Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota RAV4 pre-2006

1979899100101103»

Comments

• I just bought my first Rav 4 to replace (sadly) my aging 86 740 volvo wagon.
    120,000 miles,auto, one owner, regularly serviced at recommended intervals, lived outdoors always, cat converter replaced at 60,000, driven primarily highway in Northern Ca....so not a lot of snow or winter conditions.
    I will need to replace tires soon.
    Can anyone recommend a tire that will offer "quiet" sure footed ride?
    Also looking for any maintenance tips that will help me get to know my new car at this point in its life. Anything I should immediately have checked, etc?
  • you might want to check and see if there are "touring tires" for the RAV. My husband just bought these for his Camry and the difference is dramatic- very quiet. A bonus - they are so good in snow that he has not had to go through the hassel of changing to studded snows, as he always had to do before.

Road noise is my only complaint about the RAV
  • jmisnerjmisner Posts: 2
    Thank you for your reply about the touring tires.
    Replaced shocks and struts which brought some bounce back into the ride.
    The ride is bouncy here anyway on San Francisco's tattered streets.
    Looking at springing for Michelin Primacy MXV4, which we bought last year for our Volvo Wagon. Huge improvement in ride comfort and handling on that car.
    Rav4 has an intermittent jiggling/rattling sound coming from about where the dash meets the windshield that I can not figure out. Anyone have a similar problem?
  • boran12boran12 Posts: 1
    Good morning.
    Is here owner of 02. - 05. automat. 2.0 petrol or lpg? What is your consumption? What is your experience? (shifting, acceleracion, driving properties,crankiness...)
  • kollingkolling Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 RAV4 which the drivers side window came out of the regulator. A new regulator was purchased and replaced as the little plastic clip had broken and I could not buy another one without buying the whole regulator.

A week after the regulator was replaced the window bracket became dislodged from the glass window. I have had glued back on with varying glass glues, but it keeps coming off again.

There has to be away to reglue the bracket back onto the window without having to buy a new window from Toyota (as suggested by Toyota), so that it stays on and does not make the window come out of the regulator. These brackets have initially been glued on so there must be a way to do it again.

Has anyone else had this problem and successfully repaired it?
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    On my '01 Mustang I was forced, finally, into using a glass drill to drill a hole to more permanently attach the "bracket".

If you could "scar" up the glass surface somehow (Kein Multimaster..??) and then use a good epoxy....??
  • I have a couple of I am sure unrelated problems. My wife has a 1997 Rav and the drivers side brake light will not work. I have replaced the bulb and it still does not work. The second issue is the drivers side headlight. It works fine on high beam, but when on low beam the light does not work until you get out and whack it. Then it works fine.

This has been a GREAT car ... maybe even as good as my Echo.

Any ideas.

Thanks
  • Dan -

Just saw this old post from you and since I am looking at a 1999 Rav4 (like the old one much better than the new ones) as a second car, I was wondering how yours worked out. Some say the engine is so weak on those, but thought I'd get another opinion. With the gas prices, etc, I thought it would be worth a try. Overall, what are your biggest gripes?

Patty
  • My 1999 RAV4 with the 4 cylinder engine will downshift when going uphill with the cruise control on but does not seem to gain enough speed to upshift back into 4th gear when the road levels out. Sometimes it will even downshift on a level road or slight downhill grade. Then it keeps on revving but does not return to a higher gear. Anybody have this problem or know the solution?
  • we recently bought a 2003 Toyota Rav4 with a 2.0. It had some issues when we bought it but we hope we can fix them. We changed the spark plugs and the coils on the spark plugs. Now when we hook it up to the diagnosic test it says AIR/FLUID SENSOR HEATER RESPONSE MALFUNCTION, AND AIR FLUID SENSOR HEATER CIRCUIT MALFUNCTION. Any ideas on what might fix this before we dump a lot of money into it?