Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2011 Hyundai Elantra

Comments

• rtzrtz Posts: 1
    You just made me sick with this.....
    I just picked up a GLS w/ the prefered package for $18,000. Should have held out for a month or so.....
    I'm enoying the can but man the engine and road noise is loud!!
  • idoc2idoc2 Posts: 78
    Here's what the dealer said on this isue:

Reprogramming the auto door lock / unlock for your Elantra needs to be done here at the dealership by one of our techs. It's not something that takes a long time in the shop (probably less than a half-hour) but it should be scheduled anyway.
  • tenpin288tenpin288 Posts: 804
    Looks like Hyundai needs more capacity!

Expanded engine production
  • delaluzdelaluz Posts: 48
    Hyundai is releasing a "Sonata wagon" called the I40 in Europe. At this time I don't think there are plans to bring the I40 here. I would encourage everyone looking for an "upgraded" Touring to contact Hyundai & tell them to bring the I40 to the US.

There are plenty of pictures out on the web of the I40. I have owned two Elantra hatchbacks (a 2001 with auto and 2007 with manual ) and I currently own a 2007 Sonata. I love hatch backs but I traded the 2007 Elantra hatch for the 2007 Sonata because I needed a bigger car.

After driving the Sonata I felt the "perfect" car for me would be a slightly smaller Sonata hatchback that had a firmer ride. Based on what I have read about the I40:
    -It will have a ton of room.
    -It should get at least 30+ on the highway depending on what engine they put in it. In Europe Hyundai will offer several engine options including a diesel.
    -It should have a "bigger car" ride than my old Elantra hatch.

If you like wagons or hatches check out the I40 on the web & let Hyundai know you they should sell it in the US.

Berto
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,784
    I saw it reported in the paper yesterday. Really great news for small-car fans--several others made the Top Safety Pick list too. The Elantra has come a long way since it regularly got "Poor" ratings on some of the IIHS tests i.e. side impact. I am glad to see Hyundai stepping up its game in crash protection on even its small cars.
  • bpollenbpollen Posts: 11
    edited May 2011
    I don't want my car locking and unlocking on its own. It's just one more thing to malfunction in the future (and it will), and I can certainly press a button to lock and unlock myself. I think the cars are getting carried away with gizmos and gadgets. I want a car that is solid, reasonable cost, rides smoothly, low cabin noise, reliable, good appearance, nice upholstery and interior, and gets decent gas mileage. With all the new gizmos, I get a picture in my mind of me driving down the road with doors locking and unlocking, windshield wipers wiping on their own (or stopping on their own), a/c turning on and off on its own, and a host of other things altering on the car as I drive along, with me not being able to do much about it all. All of that seems irritating to me. I'd rather be in control of all those things.
  • hhr06hhr06 Posts: 47
    MAN FEEL BETTER NOW SEEMS LIKE A LOT OF RANTING AND RAVING THERE, WHY NOT JUST ENJOY YOUR NEW CAR OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO BY THE WAY YOUR DEALER CAN FIX THAT DOOR LOCK PROBLEM FOR YOU.
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Posts: 1,678
    BY THE WAY YOUR DEALER CAN FIX THAT DOOR LOCK PROBLEM FOR YOU.

heh...sure can. I think the point was you'll need to fix it...
  • sivicmansivicman Posts: 32
    I didn't take it as a lot of ranting and raving. He was just expressing his opinion on what he looks for in a car that their getting carried away with gadgets. I can totally relate to what he is saying. I had the same problem with my 2007 Civic when I brought it home it had the automatic locks and I felt trapped. The nice thing Honda tells you in the owners manual how to disable it without taking it back to the dealer.
    HOW DO U FEEL TRAPPED? JUST UNLOCK THEM YOURSELF B 4 U START
  • m6userm6user Posts: 3,047
    Why don't you just hit the "caps lock" key off before you post then? It's really easy. Looks like you're shouting at everyone.
  • rich9035rich9035 Posts: 1
    If anyone that cannot find a spare wheel and full size tire lives in the ocala florida area, TEE PEE TIRE ON PINE AVE. will set you up with a wheel and full size tire for under 100 bucks. You will have to cut the foam piece down to fit inside the spare and the spare fits in the well perfect.
  • rabbitboyrabbitboy Posts: 2
    WHY?

A solid rubber spare tire is going to weigh 40lbs to drag around every single day.
  • nin70nin70 Posts: 3
    edited May 2011
    I ordered my 2011 Elantra and was told the wait would be 2 1/2 months. All the cars that came in did not come with my interior (black leather). I was told I can do special orders. In the end I called Hyundai corporate because my dealer would not give me a build date. I was told they do not do special orders. I spoke with the manager at my dealer and he said you will be waiting a long long time for the black interior (well past 3 months). I should have been told initially that Hyundai does not do special orders. I am disappointed because I was mislead and lost a month waiting for a car with specifications which had a slim chance of coming in. As a result, I canceled my order. I will now consider a Ford. And besides their cars come with a spare mini-tire.
  • borgward3borgward3 Posts: 6
    When to do first oil change 2011 Elantra Limited? Nothing in the owners manual saying when, only regular oil change interval.

Doing it myself as Round Rock Hyundai ruined our first 2011 Elantra when they did the first oil change. Had to wait 3 months to get the car replaced.

Wondering what weight oil to use as we are having an extremely hot summer. They recommend 10w -30, 5w -20, 5w -30. I am thinking 10 w-30. The dealer said to change every 3750 mile. What should the interval be for synthetic?
    thetic?
    Oil filter for regular oil?
    Oil filter for syn
    What Happened that they had to replace your car? just for a oil change
    The engine seized. We insisted on a new car. Would you trust a shop that cant do an oil change to rebuild or replace an engine. Not me.

We had to wait 3 months to get the next new one. They sold our first one used for more than we paid for it new. Round Rock Hyundai did not report to Equifax that the engine had been ruined and rebuilt and/or replaced.
  • dodgeman07dodgeman07 Posts: 574
    My sister of all people (owns 2 Toyotas) sent me this link to CNNMoney's review of the new Elantra. Perfect car? They think so...........

CNNMoney.com
    so has any one hit 40 mpg yet with out going 55 mph? wIFE AND I ARE ON A TRIP THRU THE SOUTH , LITTLE OVER 3000 MILES ON ODOMETER HAVE JUST HIT 40 MPG ONLY THING WRONG THAT WAS AT BETWEEN 55 AND 60 MPH. AND TRAFFIC BEHIND ME PASSING LIKE I WAS STANDING STILL, OVER 60 MILES PER HOUR, MPG REALLY DROPS. BEST I CAN DO IS 34MPG SO FAR, IS THIS GOOD? TAKES A LONG TRIP WITH MPG COMPUTER TO GET UP TO THE HI NUMBERS AND NOT SO LONG TO GET TO THE LOW NUMBERS. LIKE THE CAR A LOT BUT NOT SURE HYUNDIA SHOULD ADVERTIZE 40MPG WITH OUT SOME DISCLAMIERS . OR HAVE I MISSED THOSE DISCLAIMERS?
  • sockerssockers Posts: 4
    Hello,

What does your Avg MPG say on the instrument panel? When I check my mileage, it usually lags a couple miles/gallon less than the digital read-out. I have gotten around 39 on the hwy and that is driving around the speed limit - 70 mph. Around town about 24-29 mpg.

Let me know.

John
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,784
    We only got 39 on the hwy. I am guessing that the advertised mileage was done on 100% gasoline. You are probably using a gasoline/ethanol mix. Theoretically ethanol should cut mileage 3 to 6 percent. In practice many drivers are reporting about a 15% mileage reduction.

The Elantra weighs in at a very heavy 3700 pounds. That really cuts into stop and go mileage. My 99 mercury tracer weighs in at about 2800 pounds. Best mileage was 42. Worst I got was 28 with a lead foot. I get 34 to 36 mixed driving. I can did get 39 on the hwy cruising at 75 to 85 mph. Mileage is now lower since the switch to the ethanol mix.
  • tenpin288tenpin288 Posts: 804
    edited June 2011
    The Elantra weighs in at a very heavy 3700 pound

Uh, no. More like 2800 lb.

2011 Elantra specs
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Posts: 1,678
    heh...just about A6 weight
    Will post more numbers when done trip. a vg so far is around 34 mpg highway travel between 65 to 72 mph. top 38 one time but no more, would be happen with a steady 37 mpg on hiway driving. Will let u all no later will be back home to florida thursday 23rd
    price increase for the 2012 elantra limited with nav pgk 23305 looks like increase of around 600 dollars.
    my bad wrong pricing on 2012 elantra not 600 increase little under 300

2011 msrp 23045 invoice 22010

2012 msrp 23305 invoice 22255 $245 more then 2011
  • bigdogbitubigdogbitu Posts: 39
    Must have increased since my purchase in December. Mine was $22,880 which included the floor mats, wheel locks and ipod cable. :surprise: