Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2011 Hyundai Elantra

Comments

• bigdogbitubigdogbitu Posts: 39
    edited March 2011
    The bluetooth hookup is inconsistent. Usually connects automatically but at times needs to be done manually. Sometimes does not connect at all.

I have the Limited with navigation.
  • rich27514rich27514 Posts: 41
    Must be the NAV that makes the difference. Mine hooks up perfectly every time.
  • lcw1lcw1 Posts: 35
    Your logic based on your statement does not make sense: "A few posts ago I gave you an example of how today's 2011 Elantra actually costs LESS than the same model from 2001". Between 1999 and 2000 Ford, Chevy, and Toyota's share prices were 10 times more than what they are now. So if you value a company based on it's assets and stock prices a 2011 Elantra price should be a lot cheaper that a 2000 Elantra. You can also add the fact that companies are a lot more automated and productive these days. Granted there is cost in research and development but that hardly justifies what they charge for cars these days. You can make the argument that Chevy and Ford have to charge more because of debts and overhead from the past , but a company like Hyundai and Kia should not be in the same boat.
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Posts: 1,652
    Just to jump in...

I'm not certain how share price comes into the picture when you're comparing the historical costs of automobiles and the 'value' of them.

You could argue that there is no added value in power mirrors and remove that item from your calculations...but I still think even when you remove all the 'junk' the newer cars are cheaper.

...Back in my day you could buy a loaf of bread for a nickel :)
  • lcw1lcw1 Posts: 35
    Ivan_99: Thanks for replying. The share price analogy is precisely why historical prices do not apply for cars. Today a loaf of bread costs 10 times what it costs 20 years ago. At the same time a computer costs 100 times less today than it did 20 years ago. Technology makes products cheaper not more expensive.
    heh...i think i was saying the same thing.

Avg price of bread in 1991 = 1.25
    Avg price of bread in 2011 = 1.62 (avg)

Inflation of 1.25 (in 1991) in todays $'s = $2.03

Looks like bread is cheaper not 10 times as much...

anyway...I agree with the earlier post; the Elantra is much cheaper today; and would be much cheaper without any options (power windows, mirrors, etc...).

Not cheaper like pc's are cheaper but maybe similar to bread ;)
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,623
    A car is not a computer. A car has a much higher parts cost than a typical computer. Anyway, please show me where I can buy a new high-end desktop computer for $40-50.

Similarly, if you compare an Elantra of ten years ago to one today, you see a lot of technology, and features, and expensive parts, that were not there 10 years ago. And in those ten years, prices of the car's raw materials have shot up, e.g. all the high-strength steel used in the 2011 Elantra costs more than the regular steel used in 2001.

Shipping costs have increased. Labor costs have increased--not just for factory workers, but all the other jobs associated with designing, shipping, and marketing a car. Oil prices are up, which affects raw materials (plastics) but also costs for running factories and transport.

If technology makes prices cheaper, why aren't new houses cheaper, like for like, than they were ten years ago? If there was any drop in price, it's because of the recession, not technology. Sales prices for cars dipped during the recession too. Now they're on their way back up, especially for cars in demand--like the 2011 Elantra.
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 13,584
    if you are interested in what they think, consumers reports just tested the Elantra (along with the Jetta and the Cruz), and the elantra is now their highest rated small car.

the Jetta was panned, and rated at the bottom. the cruz, not much better.

Car and Driver also has a comparison test in their latest issue. the Elantra finished 3rd of 5, ahead of the cruz and jetta, behind the mazda 3 and focus. But, C&D always does go for sporty over everything else!

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (when daughter lets me see it), 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again), and new Jetta SE (son's first new car on his own dime!)

CR did not test the new Focus (obviously doesn't mean it would win).

But some of their test scores are pretty close.
    Mazda 3 --- 77
    Elantra ---- 80

Cruze and Jetta in the 60's...
    just looked, and the latest rankings were Elantra 80, sentra 74 (!), Mazda 70. So pretty big spread.

Jetta was 60 even. Not good.

and C&D absolutely ripped it to shreds too.

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (when daughter lets me see it), 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again), and new Jetta SE (son's first new car on his own dime!)

I'm not surprised to see the Elantra at the top of the cars CR has tested. It will be interesting to see where they rank the Focus; they rated the old Focus highly in the past. Also, they don't score based on price, so the fact the Focus is pricey for a compact will have no impact on their scoring.

I am very surprised the Cruze did so poorly in CR's testing. The only big things I don't like about it, other than the price, are rear-seat leg room and lack of features/options on the LS e.g. cruise.
    Just saw Hyundai's March sales. Elantra had what might be its biggest sales month in NA in history, nearly 20,000 units--compared to just over 8,000 units a year ago. No wonder we're seeing resistance by some dealers to deal on the 2011 Elantra. It's a very hot car right now.
    Is that a magazine or the online (I would assume they are the same)?

I'm looking at the mazda 3 now and it shows a "CR overall score" of 77.

Maybe the number you have is the comparison score and not the overall.

The VW Golf overall has a 85 and is also check-marked as "Recommended".

Any way...the new Elantra is very intriguing.
    the latest issue (just came yesterday). They don't always show every car in the ratings box, just the ones they consider comparable, or newly rated. the mazda 3i they list scored a 70. the Jetta, 60 even.

ahh...I see now.

bit of a tangent...but was bugging me :)

The Mazda 3i Touring (AT) is 70
    The Mazda 3i Touring (MT) is 74
    The Mazda 3s sport hatch is 77
    Mazdaspeed3 is 83

fwiw
    that's how CR does it. they were comparing AT small sedans, so that is what they listed in the chart.

• dudleyrdudleyr Posts: 3,406
    Interesting that the Elantra was only 29 mpg in the CR article. The current Corolla gets 32 on the same test despite much lower epa numbers. Seems like the new numbers might be a little optimistic.

The Cruze was down right bad in mpg - about the same as the Sonata or the Altima. Terrible for a car with such a cramped back seat.
    just happens to be what they got on their particular test. YMMV!

the cruze is a porker, so that is going to hurt it around town.

Since you have the article... what did the Elantra get on the highway in CR's testing?
  • tenpin288tenpin288 Posts: 804
    They reported 39 mpg highway in the article.