Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota RAV4 pre-2006

Comments

• lok888lok888 Posts: 1,750
    steve - I agree. They properly get still make money from the deal with the factory cash back or incentive. BTW, they just called me for additional $750 (in addition to the $500 dealer's offer) cash back from Toyota for the remaining 2002 RAV4s. That gives me a total of $1250 below invoice. Too bad that I lost interest in RAV4. It is too small for my family.
  • Do you have phone # I can call the dealer? $1250 below invoice is a very good deal.
  • Hello!
    After much research, consumer reports, testdrives, I bought a 2003 rav4 5 speed 2wd
    with quick order pkg at Spartan Toyota Lansing MI. Sticker after $1000 discount was
    $18500, they quoted $17,000 and I took it. Probably could have gotten for less but it
    was the only gold one I had come across and I wanted it bad. Also note I tested an automatic
    and that is a superfine setup also. I would have also bought this if it had automatic.

This is a well built car. Positives: 28.5 mpg at 1500 miles, should increase as I break
    it in. turning radius increadibly short. Interior seats 6 foot frame comfortable. handles long drives well. I do not want to get out of car, interior feels so right. My other vehicles are a 99
    Ford F 150 and a 01 Ford Expedition which get 14 mpg. Ford Escape was not and option at 17 mpg. I needed gas mileage. Santa Fe rode mushy and new Honda CRV body style plain jane and looks like car is 2 foot wide.

I have the cowl rattle. I bought the menards insulation and pep boys screws and I will do my own cowl fix this weekend (see internet sites on this), cost $20. Dealer fix not good and I
    want this car perfect. It will be.

Came with base 16" steel mag wheels. I want to put on 17" alloys. Has anyone done this and would they scrape frame? My reasoning is simple: Larger tires cover more distance per rotaion
    thus allowing engine to rev less at higher speeds, increasing mpg. plus they would really make this car look tougher. Yada Yada speedometer would be off, but who watches speed anymore?
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,687
    your mpg is only going to be better at high speeds - around town it will be worse. They just had a segment on this a couple of weeks ago on "Car Talk", and an engineer came on to talk about it.

Anyone out there have a 5 spd AWD? They are very rare here in the SF Bay Area..it would be nice if they were more available, the auto sucks a lot of power up.

The only 5 speeds I have seen are 2WDers.

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

• thelthel Posts: 767
    They're all used 2001's. They're asking about $17,000. They all appear to have the QO pkg.
  • suvshopper4suvshopper4 Posts: 1,110
    rav4man: Glad you like it. Enjoy your new ride.

mathtype: I agree. The RAV4 is real good all around (if you don't tow or climb hills regularly), but it really shines in the city.

I've found it to be a nice travel vehicle. My gf and I just took a 3-day trip, also took an 8-day trip in July. With just one rear seat removed, there was plenty of room and convenient access to all our stuff. And I can still park in "compact car" spaces.

RAV on.
  • What is the deal with the RAV4 not having a rear bumper? Is this an issue for anyone? I understand the crash test results are favorable for the RAV4, but intuitively it just seems like a bad idea to not have a bumper??

Can anyone help me on this? Don't know if it makes a difference, but I live in an urban area, so I would be concerned with issues such as tight parallel parking, etc.

Like many others, I am looking at the RAV4, CRV and Forrester.

Thanks in advance for any guidance.
  • Was just wondering, does anyone have an idea percentage wise, of how many of each type (2wd-4wd) are sold. We are trying to decide which one would be better for us living in the Northeast, doing no off-roading but contending with some snow. From other posts I have noticed that some packages or options only come in 2WD models and vice-verse. I guess my main concern is the extra initial cost of a 4WD along with the lower gas mileage.
    Thanks for any thoughts on this subject.
  • For the benefits of 4wd in snow, check out the article in the December 2002 issue of Consumer Reports. I think you will find it useful.

As for 2wd vs. 4wd in a RAV4, for me it was a no-brainer. I live in California and don't ever drive in snow or on non-paved roads. So, by ordering a 2wd RAV4:
    1. I saved about $1000.
    2. I get better gas mileage.
    3. I believe I get faster acceleration.
    4. My car has a numerically lower rear axle ratio (about 10% lower), so it turns fewer revs at any given speed.
    5. My car has a less complex power train, which might translate into better reliability.

HOWEVER, if I had to drive on snow from time to time, I might waive all the above advantages of 2wd in favor of the increased security that 4wd offers. ALSO, you are right about the fact that Toyota bundles certain options together based on region. For example, in 2002, it was literally impossible to get a 2wd stick shift RAV4 with antilock brakes anywhere in California. To see which option packages are available in your area, go to the "Build Your Own" section of toyota.com, put in your Zip code, and you will see which combos of options are possilbe.
  • Many thanks for the info. After visiting the Toyota site, I know exactly what I have to choose from. If I want a 5-speed, the 4WD is my only choice.
  • There are a couple of things going into the design of the rear of the RAV-4. First, as an SUV, there actually isn't any requirement for a rear bumper. However, as is shown by the crash test results, they do have all of the crumple zones built into the rear of the vehicle. The rear quarters do have bumpers built into them, but a bumper across the whole rear would have to detrimental effects to the vehicle. First, the spare would have to be higher, impeding the visibility, which if you've driven one, you'll notice it doesn't do now. Secondly, the load floor would need to be both higher and stick out further, impeding the ability to load the rear. One of the best parts about the RAV is that the cargo floor is so low, it's very easy to get things into and out of.
  • Toyota allocate it's models base on regions. I am pretty sure that in your region, there are more AWD models available. In the built your car section of Toyota's website, the first thing it ask is your zip code. Also some dealer websites do have an online inventory section. Check that listing and you should at least see what is available.
  • for a major business daily. I am the reporter for a fun auto feature and am seeking drivers of the Toyota RAV-4 [hhybrid electric model]. If you drive such a car, please email me at lanetef@yahoo.com and include your daytime telephone number so I can call you to talk about your experiences with the vehicle
  • My wife has decided she wants a 2wd, automatic, L model Rav4 (either 2002 or 2003). I need some advice on how much I should be willing to pay. I'm willing to be pateint and look until I find the best deal. I live in the midwest if that makes any difference. Any opinions??
  • 79377937 Posts: 390
    My son's 2002 Rav4 which is 6 months old developed a large crack in the windscreen while parked overnight in the locked garage. The crack is right in front of the driver and is getting bigger all the time. There are no chip marks to show that a stone could have started it.

I think the winscreen was stressed when it was installed. What do others think and has this happened to anybody else?
  • Price out the options on Edmund's new car section. Pay $300 to $500 over invoice and that should be a good deal. My local dealer was in the Costco car buying program and their pre-negociated price was $800 over invoice. But I got it down to $500 over invoice.
  • Hello everyone! I'm new on this site. I've recently been considering the RAV4. I was on a Santa Fe kick for some time, did a lot of research, test drove it a couple of times, really liked it. I've since moved on to the RAV4. I'm not too keen on the 4 cylinder, but I like the styling much better. Combed through the '03 brochure; now here's my question: Does anyone know much about the Sports package? I've spoken to 2 different dealers. Neither of them knew about this pkg. Both insisted I was talking about the "L" pkg. They looked into it and apparently it's not being made in the NY (Buffalo) area yet -- possibly spring. Has anyone seen this package on an '03 or have any knowledge about this? FYI, it changes the front grill and has a hood scoop, just to name a couple items I'm interested in. I already went into Toyota.com and typed in my zip - not available yet. I'd appreciate any info anyone has. Thanks!
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    Welcome aboard! We're glad you're here.

I know the fine members who frequent this forum will be more than happy to help you out and we look forward to hearing more from you!

tidester, host
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,687
    all automotive glass is pre-stressed in order to meet crash specifications under U.S. federal law.

What most likely happened here is that there was a rock, then there was a tiny crack that no-one noticed for a while, then it got bigger and bigger as they tend to do with more driving, until finally it was too big to miss.

The upside is there are companies that will actually come to where the car is and install the new windshield on the spot, so you are minimally inconvenienced.

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

• 79377937 Posts: 390
    No, this was a large crack that appeared overnight. I brought an industrial microscope from work and carefully examined the entire lenght of the crack. No evidence of any chip marks. By stressed I mean that the glass may have been stressed in the frame of the vehicle. I have heard of cases where windscreens in certain cars have a history of cracking. I hope the 2002 RAV4 is not one of them.