Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2011 Hyundai Elantra

Comments

• lostwrench1lostwrench1 Ct.Posts: 476
    The Yaris speedometer is no longer in the center of the dash. 2012 ---->
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,822
    A reporter is interested in talking with owners of a 2011 or 2012 Hyundai Elantra who are also parents. If you are interested in commenting on your experience, please reply to pr@edmunds.com no later than Monday, October 31, 2011 and include your city and state of residence, the model year of your vehicle and the age of your child/ren.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Took my car to the dealership this morning for its first oil change. When I picked it up, they told me they did a recall check and said they had to replace the entire face plate for my audio panel. Since it was already done......what could I say? There certainly wasnt anything wrong w/ the audio or the appearance before I took it in. I've been googling all afternoon and do not find a word about any kind of recall on a 2011 Hyundai Limited. No nav.

what do you all think?
  • I seen a few tsb's on the audio systems, but no recalls. Check here http://www.nhtsa.gov/
  • I think the recall was to change the blue backlighted radio display panel - which shows station etc. Mine was fine but they changed it anyway - perhaps because of a high failure rate.
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 39,961
    A reporter is interested in talking with owners of a 2011 or 2012 Kia Optima, Kia Sorento, Hyundai Elantra, Ford Focus, Honda Fit, Honda Odyssey, Mazda 5, Subaru Outback, Dodge Durango, or Toyota Sienna. If you are interested in commenting on your experience, please reply to pr@edmunds.com no later than Friday, November 30, 2011 and include your city and state of residence, the model year of your vehicle and the age of your child/ren.

Thanks!

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• As I arrived at the airport to pick up my neighbors, the thought suddenly struck, "OMG they have SKIS with them!!" Well I hadnt had a chance to fold down the seats yet, and said a little prayer that they had a split. They do! So, in went 2 pairs of skis, 2 giant suitcases, 2 very large carry on bags, and a 2 full paper shopping bags. And the 2 extra adults. No problem. No laps or footspace needed. Wow what a great little car.

Just had to post this as all I hear lately is gripes about the mileage. (me included).
  • Hi, I lost my manual. Anyone knows if 2011 Hyundai Elantra has an oil change indicator from dashboard? Change oil every 3k, 7k?
    Thanks
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Posts: 1,662
    Edmunds has a page here that directs you towards the Hyundai site where you can download the pdf.
  • It is very irritating when my 2011 Elantra Limited doesnt get 40MPG on the highway. The biggest killer of MPG performance on this car is the defrost. It can cost me as much as 10 mpg when I use the defrost for my vent settings. Apparently the defrost triggers the a/c compressor and you can guess what happens from then on no 40 mpgs and money out of your pocket.
  • Do not use your defrost vent setting on the highway if want to get 40mpg. This turns on the a/c compressor and down go the mpgs and money out of your wallet.
  • Very interesting! I had no idea "defrost" used the compressor. I often use "defrost" as here in the NW, we get so much cold rain. I'm one of those elantra owners that used to get great mileage from a 10 year old Corolla and poor mileage on my 2011 Elantra. (av 21-23 mpg/city) Same commute, etc.

Will keep you posted on my attempts to drive without "defrost".
    I think *all* manufacturers turn the AC on with defrost (for a long while...maybe 15 years or so). Some let you turn off the AC as a stand-alone option.

The new EPA ratings take AC usage into affect when performing their calculations.
  • flyingv82flyingv82 Posts: 5
    Wanted to see if anyone has had this issue.
    My 2011 Elantra (around 19,500 mile and less than 1 year old) has on 2 occasions blanketed the road with very dark grayish smoke. I say blanketed because I couldn't see anything behind me on a 4 lane interstate due to the amount that blew out of my exhaust. The car has only had maintenance done at Hyundai dealers and always on time. The first time the Hyundai tech couldn't find anything wrong and left it at that. The second time, the tech said it is the ethanol blended gas causing buildup in the engine and the smoke is due to that buildup being burned off.

I'm trying to find if there is any truth to this statement and if anyone has heard of this before.
    Never heard of it on a 2011...

On older cars we (when younger...) used to give them the "Italian tune-up"...take it on the highway and floor it to get the carbon build up removed.

Were you just getting on the highway giving it a large amount of gas...or just cruising along.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Posts: 3,426
    This is not good at all. It is also not caused by any normal fuel. If you get blueish smoke behind your car under load (full throttle uphill) it means that you are probably burning oil that is leaking past your rings. A well tuned car should have colorless exhaust all the time.

You can try driving up a hill under load to see if that replicates the problem. You can also look at all the spark plugs. If you are burning oil they may have oil on them or be darker in color - a healthy plug has a light greyish or tan color. Spark plugs are a good indicator of engine health. did the dealer do a compression check? That would also tell you if the rings are leaking.
    Both times I was getting onto the highway/interstate. The first time the RPMs jumped to 5500. Out of all the cars I have owned, many of them with well over 100,000 miles, I've never seen this before.

So far it isn't look good for Hyundai if they are looking for a repeat customer. This is my first and most likely last Hyundai.
    I just talked to the Hyundai technician at the dealer and they said they checked all through the engine and transmission and since they couldn't pull an error code (check engine light never came on) they couldn't do anything.

This weekend I am going to drive it around and try to recreate the problem. So far the smoking is not consistent at all with mine or my wife's driving habits.
    That's pretty lame...not everything throws error codes...hey my door latch doesn't work...sorry, I didn't detect an error code.

It may be difficult...but if you're going to try recreate it try to see if you can have somebody record a video of it. Without a video, if you cannot recreate it in front of the mechanic I don't think they'll do anything for you.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Posts: 3,426
    Low compression or leaking rings would most likely not throw a code. They need to step it up and look into this. A compression test is not that expensive. Just take out the plugs hook up the tester and crank the engine.