Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota RAV4 pre-2006

Comments

• elronelron Posts: 13
    Thanks suv shopper4. This tonneau cover thing is freaking me out. I asked for the QO package and according to these pricing sites, I should be able to order it if I have the QO pkg. I'm not paying no ballooned price for it after market. These dealers are a piece of work.
  • bjbird2bjbird2 Posts: 647
    I did not buy the Santa Fe yet, but I,m leaning that way, still looking.

I just checked J. D Powers and the ratings on the 2001 Santa Fe and Rav 4 are about equal. The Rav got downgraded in mechanical quality and body and interior quality "based on information taken from IQS study, the score is based on problems reported with":
    .engine and transmission
    .steering
    .suspension
    .braking
    .exterior paint problems
    .wind noise
    .water leaks
    .poor interior fit and finish
    .squeaks and rattles

The Santa Fe also had some problems.
    They gave their highest rating in this category to the Honda CRV.
    I quess Toyota even has problems in their first model year.
  • coolguyky7coolguyky7 Posts: 932
    Both of my parents work for Toyota (which saves me around $2000 on a new car :-) )and very soon I shall be driving and I have several decisions to make on what car I want. I have several 2002 models in mind. These are the ECHO, Corolla, Celica, Camry (redesign), Solara, RAV4 and Matrix (2003). The ECHO, Matrix and Corolla would be loaded. Celica, RAV4 would be moderately loaded while the Solara and Camry would have few options on them. I want a vehicle that can get me from point A to point B in an efficient and safe manner although it needs to be stylish, practical and easy to drive. I don't want a vehicle that wouldn't be utilized. (example-I have no use for a Land Cruiser nor an MR Spyder) I also want a vehicle that gives me a good view of the road. Someone I know has a 91 Civic...and I love how I can see the front end of the car from the passenger seat. My vehicle would definitely be automatic, have ABS and side impact airbags (if available) and a CD player. I want to know which vehicle would best suit my needs. I deeply appreciate everyone's advice. BTW--I love the silver L package RAV4 and the blue RAV4!
    The Matrix looks cool.
  • suvshopper4suvshopper4 Posts: 1,110
    bjbird2: Can you provide a link or a URL to the RAV4 JD Power info you posted in #263? I'd appreciate it.
    I found a JD Power site, but was not able to get specific info.
    Thanks.
    ejp
    My dealer had his invoice showing around $350 more than Edmunds. Is that too high or is Edmunds too low?
  • cb354cb354 Posts: 3
    bj...I would also like to see that JD Power info. I own a 2001 Rav and have experienced brake problems and many interior rattles, very uncharacteristic of toyota and dissapointing on an otherwise great vehicle. Thanks in advance... Chris
    New Jersey Rav buyers. The Protection plus security window etching charge is that charge Mandatory or what? The dealer says no.
  • raybearraybear Posts: 1,776
    The dealer is correct.
    raybear, Check it out I worded it wrong in the previous post. This is what actually happened. I ordered a rav. Did most of the paperwork(signed it). Realized after, at home, that the window etching charge was there on the paperwork. I called him( the manager) and said hey I don't want the security window etching. He said you have to have it. I said you don't even have the vehicle and it isn't even ordered yet. I don't want it. Again, he said that it's non negotiable.
  • rowerowe Posts: 2
    Just went to the dealership to have my dashboard fixed. I use a radar detector (specifically referring to the cord) that rubbed off the paint from the dash. Sounds kind of odd. Dealership told me it was not under warranty but said they would take care of it anyway. Anyone else have this problem. This is the 1st Toyota that I have had that has a painted dash.
  • suvshopper4suvshopper4 Posts: 1,110
    I bought my RAV in NJ in January.
    Window-etching was an extra that the salesman pushed heavily. Mandatory? No. Extra profit? Yes. (And the price of it is very negotiable.)
    Footnote: There may be a small insurance savings if you have the etching.
    ejp
  • gpvsgpvs Posts: 214
    On my 4runner before, they charge me $50 to put in on all the glass/window parts.
    Cancel the order then.
    Can I still cancel? What about my down payment(it's on the credit card)? I went to the dealer on Saturday((7/28). They told me the car will take anywhere from 4 to 12 weeks. Since I didn't even start to talk about financining, can I still try to get money off(doc fees, anything?)
    If it's on a credit card you can definitely cancel They're trying to pull a sleaze with the vin-etch. Tell them you're cancelling and they'll likely back down.
    I appreciate all the help! Thanks guys.
  • bjbird2bjbird2 Posts: 647
    I'm through debating the merits and faults of the Santa Fe, Liberty, RAV 4, and Escape. I drove a Pathfinder LE last night, and after getting the dealer down to $500 below invoice with 0.9% financing, I'm sold. The 2001 has a 240 HP Maxima engine and tranny, and there is no equal in the SUV category. Drive one and find out for yourself!

suvshopper4. I tried for over an hour to find the J.D.Powers site that I copied that info from, and could not find it again. That site is one of the worst to navigate. If I find it again, I'll post it on here.
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,978
    I didn't have any luck either - this is the best that I can come up with.

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

• coolguyky7coolguyky7 Posts: 932
    On a silver 2001 RAV4 with L package, spoiler, and silver step tubes...what would look best?
    a)Silver fade to black on all glass (except windshield)
    b)Mirror on all windows (except W/S)
    c)Smoked metal on all windows (except W/S)

Same question for a 2001 blue RAV4 with silver tubes and quick order package? What is involved in removing the tint that comes in the L package and applying the new tint? THANKS!