Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota RAV4 pre-2006

Comments

• Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,931
    I believe that means the NAV covers all the continental U.S. and parts of Canada, Ontheroadagain. I assume the DVD holds enough info so that you don't have to swap disks if you go cross-country.

Steve, Host
  • I wonder if Toyota had planned to offer the side airbags/curtains in the RAV-4 before the Insurance Institute rated the RAV-4 as UNACCEPTABLE in its crash testing of small SUVs. Perhaps if that was any influence on them at all, they will also heed the Institute's advice that the exterior rear tire is a lousy idea. I recall that when the RAV-4 was bumped into an obsticle at only 5 MPH, the tire broke the back window and caused thousands of dollars of damage. It would be great if a redesign of this rear tire flaw were forthcoming as well. After all, the Subaru doesn't carry its rear tire there.....
  • I think the best thing to do is not bump into things while going backward at 5 mph. Honda CR-V owners might agree.

Subaru makes fine station wagons, if that's your style.
  • wheelz4wheelz4 Posts: 569
    (or something like that!)
    How many SUV's in the US market have a tire hanging on the rear door......CR-V, RAV-4, Jeep Liberty & Wrangler, the Suzukis's, a couple of Land Rovers (though not the Range Rover) and that's about it. How many SUV's DON'T have a tire hanging on their rear door. WAY MORE.
    I don't think you could call an X-Terra, Grand Cherokee, FourRunner, Explorer, Expedition etc etc. a station wagon.
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,669
    a very dramatic video that showed the whole rear end of the RAV crumpling when the rear tire was impacted. Why is it that they can't stow this tire underneath?

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

• OK, now you've all practically convinced me that the RAV4 is not the best car to buy. The lack of bumper and the cost of repairs is pretty darn high...not that I plan on getting hit, etc., still...it's something to consider.
  • Well, I ended up going with a Subaru. The crazy insurance cost of the RAV4 coupled with Toyota's high lease financing and low residual value made it pretty unattractive by the numbers. The Impreza Outback Sport is $1800 cheaper list price, $700 less per year for me to insure, and better equipped than the comparable RAV4. Even has the same ground clearance. The Sube is smaller inside, but that's not going to be an issue for me.
  • anyone tested drive it yet? How is the ride comparing to the older models? I have heard a lot of people complaining about the loud noise from the road and engine, does the problem still exist?
  • Your answer made absolutely zero sense. It is the equivalent of saying that as long as you opt not to get hit on the side, you don't need side air bags. There is such a thing as other drivers who might hit you from behind at a very slow speed, perhaps when they are backing out in a parking lot when you are not around. Toyota needs to redesign this rear tire/rear bumper thing ASAP.
  • With only limited (test) driving of earlier (2001-03) RAV-4s, I can say, with several thousand miles on it. that my new 2004 (2WD-auto) RAV is a great improvement over the 2.0 liter version. At interstate speeds, engine and wind noise levels are muted and handling is great. At 78 mph it loafs along at 2.7 kilorevs and has lots left for passing. On acceleration, power really picks up at about 4000 rpm and I can't imagine normal people complaining about lack of power with this version, but then, I did not think that its 2.0 liter predecessor had inadequate power either. A great, sporty little SUV that has now gotten even better with more cc.
  • spleck, thanks for that website with the VIN #s...very handy since my local Toyota dealer only has one 2004 RAV4 at present and it's a dealer's demo. (By the way I asked him about the "lack of rear bumper" issue and he disagreed. Hmmm.)

rodkent, thanks for posting your impressions. Sounds like a nice, small, well constructed car...except maybe that rear bumper.

When do they retest these cars for crash tests?
  • You think my answer made "absolutely zero" sense?
    I'll try to explain: The test backs the vehicle into a post at 5 mph. To avoid such a result, I suggested not backing into well-anchored vertical cylindrical objects at 5 mph.
    Capice?
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    Capice?

Actually, it's spelled capisce! :-)

tidester, host
  • does anyone have rattling noises under dashboard, and clicking noises on driver side seat and rear right
    passenger seat like it's not locked in place.
  • i just got my 2004 RAV4 last saturday. I did not notice any noise problem inside the car. However, what you mentioned about the clicking noise from the driver seat, I did hear that a couple times already, maybe I should take it back to dealer and check it out. Overall, I enjoyed the first 2 days of driving my new car. =)
  • So it is a Chevrolet Capisce? Huh.
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    A "Caprisce" perhaps? ;-)

tidester, host
  • The rattle is a problem in the re designed RAV 4 beginning in 2001. The problem is really apparent in cold weather climates. Here is a link with a brief synopsis of the problem:

http://members.tripod.com/ri_rav4/rattle_tsb.htm
  • Can owners tell me what gas mileage they get with 2WD auto and 4WD auto? Remember to state 2WD or 4WD please! Thanks.