Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2011 Hyundai Elantra

Comments

• crkyolfrtcrkyolfrt Posts: 2,345
    good! :)

but are you sure about the 5? I suspect they may go 6? But DI offers up impressive torque at low revs so the 6 isn't needed really to deliver good fuel economy.
    Often they use 6 speeds to cater to public ignorant pressure.
    "But honey, this one has a six-speed"... type of mentality.

Although it isn't quite as simple as I am making the joke about it being, since (especially with autos) the extra speeds can optimize engine revs/speed you're doing especially in town.

Highway differences less so...except that the mfgrs use lower final drive ratios in std trannies, (to help with wty claims, lugging induced) so the autos tend to do better on the highway due to nothing more than fewer rpms at the same speed.
  • Wow, with the tape on the car, the sleek roofline makes it look like a coupe! Very nice!
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,876
    A reporter is interested in talking with someone who thinks perhaps the competition has caught up to Toyota and Honda; someone who may be considering new brands for the first time in awhile.

If you are interested in commenting on your experience, please reply to pr@edmunds.com no later than 5pm, Thursday, November 11, 2010, and include your city and state of residence, your email address and your telephone number.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• m6userm6user Posts: 2,994
    The standard tranny is a 5 spd stick. The auto version is a 6spd dual clutch tranny. At least that's what I have read. Go ahead and Google 2012 Ford Focus specs and see what you get. I believe the Elantra gets the new 6 spd auto tranny but I'm not sure if the stick will be 5 or 6 speeds.
    edited November 2010
    Here is a link to an article about the new Elantra which states all versions will achieve at least 40mpg plus a little more info on the drivetrain.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/11/12/entire-2012-hyundai-elantra-line-to-hit-40-mp- - g-on-highway/
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,715
    edited November 2010
    Besides the FE numbers, the other significant thing in that article is the model year: 2012. That indicates the new Elantra won't hit the U.S. until after Jan. 1. Yes other recent articles say "2011" and claim the car will debut before year's end. I guess we'll know for sure in a few days.
  • 29/40 mpg AND 148 hp?? This engine has to have direct injection because that blows away my 2010 Accent 1.6. Could it be that Hyundai has managed to completely eclipse the original fuel economy champ, Honda? It seems Honda has completely lost their way and Hyundai was only too happy to pick up where they left off. Based on this info, I would expect the 2012 Accent to reach 42-44 mpg. If it can achieve that, there really is no reason to buy hybrids like the Insight. All I gotta say is DOH!!! I missed all this new technology by mere months. Why couldn't the crook wait 5 months to steal my Integra??
    Used cars are selling at premium prices now, maybe you could sell your Accent and get a new Elantra or Accent in an few months. If it's like new and with 4 years of warranty left, you might not lose a lot on that deal if you do a private-party sell. However, I expect the deals on the new Accent and Elantra won't be quite as good as what can be had today on the Accent and Elantra. For example, a local dealer is advertising 2010 Elantra GLSes for $179/month lease, sign-and-drive (0 out of pocket).
    That's the question I guess. In todays autoblog.com and cars.com articles they both mention the 2011 Elantra and that it will be available this year. It would make sense to me to come out in Jan/Feb timeframe and call it a 2012, kind of like they did with the Sonata and get at least a year and a half out of it. Everything I read though recently says it will be in dealerships by the end of the year. Wouldn't that make it a short model run if they come out with the 2012s by late fall?
    Yes, that's another reason to make the new Elantras 2011 models. Also, notice there is no 2011 Elantra sedan right now--but there's 2011 Hyundai Everything-Else's. Another hint the new Elantra sedan will be a 2011 model.
  • More info and pics here

They seem to think it will debut as a 2011 before the end of the year.
  • crkyolfrtcrkyolfrt Posts: 2,345
    If that's the case (it being 2011) then the best deals will be on a used 2011 next Aug.
    Hyd might do this if they feel that the new car has so much to offer that people won't wait, but anyone who buys the end of Dec will only get 7 mo out of their new car year. That's costly depreciation no matter how you slice it, unless Hyd plans a cost increase for 2012.
    But if they call it a 2012 this yr then the best deal is now.
  • And just a little more info from Auto Week
    Proof readers at AW must be on vacation. "Standard" leather, moonroof, and heated front/rear seats? Only on the top-trim model I'm sure. Still, a lot of features for a top-end Elantra. That article also said the top-end model would get the 1.8L engine. I had the impression it would be on all the US Elantras.

I wonder how the rear head room will be on the new Elantra--looks like it's lower than the current design. The Sonata suffered there with the new styling.
  • And another new tidbit... The next-gen Touring arriving maybe next year will be based on the new Elantra!

New Elantra Touring
    The Limited comes standard with the leather, moonroof, etc. and the only engine is the 1.8L. Other articles I've read said the base GLS doesn't come with A/C but that is part of the GLS Popular Equip. Pkg which I'm assuming that 99% would get. Just doing that to bring it in at a very low starting point.

AW piece just goes to show you how much real thought goes into some of these articles.
    Did anybody think it would be based on the old style?
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 14,453
    no, but the current touring isn't based on the current elantra, so I guess the news is that they platforms are being merged.

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (daughter stole that one), and 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again)

The body is different but I think the frame and powertrain are the same and the interior is pretty much identical to the current Elantra. Just seems like a no brainer that they would continue the fluid sculpture thing into the hatch version.
  • Hmm...I'm not really liking the center console design. It looks a bit too stylized and busy. The center vents are mounted rather low too. I think the Sonata's design is better. I also prefer the clean simple design of my '10 Accent.
  • If I remember right, the current ET is loosely based off the European i30 (?) and not the current Elantra. I'll look into it later today.
    edited November 2010
    The powertrain and interior are the same, with the exception of a few extra bits on the Touring e.g. lumbar support and cooled glovebox (which I think was dropped for 2011). Also Touring has ESC standard even on the GLS... a difference that will disappear when the new sedan debuts. From test drive reports, it appears the suspension is different, with the Touring having crisper handling than the current sedan. Maybe the Touring is tuned for European tastes, since all us Americans like a squishy ride. (wink)
  • tenpin288tenpin288 Posts: 804
    edited November 2010
    The ET is more i30 than US Elantra as I sort of remembered...

Autoguide

Wikipedia

and the ever-popular and authoritative Facebook
    Ah yes, Facebook... THE source for automotive info. (wink)
    Like Backy said the interior and powertrains are the same as the regular US Elantra. I guess the body panels, frame and suspension are off the Euro i30 which, when doing a redesign, are probably the more critical elements.

Someone mentioned the dash being busy. If you look at the new Focus and other new compact cars I think you will see that they too appear a little busy. They are packing all the goodies from the larger cars into the smaller ones now and just don't have as much room to spread the stuff out and make it look quite as nice. The steering wheels on all cars are getting to be pretty darn busy too.
    It might be busy, but at least it's interesting... better than a slab of grey/black plastic.

Actually, I kinda liked the dash layout of the current Elantra--everything in easy reach, especially the 3 simple HVAC knobs. Nice big center outlets also. Such is the result of "progress"...

Why not put voice-activated controls in a car like this? That technology can't be that expensive anymore, for functions for which there's an electronic control (e.g. on the wheel) anyway. Ford has it on cars like the Focus and Festiva, yes? So not that hard to do on a low-end car.
    Yeah, it should be fairly easy and inexpensive. If you look hard at the Fords you will notice that they seem to have just as many buttons and look just as busy even though they have the voice control. Something I noticed on the Ford Edge when I looked at it was there was about three different ways to adjust the same things which seemed like overkill to me. I like tech and bells/whistles but there does come a time where enough is enough and instead of making things less complicated it becomes a little busy. You still have to drive these things.

I don't mind the look of dash layout at all. Being a little busy doesn't mean unattractive to me, it just means there's alot going on.
  • kernickkernick Posts: 4,072
    edited November 2010
    Something I noticed on the Ford Edge when I looked at it was there was about three different ways to adjust the same things which seemed like overkill to me.

Well it's a simple case of "you don't want to put all your eggs in one basket". I mean we've all electronics fail on us, whether it's some board in your TV, a hard-drive failure, or just a loose wire. In a vehicle you certainly don't want a failure in the voice-recognition system to disable many of the functions of the vehicle. I like separate switches and controls, and being able to override any electronics. Bells and whistles are great when they work, but they are all destined to fail at various points.

BTW - I'm driving a 2009 Elantra rental right now, and like it. Smooth, decent pickup, a nice stereo. I've also sat in a new Sonata at the mall. I'll have to check out the new Elantra. It looks like the perfect economy vehicle.
  • Anyone know if the motor has a chain or timing belt?
    Are they maintenance free to 100k like Hondas?

I am pretty much sold on the look!