Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2011 Hyundai Elantra

Comments

• carfreak09carfreak09 Posts: 160
    edited December 2010
    Ewwwwww....not liking the looks of the base Elantra in white. The styling doesn't look so hot in that example. The tan interior does seem to have a yellow/orange hue that you mentioned earlier that isn't too attractive either.

I think this is a car that will look much better in darker hues with gray or black interiors.

I do like the almost bucket like rear seats. It looks like you would feel like sitting in a coddling chair that holds you in place around turns instead of sliding around with no support on a flat bench.
  • benjaminhbenjaminh Posts: 1,785
    edited December 2010
    gimmestdtranny: wow. Great explanation of this stuff. ++ Thanks. I'm a manual tran lover myself, and it's nice to read this. I'm a dunce, however, and I'm not sure I fully understand lock up, but I get that it's a good thing in terms of maximizing the translation of power to the wheels through the transmission. I don't skip gears often, although do once in a while. But I'm certainly in neutral at a light.

I get about the epa rating for my 08 Accord 5MT--which I think is 22 in the city and 31 on the hwy. I might possibly get 35 mpg at 65mpg without AC. But normally on long trips in the summer I'm going more like 72+, the AC is on, the thing is fully loaded with 4 passengers lots of luggage, etc., and so it's really 29-31--which is still pretty good for what is considered a "full size" car.
  • benjaminhbenjaminh Posts: 1,785
    I think it looks fine in white.

But isn't the epa city rating for this 29 not 27?

The manual sounds good, but then they say there's not much reason to go for it (except to save $1000 and have more fun driving if you like shifting, that is...?). Well, I guess they do mention long gear ratios. I wonder how long. Esp in a 6 speed?

"When equipped with the manual transmission, long gear ratios keep the Elantra from feeling as peppy as its automatic-equipped counterpart. The clutch is predictably soft for vehicle that's more comfortable fielding the morning commute than carving canyons, and the piece provides a much more linear release than its corporate cousin, the Kia Forte. The friction point is miraculously forgiving, making the Elantra an appealing option for those new to the third pedal. The shifter is surprisingly precise, providing a tactile notch to let you know exactly when you've landed the next gear."
  • Autoblog got it wrong again. it's 29, not 27. i saw one in my local dealer already. it says 29/40. and go check Hyundai's website, it clearly says 29. Autoblog is full of mistakes. they think Elantra came out first came out 4 years ago. lol
  • m6userm6user Posts: 3,017
    edited December 2010
    "We will never know though".

Yes, we will know because her wrist was pinned under the vehicle.

Sunroofs are great if you like them....not so great if you don't. Simple as that.
    I think it was typos not ignorance. I''m pretty sure they know the Elantra's been around a long time. Terrible proofreading though.
  • crkyolfrtcrkyolfrt Posts: 2,345
    You're welcome, glad you got something out of it.

" I get that it's a good thing in terms of maximizing the translation of power to the wheels through the transmission."

You are no dunce by any means... you got that exactly right. I was using the term lockup meaning that at the point there is no slip. Each rotation of the engine has a relative, consistent affect on wheel rotation, determined by the ratios in the gears and the transmission's final drive. Well... technically, the differential gearing and tire circumference are also factors, but not in the example of describing lock up.

That is why autos have torque converter lockup abilities, so that there becomes a direct connection, eliminating slip. But until you have lockup, there is a lot of slip. This touches a bit on the principle as to why a CVT tranny can do better in town than most conventional autos. While it may sound like the tranny is slipping, it is actually as the variable ratio pulleys match engine rpm in relation the road speed. That is why you can deadfoot your gas pedal and see the car speed raise, while the revs drop. There are still losses though, because of course there has to still be a torque converter in use at stops while in gear. Some CVTs may use dual clutch tech, if not maybe all of them. I am not up on the newer CVTs.

Your practice of using neutral at a light is a good habit. Some driving course instructors might argue it (more on 2 wheels..mbikes), as there are yah and nay sayers, but there is no denying that you extend the clutch throw-out bearing's life a lot with your habit. I do it too.

I think that besides the obvious reasons many people prefer autos in heavy congested stop and go traffic and the generally accepted universality that more people can accomplish the task of driving easier with an auto, is that emission regulations played a part in people going away from sticks. It's the drivability while upshifting when the revs hang between gears. It can be really annoying. My old Pathfinder 4 cyl did that more than most. It used a throttle body injection, but it was common practice to hang revs as some means of controlling emissions. It made/makes gear matching a bit harder. It is most noticeable the more aggressive you are as you accelerate up thru the gears. While some cars still do it, it is not as freq as it used to be years ago. And of course an auto camouflages that trait by nature of its operation.
  • well, they fixed it now. and fixed it to 29/40. :)
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,748
    So... not sure you noticed, but I agreed with you: if a stick outdoes an automatic in fuel economy, it's more likely in city driving.

Ok, then... forward with the Elantra discussion!
    edited December 2010
    Despite some errors in the Autoblog review, I am grateful to them for a couple of things. One, they tested a base, stick GLS. Not many auto mags test the base trim these days. Two, they have LOTS of photos--both of the tan and grey interior. Which leads me to some conclusions:

* I could easily live with the plastic wheel covers on the GLS. Actually, I kinda like them more than the alloys on the Limited.

* The tan interior is definitely a "nyet". What looks particularly bad/cheap is the mis-matched color of the lower dash and the door panels. Plus the orangeish tint to the lower dash. The grey looks MUCH better, and from what I can tell the GLS in grey will be pretty sharp. The cloth on the seats looks OK, but it would have to be grey. Need a close inspection of the seat fabric though.

* Since I don't need leather or a factory nav system (a portable or my Blackberry is just fine the few times I need nav), looks like the GLS Popular AT would do it. No Bluetooth, but with a Bluetooth headset not sure I really need that. I can live w/o the steering wheel audio controls, lights on the vanity mirrors, and sliding armrest also--although those would all be nice to have.

I would like a moonroof, but that's not available on the GLS and I can't see getting the Limited just to get one.
  • http://www.windingroad.com/articles/reviews/driven-2011-hyundai-elantra/
    http://www.autoweek.com/article/20101205/CARREVIEWS/101209946
    http://www.thecarconnection.com/marty-blog/1052200_2011-hyundai-elantra-first-dr- ive
    http://content.usatoday.com/communities/driveon/post/2010/12/hyundai-elantra-40-- mpg-review/1

"More impressive than making a compact model physically bigger, though, is how Hyundai has made its Elantra drive with the smoothness and composure that most would expect of a vehicle a class or two larger. We immediately were struck by the very low levels of wind noise in the new car, as well as being thoroughly impressed with the stability exhibited by the car at high freeway speeds. Smaller models, even some of the very newest, have a tendency to wander a bit on the highway with too-light steering coming off as a bit fidgety when one would simply like to drive in a straight line. Elantra tracked true at 80 miles per hour, and did so without having to resort to a weirdly weighted steering experience for a relatively low-mass car. There was still a bit more tire noise that we’d like, but overall the car proved utterly calm and capable in the role of high-speed commuter." Winding Road
    edited December 2010
    I know you're somewhat of a minimalist but I would pop for the Limtied. I look at my car as something more than just what's absolutely necessary to get me from point a to point b safely. Like to splurge a little. Heck, we're talking about an Elantra here, aren't we saving enough money already. Dropping a couple of extra k on something I'm going to live with for 6-7 years is worth it IMO. I especially liked the sliding armrest as it put my elbow far enough forward to be able to rest it on the armrest and still hold the bottom of the steering wheel. Damn short arms. :cry:

The grey looks really good in both GLS and Limited I think. Cars.com did a short review and they said they drove fairly aggresively for about 100 miles on hilly, curvy country roads and still averaged 38mpg. Pretty darn good on a brand new engine!

From the windingroad review:

"We were able to see 40 mpg when we reset the calculator for a strictly freeway portion of our drive—still a fairly long, hilly stretch of highway, so we’ve little doubt that a steady cruise of 70 miles per hour or so in the flatter parts of the country could net numbers in the low- to mid-forties."

Impressive.
    You don't like moonroofs, so I'm surprised you'd go for the Limited.

I don't like leather interiors that much. The seat heaters help in the winter, but they don't have seat coolers for the summer (well, no economy car has those). And I actually prefer plastic wheel covers over alloys, if the covers look OK. Alloys get beat up and pitted over time, and can leak.

There's some features that I've grown to love over the years and now I wouldn't want to be without them. They include AC, power windows (esp. on anything with more than 2 doors), power mirrors, seat height adjuster, telescopic steering column, trip computer, and of course all the latest safety features including ESC and traction control. But I can:

* Use the controls on the radio instead of on the wheel.
    * Use my phone headset if I have to talk on the phone in the car, instead of a built-in speaker.

And my arms are long enough for most center armrests. I haven't had a sliding one yet; haven't missed it.

Also, at the same time I buy my next car, I'm going to buy my daughter a car for school. That one will most likely be gently used. But it's going to mean $25k or so at least for both. So the $3k extra for the Limited might be important... especially if I manage to retire at about that time.
    edited December 2010
    You don't like moonroofs, so I'm surprised you'd go for the Limited.

It's not really that I don't like them. They help resale I guess but I just don't end up using them. But I would want just about everything else in the Limited and you just can't get the Limited without the sunroof. I was disappointed with the Optima in that if you wanted the tech pkg you have to order the other pkg with the moonroof. Still may go that route but wish I didn't have to. To me it's just a useless hole in the roof. Once in a great while when cruising on a perfect day I may open mine but I can't say it really does much for me.

The buttons on the wheel for the radio are not that big of deal but I hate wearing the earpiece for bluetooth. I have a little Blueant speaker that works pretty good but I think it is starting to go as people are starting to get annoyed with the way it sounds. I look forward to getting the bluetooth built in so the radio automatically mutes and you hear the other person through the car's speakers. Hopefully, the mike they use for these systems is of good quality.

I see where the Feds may require backup cameras in a couple of years. I think that is a good idea and I look forward to having that as well.

Save your pennies for when all these doodads start blanking out.(sad face)
  • could you post the cars.com review? i can't find it. i read the couple of first drive review, but didn't see any mpg numbers.
  • bobadbobad Posts: 1,587
    edited December 2010
    Who knows? Maybe if the Elantra's tank were bigger, it wouldn't get 40 mpg highway. And I'll bet that was THE target for Hyundai to hit on the Elantra. Look at all the attention they're trying to bring to that number. Now they're even reporting number of "40 mpg cars" sold every month (192 in November).

Losing weight makes better mileage, and you get an "un-snowballing" effect.

Car makers have barely touched the primary reason for poor mileage, which is weight.

At some weight point, suspension, wheels, tires, brakes, etc, can be made lighter/smaller. The lighter weight then requires a smaller engine, smaller tank,,, so you get a chain reaction. It all starts with the engine, and everything follows. Hyundai is a leader in specific power. I can foresee 55mpg Elantra-sized cars with small turbodiesels in 2-3 years.
    "I can foresee 55mpg Elantra-sized cars with small turbodiesels in 2-3 years."

Me too, but only if we, as North Americans, were smart enough to buy (demand) them. We live with our collective heads up our butts, as we soak up less than totally accurate representations of what real world fuel mileage expectations we can have. And even if the gas jobs do fairly well, the percentages fall off the farther north and the colder climates you go. Diesels still get the most work done on a gallon of fuel and do so on consistently less fuel (out of a 12 month, 4 season climate) than even hybrids do.

Make mine a proper manual transmission please..

One comment I have on weight. As consumers demand more and more crash protection (rather than learn defensive road sharing with a smile and a wave {and exhibit the ability to drive a manual would be a nice touch indicating true driving competency}) then cars are always fighting the weight penalty. Aluminum can only replace steel in so many places, because it has a more rigid (read brittle) impact component, which is not as conducive to absorbing impact forces, and those are the ones that cause the worse injuries to us in a collision. It is also more expensive than steel and requires greater costs to smelt (i think), so for now its use will be reserved for replacing iron blocks in engines, and certain steel suspension parts and of course wheel rims, which have the bonus of less unsprung weight, thereby allowing easier and more effective suspension tuning.
    Me too, but only if we, as North Americans, were smart enough to buy (demand) them. We live with our collective heads up our butts, as we soak up less than totally accurate representations of what real world fuel mileage expectations we can have

A large obstacle to weight savings that many don't consider is passenger load.

The new Elantra probably has close to 1000Lb weight capacity. Reduce passenger weight limit to say 500Lbs, and the vehicle weight could take another huge round of reductions. (overloaded car wouldn't start).

If car makers would rate their cars for weight capacity, they would be unhampered in reducing vehicle weight in smaller cars. Of course that may be politically incorrect to some. :blush:

Crash worthiness is not as big a factor as you may think. It can be accomplished with less steel these days.

I'll bet you the next Elantra has a TD engine, weighs significantly less than the 2011, though interior room may suffer just a tad, and a 10 gallon tank.
    If you want a car with a ~500 lb capacity i.e. two largish adults and with less steel (and more plastic), it exists today: the Smart ForTwo.

I'll take the heavier, more commodious Elantra any day though, even though its fuel economy is a bit less.
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 14,977
    stopped yesterday to check one out. since their only unit had to be brought around, took it for a ride too. This was a limited premium, so 22K+ sticker.

It did have the tan interior, but the colors did not bother me. actually resembled the interior of a BMW with the same colors.

anyway, plenty of room, but I did have to drop the seat a little (i tend to sit "tall"). fine in the back seat too.

very nice style, and great looking interior. Engine was very peppy and smooth, and tranny seemed fine. Seemed quick. some road noise, but seemed to be just tires. but not overly loud.

only thing I did not like was the seat angle. If this had a power drivers seat (or at least front/rear height adjustment) it would be about perfect. I can't stand the 1 ratchet lever height adjustment, because I can never get the cushion tilted up enough for me.

also the seat seemed to pinch a littlat at the bottom, but that could be just the way I had it adjusted. Did not really play with it. At least the cushion seemed long enough.

overall, this is a winner.

2013 Acura RDX (wife's) and 2007 Volvo S40 (mine)

• Drove one today. My impression was that they have managed to put a mid-size cabin into a compact vehicle. It has excellent leg room and comfortable seats with a bit of padding in the lumbar region of the seatback.

Driving impression was that of a previous generation mid-size. More than adequate power, transparent shifting with the six-speed automatic and a very quiet engine. Mileage indicated was unbelievable. At a steady 60mph freeway drive for 15 miles, 45.1mpg. This with a new engine was almost beyond belief.

This will be the one to beat in 2011. The competition, from early spy pics and guessed at specs will still be looking a bit dowdy. Time will tell.
    FWIW, the Elantra has had mid-size interior room since the Gen 3 debuted in late 2000. I own one of those (a 2004 hatch) and it's been a great car. I appreciate the ability to put 6-footers in the back seat without cramping them. The Gen 4 was even better in back. I can't wait to compare the new Elantra to the last one. How was headroom, thigh support, and foot space in back?

The mpg is very good news. It looks at least 10% better than the Beta II engine, which could get 40 mpg at 55-60 mph cruising with a light foot. And the 45 mpg was on a new engine... Hyundai engines tend to get better mpg with time (maybe that's true with other makes too, but I've especially noticed it on the two Elantras I've owned).
    edited December 2010
    Drove one today. My impression was that they have managed to put a mid-size cabin into a compact vehicle.

This shows up on the exterior. It looks very "cab forward.
    I am 6', and sit "tall". Leg room was great, I think there was toe room if needed, and head room was OK. I was probably just touching sitting straight up.

probably more than good enough for most buyers, since I expect that if you are regularly transporting tall adults back there, you will probably get a bigger car!

• Please tell me I'm not the only one that this has happened to. I bought my BRAND NEW Elantra on October 8th. Today is December 11th....the car has 2600 miles on it, and the transmission has to be completely replaced. I am OUTRAGED. How could this have happened?
    it has to beg the question, so let's get it out of the way right off..

auto or manual, and what do you or they claim it does?
    at that mileage, it has to be a manufacturing or assembly defect. IOW, a fluke.

while I had my '04 in for a free oil change. They had four: a silver Limited (buried in snow), a Desert Sand GLS, and two black GLSes. I got to sit in the Desert Sand car as it was sitting idling while they cleared the parking lot of snow.

The first thing I noticed was that the lower dash did not have an orange-ish tint--not that I could notice anyway. It looked tan/camel, and matched the door panels and seat fabric quite well. I thought it looked fine. I think it shows pictures can be deceiving, also that tastes vary a lot.

The driver's seat was comfortable with firm support and good lumbar support. I had it set pretty high. The interior materials looked good to me and seemed of good quality for the class; quite a few padded surfaces including the dash top, door panels (cloth), and of course arm rests and top of center console. The only controls that were disappointing were the two concentric round knobs for fan and temperature; they seemed stiff, not silky smooth like on the two previous Elantra generations. Also, I would prefer a simple knob for HVAC function vs. several buttons--it took me some searching to find the button for "defrost". Once I found it though, it worked well to clear the huge windshield.

The back seat had enough room for two adults my size (I'm 5'10"). There was just enough toe space under the driver's seat for my size 10 tennies, and plenty of leg room. Thigh support was adequate, but headroom was tight--only about an inch clearance for me. The trunk seemed roomy, with the traditional hinges vs. struts.

I thought the Desert Sand car was very sharp; it had the optional 5-spoke alloys. But I also liked how the black cars caught the sunlight with a deep metal flake (I don't like black though--too hard to keep clean).

After looking at the tan and gray interiors, now I think I like the tan interior better, as it's less drab looking than the gray.
  • The thigh support was good, headroom was more than adequate and rear seat legroom was adequate. I'm not a tall person so the dimensions were just fine for my size. The only reservation I had was the control stack.

It seems to visually overpower the dashboard area somewhat. The controls are very convenient to use and noiseless in operation. The day was cold and the heater produced heat quickly.

Overall, I was very impressed with the quality and appearance of the Elantra and am sure it will do well in the competitive marketplace. The one I drove was assembled in AL.