Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota RAV4 pre-2006

Comments

• petlpetl Posts: 610
    You can do whatever you wish. It's your money. For the record, there have been documented incidents (RAVWorld) where the RAV (without side air bags) was also totalled and the occupents escaped serious injury. There are many deciding factors that determine the outcomes of accidents "speed, angle of impact, size of other vehicle or structure, seatbelt worn (probably more important than supplementary restraint systems), the list goes on. Peace of mind is not a guarantee but it will cost money.
  • suvshopper4suvshopper4 Posts: 1,110
    I think you meant to direct your post to 555...
    That is who I was quoting, from his earlier post.

I don't view my side airbag-less RAV4 as a coffin on wheels.
    And I intend to keep it for another 10+ years.

-ss4
  • revitrevit Posts: 476
    Have not heard, but Toyota, if you are listening...make the vehicle safer and make the side airbags standard.
    Of course as is the case with anything, you can find documented incidents to justify everything possible. Peace of mind may not be a guarantee, by side airbags on the Toyota RAV4 are not really available; contrary to what Consumer Reports would have you believe.

Refer to the actual crash test at Insurance Institute for Highway Safety.
    I apologize. I did direct my comments to the wrong poster. It appears that the poster is looking for a reason to unload the RAV. Nothing wrong with that. However there is an old expression "be careful what you wish for". The RAV is an excellent altenative to the large SUV. Unfortunately we are living in world where big is better. The RAV would probably fair well in a collision with most cars and may not against larger vehicles (logic).

I also want to correct some information in my earlier posting #1590. The vehicle was the Isuzu Trooper not the Susuki. Isuzu made a similar vehicle for Honda (prior to Honda manufacturing their own SUV). The lawsuit was dropped by Isuzu. Variety is good. It would be boring if everyone liked the same things or if everyone thought the same way.
    "Peace of mind may not be a guarantee, by side airbags on the Toyota RAV4 are not really available; contrary to what Consumer Reports would have you believe."

CR is just stating what Toyota is claiming. If side air are not available in your area. Talk to Toyota.

"Refer to the actual crash test at Insurance Institute for Highway Safety."

I frequently do. If you would have read my posting that is precisely what I stated. CR does not crash test vehicles but they print the results of the organizations (including the IIHS) that do. The information is there to help people decide which vehicle best suits their needs.

I guess you missed the section in the Consumer Reports where it states that electric stability control (ESC) is standard this year on the RAV, A first for a small SUV.

I've read some of your postings on other message boards. You're a real Honda fan. I'm not knocking it but it's a fact. It appears to interfere with some of your assumptions. Don't knock CR for rating the RAV and the Matrix higher than the CR-V. Although not perfect, I'll rely on CR before other car mags for all vehicle related information.
  • 5553543255535432 Posts: 150
    Hi,

I used to be an avid Toyota fan,coz I have seen a Toyota Corona with 756,000 klms, roughly 472,000 miles.The car look ugly from the outside but purred like a car out from the dealership.Haven't seen any car yet with that kind of mileage and coming from a country where heavy traffic is around 10 miles per hour. It was amazing to see a car run that much and I bet may still be going.That was about 3.5 years ago. I subscribe to CR too via the net and the magazine (the magazine I discontinued,as a protest to CR), thats why I have faith on Toyotas in the area of reliability.

I also test droved the Rav 4 and the Honda CRV before buying it and even with my laymans senses I find the Rav 4, more peppy, agile and better looking. Thus I bought a RAV 4 2003, from Antwerpen Toyota Maryland, and they charged me 16.5% APR coz they say I didn't have enough credit history.(I was only in the U.S for 10 months). They further told me that sideairbags are a joke and you don't really need it coz it harms small passengers. The naive me bought that line without question. Eight months later, I was wondering why Honda gave me a 4.5% APR on a Pilot for my wife. My co-workers who came to this country as nurses too got a Honda Odyssey on their 7th month of stay. APR 6%. Does Toyota have a racial preference among buyers? Correct me if I'm wrong but that is how I feel. I could give you the Vin no of that Odyssey to prove I'm not fabricating anything.

In the course of my work as an OR nurse I was thrown into orthopaedics and you would see an amazing difference in terms of injuries and probably survival rate of T-boned victims with and without side-airbags. It is downright scary,and messy, my tough stomach gives in sometimes. Even the best doctors would't be able to patch up those mutilated bodies back to even a bit of normalcy. If you see if first hand you would close your eyes and shell out more money just to get a car with sideairbags. The few thousand bucks is well worth it.Believe me a portruding left ribcage, or losing half of a human face is not a pretty site, much more if it is you or a family member.If you face the same predicament or line of work that I am in, you would understand why I call my RAV4 a cute ute I mean C O F F I N.

Yes, I wouldn't deny I'm a converted Honda fan now. I find Honda more humane coz they put most of their safety features on their low end models and not just on the more expensive ones. Models which are about the only one I could afford 2 years ago.Toyota lost me (not that it matters to them losing one client for life who will make it a lifelong crusade to convert people to any brand but Toyota, converted 6 and counting)because their dealers lied to me about the importance of sideairbags, swindled me at 16.5% APR (people with really bad credit got better rates than me)THE SWINDLING PART I CAN TOLERATE BUT LYING ABOUT SIDE-AIRBAGS IS UNFORGIVEABLE.

To sum it up I converted to Honda because Honda has a social conscience that translates to making safe vehicles for the moneyed as well as those with less in life.Toyota is out for profit and profit alone.In it's quest to unseat GM as the topdog in the car business, it has forgotten the very people that put it as topdog no 2, the masses, the very market that laps up their products with unwavering trust and faith on the T brand.Toyota, how much more billions do you need before you even try putting a sideairbags on your low end cars? The one that most of the masses can afford.

PS

Nevertheless, I'm in this forum to solicit the advice of people who had experiences with Pick-ups. Whats the best pick-up to lease for two years out their next to the Tacoma (I was 3 days close to getting one to replace my Rav 4 but the Tacoma tipped during the rollover test, besides I don't think it has airbags too.)The pickup should have sideairbags and a V6 engine, manual or AT is OK.
    So what did you learn from your experience as a first-time US car buyer?

I hope you learned not to take the salesperson's words at face value. Some of them will take advantage of people who do not know any better.
    Do your own research, including researching financing options, and make your decisions based on that. Learn to protect yourself.

I don't doubt that a vehicle with side airbags is safer.
    But I've driven for over 30 years, most of the time in vehicles with NO airbags at all, and I've been fine, so I don't view a modern vehicle with front airbags but without side airbags as a coffin. That is ridiculous, and that is where you lose sympathy and credibility.

Don't like your RAV4 because you think it is unsafe? Get rid of it; it has high resale value. And stop crying about it.
    Thanks for the advice about getting rid of it, coz I sure will before this month ends.Any suggestions on what pickup to lease for two years.Any brand is ok as long as lease is reasonably price, V6 only, with SIDEAIRBAGS. Heaviest stuff to tow is only a 3500 lbs. Boston Whaler boat, and the occasional run to Home Depot on weekends.

Thanks a lot.
    I'll repeat my original statement. Don't knock CR for the apparent problems you have encountered with Toyota. It still looks like you are looking for a reason to switch (justifiably?). I'll refrain from commenting on the rest of your post (since only one side of the story has been presented). suvshopper4 seems to have covered it pretty well.
    Hi,
    I realize I may be at the wrong forum coz no one is taking seriously my plea for advice on what is one of the better pick-ups to lease.
    Could you direct me to the most unbias site, The brand of the lease truck does not matter to me as long as it is not a Toyota Pick-up.
    For the record, inspite my knocking of CR, for them recommending the RAV4, I still have faith of them. My IPOD, PDA,computer, lawnmower,and interior or exterior paints are CR best buys. When it comes to cars, only then I would take their advice cautiously.
    You found your way to this forum.

Why can't you find your way to a Pickup forum???
  • 719b719b Posts: 216
    this whole topic about side air bags is full of cry babies.
    auto companies have resisted safety belts and air bags for years. why direct your venom at car manufacturers, when their history shows they always resisted safety and clean air standards?
    if side air bags are so important to you, quit complaining and do something about it.
    get hold of your legislator and have them enact a law like they did with catalytic convertors, seat belts, and front air bags.
    your other option is to not buy the rav4. either way stop complaining.
    all you're doing here is whining.
    I am taking you seriously. The only advise I can give is to gather as much information you can from the different message boards and car mags. However don't expect to get unbiased opinions. CR is still your best bet.

Your issues with Toyota seem to clouding your reasoning senses. It's like your trying to blame Toyota and CR for your decision to buy the RAV without side air bags. The RAV was recommended by CR based on reliability and how well it perfomed during testing (period). Information reguarding safety issues are available in the Consumer Reports and on different web sites.

The fact remains Toyota manufactures reliable vehicles throughout the world. If you wish not purchase one again is fine. I'm certainly not going to recommend any truck for you to buy. If it malfunctioned or did not perform (on the road or in an accident) as well as you expected, you may be angry with me.

No hard feelings. Good luck in your search for your dream truck.
    Hi,

Thanks a million,I'll still consult CR now and then for the truck I need.I hope the other forums I've visited would answer my questions about Pick-ups, last time I've visited it, twas an endless discussion of packages, options, launch dates for 2005's.Twas beyond my poor brain could understand.

I love this country coz of someones freedom to whine and be a crybaby in an intelligent way without getting shot. Whiners have made cars a lot safer.Whiners shake up status qous leading to better and better products.Reasonable whiners make this forum a great place to be.

You have a good day.
  • 719b719b Posts: 216
    depends what you call reasonable. doers get things done, not whiners.
    you're right about whiners. reminds me of the spoiled kid stomping his feet at the grocery store because his mother won't buy him a candy bar.
    as adults there is a better way.
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    Whats the best pick-up ...

You can start here: Lost in the Town Hall? Ask the Pickups Host for directions!

tidester, host
    Thanks a lot, hope I could comprehend what their talking about. Hope their not a bunch of mechanics, most auto terms is still beyond me.
  • ess2ess2 Posts: 4
    I need a car that I can get into and out of easy. Starting with the BIG A in the knees. I have a Saturn which sits too low for me now.

I test drove a Rav4 (loved it) but does anyone know how the Subaru Forrester seating height is like before I go Subaru dealer and listen to their salesmen?

This site seem more active then the one I posted on perviously.

Thank you
    Sorry, but you have to blame Consumer Reports for selecting a vehicle that can basically never be found at a Toyota dealership and being far from what the majority of consumers are able to purchase.

Even worse is Toyota then put the RAV4 at their top pick in small SUVs and have the nerve to then comment on one of the pros of the vehicle is it's excellent crash test. Give me a brake, Consumer Reports is deceiving the consumer and manipulating their reviews.
    I've read some of your postings on other message boards. You're a real Honda fan. I'm not knocking it but it's a fact. It appears to interfere with some of your assumptions.

Actually, that is incorrect. I just find it difficult for Consumer Reports to recommend a vehicle as some consumer take EVERYTHING the magazine states for granted although their reviews are inconsistent and conflict with one another.

CR reviews a car like it is an appliance and what it overlooks is usually more important than what they generally emphasize.

You can rely on the personal opinion of any magazine, but then there are the crash test and they are what they are.

Fact is if a consumer is driving a 2004 Toyota RAV4 without side airbags compared to a 2004 Honda CRV with side airbags, the occupants are going to suffer great injury. Side airbags save lives and obviously Toyota is not as concerned with safety as Honda; very disappointing.
    Actually, no one is complaining, but more suprised that consumer don't even think twice what Consumer Reports states in their auto reviews when in reality, their reviews are far from being even accurate and mislead the consumer.

Consumer Reports needs to retract it's recommendation of the Toyota RAV4.
  • I just bought a 2005 Rav4
    I have noticed, with the window down, there is a squealing sound from the engine, at low speeds.I didnt notice this when test driving, But might have been distracted..
    Is this a normal thing.. I love the car
    But need to know , if this is something I should be concerned with, or do I just keep the windows up
    Thanks if anyone has an answer.
    Also the fan seems to turn on very frequently. Much more than my other Toyotas
    Normal or Not
    PS... It is a fun car
    Amen, to that.And again I say amen.
    I wonder if CR is dipping it's hands at Toyotas deep really realy deep pockets to recommend a Toyota Rav4.
    Wonder why the comparo didn't involve the CRV, is it because it will be a no contest with CRV garnering the top honors.CR, are you listening?CR / Toyota you may fool as once and shame on you, but if you can do it twice in a row shame on us.
    CR do us a favor, how about a shootout between the CRV 2005 and a RAV 4 2005.You can also include the Sieena 2005and the Odyssey 2005. If your shootout will show the same results with Car and Driver magazine, as well as
    Edmunds then I'll shut up my whining mouth.
    It is more than obvious from the bias reviews of Consumer Reports that Toyota is definitely contributing some funds. When any source uses terminology in the manner that they write their reviews, it is unfortunately that they present only half of the truth.

Of numerous emails I have sent to them, I have yet to get a response, yet they present themselves as open to consumer feedback and so forth.
  • rav4urav4u Posts: 21
    My 2004 developed the same squealing sound at 400 miles. It does it when it is cold and then usually disappears when it hot after several miles. The dealer told me it was intake noise, but I'm not convinced because I didn't hear it until 400 miles. I drove another 2004 RAV4 and it had the same noise although not as loud as mine. It's an annoying noise and I would not have purchased the car if I heard it during the test drive. I think it's some kind of a defective part or problem, but my dealer keeps giving me the line that it's normal. If it's normal why wasn't it there when I bought the car? At this point I'm frustrated.
    Give it a break. I doubt either of you have any intension of ever purchasing a RAV. Your only purpose for posting on this board is to discredit Toyota and Consumer Reports for their method of recommending vehicles (Toyota vehicle's in particular). I'll repeat one final time CR recommends vehicles based on how well they perform and their reliability. Crash test information is also provided in the Consumer Reports to assist readers in their vehicle buying decision.

Unlike CR, the fact remains Car and Driver accepts money from manufacturers and includes more subjective criteria in evaluating vehicles (to arrive at the desired conclusion). Although not perfect I'll accept CR's method before the other car mags. Fortunately, intelligent people can and will think for themselves.

I'll allow you the last biased word, that's it for me on this topic. Oh and by the way, I never disputed the fact that side air bags were beneficial (they are only one of many safety features that should be considered as reported in CR).
    Crash test information is also provided in the Consumer Reports to assist readers in their vehicle buying decision.

Give me a break...they manipulated the actual test results as they always do to favor Toyota. Read the article and compare the terminology that they use...they are obviously bias and now recommend an unsafe vehicle...very disappointing.

Consumer Reports has lost all credibility.
    Yup I have no intention of buying a RAV 4, even if Toyota comes up with a sweet deal rebate.I have one right now it's a 2003,sky blue, fwd without freakin sideairbags.Toyota Financing gave me a really really hell of a deal, a financing of 16.5% APR. (highway robbery, what do you think)? Thats why I have a first hand eperience of how it performs and how reliable it's been so far. With my first hand experience of a RAV 4, I'll say this again, it rides a tad better, drives a tad better and is a tad better lookin than the Honda CRV 2003, but those features I'll gladly give up for a sideairbag, a simple LIFESAVING LIMB SPARING PEACE OF MIND GIVING SIDEAIRBAG.

I'm not out to descredit Toyota, am just a concerned consumer merely stating a about my suspicions of Toyota and CR in cahoots to sway customers to their not so safe top dollar products. I's a free country you know, if a potential car buyer doesn't believe what I say in this forum, or believe it, it's his/her choice.

It is my noble intentention as a health care worker who have seen a lot of missing/ mangled bodyparts that I may spare a person or two the pain of loosing someone, or see a loveone suffer just because he /she choose a vehicle which is less safer the RAV 4 than the many other options out their.
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,451
    I don't think your conspiracy theory passes the sniff test. And most consumers don't want to pay for safety - the government had to force seat belts on the manufacturers because few people wanted to buy them when they were optional.

Maybe you should start your crusade with motorcycles?

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.