No major work has been required on it.

Its puzzling why so many Sienna transmissions are failing. After all it the same engine as the V6 Camry.
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    If its the same engine/trans as the V6
    Camry my guess is the Sienna weight is a lot more than the Camry and the Trans just can't handle the added weight. But thats just a guess.
    Thanks for the info on the transmission service. The only info I found out that differs slightly is the service manual states that if the level on the dipstick is within the required band when at operating temperature it implys that the level in the differential is ok. No need to remove the differential drain plug to check the level after refill. Thanks once again.
  • 2k1odyssey2k1odyssey Member Posts: 68
    Hi everyone in this forum.

I normally only post in the Honda forum since I own Honda products, but have conducted extensive RD&D on vehicles of various manufacturers.

I read, with dismay, the problems you folks are encountering with your Sienna transmissions. Not to say that Toyota products are all bad. I see this with every automotive product. I also read about the run around you are given by dealership service departments due to the "lack of" and not 'availability of' proper knowledge on the subject.

I read that there are some "mechanics" among Sienna owners. (Like I have done) could one of you make it a ownership project to do some intensive diagnostics and studies on your systems and advise other owners accordingly. Aside from everything else I do, including another vehicle in my research will become difficult.

Reference has been made to the same Camry drivetrain being installed in the Sienna. That does not seem right to me unless all specifications, including weight, are absolutely the same. The Honday Odyssey drivetrain was built on the Acura platform, but it has been specifically upgraded to take care of the additional weight, etc., and torque curves adjusted accordingly.

Transmission controls are similar to the Odyssey. I have doubts to the authenticity of statements such as "solenoids" getting burnt due to temperature of fluid. Specifically, solenoids are 'valves', are mechanically or electromechanically controlled, and if electrical, control valves that are within the transmission (in valve bodies). Solenoid valves are precision temperature/pressure instruments. They can fail due to incorrect pressure but are made to withstand far higher temperatures than their applications.

Many/most applications in your transmission are slide valve applications. Excess temperatures can cause ceasing of pistons drives. Something taken care of in design and not after it is installed in the transmission.

From your posts I will also not remove the possiblilty of malfunctioning PCM (Powertrain Control Modules - drivetrain computer). But unless someone does some real diagnostics, it will be difficult to provide real assitance. This cannot be expected of dealerships - I get the impression a lot of their work is trial and error.

Unless you clarify the matter with your dealer and register unit numbers, you are not guaranteed a "brand new replacement transmission". In all likelihood you will get a 're-built transmission.

If you direct some pertinent questions in my direction in terms of advice, I will try and find the time to do some research and hopefully answer your questions.

Take care.
  • debbandebban Member Posts: 2
    I was informed that a "remanufactured" transmission had arrived at the dealer. The breakdown had happened on Dec 29.

I was also told that a "remanufactured" transmission had an old casing but that all the parts inside it were brand new. I was explained that this is different from a "rebuilt" transmission which has old parts.

Speaking about the transmission failure, I recall that the engine check failure light came on only when I stopped and restarted the van. It did not come on originally when the grinding noises began.

Bummer. I was hoping for a new transmission.

--Deb
  • rjsforjsfo Member Posts: 13
    Since I wasn't sure myself from the Transmission Problem postings that have come up on what kind of parts I got installed I checked back with the Service Manager this week at Dublin Toyota. They performed the warranty replacement on my transmission and torque converter last August. He confirmed that both components that were replaced are "new" and not remanufactured. He said that the invoice will reflect the use of remanufactured parts with the added number of "-84" to the end of the part number sequence as an indicator.

When it comes to warranty parts replacement Toyota's policy states, "Any needed parts replacement will be made using new or remanufactured parts. The decision whether a part should be repaired or replaced will be made by the servicing Toyota dealership and/or Toyota."
  • crystaltodcrystaltod Member Posts: 16
    I'm taking delivery this weekend. Can anyone recommend anything I should check or ask prior to leaving the Dealership. I tried all the other vans and the only thing that came close was the MPV and that was because they're loaded for $4000 less. The seats were too hard for me though. I figure if im gonna be in something for 5 yrs. I may as well be comfortable. All the problems with the Sienna Transmission and Sludge have been horrifying and the dealer treatment even more. Im coming out of a Chevy Blazer and although Im upside down like a bat (-$5600) I've driven this vehicle for 4 yrs/65,000 miles with spotty oil changes and the only thing i've had to replace was the alternator and a couple of tires. The last time I saw the dealer, he was waving at us as we were pulling off the lot. I've tried to locate other sites to verify Sienna Problems, the NHTSA site doesnt have any recalls or complaints filed for the Sienna. Please help!

Crystaltod
  • cliffy1cliffy1 Member Posts: 3,581
    In general, the Sienna is a very nice and very reliable van. Yes, some people have had problems but beware of the "tempest in a teapot" mentality that can happen on the Internet.
  • inkyinky Member Posts: 370
    I had a 98 XLE and now a 2001. No problems. Never been back to the dealer for any woes.
    Use Mobil one, synthetic, sludge has no chance with it and 5,000 change intervals!
    INKY
  • siennastinkssiennastinks Member Posts: 3
    If I were you and it's possible, I would not take ownership of the Sienna. As far as your question about the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's web site, there are nearly 60 complaints filed against the Sienna in the past few months. I just recently filed a complaint because of the problem I am experiencing with my Sienna's transmission and the myriad problems/inconveniences that are associate with it.
    I, like many, had looked at the Honda Odyssey, but because none were available and because Toyota has done such a good job at marketing their products as safe, reliable and backed by strong customer service, we purchased the Sienna.
    I will never purchase another Toyota.

I agree that no car is perfect, but we have owned many over the years and the only transmission problem I had occurred with a van that had over 80,000 miles. Incidentally, we had purchased an extended powertrain warranty so it was covered. The dealer fixed the transmission while we waited; no weeks of waiting like some Sienna owners have faced.
    SIENNASTINKS
  • readytobuy1readytobuy1 Member Posts: 41
    Purchase the Sienna and make your own judgements. My only suggestion when picking the van up at the dealer is to check EVERYTHING out. Turn on and off every piece of equipment several times, A/C, heat, power mirrors/windows/doorlocks/sliding doors, radio/CD, etc, etc. Open and close all doors. Drive the vehicle at different speeds. Check out the exterior for dings and scratches. Make sure ALL of the options you are paying for are included.

When we purchased our 2000 Sienna XLE, which was ordered by the dealer with port added options, they forgot the moonroof wind deflector, the letters"XLE" on the gold package and it had a blemish on the hood. They took care of everything, and even added a cargo net at no x-tra charge.

One thing you may want to try is to convince the dealer to swap the Firestone tires out for another brand, preferably Michelin. There's actually nothing wrong with the Firestones, at least they're not being recalled, but from what I've heard they don't last that long and the van will ride better on Michelin's. We had our torque converter replaced soon after buying our van, and the Service Mgr gave us Michelin's for the inconvenience.

As far as the postings about the problems with the Sienna, I can only say that it is the best vehicle we have ever owned and think you will feel the same after driving it for a while. You may have read about problems with the transmission, I think this has happened to a select few. There are also some postings about sludge, I think this is due to the owners not changing their oil often enough. You should also check out other van manufacturer postings, you are sure to see there are many problems listed.

We have owned our van for about 6 months, have driven it on some long trips and in nasty weather, and think the van has a great ride. We also have 2 year old twins and have had no problems with space/storage. We had owned a Toyota 4Runner prior to the Sienna for 5 years, racked up 125,000 miles, and had no problems! Take care of your new Sienna and it will give you years of enjoyment and reliability!!!
    readytobuy1 gave excellent advice. I would add a personal meeting with the dealer's service manager, if you haven't already.

Many dealerships offer special service coupons for free oil changes, tire rotations, etc. (usually for a 2/24,000 period). Ask about it, but mostly you want to schmooze with the guy you'll be dealing with if you need service. He should outline local procedures such as appointments, walk-ins, courtesy vans or loaner cars. Some dealers don't give loaner cars, but your salesperson may give you his/hers if your van needs a sleepover in service.

You've bought a quality vehicle. Toyota has acknowleged the rash of tranny problems, and it's unfortunate that everybody isn't getting the proper care and results from the dealers. Our '99 XLE has been flawless for 33K miles, thankfully. However, if I could get new Michelins for a torque converter, I would sabotage mine if I knew how (and not get caught) - jk.
  • yup2yup2 Member Posts: 1
    I got my Sienna 2001 LE on Jan 6, at the first day I drove home from dealer, the black plastic ring around the ignition came off while I pulled out my key from the ignition. I own used car for 10 years and this is my first new vehicle, is it a joke? but the dealer said he will take care of that by ordering a new parts.
    thanks for sharing the experience.
    yupb00@maritz.com
    Ours has performed flawlessly for 35K miles.Also have an Avalon--our third. Sorry to hear about problems siennastinks has had, but I truly believe his experience is very much the exception and not the rule with Toyota products.
    Also sounds like his dealer has tried to give satisfaction, but some folks just stay mad forever because the new car just didn't meet their expectations. Can't blame them in a way, but sometimes we all tend to expect too much. For what it's worth,try and establish a professional relationship with your dealer service person, follow the owners manual recommendations and schedules, be honest with yourself and your dealer--and you should have nothing to fear with your new van.
    Those who get into trouble with their vehicles and/or their service dept. often don't follow this advice. Enjoy your Sienna!
  • gravy1gravy1 Member Posts: 1
    I just brought home my Senna van, and was reading the manual when I seen it recommends Premium fuel. I don't think the good gas silage is going to pay off if I have to buy premium fuel. Any comments on what kind of fuel any of you are using. It is a 2001
    The most common cause of transmission failure is not doing the proper maintanance on the transmission such as fluid changes. Toyota uses a Dextron II or III equivalent fluid which will only last about 30,000 miles at the most. Don't think this fluid will last much longer pulling a 4000 lb van. Also a auxillary transmission cooler would be a good idea also. This cooler comes with the towing package and helps improve the life of the fluid and transmission drastically. As the fluid temperature goes up the fluid begins to oxidize and it begins to breakdown. The fluid should be red in color. If it is very dark or brown the fluid already has broken down and should be changed now. Bad fluid will destroy your transmission. It is amazing how many people will change their oil every 3000 miles and neglect thier transmission. Our Sienna has been a great van to own. We are now approaching 18000 miles and it works as great as it did when it left the showroom. Take care of your van and it will last a long time.