Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota RAV4 pre-2006

Comments

• diploiddiploid Posts: 2,286
    Yup. The only thing that differs on the RAV4 is the rather large blind spot in the C-pillar.
  • I've read that the RAV is based on the Corolla's platform, I've read it is based on the Camry's platform, and I've read it is based on the Celica's platform. I don't think the wheelbase is the same as any of these vehicles, and I seriously doubt it is a unique RAV platform, so it is likely based on some revision.

Where do I find out for sure?
    Is it specified in any official Toyota literature?
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Posts: 1,667
    I heard that it is a unique platform, but I don't remember where. I also remember reading that the AWD is from the Lexus RX300.
  • Is there a different on insurance between 2WD and AWD RAV4? How much is it around? Thanks.
  • Celica115: I don't think that there is a difference in insurance rates between a 2wd and 4wd RAV4. When my daughter got insurance for her new RAV a few weeks ago (through State Farm), the only option the agent asked about was the L package.

If you want to investigate this yourself, the obvious thing to do would be to get quotes from a few companies. You could also try www.InsWeb.com. Also note that the current issue (October) of Consumer Reports has an article on car insurance that might lead to other sources of information.
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,687
    Yes, the bigger tire size should work without rubbing, since the optional tires on the RAV are even wider, BUT you should rememb

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

er that your speedometer will be off, since the new tires are bigger...specifically it will read slower than you are actually going.

• The Toyota Highlander, Sienna and the Lexus RX300 are built on the Camry platform. Of course it's also use for the Solara as well the Avalon and ES300. The Celica, Matrix, and RAV4 are all built on the Corolla. Let's not forget the Pontiac Vibe.
    how about let's FORGET the Pontiac Vibe??!! ;-)

• Don't know why Toyota is exporting the Vibe back to Japan as the Voltz. The Matrix's look is more appealing to Asian taste. They have something call the Caldina that looks like the Matrix, but does do it for me. Anyway, at least the RAV4 made in Japan and imported here.
    for now, until they start building it in Ontario!

• suvshopper4suvshopper4 Posts: 1,110
    Where did you get your platform info?
    Can you hook me up with anything on this from Toyota?
    Thanks.
    and Highlanders sales are both up 30% over the same month (August) of a year ago...Toyota is scrambling to figure out how to be able to build more to meet demand...

• I get most of these info from reading car magazines. But if you want to read articles about cars built on the Corolla platform, search the keywords "corolla platform" on Google. Do the same for the Camry platform. Toyota is not only one that do this. Virtually all of Honda/Acura cars are built on the Civic and Accord platforms. You get a shorter list of cars that aren't built on those platforms. Nissan is starting to do platform sharing, too.
  • I am 6'4", with about a 36" inseam. Any chance I would be comfortable in a RAV4?
  • diploiddiploid Posts: 2,286
    Can't answer that question for you cause I'm not that tall. However, I can guess that your rear passengers will practically have no legroom cause your seat will more than likely be pushed to its furthest position away from the steering wheel.
    RAV seems a bit squishy for a really tall person - I had the driver's seat on the furthest back setting, and I am 7 inches shorter.

• caseycwcaseycw Posts: 11
    Jasper, you would have no problem with headroom in the RAV4. I am 6'1", have an '02 and the sunroof and have plenty of room.

With your long legs, you may have some tightness under the steering wheel.

A feature that might help is the cushion has a height/tilt adjustment.

You would really have to take one for a drive to see with your situation, esp with visibility. When you do, don't forget the cushion.
  • rav4d2rav4d2 Posts: 3
    I've seen those cool RAV4 stickers on the hard spare wheel cover, but wondering where I can buy them. Anybody could suggest a few website that I can view the various sticker option?
  • lok888lok888 Posts: 1,750
    My wife is interested in 2003 Toyota RAV 4 and Honda CR-V. The brochure on RAV 4 shows little elbow room for driver and all passengers. We also like the CR-V because it is bigger than RAV 4 and with more horsepower and 4-wheel disc brakes. But there is no leather seats and color-keyed bumper on CR-V. Any suggestions?