Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2012 Hyundai Accent Replacement "Verna"?

1235»

Comments

• phill1phill1 Member Posts: 319
    The only reason I posted all those comparison numbers between the Accent Hatchback and the Rio5 showing that (all) dimensions were almost the same for both vehicles with the sole exception of the added extra cargo volume the Accent has over the Rio5 with seats up or down. The other number comparisons that I posted, that are immaterial to you, and for that matter myself as well, were only presented to prove (my point) that although the two vehicles have completely different interiors and exteriors, wheel/tire sizes, options, etc. it is evident that although they are definitely (not) identical Twins, they are very much fraternal Twins. True, I have made (my) decision to which of these two B-Segment cars I will purchase for reasons of looks as well as options and interior choices, there may be others curious of the specifications the two vehicle (do) share in common. Since I have no vested interest one way or the other of yours or anyone else`s final choice, I think we can agree, it all boils down to personal preference. Since I know a lot of people read both "threads" pertaining to the 2012 Hyundai Accent as well as the 2012 Kia Rio, I assumed that readers would like to digest the comparisons and differences that both you and myself have brought to light. I`m sure if and when you "pull the trigger" and purchase either the Accent or the Fit, you will share your thoughts. I know I will as soon as I finally take delivery of my 2012 Kia Rio5. Cheers!
    My wait is finally over. Yesterday I got a call from one of the 7 Kia Dealerships that I was on a "wait list" to purchase a 2012 Kia Rio5. A base model LX, Clear White with Beige interior and automatic transmission, with the optional "Power Package" had just rolled off the Car Carrier Trailer at the Dealership when I was notified. I was getting a bit antsy and would have paid the extra $800 an upgraded to an EX with standard equipment if the LX had not arrived first, as long as it had the same color combination. Closed the Deal last night as the Dealership was shutting its doors at 9:00 PM. Plan on taking delivery probably Wed or Thur evening. I`ll Post my first impressions after I`ve driven it a few days. Funny, I was prepared to travel up to 150 miles to locate this vehicle, and would`nt you know it, I ended up finding it locally! Kia Dealerships here in South FL have so few in inventory, they won`t consider a swap with another Dealer unless they get another Kia Rio5 in exchange in a different color or trim configuration. Maybe in a month or two the supply will improve.
  • dirtbagdirtbag Member Posts: 57
    Congrats! I hope you enjoy your new car! Wouldn't this be better posted in a Kia forum?
    edited November 2011
    dirtbag, Your right! I, like many other folks check (both) the Hyundai Accent and Kia Rio Blogs on Edmund`s Forum, because of their similarity. After I incorrectly "Posted" here on the Accent Thread, I reposted on the Kia Rio Thread. I had clicked to remove it from here after realizing the mistake, but obviously it remained Posted. Sorry for the inconvenience.
    PS:, I`m sure my "bud", backy will no doubt assume I did this on purpose, but I did`nt. Sorry to all. I`ll be more careful in the future (not) to Post things "off topic" on the wrong "threads". Cheers!
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    PS:, I`m sure my "bud", backy will no doubt assume I did this on purpose, but I did`nt.

You have probably heard the old saying about assuming.

Maybe we could just "blame it on Rio"?

:)

P.S. Hope you enjoy your new car!
    backy, Thats a good one. I for one have enjoyed the past months "banter". Please let (us) know when and (If) you pull the trigger on your Accent GS. Now I have to make an appointment to schedule having the 3M 30% Window Tint applied to keep the interior cooler and reduce the amount of fading from the merciless Florida sun.
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,948
    Which dealer...Coral Springs Kia?

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    edited November 2011
    did ya get the 5-speed standard transmission? That's gotta be a "duh", eh? :shades:

Whoo-hooo! Enjoy your new ride...I'll bet yer gonna love it. Be sure and be brutally honest about how it drives, handles, looks (inside and out, of course) and all...after all, this 2012 Kia Rio hatchback is on iluvmysephia1's Top 5 futures list of possible car purchases. This is huge. Someone I know (online or in person) who has actually bought one of these beauties.

backy, you're gonna have ta get the new Accent now, ya know that, don't you? :blush:

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

Backy, looks like you'll have to get the new Verna now as I think the wife has discovered that the sub compact size is a bit to cramped for her d d...at least the Fiesta was. Our '08 Accent, not so much but it's still tight so the compact is the optimal size for her. In our case, don't think the Jetta will make the final cut either, but that's strictly personal...not a huge fan of the 5 cylinder engine. Think it'll be the Elantra as the winner in our race, but the 3 Series might end up being the longshot...maybe even a CPO one! Isn't the warranty better on a CPO as compared to new? The only thing would be that she'd loose out on the free maintenance, but one never knows what kind of deal can be worked out!

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

edited November 2011
    sandman; Nope, Hollywood Kia State RD 7/US441 corner of Sheridan. I was on their "wait list" when I noticed on their Web site the exact 2012 Kia Rio "LX" in Clear White with Beige Interior , Automatic Transmission, with the optional Power Package (PW,PL, Remote Key Fob, Carpeted Floor Mats) listed in their "Inventory" saying it was (in transit). I called to see when they expected it, the Internet Sales Manager told me that it (just) rolled off the truck and was parked on their lot. I told them to grab the keys if there was no money put down on it assuming it was not already pre-sold and I would be down later that evening. Done! I was also on a "wait list" looking for the same vehicle with Esserman Kia, Gunther Kia, Phil Smith Kia, Delray Kia, West Palm Kia, Bev Smith Kia, Key West Kia. Funny you mentioned Coral Springs Auto Mall (Kia), I tried years ago to work a deal there and just did`nt like their attitude and pressure. One mention of Hollywood Kia, (they) are one of very few New Car Dealers in Florida that (DO NOT) charge "ANY" Dealer Fee`s! Most Dealerships charge between $600 and $1000 Pre-printed on their Purchase Agreements that are non-negotiable. The only possible way (not) to pay it is if your able to haggle the same amount as an additional discount off the Sale Price or get the same monies added on to your Trade-In Allowance. Hollywood Kia, Zero Dealer Fees, plus no stupid add on Addendum Sticker next to manufacturers MSRP charging for unwanted nonsense to pad the price and get back the Dealer Fees on the (back end). Javier, the General Sales Manager is a straight up individual and I actually got (more) for my Trade-In then CarMax offered me. Highly recommend! Still, like always, it took a little bit of "arm wrestling" but not too much.
    Was there yesterday for my kid's Versa and I agree about their "sales tactics"...funny thing is they had this car when my daughter & wife test drove it back in January '09 & Endicott Nissan snagged it in a dealer trade, as they accepted my offer which was fair to both sides. I hate the "pressure" & the passing off to a closer. Spoke with the internet guy at Gunther VW & the internet lady at Maroone Ford yesterday and got their commitment that they both had the authority to accept an offer themselves with no running to the g m or anyone else...I want to deal with only 1 person besides the F & I guy/gal. I want to build a "relationship" as much as I can with the person selling me the car & get a fair otd price, no grinding or foolish games. When that happens, I'm outta there...period!

sandman; Be Warned. Gunther Kia (does) charge a huge Dealer Fee, amounting to an add on of $700 or more to their invoice. Maroone a.k.a. Auto Nation, does as well. Like I mentioned earlier, (unless) you feel you are an expert at "haggling" off the Fee`s by insisting they give you the same equal allowance in monies either as an additional cash discount or extra trade in allowance above and beyond what you agreed to, be prepared to "walk". If its a new Kia you looking for, to the best of my knowledge, only Hollywood Kia in Hollywood, FL has a no "BS" No Dealer Fee policy and they don`t attempt to hustle you by putting on a lot of unneeded add ons to make up for it too. If you`ve narrowed you search down to a Ford product, if you or your family has an association or employer affiliated with Ford in someway or, you happen to own at least 100 Common Shares of Ford Stock, your are eligible to get a Ford "X" Plan pin # that truly allows you to by any new Ford vehicle just under Dealer Invoice with just a small $75 Fee to process the sale. I bought my 2011 Ford Fiesta last year using Ford`s X Plan and I saved a bundle. The selling Ford Dealer is required to give you the actual Dealers Cost Invoice to prove the price, is in fact correct. If you have no other way of securing an Ford X Plan pin #, sometimes someone on www.blueoval.com might give you one that they don`t need. I thought that the pin # needed to match up with the Buyers identification but it appears that some have found away around it because folks inquire on that Blog all the time looking for a X Plan pin#.
    Funny, I was planning on buying some Ford stock by the end of the year, a couple hundred shares when all is said & done...so I can get the X Plan that way I'm assuming. Doubtful on the Kia, as the interior is a bit cramped and I think a compact car will fit the bill better as she's used to it. So I'll just buy the stock and if she decides on the Focus, we'll be golden! Since Margate Ford is a Maroone dealer, will probably look to another dealer like Sawgrass Ford or Pompano Ford. Have heard some good things about Sawgrass Ford.

Thanks for the info on the X Plan and an easy way to get it.

sandman; If you end up purchasing at least 100 shares or more of Ford Common Stock, once you get your cusip # assuming the shares will not be (in hand) but held in Book Entry Form, call Ford at their 1-800 number in Detroit, ask for Investor/Shareholder Services and then proceed to request a special form which you can either Fax or Mail back to them with the required information. A few weeks later they will send you an email with a certificate, Ford Friends and Family X Plan document with your PIN #. It is good for one year from the date you receive it, and for (one) vehicle purchase, only. The vehicle must be bought by the person`s name on the document or an immediate family member I believe. If you do not use the certificate before it expires in one year, you can go through the same process and get a new PIN# the following year. When Shareholder/Investor Services mails or emails your the application form to apply for the PIN#, I suggest making a few extra blank copies for possible use in later years. It will save a lot of aggravation. I`ve personally bought 3 Fords over the past 10 years with the X Plan. I apologize Folks, once again for all this "Off Topic" discussion. It was`nt intended.
    Now, Lets return to Hyundai matters or at least concerns related to HKAG vehicles. HKAG= Hyundai-Kia-Auto-Group
    Yes, I have my stock account with the local Scottrade in Coconut Creek so I'll be dollar cost averaging within the next couple of months here. Thanks again for the help and I'll get back with ya if I have a problem. I know Hyundai has a similar setup with "Motorzuma" or something similarly named. Just have a feeling that she'll pick the 2013 Elantra as her next ride which I'd love...a fabulous car! Even my kid told me today that she doubts mom would spring for a C Class or a 3 Series, new or CPO'd, as the prices are just to high for her to spend. It's just an appliance, though a really nice one, to her. Spending anything over $20k plus her trade is probably her upper limit, not enough to buy a new one...maybe a '08 or '09 pre-loved 3 or C. But the driving experience would be so far superior. One can only hope!

Have been seeing a bunch more new Verna's on the road & in parking lots out west here in Coral Springs/Boca. Most I see are the silver color with the bolt on wheels though I think the hatch with the alloys is a real looker. And since we've had a silver car for the past 7 model years, might be time for a change depending on the car. Some cars just look so much better in silver, but not the Verna. And if it's as cramped as the Fiesta we sat in the other day or the one I drove yesterday, then it'll be out of contention. Since you have one, with your wife in the front seat, is it a bit cramped in the front for y'all? Sure felt that way especially with the sales guy in front with me, something I could not live with. My daughter's a bit on the thin side & so am I, so driving her to work earlier the front of her '08 Accent didn't seem so cramped. But as a d d, the wife wouldn't like it. Also, the acceleration is so much slower than the 2.3 4 cylinder she's used to in the Mazda that she'd have to take a pass on it...any engine under 1.8 will be an issue for her over the long haul that she'd want to pawn it off on me in a few months. So we really have to put her into a compact car with more power than these sub compacts can deliver.

sandman; I promised on my (last) Post on this thread that I would attempt to refrain from anymore "Off Topic" comments. I`ll be brief since you asked. Since I`m retired and there is only my Wife, myself, and our 2 Golden Retrievers, we don`t need a roomy spacious vehicle. Spending much of our time in Key West, where streets are narrow and parking is at a premium, a Fiesta size B-Segment, Sub Compact Vehicle fits (our) needs. Thats why I just replaced our aging 2006 Kia Rio5 with a new 2012 Kia Rio5. It was either going to be the 2012 Accent or the 2012 Kia and (we) preferred the looks of the Kia since, IMO, the Accent Hatchback looked to similar to our Fiesta. The Fiesta which we have owned for 16 months now and driven almost 14K miles has been flawless. Its gets 33-34 MPG City and a constant 41 MPG Highway. It has plenty of power for us, and since the only occupants of the back seat to date, have been bags of groceries, cases of Beer, and hauling around our 2 Fuzzy Faced Daughters, Sophie and Chanel,"woof", that has not been an issue either. Thats why there`s such a spectrum of Cars, small to large, to appeal to the wants and needs of every buyer. Like the USPS says, "If it Fits, it Ships"! If you end up with the Hyundai Elantra in 2013, don`t forget to grab an Emergency Spare Tire, (donut) and Jack Kit from a Junk Yard or Ebay. When you check the Wheel Well in the Trunk, you will find that it is (empty) except for a can of Tire Sealant Goo and a Toy Mini Air-Compressor. Good luck with you Car shopping and "beware" of those Dealer Fee`s! That (is) my last word, "Off Topic". Cheers!
    PS: Sorry, I (did) promise to be brief,LOL
    Funny you mentioned the post office...worked there in Boca for 30 years and am retired now to. The interior fabric of the Fiesta turned us both off really but I liked the Focus, especially the leather in the SEL model. Did see a Verna hatch in the Publix parking lot and looked inside and it looked pretty nice actually, but will need to sit inside to tell if there's enough room. I know in my kid's '08 Accent, it's pretty roomy up front for the two of us with a pretty good view all around so I expect the Verna will be similar. Definitely like the alloys better than the bolt on's so we'd only look at the top of the line model. But I really believe the Elantra will win out if she goes Hyundai, hands down. And I'd be pleased as punch. Buy, I must say Hyundai has done a spectacular job with both these cars...good job Hyundai!

I`ll keep this short and concise. Anyone who spends almost $30,000 on a fully equipped 2012 Ford Focus either in SEL or Titanium Trim, is out of their mind completely and needs to seek help immediately. I don`t care what kind of options, be it wheels, interior trim or high tech gadgets, it is way too much money for that Segment Vehicle, IMO! JUst add $3K and your in a "C" Class 2012 Mercedes Benz. Absolutely ridiculous!
    PS: Both Lila Busemi and Larry Glazerman are A-Holes too.
    edited November 2011
    Phill, do I know you from the p o? And totally agree with your last statement...lol! And agree about your Focus statement...anything over $20k is too much for a compact car. I did like the SEL with leather I sat in though but not sure if I'd leave the foreign makes right now. Since we've now pushed off out buy date, will have plenty of time to weigh all the pros and cons when we do purchase. And we still have a bunch more cars for the wife to try out. Looking forward to the hunt! Still think the Verna will be too small for her, as my kids Accent is a bit small and the engine just doesn't have the power to get up & move. Also, my '06 Civic gets better mileage to boot! The Elantra will be the one if she goes with Hyundai, absolutely. I am,