Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2012 Hyundai Accent Replacement "Verna"?

phill1phill1 Posts: 315
I just saw the recently posted pictures from the Beijing China Auto Show of Hyundia`s 2012 replacement for its its aging Accent! It`s stunning IMO! A shrunken version of the 2011 Sonata, its going to be a killer in the increasing hot B Segment sub-compact group. I`m sure Kia, Hyundia`s sibling company will be replacing its aging Rio with a similar updated vehicle as well. I hope the at least one of these companies makes available a 5 door hatchback like the Rio5. Hyundia Accent only had the 4 door sedan and 3 door hatchback. I love my 2006 Kia Rio5 and will not purchase anything other then a 5 door hatchback. Its sporty, yet offers the practical configuration possibilities of a small wagon allowing for easy placement of bulky objects and bicycles!

Comments

• backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,748
    Really a sharp looking little car. I hope the US-spec model is pretty close to this one. It's sorely needed, given the tough competition coming soon from Ford (Fiesta) and Mazda (Mazda2).
  • phill1phill1 Posts: 315
    I agree, I`m trading in either my 06` Hyundia Sonata or my 06` Kio Rio5 Hatchback for a 2011 Ford Fiesta SE 5 door hatchback that I ordered early Mar. I would like to replace the remaining vehicle with another small B-Segment 5 door hatchback later this year or next. I love the quality, fit, finish, of the Korean cars. Both Hyundia and Kia have really got it together now. The 5 year 60K bumper to bumper warranty does`nt hurt either! Can`t believe its the same outfit that made one of the worst under powered cars ever, the new 1988 Hyundia Excel I once owned for 24 months. What a difference 2 decades made!
  • craigmricraigmri Posts: 243
    Phil,

I too had a 1988 Excel 3 door hatchback GLS I bought new. It was my first brand new car. Mine was the 5 speed manual. You'll remember the 1.5L engine was made by Mitsubishi. So many people complained about the old Hyundais but mine was pretty durable and got great gas mileage(32-38 mpg). Granted it was only like 68 hp but still, I bought it brand new out the door for $8000.

I drove the car for around 60,000 miles then when my brother returned from the first Gulf War(desert storm) I gave it to him as a homecoming gift. He and his wife drove that car for years.....The odometer broke at 160,000 miles then he and his wife divorced and his wife got the Hyundai and I have no idea what came of it. We estimate it had 190,000 when his wife left him. No major failures in the car except air conditioning.

Since then I've owned a '92 Scoupe, '98 Sonata, '02 Santa Fe, '07 Santa Fe and now a '08 Veracruz. Our next will be the Turbo Sonata when it comes out later this year....Cant wait!!

Craig
  • sandman_6472sandman_6472 Coral Springs, FLPosts: 2,694
    Can't believe how this car has evolved since the '08 that my kid has. The wife is looking to downsize & this car is pretty dead on to what she's looking for...a mini Sonata...wow! Totally impressed here...might work for our son in a couple of years also. Hyundai has really improved into a major foreign car company, which is a win/win for everyone! Wonder when it will debut in the states?

The Sandman :) ;) :sick: :shades:

2014 Hyundai Tuscon SE/2005 Mazda 3s/2008 Hyundai Accent GLS/2009 Nissan Versa SL hatch

• I'd expect it to show up around March or April. It does look good, but I hope they don't increase the price and I hope there will be a 2 door hatchback available. Their current strategy to differentiate the Accent and Rio seems to work well and I hope they continue using it: Offer a 2 door hatch or 4 door sedan while allowing Kia to have a 5 door hatch. Based on the large number of 2 door Accents running around, I'd say there's a big enough market for it and it would be stupid for Hyundai to abandon that success.
  • tenpin288tenpin288 Posts: 804
    edited October 2010
    The KDM version goes on sale Novmeber 1 New Accent and US sales should follow by the end of the year if Hyundai holds to form. They also mention in that article that the new Elantra will make its US debut at the LA Auto show in November and sales start in the 1st quarter of 2011.
  • If Hyundai holds to form, the new '12 Accent will come out in March. Legally, Hyundai cannot start selling a '12 model until after the new year and in the past, March is when they have introduced new models early (the all new 03 Tiburon came out in March of 2002). I'd be very surprised to see them introduce a new Accent and Elantra at the same time. I don't expect to see the Elantra until sometime between June and August.
    I thought the next Elantra sedan would be delayed to next year also, since the current one debuted just four years ago in the USA, but I've seen reports to the contrary. It will be introduced for North America in LA in a few weeks. Note that no 2011 Elantra sedan pricing has been announced, but pricing for the 2011 Elantra Touring has been out for some time. That is another hint that Hyundai will slip the new sedan into CY 2010 as a 2011 model. We'll know for sure in a few weeks. I do think it's a good bet the 2012 Accent won't arrive until next spring at the earliest, since there IS a 2011 Accent to fill the gap for the time being.
  • I hadn't noticed that no 2011 Elantra pricing had been released. Interesting. Perhaps they are introducing the new Elantra before the new Accent. This is very odd since the Accent has been around since 06 and is most in need of being overhauled safety wise. If the Elantra hits showrooms in December as a 2011 model, I don't think we will see the 2012 Accent until the summer. Matter of fact Edmund's website says the target launch for the Accent is the summer of 2011.

Though I love my 2010 Accent, I am bummed about missing the 6 speed auto. The current 4 speed lacks refinement and the ratio gap between 2nd and 3rd gear is too large. I will say Hyundai is crazy if they plan on putting the same 1.6 in both the Accent and Elantra. There would be no differentiation between them except for the amount of space. If the 1.6 GDI is indeed going into the Elantra, they need to put a smaller 1.4 GDI into the Accent to make it stand out big time in gas mileage.
  • According to this site, it should debut first half of 2011. It just went on sale in South Korea.

http://www.hyundai-blog.com/index.php/2010/11/02/hyundai-accent-2011-launched-in- -korea/
    Its going to sell like crazy at the right price point! I love my Ford Fiesta Hatchback and want to replace my aging 06` Kia Rio5 Hatchback with either another Rio or Accent, whatever hits the showrooms first. Would prefer another hatchback but won`t wait if only the sedan is available first. I wonder if the new Elantra and Accent will have the DRL`s like the new Sonata? Now that I got my DRL`s activated on my new Ford Fiesta, would hope that Hyundai and KIa will put them on their entire fleet of new vehicles.
  • Phil, how has your Rio5 treated you? How many miles and what kind of problems have you encountered? It's hard to get any useful long term ownership info here as no one talks about these cars. I have a 2010 Accent 2 door and am loving it so far.
    After 2 years of ownership, this car is great. My kid loves it...the wife wants to look at the new Accent in 2012. I do all the maintenance and have only done oil changes & a rotation since new. Now with 10k on the odo, all is perfect. This is the "perfect" small car anyone. Not real fancy, but it's a great ride!

The Sandman :sick: :shades:

2014 Hyundai Tuscon SE/2005 Mazda 3s/2008 Hyundai Accent GLS/2009 Nissan Versa SL hatch

• Thanks Sandman for the update. Please be a more frequent visitor in the Accent owner forum. I'm jealous that your car only has 10k after two years! My '10 Accent has 3k in 1 month!! I'm curious...does the undertray have to be removed or loosened to get to the oil filter? I love how Hyundai puts the filter right up front but the undertray looks like it gets in the way some. I also wonder if you have experienced any shift flare when the automatic goes from 3rd to 4th? My rpm's sometimes increase by as much as 400 when shifting from 3rd to 4th. I think I have a malfunctioning pulse generator. I hope to get this fixed when I take it in for the first oil change.
    I`ve owned this 06` Kia Rio5 SX 5 door Hatchback since JUly 06`. I bought it used from a Kia dealership who sold it new in 12/05. It was traded in 7 months old with less then 3000k miles for a larger Kia. The only problems other then regular maintenance I`ve encountered with almost 60 months of service and 60,000k miles driven have been to lower front seat air bag replacements that failed and required the entire lower seat cushion being replaced. Its been a major problem with 06` KIa Rios and perhaps the Hyundai Accents too , but I`m not sure of the later. One of the pollution converters off the exhaust manifold needed replacement as well as the electronic ignition coil, all covered under the 5 year and 60,000k warranty. I`ll buy whatever hits the market first, the 2012 Accent or Kia Rio. For a $15,000 K priced vehicle, nothing beats their fit,finish, quality and WARRANTY!
    Here's over 80 images of the new Accent--Korean spec, but gives us a good idea what the NA version will look like, even if we don't get all the features the ROK version does. Note the FE numbers on the engines--sure hope we get the 1.6L unit!

I think I like the dash of the Accent better than the Elantra's. The Accent's is cleaner, and a huge improvement over the old Accent. Hope that dash makes it to NA.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2010/11/the-2012-hyundai-accent/
    Backy, thanks for posting those pictures even though they have been out for over a month. Rumor has it that the 2012 Hyundai Accent will be shown this Apr. at the NYC International Auto Show with sales beginning sometime between June and Aug. I hope they bring the 5 door Hatchback out at the same time but more likely they will hold that for another 6 months to a year. Notice the ugly N.A. change to the grill and nose of the car compared to the Sonata like Chinese "Verna" edition. Must have had to do with either price or meeting N.A. safety requirements for US and CA
    Yep, I knew they came out in November but didn't see them posted here (maybe I missed that?), so I thought I'd share the link.

The nose isn't real great, is it? But not bad enough to strike the car off my list. It takes a pretty ugly car, ala Aztek, to do that.
    Its a damn shame that Hyundai could`nt make the Chinese version of the Accent (Verna) front end nose and grill work for the North American edition. I own a 2011 Ford Fiesta Hatchback and I know that Ford "tweaked" the North American version a bit from the European vehicle but IMO the end result was still overall pleasing. Perhaps Hyundai felt that since the new Elantra basically copied the Sonata grill, enough was enough. Got to make sure that the cheaper nose job on their "B" segment entry does`nt compete too much with their "C" segment compact Elantra.
    It's also on our short list but I think the additional power of the Elantra will please the wife more. Do prefer the 1.8 in my Civic to my daughters Accent and with the wife currently driving a Mazda with the 2.3, think the new Accent won't be a good choice for. Hopefully when we get into serious looking mode, the Buick Verano will be out also...will be a bit more upscale than the Cruze, and she's from a Buick family to begin with.

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

The new 1.6 liter 4 cyl engine Hyundia will be putting in the North American version of its new Volster as well as the 2012 Hyundai Accent is supposed to be a totally new improved fuel efficient 140 hp power plant that should get over 40 mpg highway. I don`t think you will find much difference between the performance of the heavier Elantra with the 1.8 liter vs the Accent with the 1.6 liter engine.
    Has the 1.6L 140 hp engine for the Accent been confirmed for NA? I was wondering if we would get the smaller engine instead, since 140 hp is a lot for a car in this class. But I wouldn't mind it. (wink)
    Hyundai didn't wait for the NY Auto Show to unveil the new Accent, it came out this week at Montreal.

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2011/01/2012-hyundai-accent-gets-most-power-f- uel-economy-in-its-class-montreal-auto-show.html

Looks like a great update, especially the 1.6L GDI 138 hp engine, 6-speed trannies, and all the standard safety equipment. And a 5-door hatch! Yesssssss!

The FE numbers look a little low for a car of this weight (30.5/41 mpg for US gallons per the article), not much better than the bigger and more powerful Elantra, but those are unofficial numbers.
    Very impressed with how this car looks...not as nice as it's older siblings but nice all the same. To be honest, I think the Elantra looks the best of the three & I'm hoping the wife agrees & gets a 2012 titanium colored GLS with the package that has the 16"alloy wheels. That would fit our needs perfectly! I can definitely see my next car being a Hyundai also...never thought I'd ever stray from the Japanese brands...EVER!!

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

backy;...nice scoop of the Montreal Auto Show unveiling of the new Accent! I hope that US also gets the 5 door hatchback option. A lot of times Hyundai Canada gets different models and trim then we do here in US. Now, when do they get to dealerships? Spring..Summer..or early Fall?
    Although I personally prefer the practicality of the 5 door hatchback as a small wagon to the 4 door sedan, I actually might opt for the new 2012 Hyundai Accent in sedan form. I already own a 2011 Ford Fiesta 5 door hatchback and IMO it looks (much) better then the Fiesta sedan. On the other hand, the new Accent sedan IMO looks better then the 5 door hatchback! Plus, the Accent hatchback looks way too similar in styling to the Fiesta hatchback and I`d hate to have two look a like vehicles parked next to each other in my driveway even if they are in different colors.
    I just hope that this unveiling in Montreal means that HMA will have the new Accent at upcoming auto shows including the Greater Twin Cities show in March, so I can check it out for myself (might be on a turntable and not sit-able, though).

It will be a couple of years before I need to buy another car, but so far the new Accent looks like one to have on my shopping list.
  • I like the styling of the new Accent, but am severely disappointed that there is no 3 door. There is a large number of people who prefer the sportier looks of a 3 door and have absolutely no need of 4 doors. Hyundai is making a huge mistake here, especially when you look at how many 3 doors are on the road today compared to the 4 door. Take away rental sales and the 3 door far outsells the sedan. Hyundai, bring the 3 door!!!!! The Veloster is not an alternative because its way too expensive.
    I almost never see the 3-door Accent of the current generation on the road--almost all 4-doors.

If Hyundai is making a huge mistake here, then so are a lot of other automakers in this segment, except Toyota, which offers the Yaris in a 3-door hatch. Going up-price a bit, the Mini Cooper and Golf are available as 3-door hatches. But that's it. No 3-door Fiesta, no 3-door Fit, no 3-door Mazda2, no 3-door Versa, no 3-door Aveo, no 3-door Rio.

It would be interesting to see if the 5-door hatch outsells the 3-door. I expect it will, by a large margin, because it's a better fit for more people than a 3-door.

And I think the new 5-door Accent is plenty sporty looking... as are the Fiesta hatch and Mazda2. I think you can have sporty with 4 doors. Unless sporty in your book means "only contortionists are welcome in my rear seat". ;)

As for the Veloster being pricey... what is its MSRP, anyway? The Accent 3-door was only inexpensive in the ridiculous GS trim--ridiculous as in no ABS even available on the car. Going to the SE with standard ABS and nice wheels costs over $16k, and that's with a stick and no options except mats! Not exactly cheap.