Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota RAV4 pre-2006

Comments

• caseycwcaseycw Posts: 11
    Need anyone's thoughts/opinion/help regarding the Limited Slip Differential offered as an option in the 2002 RAV4. I want to get that on the car, but the dealer says it isn't necessary and can't find one anyway, anywhere.

Anyone have any experience/knowledge of it?

I live 8,000 feet up and work 9,000 feet up in mountains and believe the limited slip would be beneficial to the ~385 avg. inches of snow we get.

Any thoughts/help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx
  • suvshopper4suvshopper4 Posts: 1,110
    I've heard that the Limited Slip Differential is a real nice item. Sounds like it could be useful with all the snowfall you get. (The ~385 inches is not a typo, right?)

But you may have to special order from the factory, or get in touch with a dealer in a city in snow country, to get LSD.

It is not surprising to me that you can't find one in CA (I'm assuming, based on your profile). Lots of people in warm climate areas report that they can't find ABS-equipped RAVs.
    Nope, 385 inches of snow is not a typo.

I have seen some of the messages on special ordering and will continue to consider that.

The dealer I am working with, Perry Motors in Bishop, is 45 miles away and very small. The dealer guy couldn't find any LSDs anywhere and doesn't think will be able to find any. He is familiar with the area and doesn't believe I need one. I still want it though!

I will say I have had no trouble finding ABS here in CA. While I am not in socal, I have done research down there and had no trouble finding them with ABS. Good luck to those who are looking.

Still looking for as much input as I can get regarding the RAV4s Limited Slip Differential option.
    Have you tried Diane at Carson (CA) Toyota?
    She has helped a lot of RAV shoppers. She had (has?) listed all the available units with options, etc., on a website (probably the dealer's).

Latest thing I recently heard on special ordering, "ordered in March, arrived in May."

Good luck.

-ss4
  • yausayausa Posts: 2
    Does anybody know where to buy an original parts and accessories for RAV4.
  • fray2fray2 Posts: 1
    Any ideas as to why the mini-SUV manufacturers do not offer quad seating as an option? We already own one SUV, the Infiniti QX4, and are in the market for a 2nd SUV, but not as large as the QX4. We have no children, so we don't have a need for third row seating. But, in test driving the Toyota RAV4, Honda CR-V, and Hyundai Santa Fe, the rear seat is quite cramped with three average sized people. So, why not go with captain's chairs and make the ride more comfortable for those in the rear. I have test driven the Buick Rendezvous, and it offers quad-seating, but is larger than I want? Any ideas??
  • nancy13nancy13 Posts: 9
    I have a 2002 RAV I purchased a couple months ago and the sunroof is leaking along the back edge. The water isn't pouring in but if I run my hand along the back edge I'll have drops on my fingers. I checked the tilt and slide button several times. I don't like the way the open/close (tilt/slide) button works...there seems to such a fine line between the two functions (atleast to me) it's hard to tell if the roof is fully closed. If I look at the exterior, the front edge of the sunroof is up above the edge of the roof just a bit, but the back edge of the roof is just even with or slightly below the roof line.

Anyone have a similar experience...any suggestions would be welcome. I haven't taken it into the dealership yet.
    Thanks!!
    I've heard good things about buying parts on-line from Romania Toyota. Never done it myself, though.
    I think they may have formerly gone by the name of toyotaguys.com.
  • i_luv_toyotai_luv_toyota Posts: 350
    is great. I ordered some maintenance items (oil/air filter, etc.) through them for my 2000 RAV4. Plus shipping is free with, I think, minimum $25 in purchases. You can also track whatever you purchase via UPS. It's worth it, better than spending big bucks at the local Toyota dealer!

BTW, they can still be accessed through "toyotaguys.com".
  • I'm writing here on behalf of a friend of mine who has a 1998 Rav4L. Her right rear passenger door stopped working. The door is closed and cannot be opened at all, from the inside or outside. Both handles feel like they are not connected to anything.

It's probably something really small that has either broken or has become disconnected with a hard door slam (she lent the car to another friend when this happened). I'm confident that we can find the problem if I can get the door open and get the inside door panels off. The real question is, how do I get the door open when both handles are non-functional?

Does anyone here have any experience like this, or any suggestions for getting the door open? I'd really appreciate some help/advice. Thanks.
  • rudy2000rudy2000 Posts: 32
    Does the 2.0 Liter have a rev limiter? Rudy
  • mathtypemathtype Posts: 33
    Some time ago, I posted a message about my difficulty in locating a RAV4 in Southern California with ABS. The trick, I discovered, is to go to the toyota.com web site and click the "Build Your Own" link. By entering a zip code and selecting 4wd or 2wd and auto or stick, you will be presented with a list of the option packages availble in that zip code for those selections. For example, I wanted a 2wd stick with ABS. When I tried various zip codes throughout California, I came up empty. However, when I switched to 4wd stick, there were several option packages listed with ABS in Southern California (both QO and L). Then, by going to the "get a dealer quote" part of the site, I was able to find a few of these vehicles on dealers' lots. (A quicker, but less satisfying, way to find a certain option package is to go to CarsDirect.com, specify the desired package, and let them use their computer to locate the car.)

By the way, the price in So Cal for a RAV4 is really low. There is currently a $500 "instant rebate" if you take delivery by June 30 and, including this rebate, some dealers are selling RAVs as much as $600 under invoice.
  • I accidentally put diesel on it. What should I do?
    Do I have to get a new engine?
    There is a great rebate available right now for the RAV4 through July 8 (date according to Longo Toyota).

I ordered one through CarsDirect.com and got $900 below invoice = the $500 rebate and $400 recent college grad rebate/financing.

I didn't get my Limited Slip Differential like I want(doesn't seem to be at all available in CA), but couldn't pass up this deal.

Look forward to owning my RAV4 and joining the 'club'.

Casey

Any word on 2003 differences/changes? Are there any?
    You might get some good answers if you post over on the "Maintenance and Repairs" board here in Town Hall.

I don't see that topic listed there, so you might have to start your own. Try giving it a catchy title like, "Diesel Instead of Gas by Mistake -Help!"

Good luck.
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,986
    I do see a Diesel in Gas engine discussion in the archives that may give you some help too.

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • h1vch1vc Posts: 295
    Yeah, thats me. I guess I should add some stuff. Took it to ford. The guy at the front desk said they'd have to do a whole bunch of things and would probably cost $500 or more dollars. So we left it there. About a week later we picked it up, bill was in the 100s, around 150 I think. The mechanic that worked on it said they ran a diagonistic, nothing was wrong, then topped the tank off with gas, had about 1-2 gal diesel in a 20gal tank. That was it. I was kind of suprised they did so little, but trusted them, they're professionals right? Fuel filter was not replaced.

The truck was never the same after that. It would smoke after every start. We took it to the dealer we bought it from. They tried to fix it. First time I went there they did something and said it was fixed. But it wasn't. Went back again. same thing, said it was fixed, but no. Third time same thing. Fourth time Ford decided to give us a new engine. Smoking after starting stopped for a couple days but then started again. We decided to change the fuel filter. That solved the smoking after starting problem for a couple days and then started again. Been doing it ever since.

If I were you I would definitely replace the filter and fuel lines. I would also have them clean the tank, check the pump-replace if necessary, and check the engine-replace parts if necessary. I sure wish I would have done it this way. Good Luck.

wantadiscoii, is the lock working? Maybe its broken, stuck on lock.
  • campoutcampout Posts: 22
    Hello to everyone on the list. My wife and I are thinking about buying a RAV4 2wd with the L package automatic. We took one for a test drive and liked it very much. Our question is has anyone used this vehicle for a drive of about 2/3 hours on the interstate, was it comfortable enough?. Does it have enough power to keep up with the traffic, or would it be wiser to check out the Highlander with a V6. For doing errands around town, the RAV4 seems like a very good choice after reading some of the postings. Any info. would be appreciated. Thanking in advance

Sincerely,
    Paul
    I've taken a number of 4-hour trips in my '01 RAV (and soon I'll be taking a 10-hour drive in it).
    I have a problem back; still, I've not had a problem with the RAV's comfort, or anything else. It cruises well and handles very well. It gets off the line fine (especially after the engine is broken in), but does not have the quicker middle-speed acceleration of a 6-cylinder, which you might want. It's no dog on the highway, though. I have learned what to expect and how to drive it, and can get a lot out of that 2.0L engine. I probably value efficiency over power more than most drivers, though.
    Good luck.
  • frankomafrankoma Posts: 4
    I'm about to buy my roommates '98 RAV AWD and it needs new tires. It has the stock 16" steel wheels and P215/70R16 tires. I need advice on whether I should stick with that size or move up to a bigger 16" or even 17" tire and alloy wheel combo. Any advantage (or disadvantage) in the larger tires?
    I'd appreciate any tire recommendations as well (must be good for all-weather conditions, including snow)...
    Thanks.