Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota RAV4 pre-2006

Comments

• Although I'm only familiar with the situation in California, my impression is that a QO, L, or (now) Sport package is included on all RAV4s imported to the U.S. So (if this is true), the base price may be deceptive, but every RAV4 does come with AC, CD player, and power equipment. However, I'd add to "must have" standard items: ABS, tonneau cover, and keyless entry. Of course, the latter two can be added by the dealer, but ABS can't. I suppose there are people who don't want to spend the extra $300 for ABS, but I've owned ABS-equipped cars for about 10 years, and I wouldn't buy a car without it.
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,687
    mini-utes are more expensive than the RAV anyway, except for the Kia, so why not just raise the base price to $19K or whatever, and make A/C, CD, and power locks and mirrors standard?

Those are now all standard features in the COROLLA, at least minus the locks, and that car costs upwards of $5K less than the RAV!

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

• diploiddiploid Posts: 2,286
    Anyone else notice that the lever on the rear seats (to flip the seats into reclining position) is really difficult to pull on?

Does it loosen up with time? Sometimes a simple pull does the truck, but most of the time you really have to yank it.
  • I'm considering to get the sunroof option. Will it leak in due time? Will it rattle , close/open position? Pls advise.
  • diploid: I've had to yank the pull tab sometimes, other times it works easily. I tried it just now, and it was easy. Maybe it has loosened up, I can't be sure. Maybe you could try rocking the seatback as you pull.

rav4d2: I've seen a couple complaints about RAV4 moonroof leakage and rattle noise (and scratching), but I don't know how common this is.
    Personally, I've had "issues" with sunroofs (on 2 VWs), so I avoid them.
  • petlpetl Posts: 610
    Being able to shift from drive to neutral is normal (all vehicles are the same). It enables the driver to stop quicker in some circumstances (like deploying the clutch on a standard tranny). The wheels stop turning. It is quite useful in rainy, icy and snowy conditions or even if the motor starts racing for unknown reasons. In emergency situations shifting from drive to neutral can be accomplished quite easily... no need to search for buttons. It will not harm any mechanical parts. If anything it should be considered a safety feature rather than a safety hazard. It also facilitates the shifting from reverse to drive.

It is recommended that you drive with the overdrive on at all times to improve gas mileage and promote longer engine life. The only time you MAY want to drive with the OD off is when driving on extremely hilly terrain and the vehicle does a lot shifting up and down searching for gears. Some may suggest that it will give you a little more power because of the different gear settings while the OD is off. However the trade-off is the motor revs higher and gas mileage suffers.
    That OD/off trick really works. I would like to add that once you get up to speed (around 40mph), you can turn OD back on.
    I drove for a week, the moonroof creaked constantly when it was closed, plus it is made of a plastic resin which is supposedly really easy to scratch.

The moonroof has creaked when closed in all of the new Toyotas I have driven in the last year or so. But I don't think leakage is a problem.

• Unless you just can't live without a sunroof, I would not recommend getting one in a new RAV. I have a sunroof in my '02 and it leaks like a sieve. Local Toyota service rep says it's the way the sunroof was designed and that there is a channel and drain holes to handle any water. So far I haven't had the energy to fight them on this.

As far as rattles, noises, etc. I really haven't had major problems.
  • On one VW I had, when the sunroof leaked I learned that the channel that is designed to drain the water around the sunroof opening (and outlet it in the wheel well via a tube) had become clogged due to leaves, etc, that had gotten into the channel. My compressor-owning buddy blew air thru and opened the tube again.
    This helped.

But like I said, I now avoid sun/moonroofs.
    are not well-equipped or prepared to handle a lot of the complaints about moonroofs, it seems. It is just part of the design, as all materials get lighter and cheaper, that it will creak as the vehicle moves and flexes. Extra reinforcement would cost money!

• 389389 Posts: 1
    suvshopper4, you paid under $21K is out of door (include tax and incense fee)? Also, the QO package include the sunroof ?
    I am in California, I order a Rav4 4X2 automatic with QO package will cost $18856 (not include tax and license). Is a reasonable price ?
  • No, my $21k was not the out-the-door price. Tax, tags, and license were extra.

The QO package does not include the sunroof. That is an extra option.

Your price for a 2WD automatic QO sounds okay, about $2k less than my 4WD automatic QO (in Jan '01).
    How does your price compare with edmunds' TMV?
  • My daughter took delivery today of a RAV4 that we ordered on May 23! For those of you who might be considering special-ordering a RAV, here's some detail on the experience.

My daughter wanted a RAV with 2wd, 5-speed, ABS, L package (which requires alloy wheels), and moonroof. It didn't take long to find out that Toyota did not import such cars into California (the ABS was the hangup). Longo Toyota agreed to special-order the car from Japan at $500 over invoice, but warned that it might take 4 months to arrive. The weird thing (which the salesman says is not unusual with special orders) is that the car never appeared on any computer listing. It just showed up today at Longo, exactly as we ordered it, without apparently ever having officially existed.

So, if you're thinking of special-ordering a RAV and are willing to wait, it can be done, but you may find it to be an exasperating experience. At times, I would have given odds that our car would never arrive.

By the way, the car turned out to be a 2003 model with an invoice price about $550 LESS than the 2002 model (most of the savings coming from a substantially reduced price on the L package). The invooice on this RAV was about $19,250.
  • Nice that you could special-order for only $500 over invoice. Sounds pretty good to me. Way to go, Longo Toyota. They even got the wait time right.

Nearly 4 months is a long time to wait for a new vehicle, but at least you got exactly what you wanted by your willingness to be patient.

Hope your daughter enjoys her RAV, and that, in the end, you think it was worth the wait.
    just ANY dealer would have done this, either. I have heard stories all over the web of dealers being unwilling, or saying it was downright impossible. I bet it doesn't hurt that Longo is the number one dealer of toyotas in the world outside Japan! At something like twice the annual sales of their nearest competitor...

• I bought one in the SF Bay Area. Here is a quick and dirty write up on it. Will post a longer and detail version, if anyone wants to read it. 2WD graphite gray color with sport package, 16" aluminum wheels, sunroof, keyless entry, and rear spoiler options. $500 over invoice with really great financing.
    what is there in the new sport package that is not appearance-based? I know it has a hood scoop and some other visual stuff. The 16" rims are the standard size for RAV - are they a special design in the sport package? Is anything else included, or do they change the suspension at all?

I believe the rims are a special size, but still 16 inchers, same as all other RAV4s.
  • The package code for the 16" is AW. It's the split 5 spoke aluminum. I think all the sport package comes built with extra options I listed from the factory. On the Built Your Own page on Toyota's website, you have to get those extra options when you select the sport package. On the sticker, the factory subtract $1000. 80% for invoice and 4% for dealer kickback is about the same as the $750 rebate they are offering on the 2002.

It's pretty much all looks. Since I didn't test drive a regular or L RAV4, I can't say. Here are the different I can think of. The graphite gray is only for the sport package RAV, it's the same color used on the IS300. The hood scoop is cover and insulated from the inside. Things I don't like compare to L package. The S doesn't come with fog lamp, tonneau cover, and hard shell tire cover. Didn't really care if the side molding color match or not.

PS. I had the dealer add the tonneau cover as a dealer option.