Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2011 Hyundai Elantra

Comments

• stickguystickguy Posts: 13,585
    stopped yesterday to check one out. since their only unit had to be brought around, took it for a ride too. This was a limited premium, so 22K+ sticker.

It did have the tan interior, but the colors did not bother me. actually resembled the interior of a BMW with the same colors.

anyway, plenty of room, but I did have to drop the seat a little (i tend to sit "tall"). fine in the back seat too.

very nice style, and great looking interior. Engine was very peppy and smooth, and tranny seemed fine. Seemed quick. some road noise, but seemed to be just tires. but not overly loud.

only thing I did not like was the seat angle. If this had a power drivers seat (or at least front/rear height adjustment) it would be about perfect. I can't stand the 1 ratchet lever height adjustment, because I can never get the cushion tilted up enough for me.

also the seat seemed to pinch a littlat at the bottom, but that could be just the way I had it adjusted. Did not really play with it. At least the cushion seemed long enough.

overall, this is a winner.

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (when daughter lets me see it), 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again), and new Jetta SE (son's first new car on his own dime!)

• Drove one today. My impression was that they have managed to put a mid-size cabin into a compact vehicle. It has excellent leg room and comfortable seats with a bit of padding in the lumbar region of the seatback.

Driving impression was that of a previous generation mid-size. More than adequate power, transparent shifting with the six-speed automatic and a very quiet engine. Mileage indicated was unbelievable. At a steady 60mph freeway drive for 15 miles, 45.1mpg. This with a new engine was almost beyond belief.

This will be the one to beat in 2011. The competition, from early spy pics and guessed at specs will still be looking a bit dowdy. Time will tell.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,628
    FWIW, the Elantra has had mid-size interior room since the Gen 3 debuted in late 2000. I own one of those (a 2004 hatch) and it's been a great car. I appreciate the ability to put 6-footers in the back seat without cramping them. The Gen 4 was even better in back. I can't wait to compare the new Elantra to the last one. How was headroom, thigh support, and foot space in back?

The mpg is very good news. It looks at least 10% better than the Beta II engine, which could get 40 mpg at 55-60 mph cruising with a light foot. And the 45 mpg was on a new engine... Hyundai engines tend to get better mpg with time (maybe that's true with other makes too, but I've especially noticed it on the two Elantras I've owned).
  • bobadbobad Posts: 1,587
    edited December 2010
    Drove one today. My impression was that they have managed to put a mid-size cabin into a compact vehicle.

This shows up on the exterior. It looks very "cab forward.
    I am 6', and sit "tall". Leg room was great, I think there was toe room if needed, and head room was OK. I was probably just touching sitting straight up.

probably more than good enough for most buyers, since I expect that if you are regularly transporting tall adults back there, you will probably get a bigger car!

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (when daughter lets me see it), 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again), and new Jetta SE (son's first new car on his own dime!)

• Please tell me I'm not the only one that this has happened to. I bought my BRAND NEW Elantra on October 8th. Today is December 11th....the car has 2600 miles on it, and the transmission has to be completely replaced. I am OUTRAGED. How could this have happened?
  • crkyolfrtcrkyolfrt Posts: 2,346
    it has to beg the question, so let's get it out of the way right off..

auto or manual, and what do you or they claim it does?
    at that mileage, it has to be a manufacturing or assembly defect. IOW, a fluke.

while I had my '04 in for a free oil change. They had four: a silver Limited (buried in snow), a Desert Sand GLS, and two black GLSes. I got to sit in the Desert Sand car as it was sitting idling while they cleared the parking lot of snow.

The first thing I noticed was that the lower dash did not have an orange-ish tint--not that I could notice anyway. It looked tan/camel, and matched the door panels and seat fabric quite well. I thought it looked fine. I think it shows pictures can be deceiving, also that tastes vary a lot.

The driver's seat was comfortable with firm support and good lumbar support. I had it set pretty high. The interior materials looked good to me and seemed of good quality for the class; quite a few padded surfaces including the dash top, door panels (cloth), and of course arm rests and top of center console. The only controls that were disappointing were the two concentric round knobs for fan and temperature; they seemed stiff, not silky smooth like on the two previous Elantra generations. Also, I would prefer a simple knob for HVAC function vs. several buttons--it took me some searching to find the button for "defrost". Once I found it though, it worked well to clear the huge windshield.

The back seat had enough room for two adults my size (I'm 5'10"). There was just enough toe space under the driver's seat for my size 10 tennies, and plenty of leg room. Thigh support was adequate, but headroom was tight--only about an inch clearance for me. The trunk seemed roomy, with the traditional hinges vs. struts.

I thought the Desert Sand car was very sharp; it had the optional 5-spoke alloys. But I also liked how the black cars caught the sunlight with a deep metal flake (I don't like black though--too hard to keep clean).

After looking at the tan and gray interiors, now I think I like the tan interior better, as it's less drab looking than the gray.
  • The thigh support was good, headroom was more than adequate and rear seat legroom was adequate. I'm not a tall person so the dimensions were just fine for my size. The only reservation I had was the control stack.

It seems to visually overpower the dashboard area somewhat. The controls are very convenient to use and noiseless in operation. The day was cold and the heater produced heat quickly.

Overall, I was very impressed with the quality and appearance of the Elantra and am sure it will do well in the competitive marketplace. The one I drove was assembled in AL.
  • Los angeles area, looking to get Otd price for new base elantra gls with auto
  • Check the Hyundai Elantra Prices Paid discussion to see what others have been paying.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• I saw the first '11 Elantra in person today in a turning lane. It was silver. I thought it was a Sonata at first but than realized the tailights wrap around the rear quarter panel way farther than on the Sonata so I thought it might be a Sonata Hybrid. I was briefly confused until I looked at the front end in my rear view mirror and realized it was the new Elantra! The fact it can confuse you into thinking it's a bigger more expensive car is a good thing. However, I still think the car looks way better in darker colors.
    Where's the Elantra on the latest IIHS Top Picks list? Not there. But its cousin the Forte is there. Also the Optima, which was introduced about the same time as the 2011 Elantra. Meaning Hyundai (and the IIHS) had time to test the car for the latest list. The omission probably means the Elantra didn't make the cut for the Top Picks list. I hope the fact that the IIHS crash test scores for the Elantra haven't been reported yet means that Hyundai is working on tweaking the design of the car (which they and other automakers often do when the crash test results aren't as desired) to make it more crash-worthy. They did this on the 2010 Elantra, so it could (finally) get a Good score on the IIHS side impact test--right before it was retired.
  • bobadbobad Posts: 1,587
    edited December 2010
    You know how slow the insurance industry is, so I bet we won't see any Elantra crash test data until later in 2011.

Merry Christmas to all!
    As I said, the IIHS results for the 2011 Optima are already published, and that car debuted about the same time as the Elantra. I think the only reason we won't see IIHS crash test data is that Hyundai asked the IIHS to hold up on releasing it until it can make some changes and retest the car.

Also, automakers can pay for an early test, if they think the results will be good i.e. a Top Pick. Obviously did not happen in this case.
  • maxx4memaxx4me Posts: 1,341
    Toye, I find your post a bit misleading. I am 6'1 and own the current Elantra Touring wagon. The new 2011 Elantra is not a hit by any means. The driver's position is not better than the current ET, and the telescoping steering wheel does not come out far enough to make a comfortable driving position for tall drivers. Secondly, the roof line is significantly lower than the current ET. You have to watch your head getting in and out. Thirdly, the back seat room is worthless for adults. The sloping roof is way overdone. Adults cannot fit in the back, neither in headroom nor in legroom. Moreover, when you are in the back seat, your head is against the c pillar, which is annoying if you would like to see out of the window. I just felt the need to correct the record because the new Elantra is not well proportioned, and it irks Elantra Touring owners like myself who read that the Hyundai designers will make the 2012 Elantra Touring in this car's (as well as the new Kia Forte hatchback's ) image. The car is way to small inside and taller driver's should avoid it.
    Keep in mind that a wagon based on the current Elantra will likely have a taller profile and thus would not be as swept back as the sedan, thus would have better headroom than the sedan. "Based on" can mean the same chassis, dash, and mechanicals, but much different body.
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Posts: 3,159
    Also, automakers can pay for an early test, if they think the results will be good i.e. a Top Pick. Obviously did not happen in this case.

It's reasons like this that I choose to ignore the IIHS. They are funded by insurance companies, which only have their best interests at heart, not yours.

Personally, I'm happy to see NHSTA seriously stepping up their testing to be more stringant so it is not easy to get a 5-star rating.
    How is more information about how cars fare in crashes and rollovers a bad thing for car buyers? If the insurance industry's interests, e.g. putting safer cars on the road, fits with my interests, that's just fine with me.

It takes money to pay for the tests. I have no problem with the IIHS getting reimbursed by a car company if they want their car tested earlier than the IIHS' budgeted schedule.