Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GMC Acadia Engine Problems

124»

Comments

• We never had the "CHECK ENGINE OIL SOON" come on but monitored the engine life based on the car's computer system and consistently changed the oil and filter regularly. We are in the process of getting the specifications of the oil and filter. This vehicle has a computer system that indicates when to change the oil and filter based on revolutions and engine temperature not mileage.
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 49,753
    Who did the oil changes?

Moderator - Buying questions? Please include city or zip code and trim you are shopping, FWD or AWD, etc.

• thecardoc3thecardoc3 Posts: 3,357

We never had the "CHECK ENGINE OIL SOON" come on but monitored the engine life based on the car's computer system and consistently changed the oil and filter regularly. We are in the process of getting the specifications of the oil and filter. This vehicle has a computer system that indicates when to change the oil and filter based on revolutions and engine temperature not mileage.

The big question is whether the oil used was specifically noted as a GM dexos approved product or if it was just a conventional 5W30. The filter part numbers will be necessary to prove if they were an equivalent or not.

stever said:

Who did the oil changes?

That is one of the most important questions.

edited January 26
    @buyamerican8 Did you come up with the details of the services yet? What were the specifics of the engine failure?
    This might come down to one of those hard lessons to learn but the details could save someone else from a similar fate.
  • 2008 Acaida with 93k miles in the shop with a burnt cylinder. $2,700 bill to replace it and no explanation whatsoever as to what caused it!  Started out getting a message saying Traction Control off and Service Stablitrack. Reading the  same issues and complaints over and over again regarding these vehicles and no help from GM!  They extended the warranty for the transmissions but what about these major engine issues??!!!!  Rest assured I will never buy another GM ever!
  • etphalletphall Posts: 5
    I wrote a few weeks ago about having problems w/the dealer working on our 2009 Acadia's engine and know there are 100's and 100's of problems w/it. I know that several said that they hired an attorney to help but need to know if the attorney helped if the SUV was used and we will have had it for 3 years in August.
  • rayabloorayabloo Posts: 3
    This little web search for Acadia engine problems lets me know that I’m not alone. Our 2009 Acadia AWD SLT-2 had been decent to us until we hit about 110,000 miles, got it paid off and invested $800 for new tires. Three weeks ago a factory recall on some tensioner thing on the timing chain got us into the dealer shop. The local dealer fixed it and in the process damaged our struts. Then before we could get in for the dealer to fix the struts the engine seizes up and trashes out. The dip stick shows metal in the oil so they say we need a new engine and in general numbers that’s $6,000. So I got a hold of GM and they are “looking into the issue”. I can see a swearing match between GM and the dealer while I’m on HOLD. I doubt it has much trade in value now and if I did get them to fund another engine what’s next? After reading all the horror stories I don’t know about another Acadia. If I remember right I looked at some government agency registered complaints and 2008-2010 models had the most complaints. Are the days gone when you could put 100,000 + miles on a car? Now I’m really getting mad.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 51,832
    So how long after the timing chain was done did the engine seize up? How many miles after?

By "struts" I presume you mean hood struts.

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

Well this little web search on Acadia problems if very interesting and I can see I'm not alone. Our 2009 Acadia AWD SLT-2 HAD been good to us. UNTIL a factory recall on some tensioner for the timing chain. Local dealer performed the work and screwed up our struts. Before we could come back for them to fix the struts two weeks later the engine trashed out without warning.
    And by the way I've always used Mobil One 5w-20. Its one of the best.
124»