Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Class Leaders For their Time

2»

Comments

• lemkolemko Posts: 15,162
    The only guys I see in today's Phantoms are NBA players and very successful rappers. Old RRs may have been extremely unreliable white elephants, but they had an aura of elegance that bespoke royalty or old money. Today's RRs are all about the bling.

Old Phantom:

New Phantom:

• fintailfintail Posts: 33,713
    Bling might be where RR leads today. It's kind of an old money vs new money idea.

I've always thought the earlier Phantom V was strikingly elegant:

Very nice car, but I thought this was more your taste?

• fintailfintail Posts: 33,713
    That car was probably the period leader for technological complexity and excess.

I wouldn't want a pullman model though, rather an early SWB version, like this nicely-tired example from a 1965 road test:

...would be my personal luxury dream ride:

• roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,489
    edited April 2010
    The Alpina B7. I drove one for ten days and several thousand miles- including some hot laps at Motorsport Ranch in Texas.

It's big and comfortable, but it still handles great and runs 0-60 in 4.4 seconds and the quarter mile in 12.8@114 mph. It also has amazing stopping power; the brakes haul the 4,700 pound sled from 70-0 in just 165 feet(only four feet longer than my MS3, which weighs @1,500 pounds less). Top speed? 186 mph.

I want it back!!! :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

• hpmctorquehpmctorque Posts: 4,201
    For all their deficiencies, I'd categorize the MGs (TD and A, especially), Triumphs TR2, TR3, and TR4), Austin Healeys and Jaguars (XK120 and XKE, especially) as real trend setters. These gave a category of American car enthusiasts that might not have been into hot rods something to get excited about. Would there even have been Corvettes, Thunderbirds or Datsun/Nissan Zs without the British sports cars of the late '40s and '50s? Unlikely.

Unfortunately, the advanced and relatively reasonably priced '61 XKE was the last competitive British model of that genre.
2»
This discussion has been closed.