Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota RAV4 pre-2006

Comments

• daryll44daryll44 Posts: 306
    Can anyone tell me about the safety (crash tests, rollover issues) of the RAV4? I am thinking about buying a '05 full loaded including the side airbags. Of course they are not in the showrooms yet, but I would imagine will arive before you know it. But I am wondering how safe this will be when my teenage daughter learns to drive on it (and will use it after she learns) next year.
  • crhcrh Posts: 29
    We're looking into a 2004 Rav4 for a 3rd family car. I can't seem to find out when the '05s come out. I assume that once they hit the showrooms, the dealers will be a little more easy to deal with for the '04s. I live in Northern Virginia, and the Toyota dealers around here have tons of '04s on the lots. Does anyone know when the '05s will be here?
  • andil1andil1 Posts: 97
    Here's the link to the crash worthiness report -- http://www.hwysafety.org/vehicle%5Fratings/ce/html/0411.htm

There just was a big test done by the government on rollovers, but the Rav4 was not one of the vehicles tested.

For 2004, the side airbags only seem to be available on the loaded 4wd's. Hopefully, the 2wd's will have them as an option next year.

Your daughter is a lucky young lady!
    The reason we are looking at this car is because the primary driver will be our daughter, who will be a new driver. Everything I've read concerning safety seems to point me to the RAV4. I've also noticed, when looking at the local dealer inventories, that the AWDs are the only ones that have the side curtain airbags. We are also looking at the Malibu Maxx. My husband likes the Santa Fes, but the side curtain airbags aren't an option there.
  • andil1andil1 Posts: 97
    CRH, are you aware that Hyundai is debuting a RAV4/CRV sized mini-SUV, the Tucson, this fall? It will have both side airbags and side curtains standard on both the 4 and 6 cyl models, and adds traction control on 6 cyl. Edmunds has a message board for it as well as an article in the Future Vehicle section. Plus the HyundaiUSA website has info. Just food for thought...
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    Here's the link: Hyundai Tucson - 2005

tidester, host
    Thanks so much! I didn't know that. We are just in the initial stages. My husband asked me just last night if I knew whether or not Hyundai offered a smaller SUV. I'll check it out.
    My guess is that will make the RAV even more price competitive. Not that ANY Toyota needs to be sold at or below cost like GM/FORD/DCX has to do. But it does mean that anyone considering a purchase now would probably get the same or better deal if they wait a month (or less) and get the '05.
    I did send an email to the local Hyundai dealer and he responded that they think they will have the Tucsons in two weeks. I agree with the above that waiting would be the smart thing to do. There are still alot of 04 Ravs on the lots here, and between the 05 Ravs and the Tucsons, I would imagine there will be some dealing room in a few weeks that isn't there today. I am very interested in the Hyundai but with some reservations. I feel like the Toyota is a known entity, whereas from what I've read, the Hyundais seem to have some service issues. I'm also not nuts about buying the first model year of anything...just too many unknowns. On the other hand, my husband really likes the Santa Fe, and with a significant amount of hail damage to his 96 Acura last week, he is considering a new vehicle for himself. Walking into a dealer and buying two vehicles at once might give us quite a bit of bargaining room as well.
    "two vehicle" leverage at Toyota as at Hyundai.

I agree that Hyundai is "up and coming". But if it were my dollars, I'd stick with Toyota.
  • yooper53yooper53 Posts: 286
    I've ruled out all but RAV4 & CR5. The fact that the Toyota has Traction/Stability Control makes it choice #1 for me. I don't believe the CR5 even offers T/S Control.
    Seems like it'd be safer for a young girl or anyone else to have T/S Control than not. The Toy offers that, if I understand it correctly.
    I currently drive a '01 Mazda Protege ES and as much as I like that car (I plan on keeping it!)I decided on a mini ute for the sole reason of ease of entrance and egress as I slide towards geezerdom at age 56. :o)

I have an unused factory strut tower brace complete kit to install.

Like, Zoom zoom man.

Yooper 53
    I'm waiting to see what Honda and Toyota have to offer for '05.

Yooper 53
  • jcliffrojcliffro Posts: 108
    So all readers are aware that the Insurance Institute conducted two tests of 2004 RAV-4s, first without side/curtain airbags? That one received a POOR rating. Toyota then provided a 2d model with side/curtain airbags and that model received a BEST PICK. Why not one RAV-4 in all the inventories of the dealers in the entire Gulf States region is equipped with this option is shameful in my opinion and is one reason why I have not purchased a Toyota SUV. The same problem exists with 4Runners and Highlanders. They are happy to load these vehicles up with $1700 Extra Mile Packages that are useless compared to side airbags. So if you live in a region where side air bag equipped RAV-4s exist, lucky you. Hold firm and let the ones not so equipped rot on dealer lots; maybe then Toyota will get the message.
    Roger that!

Yooper 53
    Any of you who are serious about trying to remedy Toyota's failure to equip its models with side air bags/curtains, PLEASE do the world a favor and register your complaint with their corporate section by calling 800 331 4331, extension 3. Please do some homework in your area first. As I mentioned earlier, I did a web search for inventory equipped 4-Runner SR-5 and Sport models (Toyota is happy to equip Limiteds with side air bags at a total cost of $6,300+ more) and RAV-4s of any model in the greater New Orleans area. Out of over 150 4-Runners there was only 1 in the entire area (and it was in the only color I did not want) and out of over 200 RAV-4 models, there were none. If you need help on how to conduct such a search in your area, let me know. If you had seen the Dateline NBC program on this, you would not even consider buying a Toyota without this feature, so please take a few minutes to voice your opinion to Toyota.
  • rhouser2rhouser2 Posts: 114
    if you want airbags on a any vehicle order one from the factory. why do you think you have to pick something the dealer has on the lot?
    it takes a long time to special order, some dealers won't do it and they always charge A LOT MORE for special orders. who does NOT want side air bags? just curious.
  • 307web307web Posts: 1,033
    Some people want to save the money.
    Some people are frightened that if someone is sleeping and leaning against the door when the car gets broadsided, the airbag might injure them whereas if they were leaning against the door sleeping while the car was broadsided and there was no airbag, they would be safe.
    Was answer 1518 a joke? OK, assuming it was not, People, can we have a vote?

(A) If you are more frightened that if someone is sleeping and leaning against the door when the car gets broadsided and they are injured by THE AIR BAG, please vote A.
     (B) If you are more frightned that a drunk or stupid person broadsides your vehicle while you are driving along minding your own business and paying attention to all traffic laws and in the process smashes to you smithereens because your vehicle was not equipped with side air bags by a manufacturer who knew they could save your life but for whatever reasons neglected to install them, please vote B.
      I thank you for your time.
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 40,805
    I think the real concern is kids:

"children who are seated near a front or rear side air bag can be at risk for serious injury." link

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    How about

(C) We ask for clarification rather than baiting with provocative polls?

:-)

tidester, host
  • 307web307web Posts: 1,033
    Yes, some people are more concerned about themselves or small children being injured by a side airbag than they are concerned about injuries sustained from the vehicle not having side airbags in a collision.
    Plus they save some money by skipping the side airbags that they can apply towards other options, and dealer-installed accessories etc..
    I must apologize. I did not think that there were knowledgeable people in the world who did not want a vehicle equipped with life saving side air bags and air curtains. But then again, I cannot imagine who likes sitcoms with piped in laughter, mobile homes, cheea pets and those hanging light fixtures with Venus in the middle surrounded by wires that drip some kind of oil, yet those products sell. I guess I got my answer as to why Toyota manufactures so many of its vehicles without side air bags. Thank you for your clarification.
    so you are saying its wiser to delete the airbags and buy splash guards or side step bars than it is to save a life? get real!
    I take it you are voting Choice B, rhouser2? Something tells me you own no cheea pets. You probably don't smoke cigarettes either.
    you got that right. life is was to precious to throw away.
    Thanks rhouser2

So far we have: Choice A (afraid of being killed by air bag) 1

Choice B (afraid of being killed by another driver) 2

Even at this early stage, I would think a 2 to 1 margin would warrant Toyota equipping at least some portion (how about 1/3?) of its RAV-4s all across the country with the side air bag option.
  • jcliffro

your proposal makes sense , but i thought toyota made side air bags an option,especially for buyers who picked [A] or [C} . thats what nice about toyota , you have about at least 15 options to select from . So if you want save $650 and not have side air bag option , you have that choice . I just bought 04 RAV4 with side air bags ,guess that gives you a vote for [B ] .

To those who decline side air bags ,i have a question : they can always replace your vehicle , but can they replace you ?

Ride Safe and Smile
  • Scottdude

when you mentioned that you noticed that every RAV4 was driven by a woman , i myself have noticed that also . but when i shopped for new SUV , the RAV4 was hottest looking [in my eyes] small size SUV out there . So when i bought my 04 RAV4 , it was white L . i forgot all about 'gender' and focused on what I WANTED . let me know when you get your RAV4 .

cheers
    I am glad you contributed to the demand for side air bag equipped Toyotas. Note that my gripe with Toyota has never been that side air bags are an option, it is that Toyota equips NONE of their RAV-4s, base Highlanders or SR-5 or Sport 4-Runners with those options in the entire Gulf States region, Southern California and, I'm sure, other sections of the country as well. What that means for people in these regions who cannot wait to order a vehicle is that they have NO CHOICE as to side air bags and I believe it is that policy which is shameful and reprehensible. If it is Toyota's distributor that orders the vehicles that way, I still believe Toyota itself should step in and right that terrible wrong. You are so lucky you live in an area of the country where you have a choice. Just for the record, may we all have that general area where you live?