Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2012 Hyundai Accent Replacement "Verna"?

Comments

• phill1phill1 Posts: 315
    backy, Just an update on the 2012 Accent GLS Base Model Sedan. I went over yesterday to a local Hyundai Dealership where they had 8 new Accents, all GLS Sedans, no Hatchbacks. Some of the GLS Sedans were Base Models and the others had the upgraded Preferred Comfort/Convenience Packages. I`m right! The regular Base GLS Sedans have BLACK painted exterior door handles and mirrors. Looks like a matte black primer. It looks soooooooooo (nice),LOL! Have to admit that the Accent GLS Sedan (with) the upgraded Trim Package did look sharp. The ones in White, Boston Red, and Dark Metallic Brown all with Beige/Tan interiors looked great. I asked the salesman why the new 2012 Accent (did not) have as a safety feature the Daytime Running Lights, DRL`s like both the Sonata`a and Elantra`s have, he said...huh? When questioned about the lack of standard Power Moonroof and exterior mirror directional indicators as the Canadian models have, he responded; "Say what"? Like I posted earlier, the 2012 Elantra GLS Sedan that was sitting next to the 2012 Accent GLS Sedan, both equipped with the identical options and trim, Alloy Wheels, Fog Lights, etc. Elantra had a MSRP of $18,995 vs the Accent at $17, 495. The only thing missing on the Elantra was the GDI engine, a deal breaker for me. Other then that, I can`t fathom why anyone it their right mind would not opt for the Elantra for a mere $1,500 more and get the same 40 MPG fuel economy as the Accent. I`m waiting for the leaves to Fall and along with them, the 2012 Kia Rio5.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,686
    edited June 2011
    For me it will come down to the actual sales price when it's time to buy. If buyers flock to the Elantra, that could mean bigger discounts on the Accent relative to the Elantra. It also depends on how the Accent drives of course. If there's a big difference in ride quality, that would be enough to get me to go to something like the Elantra... or a slightly used car like a Golf, which would be about the same price two years from now as a discounted GS hatch. FE not as good, but superior in all other respects. Of course, the Accent is available as a hatch and the Elantra is not, at least not in the same form as the sedan. But two years from now, the new Elantra hatch will probably be out.

GS stick with mats, MSRP only $15,450. Has everything I'd need except cruise. Which I could probably live without... but I'd rather not.

Then there's the Rio...

I do like the brown color, assuming it's the same as on the Elantra. Very sharp with the tan interior on that car.
  • windgracewindgrace Posts: 83
    A little backstory: I'm almost 21 and I'm a college student. I'm looking at buying a car and I have about $15k saved and my mom will pitch in whatever I need.

I've been looking at used car lots at dealerships for about 2 months and the price of used cars is insane right now! I could get an Accord with 100k+ miles for like $15k at a nearby Honda dealership!

So I started looking at cheap entry level cars. I come from a family that's bought Japanese automaker cars for quite some time. Good reliability with Hondas and Subarus...been *really* disappointed with Toyotas.

But the 2012 Accent is really appealing. Great warranty, list of standard features, fuel economy, styling and the price is right. My mom is iffy on buying a Hyundai, but she understands the appeal.

Everything I've read seems to be raving about every new car Hyundai comes out with. I want to know how people (consumers, not just the press behind Edmunds/KBB/Inside Line, etc) feel about Hyundai, the warranty, and the long-term reliability of the car?
    Go ahead and pull the trigger. I`ve owned 2 and both have been great cars. 2006 Hyundai Sonata and 2006 Kia Rio5 Hatchback. Excellent fuel economy and superior quality fit and finish coupled with the best and longest warranty in the industry. Slightly lower resale values then other makes, but thats more then made up for by initial lower purchase price. Personally, I would opt for the upcoming Kia Rio5 Hatchback over the Hyundai Accent but if your looking for a Base model Sedan (without) lots of options, I`m sure you will be more then satisfied with the new 2012 Hyundai Accent.
  • maxx4memaxx4me Posts: 1,340
    I'd also look at the H Elantra Touring. While not a sexy car, it is incredibly functional and will help you transport your stuff back and forth to college. I'm also waiting for the H Sonata Wagon to come our way. Should H Execs decide not to send it here, I'll get a second HET.
    Well, obviously you don`t have a limited time table to make your decision since your all over the Map on this one. The Elantra Touring Hatchback is being replaced in a year or so with a newer more modern edition. No talk about a US Hyundai Sonata Wagon that I`m aware of. If practicality is what your looking for, the new 2012 Hyundai Accent Hatchback with its rear seat folded down will take care of that without any problem. Appears that your just browsing and looking while "kicking tires". With no urgency, you can wait it out for a few years and see what happens.
  • maxx4memaxx4me Posts: 1,340
    edited June 2011
    No for sure. Being rushed into buying a car is the worst mistake people make over and over again. I always know what my next car will be before I need one. Puts me in the driver's seat when negotiating from strength rather than desperation. As for the H ET, the current model is much taller and longer than what is coming down the pike. I can do without modern for the sake of maximum head and leg room for rear passengers, which is something that is lacking in the current Elantra sedan, and will be lacking in the 2012 ET as a result of the sloping rear roof line and loss of total overall length. As for the Accent, that is waaaay too small in interior size to transport 4 adults. And by the way, the Sonata Wagon is reality. It is sold all over the world. Now it is just a matter of it coming to the USA. H executives want it here, and I sure hope they get their way.
    edited June 2011
    First, there (is) a time element involved with making a decision on purchasing a new vehicle either based on "need" or the fact that since new models evolve, (for better or worse) delaying a decision too long may make the vehicle no longer available at all, at least, not New. Secondly, just because Europe has certain model vehicles and engine combinations, or for that matter, any other Foreign market, Most of the time, they do not appear in the same Form here in North America, and usually don`t get brought over here at all.. Hyundai and Kia in particular have lots of vehicles they sell all over the Globe but do not and (will not) market them here for lots of reasons. Safety requirements and pollution controls among them. There is a significant difference even between models and trim between Canadian vs US vehicles and we are both sharing North America, forget about the rest of the World. And finally, your comment about what HMA or Hyundai executives want here they get, well they got it, all right. The (entire) world got a much better equipped 2012 Accent then we got here in the USA, so I guess, thats what they wanted, right? And finally, I hate to burst your (bubble) on being able to negotiate a better deal (without) the sense of desperation, I assure you with over 40 years in the Car Business, there is one "trueism", How do you know you got a Good deal on a New Car Purchase? Simple, If you bought it, you got "F____d". Its just the way it goes, sorry.
    It appears due to all the recent bashing of the stupid Black Painted Exterior Mirrors that first appeared on the 2012 Hyundai Accent Base Model GLS Sedan that HMA,( Hyundai Motors America )has decided to equip their entry level vehicles with painted exterior mirrors that (match) the cars exterior paint color. I noticed a few Black mirrored GLS Sedans and now at another Dealership, all the Base Models have exterior mirrors that are color matched to the vehicle. Now f they have a few drops of paint left over they might finish the mistake by doing the exterior door handles as well.
  • carfreak09carfreak09 Posts: 160
    I took my car in to get an oil change and they had 2 2012 Accent GLS sedans on the lot, one with the auto and one with the manual. I decided to take a test drive of both and see how much of an improvement Hyundai made. Well folks, let me tell you, the 1.6 GDI and new 6 speed trannys are everything Hyundai described and than some. I was thoroughly impressed with the power. Whereas in my 2010 the car seems to drag with the AC on, particularly with the auto, the new car doesn't seem to be affected by it. The Accent now steps off smartly from a dead stop with only light throttle. The engine feels like its a 1.8 or 2.0. My friend in the back seat, who has driven my car, even commented on how much faster this car felt. I did notice that the torque curve is a lot flatter. On my 2010, you can feel a sudden urgency kick in around 4500 rppms as the CVVT switches over, but I didn't feel that on the GDI. It just had a steady strong surge of torque. The engine is also leaps and bounds quieter than the MC. It's about half as quiet when first turning over the starter and a good bit quieter when accelerating. I thought the MC was pretty quiet for the class but it sounds like a loud buzzy tin can after driving the GDI. The engine is also a lot smoother. The GDI is a gem!!

I was also extremely impressed with Hyundai's homegrown 6 speed automatic. Folks, this tranny is superb! You can't even feel the shifts. You only see the rpms change and the digital display change numbers (very cool how you always know what gear you are in). Shiftronic is now standard so you have way more control over what gear the tranny is in. And if past Hyundais are any guide, the Shiftronic will hold the gear to redline until you manually shift it. I only drove the car up to about 50 mph but the tranny did not try to shift fast all the way up to overdrive like our current 4 speed. There was no discernible power difference between the auto and manual. In fact, the auto felt a little quicker to me. The only thing I didn't like was the gated shifter. It looks a little higher class but the zig zag pattern to change from R to D isn't as quick as a simple straight line shifter.

The manual tranny's shifter was just as good as the one in the Elantra. No more notchiness. Reverse was easy to engage. 6th gear is a little harder to get into but I'm sure it's something you get used to over time. I never drove an MC manual, but this shifter is light years ahead of the LC's shifter. The clutch, on the other hand, was way too soft. You can't really feel the engagement point. Also, when accelerating hard, there is a dead spot when shifting from 1st to 2nd as the engine cuts gas for emissions reasons. It makes the 1-2 shift less than smooth and you loose some acceleration. I think it was for this reason that the automatic felt faster. I also noticed a good bit of squat when accelerating hard. It sort of reminded me of the land yachts of yore.

Two other dynamic differences from the MC. The 4 wheel disc brakes are a huge improvement in brake pedal feel and braking power. The pedal is much firmer and is almost too touchy. I'm used to the mushy pedal feel in my MC. Brakes felt strong and smooth. If this is what the 4 wheel discs felt like on the 06-07 Accents, the rest of us have really been missing out. I really think rear discs are a worthwhile upgrade to later MCs! The electric steering, on the other hand, was the biggest disappointment of the car. It felt very wooden and effort was way too high. It felt like it didn't want to be turned. And there was absolutely no feel coming through the rim. I much prefer the hydraulic steering in my MC!

As for the rest of the car, I noticed a lot of small changes, some good, some not so good. The hood release latch is now integrated into the bottom of the lower dash, which looks cleaner. The hood prop rod is still attached to the hood. The engine appears to be more compact as you can easily put your arm behind the engine now. Alternator has moved up to where the former power steering pump was, nice and easy to replace. The intake is now on the very front of the engine, with the filter located where the battery used to be. I'm not sure if a SRI would fit as well though. The gauges are always lit now, which could lead to people leaving their lights off at night. The trip computer is very cool, giving you miles to empty and avg mpg. There were vanity mirrors but no lights, a step backward from my car. The most puzzling feature lacking was a power door lock button. There simply isn't one, not even on the driver's door. Not sure how you operate the door locks from inside the car. I would miss having this button. The cloth door inserts were a nice addition although it was a very rough feeling fabric. Back seat room was decent, however, the floor ramps upward as it goes under the front seats, which means I can no longer stick my sneakers completely under the seat. This could cause a problem comfort wise for long limbed guys. I loved the pump handle for the height adjustment on the drivers seat, very VW. The seats are shaped different and I'm not sure whether they are as comfortable since I didn't spend much time adjusting them. The stereo operates exactly the same, it's just shaped different. Last but not least, the 175/70R14 tires are way too small and really cheapen the look of the car.

All in all, the new Accent is a homerun and I'm seriously considering upgrading in 6 months or so. Power is definitely strong enough to make the Veloster a very tempting sporty hatch.
    carfreak09, thanks for your very thorough impression of the 2012 Hyundia Accent. I assume since you did mention the 14`` tires, it was a Base Model GLS Sedan. I don`t think many dealers have received the Hatchback Accent`s yet. I too was both pleased by some of the vehicles attributes but I must say, I found more negatives. Styling, looks, fit and finish, performance and quietness were (all) positives. Like you mentioned, the tiny standard 14`` wheels and cover`s was a downer along with the black exterior door handles. They decided I guess at the last moment to paint the black exterior mirrors to match the vehicles exterior color paint. I did`nt notice that there was (no) interior door lock/release switch, what`s that all about? I miss the Power Moonroof option which is offered as standard equipment on Canadian GLS Accents with the upgraded trim. Canadian Accents get the spare tire and jack instead of the mini air compressor and tire puncture sealant canister. For those that care, (myself included) Hyundai deleted the DRL`s on the new 2012 Accent while maintaining them on their new 2011 and 2012 Sonata`s and Elantra`s. All in all, I think the new Accent is a huge improvement over the outgoing model (but) it could and (should) have been much better. We will have to wait and see if the new Hyundai Accent`s shortcomings are addressed and improved upon when its sibling, the 2012 Kia Rio and Rio5 Hatchback are launched this fall. According to most of the Media material Kia has leaked so far, it looks like they just might bring home the Gold!
  • hcalcathcalcat Posts: 30
    Nice review, carfreak09. I appreciate it since I am considering purchasing one. When the 2011 Sonata came out, I was impressed with the overall design, powertrain, feature set and value. But I felt it was on large side. Then I got wind of the new 2011 Elantra and felt that it was perfect for replacing my aging 2006 Civic 4 door. But then I heard that a new and improved Accent with GDI was coming so again I decided to wait. I guess patience is a virtue because based on a few a couple of pre-reviews (yours, Michael Karesh's, and AccentPlanets), the reviewers seem pretty impressed with the dynamics (closer to the Elantra Touring's), power, quietness, engine sound, and comfort. I am interested in the 5 door SE model which will be sportier tuned.

Phil1, while I too am disappointed that Hyundai did not include some of the things that will be in the Kia Rio, I feel that I can upgrade later when those features become available thanks to Hyundai's Guaranteed Trade-In Value Program .
    At least 2 Hyundai dealers here in Southern California just received the 2012 5 door Accents according to the inventory information posted on their web sites. Each dealer received 4 and they are base GS variety. So they are starting to dribble in. Can't wait to test drive one.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,686
    Great, can't wait to see/drive one of those. If I like how the GS stick drives, that could do it for me for not much $$. I'd miss the cruise, but I'd only use it 2-3 times a year.
    hcalcat, I think if your in the market for a Hyundai Sedan, and your considering either the new 2012 Accent or the Elantra, the Elantra IMO is a much better value. You get a similar looking vehicle, slightly larger, 1.8 L engine compared to the 1.6 L engine in the Accent, both vehicles GLS Sedans with the identical preferred convenience upgrade package, ae" alloy wheels, fog lights, etc. has a price difference of only $1500. Elantra MSRP of $18,900. and Accent at MSRP of $17,400. For that mere $1500. you get much more car but more importantly, a huge increase in future residual trade in value. The Elantra is projected to return much more value then the smaller Sub-Compact B Segment Accent. That small difference in purchase price up front will more then be recouped down the road. The only difference and negative against the Elantra versus the Accent is the lack of GDI, (but) they both have the same EPA milage ratings, go figure that? Unless you want the Accent Hatchback version, I think the value and looks belongs to the 2012 Hyundai Elantra GLS Sedan.
    phill1. I agree that from a purely spec, feature set, and value prospective, the Elantra has the edge over the Accent. But from a "seat of the pants" driver's perspective, I am hearing that "Accent>Elantra". Reviewers are saying the new Accent is actually "fun" to drive and I put a higher value on that. Of course I need to test drive one to see how that "fun" translates. I think the GDI and suspension tuning makes all the difference. I prefer the versatility and cargo space of the Accent hatchback for my Home Depot runs. If it becomes the top dog in the tough B-segment, I have a feeling its resale value will also be very good and should be no worse than a Honda Fit (which is very good, I owned one). I also thought about getting the new Rio with its rich feature set but I don't want to wait any longer plus I feel those additional upgrades (moonroof, leather, 17" wheels, back-up camera, keyless ignition, etc) will not come free or they may have to cut corners elsewhere. The mark-up on B-segment cars is relatively low so there isn't much wiggle room to make a profit.
    link title

You can get a nice feel for what the 2012 Accent is like from this video. Specifically:

1. Good acceleration
    2. Relatively Quiet
    3. Good Suspension Damping
    4. Good handling taking corners / turns
    5. Stable over bumps in the road
    6. Nice exhaust note (non-obtrusive)
    7. Engine only tach's 2K at 60 mph

So far, so good. SE's are supposed to have an even "sportier" tuned suspension. Car is starting to grow on me
    I currently own a 2011 Ford Fiesta SE hatchback that I`m very happy with since last July. I am also in the market to replace my aging 2006 Kia Rio5 Hatchback that I have almost 70K driven and has been an excellent vehicle but its time for replacement. I`m as anxious as you but I have no choice but to wait till the Fall and the arrival of the new 2012 Kia Rio5 Hatchback. Comparing the looks of the upcoming Rio5 Hatchback and the Accent Hatchback alone, is worth the wait. All the additional available content plus not having a similar Fiesta rear hatch does it for me. Sure, all those upgraded options will add somewhat to the MSRP but, you can pick and choose (ala carte). At least one will have the (choice). Projector headlights, LED DRL`s and Tail Lights, Power Moonroof, etc (all) those items not available on the 2012 Accent Sedan or Hatchback. I personally need more then just utility. If the 2012 Kia Rio5 Hatchback does`nt do it for me, there will be a new 2012 Hyundai Elantra in my driveway soon after. I too enjoy the practicality of the Hatchback design over the Sedan, but (if) I end up settling for a Sedan, it will definitely be the Elantra for me. Initial cost plus Fuel Economy, and projected higher residual trade in values between the Elantra and the Accent make that call an easy one for me. Maybe wearing shorts year round gives me a slightly different perspective then you get from the "seat of the pants".
    My current mix of cars are a 2008 Mazda MX-5 (Miata) PRHT, a 2007 Honda CRV, and the 2006 Honda Civic. The only car that I might consider to replace the MX-5 is the upcoming Veloster. It has the same 1.6L GDI engine as the 2012 Accent/Rio so it should be spunky enough and a turbo version is lurking down the road. But that's another story. My first priority is to replace my wife's aging Civic and right now we am leaning towards the Accent. If we buy it and then if for some reason she doesn't like it, I can always sell my CRV and get her the upcoming new 2012 Subaru Impreza. I would take over the Accent and after 2 years, I have the option of trading it in for some other Hyundai, possibly the Veloster. I think in the next 3 years, we will see a multitude of improvements to cars because of CAFE and safety mandates and technology and competition so many of today's cars may seem somewhat dated by then. Some examples of the future options are found in the 2012 Kia Rio, e.g., new GDI engine, start/stop at idle, rear camera, side mirror repeaters, ESC, LED DRL's, smart-phone integration, Blue-Link, Graceland, etc. All of this additional stuff (and complexity), of course, will come with a higher price tag and reliability risk so it is good to look for cars that come with good warranties and guaranteed trade-in values ;-).
    I agree with you totally. I hate most technology and find its proper place is in both medicine and defense. I have probably one of the very few early production Ford Fiesta`a that I ordered early Mar and took delivery this past July that was special ordered (without) the SYNC technology and upgraded million watt radio. I instead took the cash credit of $595 which was offered and put it towards the Power Moonroof which ended up costing me a mere extra $100. I don`t plan on purchasing a fully equipped 2012 Kia Rio Hatchback but (I) want to be able to have the opportunity to have the choice of options which unfortunately Hyundai in the US chose not to offer. LED DRL`s and Tail Lights won`t be a problem, Rear Camera Monitor won`t be either. Speaking of which, will be mandatory equipment in all US vehicles in a couple of years. Blue-link, smart phone, ISG (idle-stop-go) I`ll pass on too. Just thought, for that matter, I`ve never had a leak or mechanical problem with a factory installed Power Moonroof either. If you pull the trigger on the Accent Hatchback, best of luck. Guess I`ll have to be patient and wait till fall when the new Kia Rio drops too.
    Here are a couple first drive reports from Autoblog and Motortrend

First Drive - Autoblog

First Drive - Motortrend
  • sandman_6472sandman_6472 Coral Springs, FLPosts: 2,632
    As my daughter and I were going shopping yesterday, we passed the Hyundai store and commented on how there were no new Elantra's or Accent's in the back area where they usually park them. Pull into the supermarket and there's a new black Accent! Looked very nice even though it had the bolt on wheel covers. Prefer the Elantra more but can see the wife in either one of them...eventually. Also, the 3s lost it's a/c for the 3rd time yesterday but like the other times, it came back on after she played with the dials. With just over 91k on the odo, I think it's trying to tell us something actually. We still want to get to 100k but not sure if we'll make it as the tires are looking a bit worn with almost 4ok on them.

This is really a bad time to buy a car too, which I keep telling her. Might be worth it to just replace the two most worn tires & fix the a/c when it goes out. But it'll be her decision on when to buy.

The Sandman :confuse: :sick: :shades:

2014 Hyundai Tuscon SE/2005 Mazda 3s/2008 Hyundai Accent GLS/2009 Nissan Versa SL hatch

First Drive - Autoweek

They seem to like it ("what's not to like"). Big difference in 0-60 mph estimate from Motortrend.

Autoweek: 9.0 sec (est)
    Motortrend: 10.5 sec (est)

My estimate is closer to 9.0 seconds and no slower that the Elantra. ">link title

Autoweek's and Autoblog's overall assessment is very positive, Motortrend's is "lukewarm:.
    No new news in these reviews. Not a bad small car but nothing great either. One error in the Motortrend review was their price difference between both a 2012 Hyundai Accent GLS Sedan and a 2012 Hyundai Elantra GLS Sedan. Both vehicles with the identical equipment are only separated by a mere $1,500. $18, 900 for the Elantra and $17,400 for the Accent. Same Fuel Economy Too! No $3000. price gap and a hell of a lot more car with (much) better future residual (trade-in) value. A no brainer IMO.
    edited June 2011
    You seem to focus on features, size, price differential, and residual value in your assessment of these two cars. While I would agree that the Elantra may have the edge in features and size, I am more interested in how all the pieces come together. How does it handle, is it quiet and smooth, how does it brake (distance and feel), is it "fun" to drive, what is the "real world" fuel economy, how does it accerate, how sweet a ride, etc? Using a sports analogy, would you rather have a team of Allstars or a team that knows how to play together like a team. What keeps me interested in the Accent (over the Elantra) are these positive reviews, especially the one by Michael Karesh who when asked flat out said "I think the review clearly says Accent > Elantra."

M Karesh 2012 Accent Review

As for resale value, it is a huge mistake to base a new model's resale value on a prior model's, especially when the new model represents a quantum leap over the prior model and is already receiving accolades with some reviewers touting it as being at the top of its class. I believe if a car moves to top in class in a class that is growing, it will hold its value very nicely.

So unless your cognitive powers and opinion carry more weight than others, picking the Elantra over the Accent is not a "no brainer". It depends on what you are interested in and as the saying goes "different strokes for different folks".
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 14,260
    don't discount $1500. That is about a 10 % upcharge!

the other key difference? The elantra only comes in a 4 door. If you want your small car to have some utility, you are OOL at least until they come out with a new touring.

Me, the Rio is more interesting then either of the Hyundais, if for no other reason than I want some features (and require a moonroof) even on a small car with good MPG.

will have to test sit an Accent this week. Need to pick up a bag of dog food, and the pet store happens to be right next to the hyundai dealer.

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (when daughter lets me see it), 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again), and new Jetta SE (son's first new car on his own dime!)

edited June 2011
    Perhaps your right that I have focused more on (my) perceived value of the 2012 Elantra vs the 2012 Accent and true, your buying fun and so called excitement and not cold cuts by the pound at the Deli. And since this new Accent is hardly "out of the gate", future residual trade in values are yet to be determined, but based on past small sub-compact/ B segment vehicles (all makes), they usually don`t return anywhere the same amount as the slightly larger, more popular compact/C segment cars. Even that would not necessarily discourage me from purchasing a sub-compact car that I really was excited about. I admit, I myself purchased a 2011 Ford Fiesta SE hatchback last July which I`m very happy with and I hope to purchase the new 2012 Kia Rio5 Hatchback this fall if the vehicle matches the media buzz it has received so far. After seeing and driving the new 2012 Hyundai Accent, I personally feel its a ok car which could have been a great car if HMA had not "decontented" it. Having very few upgradeable options that were offered in other markets around the world including our neighbor to the north, Canada. It appears the Hyundai figures that its new 2012 Kia Rio and Rio5 will fill that gap.
    You can't base subcompact resale values on past "cheap" models. The new crop of subcompacts (Fiesta, Fit, Accent, and Rio) with their upscale rides, interior volume, and content are really the "new" compacts so their resale value should adjust accordingly along increased demand and market share. I am not worried about resale value in these vehicles.

My dilemma is that I waited for the Elantra, waited to see what Honda would do with the 2012 Civic (ok but disappointing), waited for the Accent (I haven't driven one yet), and am now debating whether to wait for the Rio5. My 6 year old 2006 Honda Civic is running fine so I am in no hurry but just getting anxious. If the Rio 5 is just as good as the Accent with more content options, it might be an easy choice. The Rio5 is 3 inches shorter in length in already a small car so I'll have to see how that translates (I prefer a small car that looks "big" versus one that looks "small"). The other negatives for me would be not having the guaranteed trade-in value that Hyundai offers and that the nearest Kia dealer is 25 miles away.

On the other hand, if I get the Accent now, I have the option to trade it in in 2 years when something better comes along. Just got to figure Hyundai will stay busy as they relentlessly pursue protecting their advantage over the competition. I think I just talked myself into getting the Accent (if my wife likes it ;-)).
    edited June 2011
    Hyundai coming out with that marketing ploy of "guaranteed trade-in value" was brilliant! If you read all the disclaimers though of deductions for (above-normal wear & tear) excessive mileage, specified windows of trade in opportunity and the big one, having all Manufacturer recommended maintenance and service performed at a Hyundai Dealership, they can readily afford to stick their neck out and predict a residual trade in value much like the (buy-out) number you get with a regular Lease. Once you factor in all those expensive $40 oil changes and recommended 6K, 12K, 18K, 24K, etc "recommended procedures", whatever extra you get on trade in towards purchasing another Hyundai product, you have already paid them out of pocket AND thats if you meet (all) the pre-qualifications and you choose another Hyundai. CarMax already offers basically Kelly Blue Book trade in values for quality cars they will buy from the public now if a Dealer low-balls the trade in vehicle and this also allows one to shop for a replacement of (any) Brand vehicle. Again, if the new Hyundai Accent works for you, enjoy. If you don`t need the Hyundai Guaranteed Trade-In Promo, I`d not worry about the new 2012 Kia Rio`s, allegedly 3`` exterior shortage difference and wait till fall, I know I am. I`m sure the interior specifications will be almost identical.
  • sandman_6472sandman_6472 Coral Springs, FLPosts: 2,632
    Do you mean "the Kia Rio's 3" difference"? Figured you did but your punctuation made me wonder since you leave spaces where there shouldn't be. Funny how wrong punctuation can leave others wondering what was meant.

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2014 Hyundai Tuscon SE/2005 Mazda 3s/2008 Hyundai Accent GLS/2009 Nissan Versa SL hatch