Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Sienna Maintenance and Repair (2003 earlier)

Comments

• jyoung77jyoung77 Member Posts: 13
    I tried several auto junk yards but Sienna 2000 is still too new to them. If somebody can point me some internet sites for parts, I would appreciate.

That's exactly what I wondered these days. What if in an accident the liftgate is the only way for people trapped inside to get out? Should the manufacturers make liftgates operable from inside? I never thought about it...

Tony
  • paysonpayson Member Posts: 32
    Tony you may want to try Hoy-Fox Toyota.I purchased an exterior door handle from them this week.Their price was $17.00 less than our dealer.I did a google search and had to wade through a lot of sites that were not relevent. They were easy to work with,and promised to send directions on taking off the door panel.Good luck
  • deepandeepan Member Posts: 342
    i too have the 7 yr extended bumper to bumper warranty, so i am a bit perplexed regarding your situation. Did they say that you intentionally broke it.
  • freebirdfreebird Member Posts: 77
    Parts wear out, break, etc. You selected to have the dealer replace a $65 part that takes less than 20 minutes to replace.

BTW, if you were in a rollover accident and the only exit was the tailgate, I am sure Fire & Rescue would be needed, no matter the condition of the tailgate handle.
    Some people suggested to keep a hammer inside a car in case breaking windows is the only way to escape from an accident. It sounds overreacted but may work.
  • velobobvelobob Member Posts: 7
    thanks, but if I knew how to fix it myself, I would have (look a few postings above and I give the Edmund's world a review of how I did surgery on my dashboard to get to a burnt out inst. panel light)
    anyways, the warranty does not cover "trim" items or door handles...it does cover mechanisms, but not the handle itself!!!
    .....not that even reading the fine print would make you think twice...who expects the latch handle itself to break?
  • shoes4industryshoes4industry Member Posts: 18
    Hi, I'm considering buying a 2001-02 Sienna and have been reading about the engine sludge issue and someone mentioned that Toyota will cover it if it happens within the first 8 years. Is this for the original purchaser only? If I buy from a dealer, is there any way to know if this has been done? Thanks.
    as long as you can show proof of reasonable maintenance youre covered irrespective of who the first owner was.

http://toyota.custhelp.com/

FAQ and search for "sludge"
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    You may want to call the number in the FAQ and double-check Toyota's policies. Also note that if you get the gelling, you have to pay to get it fixed and then seek reimbursement.

Steve, Host
    Thanks! I will indeed check into it...was this a problem that they found a fix for or do they just rebuild the motor and hope it doesn't happen again?
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    the oil was changed often enough, you won't have a sludge problem. You can look at the sludge debate on another thread.
    I think that's part of the concern with buying a used one. You pretty much have to trust the service records at the dealer or receipts from a d-i-y'selfer.

This info should be readily available; otherwise you won't have anything to show Toyota if gelling occurs.

If you search for sludge in this discussion, the number of people who actually have experienced the problem is small.

And yes, Toyota did roll a fix in (crankshaft ventilation stuff, iirc). More here:

tmsusa1 "Engine Sludge/Oil Gelling--Toyota's Customer Response" May 3, 2002 5:17pm

Steve, Host
    Hi,

I want to do a DIY job but need to order a part from a dealer. Do dealers charge parts higher if you don't let them do the labor? If so, is it legitimate? How to avoid it? Thanks.

Tony
    When the dealer does work the work, I pay full price. When I go into the dealer and get parts, I ask for a discount, normally they give me 15% because I am a loyal customer and only use OEM parts. Most dealers have web-sites that also have a parts counter on the web-site. There are a few dealers that discount parts on the internet.

www.toyotaparts4u.com/ is one that I know of. Google search "discount toyota parts"

thepartsbin.com is another internet source for parts.
    98-01 models were the affected ones. for 02& 03 they changed the PCV design so as to breathe more.
    having said that during the peak of the oil sludge saga it was deteremined that the affected engines were .01% or somethign IIRC. If you do regular oil changes i wouldnt worry about it.
  • scoti1scoti1 Member Posts: 676
    In Answer to: #2863 of 2871 Sludge again? by shoes4industry Mar 02, 2004 (4:48 pm)

The sludge policy is supposed to cover those who buy used vehicles (according to the sludge discussion here at Edmunds and in the news articles that came out in 2002); however, you are also required to show proof of reasonable maintenance. "Reasonable maintenance" is not defined and presumably is left up to Toyota's discretion. Prior to purchasing a used sludge-era van, I would recommend checking with Toyota (corporate, not dealership level) to see what they require as proof. Then you need to make sure that the appropriate records arer available from whoever you are buying the van from. I would also recommend, regardless of maintenance history, that you take the van to a mechanic and have the valve cover removed to check for sludge.

Steve_Host, you mention that you may have to pay for repairs up front and be reimbursed later. I am not sure if this is the case, unless you have some more recent information. Toyota has been fixing these engines just as they would under warranty. There have been some who were initially denied coverage and were later reimbursed, but it is my understanding that those currently experiencing the problems are having it repaired at Toyota's expense and also getting a free loaner car while the repair is being done.

Also, some of the '02 models ARE included under the sludge policy. Toyota made the change in the engines mid-production '02 (after announcement of the sludge policy which was around March/April). You can find the details of the models and years on the www.Toyota.com website.
    FYI, the Toyota.custhelp.com link and FAQ site lists the models covered under the sludge policy as:

MODEL MODEL YEAR
    Avalon 1997-2002

Camry
        4 Cylinder
               1997-2001
        V6 1997-2002

Celica 1997-1999

Highlander
        4 Cylinder Not involved
        V6 2000-2002

Sienna 1997-2002

Solara
        4 Cylinder 1999-2001
        V6 1999-2002
    I believe you are right. One of the Toyota faqs talks about reimbursement, but I think that's for people who paid not knowing about the sludge campaign.

Thanks for picking up on that!

Steve, Host
    Thanks again for the info. I would probably be buying a 2001 or 02, so if I do I'll look into this for sure. I didn't even realize it, but my 99 Camry (4 cyl) is part of this...no problems at all with that car, which is one the reasons I'm looking at the van.
    shoes4industry, are you the original owner of the 1999 Camry? The reason I ask is that you should have received a letter describing the sludge policy. Toyota mailed letters to all 3 million plus owners of the subject models.

Good luck on your purchase.
    No, I bought it in 2001 with 75k on the clock (from a Toyota dealer). This is the first I've heard of it till now. I've changed the oil very regularly since I've owned it and it's been great.
    was atleast 1 oil change an yr IIRC for the policy to be covered. There were folks who used Amsoil or something similar which required them to change the oil every 25k miles. I cant recall the exact details

I found this. Go back to 2001 for info

cblake "Sludge in the Engine Problem: Sienna, Camry, & Avalon" Oct 8, 2000 11:57pm

there wasanother thread started by a Toyota Rep but i cant seem to find it. Maybe Steve could help
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    I think this is the archived topic you're seeking.

Engine Sludge/Oil Gelling--Toyota's Customer Response
  • dylbrena99dylbrena99 Member Posts: 3
    I've searched through these posts and found only two others that posted this problem. I had my check engine light come on. I had my husband check the spark plugs first before taking it in. He felt they could be changed. He was able to reach 4 of the 6. We took it to our local garage who is DIY friendly and have dealt with for 15+ years. Hubby told them he got to 4 - could they replace the two back spark plugs and all the wires. Within 3 days check engine light is on again. Garage says timing belt "skipped a tooth". After changing the timing belt... they said something still was not firing correctly. Turns out a burnt out valve. Has anyone else had cylinder damage directly after spark plugs. Van is a 99 with 54k miles.
    Hi,

My liftgate cannot be opened because its latch handle is broken. I need to order a part but don't know the part number. Some readers previously mentioned their fixing experience (#2854 - #2861) and would you please provide the part number for me? It costs around $65 (and labor around $180).

It's a tinny, plastic, cable actuator that can be seen outside from underneath the handle. When you pull the handle outward, the actuator transfers your pulling force to the internal cable.

Your help is much appreciated.

Tony
    I don't think that I still have the invoice with the part number on it. The entire handle assembly is included as the $65 part. There is not much to replacing it once you pull the inside liftgate panel off. If you really need the part number, just call the dealer, I know that mine would happily provide it for me as it is only available as a dealer sourced part. I guess you could also get one from a junk yard, but I don't think you would save too much.

This is not a big repair for the average DIY.
  • sj1bj1sj1bj1 Member Posts: 20
    Does anyone have any new information on a possible TSB for the brakes or new drums? Anybody else have luck getting them replaced by their dealer? I tried the magnet trick, but my brakes are still squealing in reverse and can't get my dealer to replace them at his expense. Thanks for any help.
  • jasdmwjasdmw Member Posts: 118
    Look back into the postings here a week or 2. I had my drums replaced, and the shoes as well, no charge. Others have as well. No one has found the actual TSB to my knowledge, but a nice, frank discussion with your favorite service department should do the trick.
  • ldav31ldav31 Member Posts: 7
    In looking of my Sienna, which has had no problems to date with 35000 miles and regular service, I was looking at the PVC valve and saw on the block behind the manifold what looks like a vent on the side of the crankcase. It is a little thing (I do not know mechanic lingo) with about a 1/4 in. tube running off the side of a thing screwed or bolted into the block. There appears to be a set nut or screw on the end.

It looks to me like an adjustable crankcase vent.

What is this thing I am looking at?
  • innovations2innovations2 Member Posts: 22
    I asked my service department to look into any fixes for the squealing brakes and they drew up a blank. ..said that they couldn't find anything to authorize that there is a problem.

Same old.
    I'd suggest you go to a different dealer. Sounds like these guys are just lazy. Perhaps you should approach the service manager and if still you get no satisfaction, go to the general manager. Then go down the street with all your business, making sure you tell this dealership what you intend to do.
  • lexus92lexus92 Member Posts: 2
    I have been experiencing the same intermittent door closure problem as others have posted here. Does anyone know what Toyota is doing to respond to this problem? I have contacted my local dealer and he wants me to find the TSB that Toyota has posted on this problem. Does anyone know the TSB number? My warranty recently expired, however; my van was looked at for this problem before the warranty expired. Since the problem is very intermittent they would not do anything at that time. The problem seems to be worse when it's cold and wet outside. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I would hate to throw $800 at a problem Toyota should cover under a recall.
  • pjksrpjksr Member Posts: 111
    Not sure what you're describing... is this on the right side of the engine (that is, the back...engine faces passenger side)?

You're not talking about the coolant draing plugs, which are metal, are you? There are 2 drain plugs, one of which is visible looking in from in front; the other is found from below...

Pete --- 2002 Sienna, 38000 miles.
  • josali131josali131 Member Posts: 2
    Hi everyone. I have a Sienna CE 99. Constantly sound from right sliding door (only one door). Sound comes & goes. Went to dealer several time during 4 years. After 3-5 days after dealer sound is back again. They say that nothing else they can do. No damages to the door, no accidents. Any suggestions???
  • alyssazmomalyssazmom Member Posts: 142
    My 1999 XLE Sienna has developed squeaky brakes. Is there a solution for it?

Thanks!

Carrie
    It is the one you can see from the front and now that you mention it, it does look like it could be a drain.

It is the first one I have ever seen in any location away from the radiator.

Just got back off of an 1800 mile trip and no problems.

Thanks for the info Pete.
    chk out post 1736. good description of the PCV valve
    jeprox Mar 6, 2002 11:37pm
    After checking with my Toyota service department off and on over the last 2 years, they finally said today that they received a "bulletin" about the squeaky brakes with a fix by replacing the rear drums.

They said that they *think that since my Sienna is over 36,000 miles that it wouldn't apply to the fix.

Does anyone know if this is true? The problem has been around ever since I bought the van!! I've been looking for a fix for 2 years, well before the 36,000 miles!

I haven't had the service manager check with regional or national yet. Does anyone know if this new bulletin is limiting the fix to vans under a certain number of miles?
    I had my drums and then the shoes replaced on my '01 at about the 75000 KM mark. That's about 44000 miles. Your dealer is BSing you. Be persistent and they'll fix it. My advice is to insist on shoe replacement as well. If they balk, make sure you test drive it with an advisor right after they are done replacing the drums. Do some heavy braking from a higher speed (mybe 60 MPH) and listen to the rear of the van. If you hear nothing out of the normal, no prob, you're OK. However, should you hear a noticeable rumble, it'll be quite obvious, get the shoes replaced right away too.
  • impalaimpala Member Posts: 7
    2002 Sienna 28k km, own it since new. Had the squealing rear brakes resolved 2 months ago with the new drums (TSB BR-03-005) under warranty. However, dealer did not replace the shoes -- they just 'deglazed' them.

While the squealing noise was gone (big relief!), the brakes now make a 'skipping/thumping' noise, as the van slows to a stop. It sounds like the old shoes are not making complete contact with the new drums.

Took the van back to the dealer, they told me there is nothing to go 'off centre' in the drum brake set-up that would explain the noise, so they just 'deglazed' the shoes more. But skipping noise persists. Finally, they told me the only solution is to replace the shoes, but that is not covered by warranty because 'there is no upgraded part for the shoes'.

Though I agree brake shoes are a wear item, in this case I am not willing to pay for the new shoes because of the low mileage of my van. The most recent service on the van was December 2003, where it was reported the brakes had 65-70% wear left.

The dealer is telling me I need to complain to Toyota Canada to see if they will cover the new shoes... alternatively, if I can provide details of another owner that has the same paid for by Toyota Canada, then they will do it for me. So I'm trying to solicit help from fellow town hall members...

Reading posts by fellow Canuck jasdmw, apparently some dealers would replace the shoes as well under warranty, while replacing the drums (TSB BR-03-005)? Wonder if jasdmw can pls post more details of the repair, e.g. part numbers, operation numbers, etc pertaining to the shoe replacement? Have read many posts by jasdmw, and found them very informative -- hopefully jasdmw can help out again.

Input from jasdmw and any other town hall members would be greatly appreciated !
    Hi Impala;

Sorry to hear you are having difficulties with your dealer. Not sure if I'm allowed, but the dealer I had/have my service done at is Burlington Toyota. Did not buy the van there, but have had service done there for the last 27 months, so they know me. Perhaps that helped?

Checked out my service receipts. Interesting that the shoes were replaced in May of 2002, after I complained about the squealing at that point. The replacement shoe part number was 04495-08010. Replaced under warranty, no charge. Van had 25,374 KM at that point. Unfortunately, I seem to have misplaced the invoice for the latest work, which would have the new part number for the new shoes on it. I'll get a re-print next time I'm in for service, but that's not due for a while yet, sorry. Did note on the second last invoice, where the drums were replaced, that the work was done under a thing called "P.S.B.". Not sure if this was a typo or if that's what Toyota calls a TSB. No number specified on the invoice, unfortunately.
    Hi Jasdmw,

Thanks very much for the speedy reply! I'm in Vancouver area, and I bought the van from a dealer where I went back for service for the first 2 years. I recently switched to this current dealer mainly for convenience -- they're near where I work.

The first work the current dealer did was the drum replacement under the TSB. Unfortunately I now have this new noise problem to deal with. I'll go to see them tomorrow, to suggest they call up Burlington Toyota on the shoes warranty. Last time in the shop, they suggested that I pay for the shoes replacement first, then seek reimbursement from Toyota Canada. While I really want to get the problem fixed, I wonder what's the likelihood of the reimbursement if Toyota Canada won't have any chance to assess the problem (after it is fixed).

It's encouraging to hear that you recall a new part number for the shoes, as my current dealer insist there is no updated part -- in fact, they're using that as their main reason not to cover the shoes under warranty. Hopefully, the call tomorrow to Burlington will clear things up.

I've looked up my invoice for the drum replacement. It quoted TSB #BR-03-005, replaced both brake drums (part number 42431-08012), and deglazed the shoes. I can't find any mention of 'PSB', so perhaps it was just a typo on your invoice. I also have a copy of the said TSB from Toyota Canada -- they do call these things 'Technical Service Bulletin'.
    ..still trying to get my dealership to cover the brake fix. They said my 2001 was too far beyond the warranty (56,000 mi) but that I should complain to Toyota USA since the squealing was a problem BEFORE 36,000 miles. I don't understand why the dealership doesn't pursue the issue better than they have. I've given them plenty of business and just bought another car from them this week. The service manager seemed almost afraid to ask their regional manager if it would be okay. What's that all about?

I'd try another dealership, but the next closest Toyota dealership from here is 105 miles.

Jasdmw, you must be one special customer! Checking with your dealer today, we learned that they replace the shoes as a courtesy to good, long-term customers only, i.e. the shoes are not under warranty (while the drums are per the TSB).

Now my van is in the shop to give my dealer a 3rd attempt to solve the skipping brake noise problem. If it turns out only new shoes will solve it, I will probably have to raise it to Toyota Canada as my dealer don't seem to want to goodwill it for me.
    2002 Seinna was in warranty about 34500 miles. Dealer fixed it. I do have the paper work but not in hand. Several thousand miles later and no problem.

These disturbing sounds coming from the brakes must be a fairly common problem in a lot of vehicles because Wal-Mart sells a spay that is supposed to stop it. I did not use it but I did see in in the store. So, Toyotas are not the only cars with that problem.
    Thanks for the compliment, but it's a 2 way street. They are a good dealership!. I am a good customer, in that they do all the necessary work for me per the schedule and I don't give them a hard time with the bill. When things aren't right, like this recent brake issue, I work with them cooperatively, not antagonistically like some customers I've seen. In fact, I have at times asked "is there anything else that needs to be done" realizing full well that I am opening myself up for potential rip off, and they politely said "nope, nothing else". This is a sign of a good dealership, hence my reason for going back. And the Laura Secord lolly pops don't hurt either (LOL).
    What you've said is so true, thanks again for sharing!

I picked up the van yesterday, and the invoice noted 'lubed backing plate, deglazed shoes, and serviced'. The dealer assured me it was the best they could do, without replacing the shoes. They also said they spent 1.5 hours labor this time, but they would not charge me, though they could not claim it under warranty because Toyota considers brake noise a normal maintenance, i.e. customer's responsibility.

Driving yesterday and today, the skipping brake noise was gone. I'm praying it is fixed for good, but in any case can't really blame the dealer. Looking back they have been quite helpful, though they're short of offering me the shoes probably because I have not established myself on their books yet. Side note, they don't offer candies, but they do give customers free rides for drop-off AND pick-up -- even for the basic $29.95 lube service. I think that is great customer service, and I intend to keep doing business with them.

Wishing you a happy long weekend!
  • phillipm1phillipm1 Member Posts: 21
    Has anyone changed the spark plugs in their Sienna themselves? If so, how difficult was it? Just by looking under the hood it looks like the 3 plugs at the rear of the motor(windshield side) could be a real hassle to get to. This may be a project best left to the Toyota Service Dept. Thanks.
  • steine13steine13 Member Posts: 2,818
    My mechanic charged me "only" 1h to do it, after explaining that the book time for the procedure is closer to four.. it's a real bear, but he said he found a way to do it a little quicker.
    The reason why I didn't even try do it myself is that it'll be very difficult to guarantee cleanliness. The risk of having debris fall into the combustion chamber is not worth saving $100 every 60k miles. -Mathias
    The plugs are easy to get to once you do some prep work. The cowl has to be removed. This is the black "cover" that the back end of the hood closed down on. It is fairly strait forward to remove this. Once it is off, then the back plugs are accessible.

I would suggest the Toyota platinum plugs, good for 60,000 miles.