Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota RAV4 pre-2006

Comments

• coolguyky7coolguyky7 Posts: 932
    Yeah that is possible....but we've used one of the XLE Siennas once and it had leather and a sunroof.
  • My mom borrowed a 2000 4 wheel drive RAV4 for the weekend. It has 2000 miles and is sale at $15,300. It's automatic, has the value package...power doors, locks, dark glass...no cd player though...and has antilock brakes. pretty good deal.....how does the spartan 2000 compare to the nice 2001? The 2000 felt underpowered and loud.
  • i brought a new rav 4 since then it has this funny noise in it the rattle as i called it took it to the dealer told me that its from crow panel worked on it 3 times but no change,its kind of temperature related, more in cold weather and it is enough to drive me nuts, anyone knows what should i do next,or whats the solution.thanx.ajay.
  • ajay: I don't know what you mean by 'crow panel' (cowl?). If you mean the dash/windshield area, there are others with this problem, and Toyota issued a Tech Service Bulletin on it. Seems that cure works for some, not for others. At least one guy I know of fixed it himself. He posted photos and instructions over on rav4world.com. You might try a search there; use 'dash rattle' as your search phrase.
    Good luck.
  • Never having owned a RAV4, or any Toyota for that matter, I need advice. I have the opportunity to purchase a 1998 RAV4, with 210,000 miles on it, for approx. $5,000(from a friend who wholesales cars and I trust him.) Body is in great shape. Newish name brand tires. You'd never know it had all of those miles on it by just looking. It's a 5 speed and with that many miles, they have to be highway miles, I'm assuming the transmission would be fine. What should I watch out for? Opinions?
  • brian125brian125 New york / S.C. myrtle beachPosts: 2,662
    i would not waste my time and money on a suv with all those miles on it.DO YOU KNOW FOR SURE HOW THIS CAR was driven.plus with all those miles how many oil changes do you think were done on this rav 4 with less than 3000 miles. I WOULD BET NOT MANY.my only concern would be the motor and the trany.I would say for 5000 dollars or a little more money you could buy a vehicle with less wear and tear on the motor and trans. good luck with your decision.

2013 Genesis 5.0 R-spec, 2013 Accord EXL V-6, 2012 BMW x-5, 2012 ML350

just wanted to add onto my last message.listen if your going to buy this rav4 with 210,000 miles, and i see its from your friends place do yourself a favor spend an extra 100 bucks and have a reputable mechanic check it soup to nuts.. GO YANKEE'S SORRY I HAD TO THROW THAT IN THERE. I FEEL FOR YOU REDSOX

• I like Toyotas and believe they are built to last, but $5,000 for a vehicle with 210,000 miles, one which probably cost around $20,000 new, sounds like a lot to me. Still...
    Question: How many miles would you need to get out of this vehicle for you to feel you got your money's worth? I suppose if it has no problems (check it out), and it has already gone 210k, why not 250k? I would pay $5,000 for a vehicle I liked if I thought that it would give me 2 good years of service.
    Good luck.
  • scnamescname Posts: 296
    too many miles even for a Toyota. Car may indeed worth 5000 but that's only because there are middleman who roll back the odometers. They can roll it back to 80,000 miles and sell it for 7000.
    roll back is very common in the used car buiness.SURE THEY WILL GIVE YOU 3 6 OR 1 YEAR warr. BUT guess what then your stuck with problems after the warranty,problems always seem to happen after the fact.my buddy sold used cars and i know first hand about roll back.I ALWAYS buy new. i'm not saying you cant find good cars out there. MY MOTTO TRUST NO ONE.

• 210k miles is quite a bit of mileage, even for a Toyota, as the previous poster noted. Also the fact that it's a 1998 model, it has about 4 years to rack up those miles. That's 52,500 miles per year. That many miles in such little time is hard on an engine, yes even on "indestructable" Toyota powerplants. Geez, my Camry has almost 203K miles on it, but it's almost 14 years old(1988)!
    Pass on it and look for a better deal.

-RAVvie4me
  • I would still go for the 2001 model. It's more refined, powerful (VVT-i), and better looking (even though I like the original RAV4), IMHO, than the 1st gen RAV4. The 2000 model used a revised (or should I say "modernized?") version of the 3SFE 2.0-liter 4-cyl engine (the same one used in my 1988 Camry, no joke) which is none two powerful in any form.

And what's this fascination with the word "Hmmmm" being used as a title? Hmmm? :-)

-RAVvie4me
  • I just read on another site that MotorWeek (TV show) tested a RAV4 (L, AWD, manual trans) on their latest show, and that it went 0-60 mph in 8.6 seconds, considerably faster than the 10-plus seconds usually reported. Maybe the engine on this one was broken in? Break-in seems to have made a big difference on mine with auto trans (now at 11k miles).
  • Here is the link to the text of MotorWeek TV show's RAV4 review, showing 0-60 mph in 8.6 seconds (manual trans, AWD, L).

http://www.mpt.org/motorweek/reviews/rt2014a.shtml

They also list ground clearance at 7.5 inches, different from what edmunds shows (6.7 inches).

All in all, another very positive review.

I also read that Motor Trend's July issue shows a 0-60 mph time of 9.3. The MT article supposedly contains info on the Hyundai Santa Fe as well, but that's all I heard about it.

ejp

• I purchased a 2001 RAV4 without the L package, but am interested in purchasing the color-keyed spare tire cover that comes with the L Package. The dealer is asking $400 for it. I am wondering if anyone knows a place to buy a generic color-keyed cover to match the paint ("rainforest green") or possible somewhere that gives a good price on the Toyota cover?
  • camdad: You may have a hard time getting a factory-colored green hard spare cover. In the US at least, there were no green 'L' RAVs in '01 (nor red or blue). Maybe it was different in Canada and elsewhere.
    One good place to try is toyotaguys.com. But go to rav4world.com and access the toyotaguys site from there. You'll save 15% (if they stock the item) doing it that way.
    Good luck.
  • The Santa Fe in that comparison ran a 11.1sec 0-60mph time (V6 4WD automatic). The manual 4WD RAV4 did it in 9.3sec like you mentioned.

-RAVvie4me
  • I've located a new RAV4 with most of what I want other than the sunroof. Given the difficulty of finding a perfectly-configured vehicle, I'm inclined to make an offer. I understand a sunroof can be installed aftermarket.

Am seeking thoughts on whether the absence of a sunroof will hurt resale value, and also on the quality/advisability of an aftermarket sunroof. I've had factory-installed ones for the past 20 years and so take them for granted, but could probably learn to live without.

PS this is an "L" package; seems odd that the sunroof wouldn't have been spec'd by Toyota.

Thanks.
  • adkim: You might do better with an aftermarket sunroof. I may be wrong (ahem), but I think the RAV's factory sunroof is plastic, not glass. Also, a few '01 RAV (and Highlander) owners have complained about sunroof wind and cool-down popping noises.

Resale value? I'm guessing it is not that big a deal. But then I'm not a big sunroof person - I've had 2 of them (VWs), and they both leaked sooner or later.

Good luck.
  • my daughter has had a 2001 rav4 that is pulling hard to the right. it has 2000 miles and has had 2 alignments. the tires were also checked out but to no avail. toyota is now avoiding this problem like the plauge. has anyone else had a similar problem or do we have a lemon. we would appreciate any help or suggestions.
  • This is the first I've heard of an alignment problem, and I go back-and-forth with a lot of RAVers on another site.

You say the tires were checked out; I guess you mean for tire pressure as well as tire build problems, also rotated to see if there is any difference.

Other than that, I'm at a loss. Did it have these problems when new? Did the alignments help, even temporarily?
  • You name it, I've got it on my new (1 month old) RAV4. As of 4/01, the RAVs have a new emmisions computer. This has caused my RAV to have some significant acceleration problems that are going to get me killed. Does anyone else have this problem? Please ask around. Toyota is telling me that this is operating "as designed." I hope they are kidding. It's going into the dealer for the second time next week to get checked, but they don't expect to find 'anything.' I called the 1-800 number, but they tell me the same thing. As far as the rattle noise...had that. Try the tire jack under the passenger seat. I've had to fix this twice already. Make sure it's snug (give it a twist). As far as the windshield noise in colder weather...I can't figure that one out. It happens to me in the AM hours.
  • stragerstrager Posts: 308
    My understanding is that the new RAV is plagued with problems like the rattle, that Toyota will not readily acknowledge.

Check out rav4world.com, you have plenty of company. Some people have gone to arbitration with Toyota for brake and rattle problems and Toyota has repurchased their vehicles. Good luck.
  • kevinjh1: if the windshield noise is what some people call "dash rattle", the sound roughly coming from where the two pieces come together, there is a TSB on that one. But you probably knew that from the other site. Just wanted to be sure.
  • suvshopper4: thanks - I have checked the other site and found it to be very helpful. I posted a message about the sluggish acceleration and the response is alarming. It seems there are many that have this problem, and several good suggestions to try and fix it and/or live with it. I will give a few of them a go, but still think there's a problem here. I'll continue to look for others with the problem and a fix......
    has anybody come across the 02 prices yet for the rav4. thanks

• Go to www.cars.com and choose Toyota on the homepage for new car prices...choose 2002, then RAV4 and its all there for you.

• On one of these boards (I don't know which one, and don't want to go back a couple weeks and a couple thousand posts to find out), the host posted a couple links to websites of companies selling the "Autobahn Mirror" (D+D Super-Spiegel). I ordered it, and posted to that effect. The host asked that I'd let him know what I thought of the mirror when I got it. I thought I'd post my findings here on my 'home' board. So here goes:

The mirror itself is okay, size-wise, but it has a jointed leg, about 3", that gives it such a size that it will look weird wherever I place it, especially where it 'wants' to go in my rig, stuck onto the windshield. And at US$22.95 + $5.95 s&h, it was not inexpensive.

I shoulda done before what I did today - went to my local parts place and bought 2 little stick-on fisheye mirrors, one for each outside mirror. Total cost was $2.28 plus tax. They work very well.